Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Tesla and other Electric Cars Talk

Old 04-29-19, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Tesla and other Electric Cars Talk

Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post
If you buy a Chevy Bolt or a Nissan Leaf EV and decide to go for an all renewable energy setup, what do you do exactly? I guess the solar panels are fairly straight forward, assuming there is a vendor who covers your area. But what about a third party equivalent of Powerwalls - who are the vendors (do they even exist?). And then what happens when you go for a 300 mile trip - where, how and for how long do you recharge your batteries without superchargers?

I mentioned this before : Even if you could make the full 250 mile trip from LA to Vegas on a single charge (and I wouldn't risk it), what are you going to do when you get there? Sure there are some chargers here and there, but what if you don't have one at your hotel available to use overnight? You can't go to a standard charger and fuel up in an hour or so. It would be hours.
If it's not a Tesla, your EV is for daily commutes or quick 1-2 hour excursions. No other EV is practical for a road trip.
That said, every family only needs, at most, one car capable of road-tripping.
Old 04-29-19, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
He's also heavily invested in the whole going-to-space/Mars folderol, which I find idiotic given the problems we have here on earth, but that's his choice.
Congrats, you're the only other person I've known who actually uses the word "folderol" -- although I prefer the spelling "falderal".

And, yes, Musk is a "dick" because he thrives on pomp and circumstance (many would say that's all needless falderal!) and does not do things by way of, or tolerate the old-school gentleman's agreement "pecking order" of traditional business practices

For some that makes him a "dick", but for me it makes him a young whippersnapper who probably has a few things left to learn (the hard way). He also comes across as immature and intolerant of any positive criticism.

He's the epitome of what most Millennials want to be like in real-life and in business practice. Cocky and self-assurred, but also smart as hell.

He's kind of like a mix between Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. With probably 10 different masks he wears depending on the situation., with a bit of the narcissist in each one.

All that being said, I wish the man all the success in the world. He certainly is trying to make a difference in a big way.
Old 04-30-19, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Interesting take. I don't know a whole lot about him, but I did see the profile of him and Tesla by Lesley Stahl on 60 Minutes a couple of months ago. On an interpersonal level, he came across as, erm... peculiar, but hypnotic. I did not detect outward arrogance or narcissism, necessarily, nor even overt confidence; more along the lines of a focused obsessiveness and tenacity. He's odd. Perhaps he's on the autism spectrum, and that's why he seems a little off; but there's also something about him that's quite endearing. I can't explain it.
Old 05-01-19, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^Interesting take. I don't know a whole lot about him, but I did see the profile of him and Tesla by Lesley Stahl on 60 Minutes a couple of months ago. On an interpersonal level, he came across as, erm... peculiar, but hypnotic. I did not detect outward arrogance or narcissism, necessarily, nor even overt confidence; more along the lines of a focused obsessiveness and tenacity. He's odd. Perhaps he's on the autism spectrum, and that's why he seems a little off; but there's also something about him that's quite endearing. I can't explain it.
That's where I come down, too. I don't agree with everything he says or does but in general I feel like he's trying to do things to move humanity and the planet forward in a positive way. While I think he can get too wrapped up in possible conspiracies there are certainly a lot of powerful interest that do not want him and his ideas to succeed.
Old 05-01-19, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
While I think he can get too wrapped up in possible conspiracies there are certainly a lot of powerful interest that do not want him and his ideas to succeed.
When there are transparent conspiracies against him (Tesla "dealership" bans) it is not hard to imagine there might be more that are actually clandestine. The guy has given the middle finger to business as usual, "old-school gentleman's agrrement", SOP of most every other business in the US/World, he ruffles feathers of very rich and powerful men.
Old 05-01-19, 07:59 PM

... more along the lines of a focused obsessiveness and tenacity. He's odd. Perhaps he's on the autism spectrum, and that's why he seems a little off; but there's also something about him that's quite endearing. I can't explain it.
On an interpersonal level, yes, I agree with this astute analysis.

He is either biopolar / manic depressive, or "on the spectrum." This much, we can agree on, is what makes him an odd duck.Social graces are lacking. But, he can find and hire people who are better at those graceful things than he, and thereby shift focus. I think he'll be better on in the background, while cooking up his innovations and leaving the PR and "business" day-to-day grind to more seasoned and traditional "gentlemen" of the oldschool.
Old 05-03-19, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ordered on 4/6, my Red Model 3 Performance is scheduled to be delivered almost exactly a month later on 5/7. Pics to be posted Tuesday?
Old 05-03-19, 01:38 PM

Yes please, pictures!
Old 05-05-19, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got to pick it up two days early at the Delivery Center. I was glad because I had them clean up a couple small marks, and they didn't include the two phone cables, so I got them. I also bought a shirt! This thing is crazy fast, autopilot is amazing and I am totally in love.

Meet Lucy (I have never named a car before, but since you can in the menus...)

Old 05-05-19, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

She’s a beaut!
Old 05-06-19, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
I got to pick it up two days early at the Delivery Center. I was glad because I had them clean up a couple small marks, and they didn't include the two phone cables, so I got them. I also bought a shirt! This thing is crazy fast, autopilot is amazing and I am totally in love.

Meet Lucy (I have never named a car before, but since you can in the menus...)

Congrats! I have the AWD long range. If I had a do-over, I would opt for the Performance.
Old 05-06-19, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nasesco417 View Post

Congrats! I have the AWD long range. If I had a do-over, I would opt for the Performance.
I figured if I was getting it, I would get the best one. I love it...

Edited to add: I removed that front plate today. Ordered a magnetic removable frame holder that can go on and off easy.

Last edited by Chrisedge; 05-06-19 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-06-19, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sweet ride!
Old 05-07-19, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Review of Audi’s e-Tron. I was hoping the coupe would be out, but this and the I-Pace at least give options to the Model X.

The 200+ mile range is solid. The fast charge has potential to be spectacular depending on availability.

Its a bit expensive and to low to the ground to take advantage of the torque for off-roading.
Old 05-08-19, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just saw a new, interesting *kinda* electric car on the road today. I'd never seen anything like it so I asked my son to Google it while I drove home :

Karma Revero

I've never seen or even heard of one before. I guess it has a 50 mile electric range and then a gas engine back-up. Not sure how practical that is, but it sure was pretty.

That said, checking online reviews, it looks like Bloomberg REALLY didn't like it.
Old 05-09-19, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I found this article interesting. I think it illustrates why Tesla starting from the ground-up and trying to break into the auto industry isn't necessarily as hard as it may seem on the surface. By being new they seem to have taken a more from square 1 approach in thinking to the entire process. If you look at the results of what the established competition has been doing, they are rushing out inferior products. Likely the result of having existing engineers design items instead of making sure you have the best possible. How many of them (long-standing auto manufacturers) will truly take the time to do it all right? I was really surprised at how poorly they thought of the BMW i3.

https://www.teslarati.com/teslas-mod...-auto-experts/
Old 05-09-19, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice-looking car, that Karma.

My mom is looking at the Nissan Leaf Plus, Kia Niro EV, and Hyundai Kona as possibilities for her next car. Anyone have experience with one or more of these?
Range and interior space are two of the most important features for her/us, aside from, of course reliability and build quality, which I believe are quite similar with all three. The Leaf Plus (which looks dorky) has a large luggage compartment, but I sat in the back seat of one a couple of days ago and found the headroom slightly cramped, and the range (363 km) is borderline problematic for us, if one loses a significant amount because of AC usage or hilly roads. The Kona has the highest range (415 km), but is the smallest of the three in terms of interior space. The Niro has less range (385 km) than the Kona, but more than the Leaf Plus, and more interior space than the Kona, but less luggage room than the Leaf Plus. It's a very tough call when considering our particular needs, and all three vehicles are very hard to get hold of. I spoke to a man at the Electric Vehicle Discovery Centre here in Toronto, and according to him many of these manufacturers are only entering the EV market hesitantly, and not advertising or supporting their EVs with much eagerness. They don't make as much money on EVs as they do on ICEs, both upfront and in terms of ongoing costs.
Old 05-10-19, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice-looking car, that Karma.

My mom is looking at the Nissan Leaf Plus, Kia Niro EV, and Hyundai Kona as possibilities for her next car. Anyone have experience with one or more of these?
Range and interior space are two of the most important features for her/us, aside from, of course reliability and build quality, which I believe are quite similar with all three. The Leaf Plus (which looks dorky) has a large luggage compartment, but I sat in the back seat of one a couple of days ago and found the headroom slightly cramped, and the range (363 km) is borderline problematic for us, if one loses a significant amount because of AC usage or hilly roads. The Kona has the highest range (415 km), but is the smallest of the three in terms of interior space. The Niro has less range (385 km) than the Kona, but more than the Leaf Plus, and more interior space than the Kona, but less luggage room than the Leaf Plus. It's a very tough call when considering our particular needs, and all three vehicles are very hard to get hold of. I spoke to a man at the Electric Vehicle Discovery Centre here in Toronto, and according to him many of these manufacturers are only entering the EV market hesitantly, and not advertising or supporting their EVs with much eagerness. They don't make as much money on EVs as they do on ICEs, both upfront and in terms of ongoing costs.
If I was buying one of those (and not the Tesla I just got) from what I've read, I would buy the Kona. Range is everything because it's always less than what they say. This is coming from someone that has had 4 Nissan family of cars (3 Nissan's and an Infinity) and I like Nissan. Hyundai is making great cars and certainly the Kona is the hot new EV.
Old 05-10-19, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw a Revero on my drive home last night... beautiful car.
Old 05-12-19, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I found this article interesting. I think it illustrates why Tesla starting from the ground-up and trying to break into the auto industry isn't necessarily as hard as it may seem on the surface. By being new they seem to have taken a more from square 1 approach in thinking to the entire process. If you look at the results of what the established competition has been doing, they are rushing out inferior products. Likely the result of having existing engineers design items instead of making sure you have the best possible. How many of them (long-standing auto manufacturers) will truly take the time to do it all right? I was really surprised at how poorly they thought of the BMW i3.

I is an interesting read. I think the issue for other manufacturers is simple. They could build something as good or better than Tesla, but purposely choose not to. Why? Look no further than Kodak.

Kodak had the people, knowledge and cash to be a leader to be a leader in digital technology. But they were simply making so much money on film and paper, they refused to see the future. I say refused cause it wasn’t a matter of seeing digital, they just couldn’t pull away from film and paper.

Companies like Ford, GM, and Chrysler make “all” their profits on the number one selling vehicles in the US. Full sized Trucks. Ford is all but printing money with the F150. Soooo, it will be hard for them to really commit to something that is essentially opposite that. (having said that, they are looking to build in some of this newer technology into their trucks).

Now i I am a bit surprised to not see more Tesla competition from something like the VW group.

I do think the Model 3 is an industry game changer. It was a bit easy to suggest Tesla was a niche company when you had to spend $100,000 on one, but even tho the $35,000 model was/is late to the party, being able to get one easily under $50,000 is huge. And they are selling and selling well.

Old 05-12-19, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I is an interesting read. I think the issue for other manufacturers is simple. They could build something as good or better than Tesla, but purposely choose not to. Why? Look no further than Kodak.

Kodak had the people, knowledge and cash to be a leader to be a leader in digital technology. But they were simply making so much money on film and paper, they refused to see the future. I say refused cause it wasn’t a matter of seeing digital, they just couldn’t pull away from film and paper.

Companies like Ford, GM, and Chrysler make “all” their profits on the number one selling vehicles in the US. Full sized Trucks. Ford is all but printing money with the F150. Soooo, it will be hard for them to really commit to something that is essentially opposite that. (having said that, they are looking to build in some of this newer technology into their trucks).

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/09/ford...-into-evs.html

Now i I am a bit surprised to not see more Tesla competition from something like the VW group.

I do think the Model 3 is an industry game changer. It was a bit easy to suggest Tesla was a niche company when you had to spend $100,000 on one, but even tho the $35,000 model was/is late to the party, being able to get one easily under $50,000 is huge. And they are selling and selling well.

Old 05-12-19, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Just saw a new, interesting *kinda* electric car on the road today. I'd never seen anything like it so I asked my son to Google it while I drove home :

Karma Revero

I've never seen or even heard of one before. I guess it has a 50 mile electric range and then a gas engine back-up. Not sure how practical that is, but it sure was pretty.

That said, checking online reviews, it looks like Bloomberg REALLY didn't like it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisker_Karma
It was originally called a Fisker Karma and it was on Two and A Half Men years ago.
Old 05-12-19, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Why is he a dick? He's an iconoclast, sure, but I'm not aware of any bad things he has done, apart from that announcement of going public (which illegality escapes me), for which he was fined. He's also heavily invested in the whole going-to-space/Mars folderol, which I find idiotic given the problems we have here on earth, but that's his choice.
Sorry to go back a bit, but this really put me off Elon Musk as a person, calling a guy trying to do the same thing he was doing (trying to help some kids) a pedophile:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...nt/1172020001/
Old 05-12-19, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

And that's *precisely* why unrestrained capitalism is WRONG on so many levels. Your example above is one of the truest and most well thought-out illustrations to the intellectual and societal "harm" that the unbrided love, worship, and pursuit of money (profit) will accomplish. Ford can go fuck themselves in their truck profiteering exercise. I can't stand pick-ups -- expensive, loud, big, gas guzzlers that they are. And Ford couldn't care less. They just make them to profit and don't give a rat's ass about the future trends and being good environmental stewards...
Old 05-13-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would like an all-electric pickup though.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.