Old 06-20-13, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 521 Likes on 245 Posts
Exit, stage right: Exodus International

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/20/us/exo...iref=allsearch

Group apologizes to gay community, shuts down 'cure' ministry
By Ed Payne , CNN
updated 10:39 AM EDT, Thu June 20, 2013 CNN.com

(CNN) -- After 37 years, Exodus International, an organization whose mission was to "help" gay Christians become straight, is shutting down. But not before issuing an apology.

"We're not negating the ways God used Exodus to positively affect thousands of people, but a new generation of Christians is looking for change -- and they want to be heard," Tony Moore, an Exodus board member, said Wednesday.

The announcement comes less than a day after Exodus issued a wide-ranging apology to the gay community for "years of undue judgment by the organization and the Christian Church as a whole," a statement from the group says.

"Exodus is an institution in the conservative Christian world, but we've ceased to be a living, breathing organism," said Alan Chambers, the president of Exodus. "For quite some time, we've been imprisoned in a worldview that's neither honoring toward our fellow human beings, nor biblical."

Chambers, who has a wife and children and previously identified as gay, has acknowledged that he has "ongoing same-sex attractions."

Granderson: Oops, I left my sexual orientation at home

Gay men suing over conversion therapy
Outlawing gay conversion therapy
Therapy claims to change homosexuals"It is strange to be someone who has both been hurt by the Church's treatment of the LGBTQ community, and also to be someone who must apologize for being part of the very system of ignorance that perpetuated that hurt," Chambers said. "Today it is as if I've just woken up to a greater sense of how painful it is to be a sinner in the hands of an angry church."

LGBTQ stands for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning.

New focus on a therapy

Exodus, which has promoted "freedom from homosexuality through the power of Jesus Christ," has de-emphasized conversion therapy in recent years as more of the counselors in its network have abandoned the practice.

The American Psychological Association defines conversion therapy as aimed at changing sexual orientation, but adopted a resolution in 2009 condemning the practice.

In it, the organization said "mental health professionals should avoid telling clients that they can change their sexual orientation through therapy or other treatments."

But the same resolution also encouraged therapists to consider the religious beliefs of clients who say such beliefs are important to their views of homosexuality.

The APA removed homosexuality from its Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders in 1975.

But yet with the apology, some things have not changed, according to Chambers.

"I cannot apologize for my deeply held biblical beliefs about the boundaries I see in scripture surrounding sex, but I will exercise my beliefs with great care and respect for those who do not share them," he said. "I cannot apologize for my beliefs about marriage. But I do not have any desire to fight you on your beliefs or the rights that you seek."

A new ministry

With the closing of Exodus International, the board of directors voted to begin a new and separate ministry called Reduce Fear.

"This is a new season of ministry, to a new generation," Chambers said. "Our goals are to reduce fear, and come alongside churches to become safe, welcoming and mutually transforming communities."

It's meant to align with Jesus' New Testament message found in John 13:34 -- "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

"From a Judeo-Christian perspective, gay, straight or otherwise, we're all prodigal sons and daughters," Chambers said. "Exodus International is the prodigal's older brother, trying to impose its will on God's promises, and make judgments on who's worthy of His Kingdom.

"God is calling us to be the Father -- to welcome everyone, to love unhindered."

Thanks be to God! 2013 has been the best year for equality EVER.
Old 06-20-13, 10:58 AM
Admin

Received 342 Likes on 219 Posts
Re: Exit, stage right: Exodus International

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Thanks be to God! 2013 has been the best year for equality EVER.
It has been amazing how fast the snowball has gained momentum.
Old 06-20-13, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow.
Old 06-20-13, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 687 Likes on 440 Posts

Another article with a few more points: here:

Exodus International, a large Christian ministry that claimed to offer a "cure" for homosexuality, plans to shut down.

In a press release posted on the ministry's website Wednesday night, the board of directors announced the decision to close after nearly four decades.

“We’re not negating the ways God used Exodus to positively affect thousands of people, but a new generation of Christians is looking for change -- and they want to be heard,” Exodus board member Tony Moore said.

The closure comes less than a day after Exodus released a statement apologizing to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community for years of undue judgment, by the organization and from the Christian Church as a whole.

“Exodus is an institution in the conservative Christian world, but we’ve ceased to be a living, breathing organism. For quite some time we’ve been imprisoned in a worldview that’s neither honoring toward our fellow human beings, nor biblical," said Alan Chambers, president of Exodus.

The apology coincided with the ministry's annual conference in Irvine, Calif., and the planned broadcast of a "Gods & Gays" report on "Our America With Lisa Ling," which is slated to air on OWN tonight.

Last year, Chambers decided to stop endorsing the widely denounced practice of gay "reparative therapy." The full text of his personal apology is available here.

Chambers isn't the only Exodus member who is sorry. In April, John Paulk, former chairman of Exodus and the co-author of "Love Won Out: How God's Love Helped Two People Leave Homosexuality and Find Each Other," renounced his past involvement in the "ex-gay movement," and expressed remorse for his actions.

“For the better part of 10 years, I was an advocate and spokesman for what’s known as the 'ex-gay movement,' where we declared that sexual orientation could be changed through a close-knit relationship with God, intensive therapy and strong determination," Paulk said. "At the time, I truly believed that it would happen. And while many things in my life did change as a Christian, my sexual orientation did not."

He added: "Today, I do not consider myself 'ex-gay,' and I no longer support or promote the movement. Please allow me to be clear: I do not believe that reparative therapy changes sexual orientation; in fact, it does great harm to many people."

Exodus plans to launch a separate ministry that aims to be more welcoming.
There are some shockingly reasonable and level-headed quotes in that article. Kudos to them for doing the right thing and admitting they've been wrong all these years. The world could stand more of that kind of thing.

Old 06-20-13, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They should be finding a cure for Christian ministries.
Old 06-20-13, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts

They discovered that there is no money to be made in curing "the gay". There is more money in embracing them so they can become donators to the new more "welcoming" ministry.
Old 06-20-13, 01:10 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
They discovered that there is no money to be made in curing "the gay". There is more money in embracing them so they can become donators to the new more "welcoming" ministry.
Sounds about right. Also, I don't know what the organization was like 37 years ago, but it sounds like for the last decade it's been a place for people who have deep, guilty conflictions about their homosexuality to still have a place in the church. "I want to be Christian real bad, but I also want man ass, so I'll join this group and torment myself, but by God I'll still be able to call myself a Christian." Sounds like a club of very disturbed individuals rather than any kind of genuine outreach group or resource.

As a straight male with two children, this is fucking strange:
Chambers, who has a wife and children and previously identified as gay, has acknowledged that he has "ongoing same-sex attractions."
I can rationalize sucking off 40 guys through a glory hole more easily than this weirdo’s lifestyle choice. WTF?
Old 06-20-13, 01:41 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
LGBTQ stands for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning.
There's a Q now? When did this happen?
Old 06-20-13, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually it's LBGTQIA now.
Old 06-20-13, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really wish I was making that up.
Old 06-20-13, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Lbgtqotsaposfubar
Old 06-20-13, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Reminds me of George Takei on "Rick and Steve", with his endless list of queer descriptors.
Old 06-20-13, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 55 Posts

Last I heard there were 2 Qs ... one for Queer and one for Questioning. What's the A for? I sure hope it isn't for asexual. Those freaks do NOT belong in my group.
Old 06-20-13, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 804 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Sounds about right. Also, I don't know what the organization was like 37 years ago, but it sounds like for the last decade it's been a place for people who have deep, guilty conflictions about their homosexuality to still have a place in the church. "I want to be Christian real bad, but I also want man ass, so I'll join this group and torment myself, but by God I'll still be able to call myself a Christian." Sounds like a club of very disturbed individuals rather than any kind of genuine outreach group or resource.
Agreed. Sounds like over the years more Gay Men have joined out of guilt and self loathing but they eventually learned to be who they are and have accepted things. The change was from within on many levels here.

I'm cool with that. Exodus was a mess.

Plus... More Gay Men suing groups over this stuff has got be scary to them too. So why not just hang it up and move on.

Hey, wasn't the new Pope just bitching about a "Gay Lobby" taking over the Vatican?
Old 06-20-13, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Last I heard there were 2 Qs ... one for Queer and one for Questioning. What's the A for? I sure hope it isn't for asexual. Those freaks do NOT belong in my group.
Yeah, it's asexual. I understood the "Q" to stand for both queer and questioning.
Old 06-20-13, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess the Q goes both ways.
Old 06-20-13, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,235 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
I'm cool with that. Exodus was a mess.
I've always liked Exodus.

Old 06-20-13, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
There are some shockingly reasonable and level-headed quotes in that article. Kudos to them for doing the right thing and admitting they've been wrong all these years. The world could stand more of that kind of thing.

Agreed.
Old 06-20-13, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
As a straight male with two children
Sir! The term is <i>cis male</i>.
Old 06-20-13, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts

LBmhGh83TQIA
Old 06-20-13, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it's asexual. I understood the "Q" to stand for both queer and questioning.
The "a" is also used for ally as well. So technically it should be LGBTQQIAA...
Old 06-21-13, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 804 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
At this point they might as well add some form of "Straight" to the mix. The letters are all inclusive unless you like the opposite sex full time.
Old 06-21-13, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Much love, brother. Respect.
Old 06-21-13, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
At this point they might as well add some form of "Straight" to the mix. The letters are all inclusive unless you like the opposite sex full time.
That's why the 'A' can also represent ally...
Old 06-21-13, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I see an acknowledgement that the approach was wrong - which I agree with... treating it like a detox center is just weird. Counseling is best within a Church for those who want it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.