DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-22-15, 12:45 PM   #126
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Consumer Reports gives the Tesla Model S the highest rating of any car in the mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Question: Do the heated steering wheel an seats, etc suck the battery down or are those things running off some sort of generated power while driving?
I'm pretty sure it's just battery power. The car lets you heat up or cool down the driver compartment by turning on the heat or AC remotely with the phone app prior to you getting in the car. My friend who already has a Tesla says the car can keep track of your daily schedule and if you're always leaving at 5, it starts cooling down the car automatically at 4:45. One of the many joys of not having an engine.

That said, one of the main reasons (besides $1500) that I'm not getting the Glass Panoramic Roof is that I've read in hot climates like mine, the sunroof really causes the car to get hot and that you have to really crank up the AC to compensate and that affects your range a bit.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 04-22-15, 12:51 PM   #127
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Consumer Reports gives the Tesla Model S the highest rating of any car in the mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
That's a FULLY LOADED 2013 Honda Odyssey thank you very much!
Odyssey's are great minivans! My wife and I like them so much that we now have two. Bought a '14 Touring last year and, of course, I get the old '07.

Though, I am looking forward to the end of the carseat/booster days so I can get something different.
Old 04-22-15, 02:57 PM   #128
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's just battery power. The car lets you heat up or cool down the driver compartment by turning on the heat or AC remotely with the phone app prior to you getting in the car. My friend who already has a Tesla says the car can keep track of your daily schedule and if you're always leaving at 5, it starts cooling down the car automatically at 4:45. One of the many joys of not having an engine.

That said, one of the main reasons (besides $1500) that I'm not getting the Glass Panoramic Roof is that I've read in hot climates like mine, the sunroof really causes the car to get hot and that you have to really crank up the AC to compensate and that affects your range a bit.
So no sun cover for the sun roof? That's silly. Mercedes has essentially a piece of cloth that comes out and filters most of the sun. I guess thats all you can do with those giant sun roofs.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 04-22-15, 03:34 PM   #129
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
So no sun cover for the sun roof? That's silly. Mercedes has essentially a piece of cloth that comes out and filters most of the sun. I guess thats all you can do with those giant sun roofs.
Buy some curtains at Target. ??
Old 04-22-15, 03:36 PM   #130
DVD Talk Hero

If you can mount them horizontally and they tuck away so you can't see them when not in use, I suppose so.

Old 04-22-15, 07:04 PM   #131
DVD Talk Legend

Tesla's New Battery Could Solve One of Solar Power's Biggest Problems

Need this for zombie apocalypse.

- Demetri Martin
Old 05-04-15, 12:29 AM   #132
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
That said I'm still a little bummed out I'm not getting the Ultra High Fidelity Premium Sound System, but it's an extra $2500 (and I still wouldn't be able to use XM since I don't want the glass roof). I listened to the 7-speaker base system and while it's not mind-blowing, I think it's good enough for me. Sounded fine, if not as rich and full as the Bose system I have in my current Infiniti. Gotta draw the line somewhere.
Or maybe not. Don't know if anyone cares about my Tesla Odyssey enough for an update, but figured might as well throw one or two in there anyway.
I had some regret about not springing for the better sound system. Went to the dealership to do a comparison. To my disappointment, I thought the upgraded system sounded a LOT better. My home AV guy groaned when I told him I went with the stock sound system and pointed out that it would be a shame not to have the good system at this added cost (and reminded me that I couldn't upgrade it after the fact due to the complex electrical system in this car). I read a couple of articles that described the UHF Sound System as one of the best in any car at any price (one described going down into his garage, turning on the air or the heat depending on the season, grabbing a glass of wine and just chilling to the music in the comfy leather chairs in the garage - that sounds nice, and of course something you can't do with a gas-powered car). And most importantly to me, my wife pointed out if I'm spending this sort of money on a car, I shouldn't be having regrets about the sound system (she said all she really cared about was that I didn't get the glass roof). So I called the dealer, but the bullet and upgraded the sound system. Now it's more expensive, but it's perfect for me.
Checking the website, my car is in queue for production, I have a VIN number and most surprisingly, they moved UP the delivery date to "Late May". In other words, shit just got real. I have to get an electrician in within the next couple of weeks to add a 220V outlet in the garage to charge it. Gotta clean out the garage of stuff as well (groan).

Oh, and I mentioned that I was supposed to get free stuff with the order, well I got it. They gave me a baseball cap, a couple of nice Tesla key chains and a pretty nice print of some early Model S design sketches witb the TESLA logo embossed in the top. Getting that framed and putting it up in the Man Cave.

I'll keep you guys posted about the car once I get a more firm date. Hoping to have the car by Memorial Day weekend, but probably won't be that soon.

Last edited by Decker; 05-04-15 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-04-15, 09:35 AM   #133
DVD Talk Hero

Smart move. What's another couple grand? The car is expensive enough, you want to be satisfied.

So did you get gray like the pic you posted earlier?

Old 05-04-15, 10:29 AM   #134
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, that's the color - they call it "Titanium". I saw one at the dealer the other day. It's got almost a gold tint to it. It's a nice color and you don't really see other cars that color on the road. The interior in that car was the same as mine - tan. It goes nicely with the car.

* Mine has just the black plastic on the dash, not the wood vernier like in this picture. And no glass roof, just a solid roof with a cloth header.

Old 05-04-15, 11:59 AM   #135
DVD Talk Legend

Good stuff! I'm peanut butter and jealous.
Old 05-06-15, 11:57 AM   #136
DVD Talk Hero

Just had a HUGE scare. Had an electrician come over to install a 220 plug. Thought that would be a "No Big Deal" sort of formality (the website says something like "You probably don't already have a 220 V plug in your garage, but an electrician can easily install one for you"). He came out and after crunching numbers told me there wasn't enough available amperage on my exterior circuit panel to add a 40 AMP 220 V plug. He said I was looking at a HUGE expense of rewiring and everything if my interior panel didn't have the available amperage.
Fortunately it appears that the inside panel in my house does have enough available amperage. It will now require some more complicated wire-running inside the walls of my house and attic to run the circuit from my bathroom out to the garage, but at least it's do-able without major expense. For a moment there I entertained the thought of having to cancel my order and walking away from the deposit. That would have really sucked!

Last edited by Decker; 05-06-15 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-06-15, 08:05 PM   #137
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why would you have walked away? You would of course still had 110V and that supercharger station 16 miles away! How much will adding that 220V outlet set you back?
Old 05-06-15, 08:18 PM   #138
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did you get the red Brembos?
Old 05-06-15, 09:23 PM   #139
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How many hours does it take to completely charge the car on 110v?
Old 05-06-15, 09:39 PM   #140
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Why would you have walked away? You would of course still had 110V and that supercharger station 16 miles away! How much will adding that 220V outlet set you back?
Well, I don't know what I would have done if they told me it was impossible to run a circuit to the garage. You can't really use a 110 V outlet because it charges at a rate of something like 1 mile an hour. It would be essentially impossible for me to charge my car up enough for daily commuting without going to the Supercharger every day or two. Not being able to have a 220 V outlet installed in my garage wasnt a possibility i even considered. Certainly nobody at the dealership or the website indicated that might be the case. It was always just a quearion of how many hundreds it would cost to have an electrician install it. Looks like I just dodged a bullet (but I'm still waiting for an official estimate from them
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
No. I don't think it's even an option. It's a standard feature on the $105,000 P85D model to distinguish it from us commoners.

Old 05-06-15, 09:43 PM   #141
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Well, I don'tknow what I would have done if they told me it was impossible to run a circuit to the garage. You can't really use a 110 V outlet because it charges at a rate of something like 1 mile an hour. It would be essentially impossible for me to charge my car up enough for daily commuting without going to the Supercharger every day or two. Not being able to have a 220 V outlet installed in my garage wasnt a possibility I even considered. Certainly nobody at the dealership or the website indicated that might be the case. It was always just a question of how many hundreds it would cost to have an electrician install it. Looks like I just dodged a bullet (but I'm still waiting for an official estimate from them, so who knows, I might still be screwed).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
No. I don't think it's even an option. It's a standard feature on the $105,000 P85D model to distinguish it from us commoners.

Old 05-06-15, 10:04 PM   #142
DVD Talk Legend

220v is about 8 times faster and uses 30% less power than 110v.

Decker: I think it's more like 3-4 miles per hour on 110v. 220v is 25+.
Old 05-06-15, 10:13 PM   #143
DVD Talk Hero

Here's my electricity question : Do you know why if I don't have 40 Amps available on my panel, they couldn't just put in a 220 V outlet with 20 Amps (like my washer and dryer are plugged into)? I have at least that available downstairs, but the electrician made it seem like that wasn't a possibility. I wondered if that could work as an alternative (or worst-case scenario) and just charge slower. The actual charger that comes with the car is a 40 Amp charger, but since it can plug into a 110 V charger and charge the car slowly, I would just assume it could charge a little slower with a 220 V 20 Amp plug as well. Of course I know nothing about home wiring and electricity.

Old 05-06-15, 10:18 PM   #144
DVD Talk Legend

Sweet ride.
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 05-06-15, 10:22 PM   #145
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Never really looked into the options but you would think it would be standard equipment even on the standard model. It wasn't available when my friend bought his. It's hella quick; you would think they would want to stop it just as fast.

I know if you went out and bought a set it costs around $6K from Brembo for the 6 piston version and that's without installation.
Old 05-06-15, 10:41 PM   #146
DVD Talk Hero

It's kind of the last thing I need. From what I read in the Tesla forum (and based on my limited experience driving one) you barely use the brakes at all. You take your foot off the "gas" and you immediately slow down with the regen braking. It feels a little weird at first, but it's really pretty awesome to drive around town without needing to use the brakes.

Old 05-09-15, 10:45 PM   #147
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

this sounds promising...although no word on when it will be out:

new-generation battery packs will significantly expand the Roadster’s battery life from the current 245 mile range to about 400, allowing the nonstop benchmark drive between Los Angeles and San Francisco, California to become a reality.

Read more at http://www.stuff.tv/in/news/tesla-mo...fDhtvfqDojv.99
Old 05-10-15, 12:40 AM   #148
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Here's my electricity question : Do you know why if I don't have 40 Amps available on my panel, they couldn't just put in a 220 V outlet with 20 Amps (like my washer and dryer are plugged into)? I have at least that available downstairs, but the electrician made it seem like that wasn't a possibility. I wondered if that could work as an alternative (or worst-case scenario) and just charge slower. The actual charger that comes with the car is a 40 Amp charger, but since it can plug into a 110 V charger and charge the car slowly, I would just assume it could charge a little slower with a 220 V 20 Amp plug as well. Of course I know nothing about home wiring and electricity.
I'd seek a second opinion from another electrician.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 05-10-15, 03:30 AM   #149
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I'd seek a second opinion from another electrician.
Yup. I found the local service endorsed by Tesla Motors. The guy came out today and found a 50 Amp breaker in the garage panel labeled "Steamer". Since I have nothing remotely resembling a steamer in my house he suggested we use that. My wife later pointed out there used to be a steam shower in the house before we remodeled, so that's probably what that went to. Running the circuit from there to a post in my garage will cost $625 including all the plans and permits (seems like overkill to me, but they've got to follow every regulation and rule to remain the Tesla-endorsed company).

Got my first call from the delivery specialist. Apparently my car goes into production next week.

Old 05-10-15, 09:02 PM   #150
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Oh, and I mentioned that I was supposed to get free stuff with the order, well I got it. They gave me a baseball cap, a couple of nice Tesla key chains and a pretty nice print of some early Model S design sketches with the TESLA logo embossed in the top. Getting that framed and putting it up in the Man Cave.
Here's the print they gave me, now that I got it custom matted (and placed in a standard frame) :

Spoiler:

I've looked on the internet and haven't seen this print anywhere else. Thought it was cool