D-Day June 6th, 1944

Other Talk "Otterville"

D-Day June 6th, 1944

Old 06-06-13, 05:47 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts
D-Day June 6th, 1944

Here are troops approaching Omaha Beach before landing, D-Day, this day 1944. Take a moment to honor their bravery and sacrifice. The world might be a much darker place if not for their valiant effort.
Old 06-06-13, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: D-Day June 6th, 1944

Indeed. The day a group of men got together to save the world.
Old 06-06-13, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

My wife's grandfather landed on Omaha Beach in a Higgins boat on D-Day. He didn't talk much about it or the war itself before he died, but when he did say a little, it was fascinating. He earned a Purple Heart and a couple of other medals.

He was just 20 years old at the time.
Old 06-06-13, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 395 Likes on 191 Posts

My dad and his older brother both served in WWII but Dad never made it overseas and his brother was in the Pacific theater. My mom was a WAC.

All three of them talked about their war experiences (though not at length for the most part) and my uncle in particular said he never understands people who complain when they have a roof over their heads, food and clean water, and no enemy gunfire aimed in their direction.

I think I read somewhere that the average GI was nineteen years old. So many lives lost and/or changed forever.
Old 06-06-13, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Does anything think today's generation of 18-25 year olds would even have the stomach to do something like that? Remember this was a war where we were not significantly more technologically advanced then the enemy (and in some ways less), unlike mostly every we've fought in since. Not to take anything away from soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq, but there were no battles that, going in, they figured would have such a high casualty rate against such a daunting enemy.
Yes.

What a silly question.
Old 06-06-13, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Does anything think today's generation of 18-25 year olds would even have the stomach to do something like that? Remember this was a war where we were not significantly more technologically advanced then the enemy (and in some ways less), unlike mostly every we've fought in since. Not to take anything away from soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq, but there were no battles that, going in, they figured would have such a high casualty rate against such a daunting enemy.
I do.
Old 06-06-13, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

A better question is: Would modern society be able to accept the casualty rate, and still support the war?
Old 06-06-13, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
A better question is: Would modern society be able to accept the casualty rate, and still support the war?
Yes.
Old 06-06-13, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Today's draftees would probably spoil the landing site on Twitter.
Old 06-06-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

@SealTeam6 just checked in Behind Enemy Lines. Are you nearby?
Old 06-06-13, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

Yes. The atrocities being committed were certain.
Old 06-06-13, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That is a better question.

Many probably don't remember the press being on the beach waiting at the site of a Seal ingress point. I still remember how suddenly the reporters and etc became aware someone may be near them, started looking around the water at the shore and turning on their camera lights towards the water, and the Seal team just stood up out of the shallow water they had been concealing in, and walked out of the water in the glare of the lights.

Man that was surreal. I bet it blew the team's mind. They are all in top level A team mode, doing an amphibious insertion, and at the shore they realize they're blown, and fucking news crews are at their insertion point.

Old 06-06-13, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

@ImaSouldjah On our way to Omaha Beach! Don't tell the Krauts! #overlord#yolo
Old 06-06-13, 11:00 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to believe its been almost 70 years...
Old 06-06-13, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by troystiffler View Post
Yes. The atrocities being committed were certain.
I was always under the impression that we really didn't know about the Holocaust until after the war was over.
Old 06-06-13, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts

My orders came through. My squadron ships out tomorrow. We're bombing the storage depots at Daiquiri at 1800 hours. We're coming in from the north, below their radar.
When will you be back?
I can't tell you that. It's classified.
Old 06-06-13, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Old 06-06-13, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From what I've read, the state department received a report in 1942 that Germany was implementing a campaign to exterminate Jewry in its occupied territories. The Allies were already at war with Germany so other than condemnation, there wasn't really anything to respond with.
But did the state department report trickle down to average Americans? On June 6, 1944, how much did the average Americans know about the Nazis putting Jews in gas chambers and ovens? Obviously, the average Americans thought that the Nazis were bad guys, but did they really know just how evil they really were?
Old 06-06-13, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
Hard to believe its been almost 70 years...
Yes, we've entered the "get over it" era at least 20 years ago.
Old 06-06-13, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
I was always under the impression that we really didn't know about the Holocaust until after the war was over.
http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/n...holocaust.html

For most Americans, the Pacific conflict was a matter of much greater concern than the war in Europe. Working fourteen hours a day in the Brooklyn Navy Yard, the future playwright Arthur Miller observed "the near absence among the men I worked with ... of any comprehension of what Nazism meant — we were fighting Germany essentially because she had allied herself with the Japanese who had attacked us at Pearl Harbor." American soldiers and sailors were continuously engaged in combat with the Japanese from the beginning to the end of the war — first retreating, then advancing across the islands of the Pacific. It was not until the last year of the war, after the Normandy invasion, that there was equal attention given to the European theater. Certainly in popular representations of the war, especially in the movies, it was the Japanese who were America's leading enemy. "Axis atrocities" summoned up images of American victims of the Bataan Death March — not of Europeans, Jewish or gentile, under the Nazi heel.

http://history.hanover.edu/hhr/94/hhr94_5.html

Though not privy to documents crossing State Department desks, the American people were not blind to the genocide unfolding halfway around the world. The newspaper became the most prevalent medium for informing the people. David Wyman, in The Abandonment of the Jews: America and the Holocaust, 1941-1945, emphasized that the American press did little to publicize news of the Holocaust and stir public activism, and he blamed the press as one of the groups which failed the Jews during the war. Although coverage was sometimes scant and often relegated to inner pages, the information was still available to the American public. During the summer of 1942, newspapers acknowledged the various reports of Nazi atrocities. On June 27, for example, the New York Times published about two inches on page five regarding the Polish government's report, which was also broadcast on the BBC and CBS radio, of 700,000 Jews slain by the Nazis. The article quoted the statement: "To accomplish this, probably the greatest mass slaughter in history, every death-dealing method was employed--machine-gun bullets, hand grenades, gas chambers, concentration camps, whipping, torture instruments, and starvation." Three days later, a longer article under the headline "1,000,000 Jews Slain By Nazis, Report Says," appeared in the New York Times detailing the World Jewish Congress report.

Last edited by inri222; 06-06-13 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-06-13, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So nice of the History Channel to celebrate today with nonstop episodes of Pawn Stars
Old 06-06-13, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 363 Likes on 236 Posts

Old 06-06-13, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

I have only the highest respect for those that fought in the war and especially those that landed on the beaches on June 6th. Thank you.
Old 06-06-13, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 363 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
On June 6, 1944, how much did the average Americans know about the Nazis putting Jews in gas chambers and ovens?
It was posted on Drudge.. had the siren light and everything.
Old 06-06-13, 02:07 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

This is awesome.

I fear that just as the distance of history has reduced most people's knowledge of the Civil War to, "The war we fought to end slavery", WWII will soon be remembered in simplified terms as "The war we fought to stop Germany from committing genocide."

The truth is that Americans were indifferent to or entirely ignorant of the atrocities committed by the Nazis. Most Americans had never met a Jew and probably held anti-semitic views, not maliciously, but out of ignorance and/or old prejudices. After the war, artists like Charlie Chaplin and Orson Welles were branded "pre-maturely anti-fascist" because they dared to argue for America's entry in to the European theater before Pearl Harbor. I just watched Lubitsch's To Be Or Not To Be last weekend. That film was a box office bomb because even when released 4 months after Pearl Harbor, Americans were not interested in anything to do with Nazi occupation of Poland and persecution of Jews, even if it was a sex comedy.

Most Americans saw the war for what it really was: A working out of issues that had plagued the Eurpoean continent for centuries. The US shouldn't intervene in these "old world" problems.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.