error wiki deleted
Print Wikipost

Pet Peeves?

Old 11-16-21, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts
Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I eat in my car just out of laziness. Iím one of those people who will go through the drive thru and then park to eat. I have nothing against being seen inside the place. I just find it easier to park, eat, and be on my way.
I eat in my car because it is more comfortable and relaxing. I will, on occasion, eat in the parking lot (usually watching a video on my phone or reading) and then walk into the restaurant when I am done to throw away the garbage and wash my hands. I found this highly preferable to eating in the restaurant more often than not, even before Covid.

On those days when I am in the office, I also eat in my car almost 100% of the time.
Old 11-16-21, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 478 Likes on 341 Posts

I ate in my car for the first time last week. I got sauce on my shirt. I miss dining in.

And yeah, who the fuck cares who sees you in a fast food joint or even more bizarre, if you use a coupon? Live your life, fuck everyone else. Life is tough enough as it is and our dollars are stretched pretty thin. If you want a McRib and a McFlurry, go enjoy the hell out of it. I'm not judging and neither should anyone else.
Old 11-16-21, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 385 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
And yeah, who the fuck cares who sees you in a fast food joint or even more bizarre, if you use a coupon? Live your life, fuck everyone else. Life is tough enough as it is and our dollars are stretched pretty thin. If you want a McRib and a McFlurry, go enjoy the hell out of it. I'm not judging and neither should anyone else.
Words from someone who's never met my sister-in-law.
The following users liked this post:
Michael Corvin (11-16-21)
Old 11-16-21, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 478 Likes on 341 Posts

She sounds charming.
Paff (11-16-21)
Old 11-16-21, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't even know why this is a pet peeve, but cheap aftermarket car window tint that ends up looking like bubble wrap after a few years. Always on the rear windows. Why do people do this? Is the factory tint not dark enough for the meth lab in your back seat?

Last edited by Eddie W; 11-16-21 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-16-21, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 385 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
She sounds charming.
Don't get me started
Old 11-17-21, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 541 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
They shouldn't slow you down, overall, as it means you're never stopped to wait at a light.

Granted, some streets actually time their lights properly, so that once you've stopped for one, you generally will make it through the rest. We had a street that functioned like that, for years, until some idiot decided to change the timing on the lights. I'm sure the adoption of sensors has helped to ruin that concept, as well.
Roundabouts were installed in the poor neighborhoods here as a deliberate act to slow drivers down. They put circular concrete barriers in the middle of intersections in residential neighborhoods. Instead of two-way stops, they are now four-way yields.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0691...7i16384!8i8192

Last edited by Nick Danger; 11-17-21 at 03:04 AM.
Old 11-17-21, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 310 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
I envy you. America is high school.
More like grade school antics, by now...
Old 11-17-21, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
I eat in my car because it is more comfortable and relaxing. I will, on occasion, eat in the parking lot (usually watching a video on my phone or reading) and then walk into the restaurant when I am done to throw away the garbage and wash my hands. I found this highly preferable to eating in the restaurant more often than not, even before Covid.

On those days when I am in the office, I also eat in my car almost 100% of the time.
Same. Iíll put on a show or podcast while Iím eating, and since Iím not inside, I can play through the car instead of wearing headphones.
Old 11-17-21, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Roundabouts were installed in the poor neighborhoods here as a deliberate act to slow drivers down. They put circular concrete barriers in the middle of intersections in residential neighborhoods. Instead of two-way stops, they are now four-way yields.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0691...7i16384!8i8192
That looks like a recipe for disaster. Around here it'd devolve into "My truck/SUV is bigger/cooler/better/more entitled than you and your car/vehicle so I get the right-of-way!" in very short order.
Old 11-17-21, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Don't get me started
Oh, entertain us, in both senses of the term.
Old 11-24-21, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

Today's grievance:

I have to tell you guys about how this works, because I feel like I'm gonna have a heart attack tonight.

I sell on Amazon. It accounts for about 40% of my little business' revenue. The get plenty of fees from me and it's a bit love-hate because of that. And I really appreciate that I've been able to grow the business on there.

All it takes is one person to ruin my account. You're only allowed to have 1% issues (including negative feedback or A-Z Claims) or else you risk having your money held and account banned. Because I'm low volume, it's a delicate balance. Today, I dealt with this bullshit...

1. Guy contacted me and said he didn't order a "refurbished" part.

2. I politely told him that it was sold as "refurbished", and to let me know if he has any questions or concerns. Amazon returns are automatic. Etc. I also sent him a screenshot just so he could see I didn't misrepresent the item. "Amazon shows the condition of what was sold. I attached a screenshot of what it would have looked like when you purchased. I put a green outline around our product. The condition states, "Condition: Used - Very Good - Condition note: Rebuilt Ridgid Tool - This tool has been rebuilt. We typically buy these products used. The tools are then sandblasted, powder-coat or repainted, and serviced. Cutting wheels, dies, and other consumables are in "like new" or "new" condition. Die sets are inspected and confirmed to be in "like new" or "new" condition." We put a lot of work into our rebuilt tools. I hope you like them! Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns."

3. Today, he posted a negative feedback. One of these could literally end my business. There is nothing I can do about it.

4. There is nothing you can do to remove Amazon feedback anymore. There is a "request removal" button that automatically turns you down, and it is against Terms of Service to open a ticket to request assistance for feedback. It's a negative mark. Now I have to operate for the next 60 days, wondering if I'm going to have my livelihood stripped away from me. It's completely uncontrollable. It's soul crushing.

If only there was a dystopian bureaucracy to work through at Amazon. There is not. It's just AI and there's no service beyond it.

Another issue, is that I processed approximately 1500 transactions on Amazon in the past years. And I have received a total of 15 feedback in the past year.

People can say anything they want, whenever they want. It's impossible when the AI and rules are set like this.

I've been building my business for going-on 10 years. I run an ethical cash-in-hand kind of business. And it could be stripped away from me when this happens just a couple times. It's really hard to go through this.

Amazon will seize your funds indefinitely and ban you. They do not play games.
Old 11-25-21, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 344 Likes on 251 Posts

Wow just wow. Yet they allow co-mingling of their products so it's really easy for you to receive fake items even if you buy directly from Amazon because of that. And when I called about it they couldn't have cared less. But for you and other sellers just even for a slightest unwarranted negative feedback they'll just drop the banhammer because they don't care and they can say they don't sell fake counterfeit stuff because "They are doing everything they can." Amazon is just way too powerful.
Old 11-25-21, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 310 Likes on 241 Posts

I'm certainly no fan of Amazon, have never sold anything on the site, and never will, and the situation above sounds pretty dire. But, surely there must a positive resolution. Call Amazon. Speak to a real person. Escalate the situation. Get the e-mail of someone higher up. I think these addressess are available if you look on some of the anti-Amazon sites which have been set up.

It isn't very hard for me to believe that Amazon and its AI can totally fuck with people's lives, and they couldn't give the slightest whiff of two shits about it. But, surely many thousands of other Amazon sellers have had the exact same issue as Troy has had above. I can't believe their requirements are so strict, "arfificial", and rigged against sellers, because that's where the make their gravy upon gravy with all the awful, ridiculous fees. If they alienate too many sellers, it will come back to hurt them, even if they think they're "too big to fail" (which *is* probably 95% true at this point).

I just can't see how such policies can be allowed to stand. People aren't vocal enough about them. They keep buying and selling in their droves of millions on the site. Not enough people care to STOP buying and selling on Amazon to give them a clear message that their practices against sellers are terribly unfair.
Old 11-25-21, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 157 Posts

Why would amazon care? Another seller will fill the void. That’s the deal with the devil you make, and it’s a known thing. If you sell on Amazon they can give you more exposure and sales, but you’re completely at their mercy. And if you sell a product that gets popular enough Amazon WILL copy that product, sell it under one of their brands, undercut your price, and place their product above yours in searches.
Old 11-25-21, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 541 Likes on 361 Posts

I got a text at 6AM from Bank of America saying that my credit card was closed due to suspected fraud, and gave me a phone number to call. I do have a BoA credit card, so I called the number on the back of the card. Of course, my card was fine and the text was fake.

So I said, "Do you want the phone number so you guys can investigate?" She said that the Fraud Department is closed today so it wouldn't do any good.

Some gang will send out millions of those texts today secure in the knowledge that nobody is going to stop them for 24 hours.
Old 11-25-21, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 314 Likes on 224 Posts

Guys, I think when we start hitting corporations crushing small business, and institutionalized identity theft, we're veering off the 'Pet Peeve' track just a bit.

But you know what one of my pet peeves is? Cancer. I mean, amirite?
danwiz (11-25-21)
Old 11-25-21, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yea but I donít think you want me opening a new thread for each grievance.
Old 11-25-21, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
I'm certainly no fan of Amazon, have never sold anything on the site, and never will, and the situation above sounds pretty dire. But, surely there must a positive resolution. Call Amazon. Speak to a real person. Escalate the situation. Get the e-mail of someone higher up. I think these addressess are available if you look on some of the anti-Amazon sites which have been set up.
There is no escalation. Your viewpoint is very sunny compared to the reality of it. Real people will say they canít help. Iíve been through it.
Old 11-25-21, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 314 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Yea but I donít think you want me opening a new thread for each grievance.
I would have zero issues with that! I hope things work out OK.
Old 11-25-21, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, so do I, Troy S. Yours is more of a threat to your livelihood than a mere pet peeve. I have a love-hate relationship with Amazon. It makes buying things considerably easier and more convenient for essentially hermitic people like me, but that avaricious egotist Bezos should be anally eviscerated with a mace.

Another pet peeve of mine: the tepid, cloudy water that comes out of a faucet when it hasn't been used for 30 minutes or more. The only way to attain drinkable water is to either flush the toilet, clearing the lukewarm water out of the pipes, or to keep the tap running for a minute or two. Not a big deal, but a peeve.