DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Hide Wikipost
Old 06-24-17, 06:22 PM   -   Wikipost
DVD Talk Forum Thread Wiki: Pet Peeves?
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Music
This thread not having a Wiki was a peeve.... but that's since been fixed.

(reserved for list of peeves)

You don't smoke weed? - kvrdave

Very informative Wikipost, thanks!!!

Print Wikipost

Old 07-24-13, 03:29 PM   #76
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Pet Peeves?

YOU, DVDTalk. YOU are my pet peeve. F'n freaks.
Old 07-24-13, 03:31 PM   #77
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
I'm with you on this. I mean, I use them compulsively. Doesn't matter if I'm the only car, I just compulsively hit the indicator before I shift the wheel to switch lanes. In MI, it was nuts. No one used them either on the highway or to make turns in residential neighborhoods. You just had to know what they were doing based on their acceleration/deceleration patterns. Madness!
LOL, I wouldn't say "compulsively", but definitely as a habit, I just use them whenever I turn, often realizing that there's no one to see, but I do it anyway. And funny you should mention MI, that's where my Dad lives. We always worry when we're following them to a restaurant or something (he insists on taking the lead), because we're afraid he'll miss a turn or something, I end up turning MY turn signal on 1/2 mile early and hoping that he'll notice and get a clue!

In the end I was pretty pleased with my performance. -- Mabuse
Old 07-24-13, 03:31 PM   #78
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meglos View Post
As a cyclist (though hopefully not of the douchebag variety) I also hate this, but for different reasons. When I know there's a car behind me, and I know there's plenty of room for him to pass me and he's not, just slowly, tentatively, shadows me, it's kind of unnerving.
That would freak me out too. I'm a runner, and at times where there are no sidewalks I have to run in the street or a bike lane. I'm always nervous when I hear a car creeping up behind me and not passing. Generally I prefer running against traffic in those situations, so at least I can see them coming.

And yeah, I differentiate between cyclists and douchebag cyclists. Every group has its douchebag contingency.
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff
Old 07-24-13, 03:32 PM   #79
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
People writing checks period is one of mine. Who in this day and age has a checking account without a debit card? It drives me crazy standing in line behind people waiting forever for them to write a stupid check when they could have swiped their card and been done in seconds.
These are usually older types, in my observation. I still don't get it though; using a debit card isn't exactly rocket science. Even if you can't remember your PIN, you can ring your purchases up as a credit card...
Old 07-24-13, 03:33 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meglos View Post
As a cyclist (though hopefully not of the douchebag variety) I also hate this, but for different reasons. When I know there's a car behind me, and I know there's plenty of room for him to pass me and he's not, just slowly, tentatively, shadows me, it's kind of unnerving.
According to some around here, that car is stalking you, and you would be well within your rights to attack it.

In the end I was pretty pleased with my performance. -- Mabuse
Old 07-24-13, 03:36 PM   #81
DVD Talk Legend

People who never Yield on Red to Cars doing a U-turn (from a turn-only green lane). Not only do they not yield, they look at me like I'm in the wrong. Bastards. I usually honk at them freaking them out a bit.
Old 07-24-13, 03:39 PM   #82
DVD Talk Legend

People riding the exit only lane all the way to the end before darting back into traffic.
Old 07-24-13, 04:23 PM   #83
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
People riding the exit only lane all the way to the end before darting back into traffic.
This is a big one for me and in many cases is the cause of traffic jams in general. Drivers who KNOW the lane is ending but try to get as far ahead of everyone as possible only to stop at the very end and creep into the other lane when they run out of road. This causes everyone else on the road to have to slam on their brakes so the dipshit can get in.

Another one for me is bicycle riders who expect you to treat them just like other drivers on the road until it benefits them to disregard the rules. For example, a bike rider who rides right in the driving lane with vehicle drivers and then proceeds to ride through a red light so they don't have to stop. I don't hate all bike riders - I ride my bike on the road occasionally to - but ones who expect to have it both ways drove me crazy. You can't expect to be treated just like another driver on the road and then disregard any driving rules that inconvenience you.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 07-24-13 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-24-13, 04:32 PM   #84
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
This is a big one for me and in many cases is the cause of traffic jams in general. Drivers who KNOW the lane is ending but try to get as far ahead of everyone as possible only to stop at the very end and creep into the other lane when they run out of road. This causes everyone else on the road to have to slam on their brakes so the dipshit can get in.
Also sucks for those trying to exit being held up by a non-exiter.
Old 07-24-13, 04:47 PM   #85

"Dead" hookers who wake up in the trunk of your car and start yelling for help at the most inconvenient of times.
Old 07-24-13, 08:02 PM   #86
Banned

when people pronounce caramel as care-uh-mel
when people pronounce pecan as pee-can instead of pee-Khan
Old 07-24-13, 08:18 PM   #87
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
when people pronounce caramel as care-uh-mel
when people pronounce pecan as pee-can instead of pee-Khan
You should just learn to ignore those people.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 07-24-13, 08:31 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
As you wish.
Old 07-24-13, 08:40 PM   #89
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
Old 07-24-13, 09:35 PM   #90
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always thought Peeve would be a good name for a cat or dog.
Old 07-24-13, 10:54 PM   #91
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, I'll give some really petty ones that probably bother only me:

Snacks that get shit all over your fingers. That's why I eat Cheese-Doodles with a fork.

Waitstaff that approach my wife & me and ask, "What can I get you guys?" My wife is not a guy. That's a teeny one, I would never bring it up to the offender.
Old 07-25-13, 08:05 AM   #92

Moviegoers that take their first bite of popcorn with their mouth still open.
Old 07-25-13, 08:10 AM   #93
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
People writing checks period is one of mine. Who in this day and age has a checking account without a debit card? It drives me crazy standing in line behind people waiting forever for them to write a stupid check when they could have swiped their card and been done in seconds.
I think it happens because not all stores convert the check to a digital debit. So people use the writing of check as a free 2-3 day floating payment until they have money in their account to cover the check and the check hits their account. I wish all stores would immediately convert the check to a digital withdrawal because then it may stop people from writing checks as the floating period would be gone.

Last edited by Canis Firebrand; 07-25-13 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-25-13, 08:20 AM   #94
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't do it, but Canis is exactly right.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 07-25-13, 08:26 AM   #95
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I don't do it, but Canis is exactly right.
My favorite is when I see people do it at the self-scan checkout at grocery stores. Those machines are set up to take cash or credit/debit cards only. Yet they let people write checks there, at least the grocery stores I've been to that have them. :headshake:
Old 07-25-13, 08:34 AM   #96
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0073735963 View Post
Moviegoers that take their first bite of popcorn with their mouth still open.
Isn't it somewhat difficult to take a bite of anything with your mouth closed???
Old 07-25-13, 04:10 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post

That's funny, I've had this argument with coworkers when I worked in the midwest. It is called the zipper merge method and is more efficient in high traffic areas than forming a single lane prematurely. If you treat both lanes as open, which they are, until one closes, you delay the merge point so that the delay does not get stretched back further in the one lane in an inefficient manner. The method also takes into account that there will always be people who obey zipper merge when the majority does not, with everyone observing the zipper merge method, the traffic delays caused by that event are minimized as well.

The only reason the zipper merge method is not universally adopted IMO is b/c people apparently suck at merging and will do whatever they can not to. A closed lane is nothing more than an unexpected merge point like an entrance ramp lane. The signs are there simply to alert people that it is approaching b/c unlike the entrance ramp lane, it is otherwise a lane that continues. Those signs are not commands to move over (may vary by state), they are alerts to adjust your speed accordingly while traveling in the closing lane.
+ 1,000,000!

I am in full agreement with this thinking. You have to merge somewhere. Why not do it where everyone HAS to and not where some people WANT you to? Then everyone is on the same page. I'm for the warning sign/lane closure sign being placed at the point of merge or eliminated all together. Why give any warning? It only causes frustration. Let everyone be surprised when the merge suddenly appears, then no one can be mad at other drivers.

Last edited by Robertwoj; 07-25-13 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-25-13, 04:32 PM   #98

We had some major freeway construction in my city recently and they had LED signs out telling people not to merge until the actual lane closure. That was nice, although only half the people actually did that. It's weird. It seems like the people who merge extremely early don't like merging, but when you do that, you end up merging five, six, seven times.
Old 07-25-13, 05:02 PM   #99
DVD Talk Legend

People who come to a complete stop in the 20 MPH EZ Pass lane. It's 20 to keep people moving you big stupid doofus.

People who are in the cashier line waiting to pay, wait until they get the total, then decide to start digging for their wallet or money. You know you had to pay yet you didn't take out your money?

The local radio station that uses the same voiceover guy for about 80% of the commercials. Get really tired of hearing the same fucking guy all day.

A guy I used to work with, when we would travel, I would get up, do a run, have breakfast and get to his house before he was even dressed. Then we had to stop at the drive-thru so he could get breakfast.

My old boss would cry the blues about how poor we were then show you his newest toy right after. "No you can't have a raise, we're broke. Hey see my new laptop?"

I often travel to train new sales reps. I hate it when they lock the car then wait until we get back to the car before they pulls the keys out. Why do you have a button if you aren't going to use it? Increases 10 fold when it's raining out.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 261 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 390 BR titles, 23 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 57 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 07-25-13, 05:12 PM   #100
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post

People who are in the cashier line waiting to pay, wait until they get the total, then decide to start digging for their wallet or money. You know you had to pay yet you didn't take out your money?

and I'll add

*people who act like they're taking out a mortgage in the bank's drive through
*morons who think their job involves taking a break every half hour and wanting others to pick up the slack