Other Talk "Otterville"

Pet Peeves?

Old 04-06-21, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 76 Posts
Re: Pet Peeves?

Ebay buyers in general. I listed a mountain bike three weeks ago. I posted in large, capital letters that the auction was for local pickup only, but I would deliver within thirty miles of my house in Los Angeles County. Most of the bidders, including the winning bidder, were on the east coast or Puerto Rico. I had to relist the bike. The second auction ended last night and again, the winning bidder is in Florida. Other bidders are in New Jersey, Philadelphia, Portugal, and Louisiana.
Old 04-06-21, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
Ebay buyers in general. I listed a mountain bike three weeks ago. I posted in large, capital letters that the auction was for local pickup only, but I would deliver within thirty miles of my house in Los Angeles County. Most of the bidders, including the winning bidder, were on the east coast or Puerto Rico. I had to relist the bike. The second auction ended last night and again, the winning bidder is in Florida. Other bidders are in New Jersey, Philadelphia, Portugal, and Louisiana.
I'm pretty sure you can set the auction to be local pickup only and deselect shipping as an option.
Old 04-06-21, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Unless it's a rare item I check the box for Buy It Now offers only. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.
The following users liked this post:
Norm de Plume (04-07-21)
Old 04-06-21, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
I'm pretty sure you can set the auction to be local pickup only and deselect shipping as an option.
I did. I still received fifteen bids from out-of-state and out-of-country bidders.
Old 04-06-21, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 132 Posts

Take their money, and tell them to let you know when they will be by to pick up their purchase.
The following 5 users liked this post by Mrs. Danger:
danwiz (04-07-21), Giantrobo (04-07-21), Max Bottomtime (04-07-21), Michael Corvin (04-07-21), Obi-Wan Jabroni (04-07-21)
Old 04-07-21, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
I did. I still received fifteen bids from out-of-state and out-of-country bidders.
Correct.

Also if you ever want - Craters and Freighters would build a custom box or two for around $100. You're looking at another $100 to ship those two boxes cross country. And I'd recommend upgrading to FedEx 2-Day if it's fragile, as Express Mail is handled much differently. So all in, you could ship that bike safely from NY to LA for around $300.

I assume it's an expensive bike. Just FYI.

And you'd still run the risk of selling to a dummy who accidently bought the wrong bike.
Old 04-07-21, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm assuming that the out of country bidders are planning to do the shipping scam on you. "I'll mail you a money order to cover the shipping, you'll have to send me the change."
Old 04-07-21, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's an entry level mountain bike. I paid $710 two years ago brand new. The first auction ended at $930, the second at $830. I told the winning bidder that it is in my garage waiting for him to pick up. He hasn't paid, so I have to wait three more days to cancel the sale.
A Florida bidder from the first auction has kept in touch with me. He really wants the bike. He is willing to pre-pay UPS shipping and have them pick up the bike at my house. I'd still have to pack it, but I'm considering it after all the idiots who can't read large, bold print.
Old 04-07-21, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 346 Likes on 219 Posts

Pet Peeve:
Mountain Bike Sellers who aren't local.
Spoiler:

Old 04-07-21, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why would anyone in Florida want a mountain bike? There's no hills there.
Kurt D (04-08-21)
Old 04-07-21, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why would anyone who never drives anywhere but on paved roads, and never hauls anything want a giant 4WD pickup truck?
Vipper II (04-08-21)
Old 04-07-21, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 161 Likes on 135 Posts

To take the kids to soccer. Duh!
Old 04-08-21, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My Pet Peeve is co-workers who e-mail me to ask me to call them so they can ask me a question. Can't you just ask the question in the e-mail? Bonus points if they can't remember what they wanted when you finally do call them.
Old 04-08-21, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W View Post
My Pet Peeve is co-workers who e-mail me to ask me to call them so they can ask me a question. Can't you just ask the question in the e-mail? Bonus points if they can't remember what they wanted when you finally do call them.
In a similar situation...family members who text "call me" rather than calling or saying why. Instantly think someone died or is in the hospital but it's usually something stupid like "what was that show you were telling me about"...
Boondock Saint (04-08-21)
Old 04-08-21, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
Why would anyone who never drives anywhere but on paved roads, and never hauls anything want a giant 4WD pickup truck?
Good fucking question.
Old 04-08-21, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 192 Posts

I love it when co-workers or clients email me a question and then call me about the same thing less than one minute later. Pick one or the other, assholes.
Old 04-08-21, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
Because they're Southern Rednecks (and I know having grown up and still living in Redneck central) and it's ingrained into the culture. I don't understand why anyone would want to drive one *unless* they're hauling something. These guys drive them for any reason and most have no concept of how to maneuver the things, taking turns far too wide and never being able to park properly. 3/4 of the people in this part of the world drive either a huge pickup or a SUV. It's rare to find someone who actually *needs* such a vehicle.
Old 04-08-21, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 368 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I love it when co-workers or clients email me a question and then call me about the same thing less than one minute later. Pick one or the other, assholes.
Along those same lines, my wife will text me a question and then call before I have a chance to even reply to the text.
Old 04-08-21, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
To take the kids to soccer. Duh!
Must be some dang heavy kids.
Old 04-09-21, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 145 Posts

People who constantly refer to making "digital copies" of DIGITAL media! I've got news: it's all ones and zeroes on any media now, Blu-rays, DVDs, CDs, digital books, etc. So, the saying -- even by so-called professional reviewers of any "digital copies" is redudant, moot, and showing a lack of understanding of how modern media, streaming, and content works. Exception of course for Alan's obsolete CEDs, VHS, and LDs, as they were in fact analogue, and yes, it is proper to refer to making "digital copies" when transfering those to DVD, Youtube, etc. Also LPs may indeed have digital copies made from them, for they are of course 100% analogue media.

Otherwise, We're no longer in the analogue era, folks.... for DECADES now. So, Please STOP referring to making digital copies of things that are already digital.

Thank you for your attention!
Old 04-09-21, 06:06 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
Because they're Southern Rednecks (and I know having grown up and still living in Redneck central) and it's ingrained into the culture. I don't understand why anyone would want to drive one *unless* they're hauling something. These guys drive them for any reason and most have no concept of how to maneuver the things, taking turns far too wide and never being able to park properly. 3/4 of the people in this part of the world drive either a huge pickup or a SUV. It's rare to find someone who actually *needs* such a vehicle.
"cuz we're 'mericans, and 'mericans want stuff BIGGER!

Seriously, I've seen people who own these dual cab full bed pickup trucks pull into parking spaces without first attempting to straighten up their truck, and they end up in there diagonally with the front of their truck WAY too close to the car on one side, and the back WAY too close to the car on the other side, or the rear 6 or 7 feet of their truck bed sticking out in the middle of the road. I've seen instances, on several occasions, where someone has pulled their vehicle into a parking spot and either doesn't pull in far enough one way, or goes way over the line at the front/back of their spot, then someone with a mile long pickup truck pulls into the spot in front/back of them and half their truck is sticking out in the middle of the road, all because they wanted to get closer to the store entrance and they couldn't be bothered to find a space that's better suited to the size of their vehicle. I see these young girls driving these ginormous trucks, tiny little head poking up behind the wheel of this monster fucking truck, and I have to wonder WHY in the fuck they're driving these monstrosities. And every year it seems like these ginormous vehicles get bigger, 'cuz we're 'mericans, and 'mericans want stuff BIGGER! And none of them get good gas mileage...
Norm de Plume (04-09-21)
Old 04-09-21, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
People who constantly refer to making "digital copies" of DIGITAL media! I've got news: it's all ones and zeroes on any media now, Blu-rays, DVDs, CDs, digital books, etc. So, the saying -- even by so-called professional reviewers of any "digital copies" is redudant, moot, and showing a lack of understanding of how modern media, streaming, and content works. Exception of course for Alan's obsolete CEDs, VHS, and LDs, as they were in fact analogue, and yes, it is proper to refer to making "digital copies" when transfering those to DVD, Youtube, etc. Also LPs may indeed have digital copies made from them, for they are of course 100% analogue media.

Otherwise, We're no longer in the analogue era, folks.... for DECADES now. So, Please STOP referring to making digital copies of things that are already digital.

Thank you for your attention!
Another PP - there are a surprisingly large number of people who refer to recording video on your phone as "videotaping".
Old 04-09-21, 09:27 AM
Admin

Received 231 Likes on 150 Posts

Another PP - there are a surprisingly large number of people who refer to recording video on your phone as "videotaping".
It's a hard habit to break. When there's a show coming up that we don't want to miss, sometimes my wife and I will say we'll record the show and sometimes we say, "Let's tape it." It's just the times we grew up in.
Fist of Doom Jr (04-10-21)
Old 04-09-21, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 351 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
You can come with the weather and sports at half-past if you must, but I don't need a "first look".
You are not the typical news television viewer. Most are watching for the weather.

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
It's a hard habit to break. When there's a show coming up that we don't want to miss, sometimes my wife and I will say we'll record the show and sometimes we say, "Let's tape it." It's just the times we grew up in.
I've been in the industry for more than 20 years and started on the 3/4 and BetaSP formats. It's all digital now. And there are still people I work with (some younger than me) who say we are coming over to "film" something.
Old 04-09-21, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
You are not the typical news television viewer. Most are watching for the weather babes.
Fixed that for you.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.