Reload this Page >

Proposed Forum Rule Changes

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 05-29-13, 12:44 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this place needs quite a bit of cleaning up, in terms of stricter standards regarding both individual remarks and externally-linked content.

For example, one user in the "Other Talk" section mentioned that he'd spoken with a woman online, who showed up at his home wanting to sleep with him. Instead, he passed her off like property, even asking his roommate if he was "up for some [vagina]". This kind of thing is completely despicable, and should not be allowed.

Also, many users have been swearing so much it makes the Navy look bad, and when I've asked them to stop, they personally attack and mock me. I've tried using the report feature, but the deliberately offensive material stays intact, and no one from the moderation team contacts me to say why they didn't remove it. I've noticed many people combining God's name with "damn" on a regular basis, and dropping the "F-bomb" every chance they get. Crude terms for sexual anatomy have also been a terrible recurrence.

I'm not in favor of blanketed censorship, but there needs to be much more common courtesy enforced around here. Knowingly making posts to anger or insult another is disrespectful, immature, and selfish.
Old 05-29-13, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts
Re: Proposed Forum Rule Changes

Old 05-29-13, 01:23 AM
Banned by request

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In a post that will surprise no one, I am against these changes. For one thing, this isn't the 1950s or Catholic school. For another, unless you're going to pay moderators, the amount of moderation required to police all of this would be too much to ask of the all-volunteer moderating staff.

And, on a more philosophical level, I think that the more open we can make this place, the better. Obviously there are some limits that we've decided upon, but I remember a time when we actually couldn't curse here, or at least couldn't say the harder swear words. The community wanted to use those words, and Geoff (with some prompting from Kevin Smith, IIRC), gave the community what they wanted, and people were happier for it.

I see a lot of members expressing dissatisfaction with what's happened to DVD Talk in the past few years. If we enacted these changes, I'd guess we'd lose a great deal of our membership.

And shit, even when the cursing ban was in place, I think even then we were still able to say goddamn. These things are just words. They can be as meaningful or meaningless as you let them be.

I would, however, like to thank moviefan for putting this discussion in the appropriate forum. Hopefully it won't bleed into other threads anymore.
Old 05-29-13, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Goddamn this ain't mother fuckin sunday school.
Old 05-29-13, 02:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
In a post that will surprise no one, I am against these changes. For one thing, this isn't the 1950s or Catholic school.
It doesn't have to be; these terms are just as wrong now as they were then.

For another, unless you're going to pay moderators, the amount of moderation required to police all of this would be too much to ask of the all-volunteer moderating staff.
I'd do it for free, since I spend most of my time online anyway. I wouldn't seek out every thread, but if someone kept up with the swearing in one I frequented, their posts would either be modified or deleted. If they still persisted, I'd ban them.

And, on a more philosophical level, I think that the more open we can make this place, the better.
Open to what, and why?

Obviously there are some limits that we've decided upon, but I remember a time when we actually couldn't curse here, or at least couldn't say the harder swear words. The community wanted to use those words, and Geoff (with some prompting from Kevin Smith, IIRC), gave the community what they wanted, and people were happier for it.
Only those who should have their mouths scrubbed out with dish soap.

I see a lot of members expressing dissatisfaction with what's happened to DVD Talk in the past few years. If we enacted these changes, I'd guess we'd lose a great deal of our membership.
Maybe, but the ones you'd still have would be more honorable and civil.

And shit, even when the cursing ban was in place, I think even then we were still able to say goddamn. These things are just words. They can be as meaningful or meaningless as you let them be.
I disagree; every word has an inherent meaning, and many more than one.

I would, however, like to thank moviefan for putting this discussion in the appropriate forum. Hopefully it won't bleed into other threads anymore.
I can't guarantee that, but I'll do my best.
Old 05-29-13, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Let's just suck all the fun out of this place. Great idea.
Old 05-29-13, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
It doesn't have to be; these terms are just as wrong now as they were then

I can't guarantee that, but I'll do my best.
moviefan2k4, I can't help but find your responses to be extraordinarily condescending to the rest of us. I rarely post, but I'm motivated to let it be known that I can think of no faster way to kill this forum than to make you a mod.
Old 05-29-13, 03:18 AM
Banned by request

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really don't mean to be rude, but judging by some of your other posts, moviefan, I think you have far more pressing issues that need to be addressed in your own life than what other people do and say on an internet message board. I doubt being a moderator would be healthy for you, and I also do not think it would be as easy as you assume it is.

And you asked what the forum should be open to. Ideas, forms of expression, discussion, and many more things besides. IMO, there should be as few restrictions as possible. In fact, if it were up to me, I'd probably remove some of the restrictions we already have. However, until that day comes, I'm perfectly happy to enforce the rules as written.
Old 05-29-13, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm not in favor of blanketed censorship, but there needs to be much more common courtesy enforced around here.
A casual reminder: "I'm not in favor of X, but..." equals "I am in favor of X, and..."

Every time.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 05-29-13 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-29-13, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I think this place needs quite a bit of cleaning up, in terms of stricter standards regarding both individual remarks and externally-linked content.

For example, one user in the "Other Talk" section mentioned that he'd spoken with a woman online, who showed up at his home wanting to sleep with him. Instead, he passed her off like property, even asking his roommate if he was "up for some [vagina]". This kind of thing is completely despicable, and should not be allowed.

Also, many users have been swearing so much it makes the Navy look bad, and when I've asked them to stop, they personally attack and mock me. I've tried using the report feature, but the deliberately offensive material stays intact, and no one from the moderation team contacts me to say why they didn't remove it. I've noticed many people combining God's name with "damn" on a regular basis, and dropping the "F-bomb" every chance they get. Crude terms for sexual anatomy have also been a terrible recurrence.

I'm not in favor of blanketed censorship, but there needs to be much more common courtesy enforced around here. Knowingly making posts to anger or insult another is disrespectful, immature, and selfish.
Ya know, this might not be the forum for you. Instead of trying to change a forum, why don't you find another one you'd be more comfortable in?
Old 05-29-13, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by covenant View Post

Ya know, this might not be the forum for you. Instead of trying to change a forum, why don't you find another one you'd be more comfortable in?
I think he's been banned from most other sites.
Old 05-29-13, 08:15 AM
Premium Member

Received 202 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by covenant View Post
Old 05-29-13, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 352 Likes on 259 Posts

Another idea is to start your own forum. Invite like-minded members. Set up your own rules too. And I believe there are free options.
Old 05-29-13, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Graftenberg View Post
I think he's been banned from most other sites.
evidently:
Nobody has anything on Moviefan2k4, he gets suspended every 2nd week for his outrageous views on sex, religion etc. From what I can gather his last suspenion given, which is still in effect, must be no less than 3 months.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....ht=moviefan2k4

and it's pretty bad when you're a Christian banned from a Christian chat board:

https://christianchat.com/member.php?u=12548

and there are more, lots more...

Last edited by covenant; 05-29-13 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-29-13, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts

Old 05-29-13, 09:26 AM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm not touching that christianchat.com link with a 10 foot pole. Self-signed ssl certificate?
Old 05-29-13, 09:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Another idea is to start your own forum. Invite like-minded members. Set up your own rules too. And I believe there are free options.
I tried that once years ago, but the programming confused me so much I accidentally banned myself.

Glad to see someone's taking my side in that place. I've sent numerous requests for reinstatement over there, but I think some of the mods have personal vendettas. They rarely even allow religious discussion of any kind, but they let people who constantly cuss and post sexually demeaning images stick around.

and it's pretty bad when you're a Christian banned from a Christian chat board.
Again, I suspect another personal vendetta. Here's my letter to the mods over there...

I was banned around May 5th, and the reason given was "arguing against a mod's request to change topics in the Lounge". I suppose that's a technically accurate description, but here's the details.

Several members including myself were discussing the issue of homosexuality in the Lounge, and apparently, a moderator got offended. He asked me for a topic switch, and I said it was important for Christians to discuss such matters. I offered moving the discussion to another room in the system, but he didn't reply. The topic was dropped a couple of minutes later, and I logged off. The next morning, I found the ban notice on my account, listed as "indefinite".

Anyone who's spoken to me at length on CC knows I won't stand for political correctness. I don't set out to bother people, but I'm not responsible for their reactions, either. Its no wonder that so many Christians are losing these kinds of debates in the public square, when we can't even discuss them amongst ourselves without someone crying foul. I enjoy being part of the CC family, and I'm sorry some people were bothered, but it wasn't my fault. I'd like to be reinstated as soon as possible, and for whoever banned me to be disciplined. Thank you for your time.
Old 05-29-13, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suppose you are not aware that your own ultra-religious views are offensive to many people? Offense can be taken in various ways. Obviously, your chronic problems in forums are indicative of this. Why are your outrageous viewpoints acceptable but others are not?
Old 05-29-13, 10:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I suppose you are not aware that your own ultra-religious views are offensive to many people? Offense can be taken in various ways. Obviously, your chronic problems in forums are indicative of this. Why are your outrageous viewpoints acceptable but others are not?
No matter the subject, everyone's opinion carries the potential of offending someone else, so trying to eradicate that is pointless. What really matters is the intent behind such statements, and sadly, many in the PC crowd don't seem to care. They lash out like spoiled children, but when others respond without deliberately being offensive, they go running to any foolish organization that will defend them. Ultimately, its about a severe lack of personal responsibility.
Old 05-29-13, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

No matter the subject, everyone's opinion carries the potential of offending someone else, so trying to eradicate that is pointless. What really matters is the intent behind such statements...
And the best way to deliver that intent is to censor their expression? Gotcha.
Old 05-29-13, 10:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
And the best way to deliver that intent is to censor their expression? Gotcha.
If it serves to the betterment of the whole, then yes. After all, we criticize things all the time, that are damaging to our society and people in general; words should be no different. We have an innate responsibility to treat others as we would want to be treated, whether they reciprocate or not.
Old 05-29-13, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are like an alternate universe Sheldon Cooper, who fell off of the scientific path and went melon-first into a strange little religious realm.

You're even from Texas, so this all fits so well.
Old 05-29-13, 10:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
You are like an alternate universe Sheldon Cooper, who fell off of the scientific path and went melon-first into a strange little religious realm.

You're even from Texas, so this all fits so well.
I'm just staunchly against the double standard of political correctness, which insists that its perfectly fine to condemn anyone who believes in absolute truth, but forbidden for anyone like that to even question their opponents non-maliciously.
Old 05-29-13, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm just staunchly against the double standard of political correctness, which insists that its perfectly fine to condemn anyone who believes in absolute truth, but forbidden for anyone like that to even question their opponents non-maliciously.
Freedom of speech isn't always the most comfortable subject, but it's needed. I think it's important that we should all be able to accept other people's thoughts, even if it's negative towards your own views.
Old 05-29-13, 10:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
Freedom of speech isn't always the most comfortable subject, but it's needed. I think it's important that we should all be able to accept other people's thoughts, even if it's negative towards your own views.
True tolerance doesn't equal embracing all views as equally valid, but recognizing that opposing views have an equal right to exist.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.