Jeff Scheetz
Top Johnny
Weezer
The Wilkinsons
Will Hoge
The Odds
Craig Northey & Jesse Valenzuela

That's just a few.....
First off it's The Corrs and secondly you lost me at Rusted Root and The Odds somebody seems to be stuck in the 90s. And Weezer? Alright I'll give you the Blue album and Pinkerton and had Rivers Cuomo not pussied out and released his space aged "Songs from the edge of the galaxy" or whatever it was called album I would give them more credit but after he essentially sold out and created bubble gum pop alt music I couldn't take them seriously. I mean he essentially wrote songs to be played in WB teen shows. Did he get paid, sure, do I respect him as an artists as much as Prince, even when Prince changed his name to sign, not at all. And The Odds are garbage, I had that album and their only decent song is only best known for having the Kids In The Hall. When i read your playlist I imagine you being like a 40 year old dude living in his parent's converted basement and getting super excited about about Deep Space Nine coming out on blur-ray.
Old 07-05-13, 07:25 PM
Banned

Re: Prince admits he doesn't own a cell phone

The Odds are NOT garbage. And their best songs are Not A Lot Goin' On and My Happy Place, both from Corner Gas. I hate Kids In The Hall, so that explains why I didn't even know they had songs on the show. How am I stuck in the 90s ? Most of the groups I mentioned aren't from the 90s. Maybe only 3 or 4 of them are. Why would my playlist mean I was living in my parents' basement ? It's not like I put U2, Nirvana, Coldplay, Radiohead, Daft Punk, Oasis, STP, or Limp Bizkit, Nickelback, or Creed.

How about some of the other music I like ? I mentioned the Beatles. But there is also Elmer Berstein, English Beat, Bill Conti, Marshall Crenshaw, Jeremy Sweet, Jerry Goldsmith, Journey, Mark Mueller, Pat Hodge, Laurence Rosenthal, Carter Burwell, and Patrick Gowers.

And Deep Space Nine is the LAST Star Trek series I'd want on blu-ray...

Last edited by Spottedfeather; 07-05-13 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-05-13, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga

Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
This finally answers the question "How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore?"
Originally Posted by tommyp007 View Post
I'm glad somebody got that!
Old 07-05-13, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had no idea "Not a Lot Goin' On" was a pre-existing song. I just figured it was a cheesy song written to start a Canadian sitcom. The reality makes the song even worse.
Old 07-05-13, 07:49 PM
Banned

It was actually being written around the time the show was starting. The creator of the show needed a theme, so Craig Northey rearranged the song to fit the show.
Old 07-05-13, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Guess I'm off ignore.
Old 07-05-13, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
The picture continues to come into focus...
You said a mouthful there, brother.
Old 07-05-13, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
Don't have to lash out just because you feel substandard at not knowing who most of those bands are....
Unless one has a kid in the band, I think that is probably true of the general public as well.
Old 07-05-13, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did know that Gaelic Storm was the band in Titanic. BUT, I did not learn that fact until a few years ago, and that's all I know about them. So I only get half points. We're counting points right?
Old 07-05-13, 10:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Unless one has a kid in the band, I think that is probably true of the general public as well.
I don't see how you can say that. Aside from the celtic bands, and maybe one or two of the others, the bands I listed are very popular. I'll give you the one Japanese anime band. And maybe the Canadian band. But the rest are hardly unknown. You're telling me you don't know who Ron Wasserman is ? Even if you don't know the name, you probably know the songs he's written. They are very popular tv themes from 1993 to just recently.
Old 07-05-13, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oy, another thread has turned into The SpottyBlather Show.
Old 07-05-13, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Prince doesn't have an iPhone but he has a wireless communications device formerly known as an iPhone.
Old 07-05-13, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't see how you can say that. Aside from the celtic bands, and maybe one or two of the others, the bands I listed are very popular. I'll give you the one Japanese anime band. And maybe the Canadian band. But the rest are hardly unknown. You're telling me you don't know who Ron Wasserman is ? Even if you don't know the name, you probably know the songs he's written. They are very popular tv themes from 1993 to just recently.
I honestly don't pay much attention to band names or individuals names. I know songs. I've probably heard his stuff. I have very eclectic tastes, but in style, not in bands in a single genre.

How many of the bands you mention (31) have albums with a million sales? 10?
Old 07-06-13, 12:13 AM
Premium Member

All of that and no Hummie Mann?

Old 07-06-13, 12:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I honestly don't pay much attention to band names or individuals names. I know songs. I've probably heard his stuff. I have very eclectic tastes, but in style, not in bands in a single genre.

How many of the bands you mention (31) have albums with a million sales? 10?
If you were a kid during the 90s, you absolutely heard Ron Wasserman's stuff. He did the themes for the Power Rangers for the first 15 years or so.
And most of the bands I mentioned have sold at least a million records. Natalie MacMaster has 3 records that have gone gold. My list was pretty long, so to save space, I won't go through it one by one. But during my checking, more than half of the list has multiple gold albums. Pretty much the ones that don't are the bands that appear on the renaissance festival circuit.

And as to knowing songs more than artists, I'm the same way. I like to take quizes and do music trivia. I can't tell you how much higher my scores would be if I knew the name of the band instead of just the song title.
Old 07-06-13, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

At first I was thinking, how would they not own some type of cell phone than I read iPhone, there are other phones.
Old 07-06-13, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Odds are NOT garbage. And their best songs are Not A Lot Goin' On and My Happy Place, both from Corner Gas. I hate Kids In The Hall, so that explains why I didn't even know they had songs on the show. How am I stuck in the 90s ? Most of the groups I mentioned aren't from the 90s. Maybe only 3 or 4 of them are. Why would my playlist mean I was living in my parents' basement ? It's not like I put U2, Nirvana, Coldplay, Radiohead, Daft Punk, Oasis, STP, or Limp Bizkit, Nickelback, or Creed.

How about some of the other music I like ? I mentioned the Beatles. But there is also Elmer Berstein, English Beat, Bill Conti, Marshall Crenshaw, Jeremy Sweet, Jerry Goldsmith, Journey, Mark Mueller, Pat Hodge, Laurence Rosenthal, Carter Burwell, and Patrick Gowers.

And Deep Space Nine is the LAST Star Trek series I'd want on blu-ray...
Elmer Bernstein, Jerry Goldsmith and K-ON... You're redeemed.
Old 07-06-13, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
All of that and no Hummie Mann?
I read somewhere that Prince has Hummie Mann on his iPod.
Old 07-06-13, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've said it before and I'll say it again...Spottedfeather always delivers.