DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-17-14, 09:40 PM   #51
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Consumer Reports gives the Tesla Model S the highest rating of any car in the mag

An Apple / Tesla merger? Bad news. That'll keep the price astronomical and the product hip and cool but not utilitarian like most of us actually want. Oh, and of course the shareholders will be kept happy with record profits.
Old 02-17-14, 09:45 PM   #52
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Consumer Reports gives the Tesla Model S the highest rating of any car in the mag

Like many companies I've noticed these days, it's a short-term stock injection hike, where only a few will make a serious profit, and everyone else will be stuck with long-term issues.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 02-18-14, 11:03 AM   #53
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Merger or collaboration yes. acquisition no way.
No way, it's a bad idea OR no way, it couldn't happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
An Apple / Tesla merger? Bad news. That'll keep the price astronomical and the product hip and cool but not utilitarian like most of us actually want. Oh, and of course the shareholders will be kept happy with record profits.
Tesla prices would come DOWN if anything, I would think. Mass production by a proven leader with deep pockets.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 02-18-14, 11:07 AM   #54
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
No way, it's a bad idea OR no way, it couldn't happen?

Tesla prices would come DOWN if anything, I would think. Mass production by a proven leader with deep pockets.
Will not happen.
Old 02-18-14, 11:25 AM   #55
DVD Talk Hero

No one's saying it will happen. But what is your reasoning on WHY it won't?

I mean,

Quote:
Tesla CEO Elon Musk met with Adrian Pierca, Apple’s head of mergers and acquisitions
is an actual sentence in an actual article.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 04-15-15, 10:08 AM   #56
DVD Talk Hero

Well, after almost two years of flirting with the idea and trying to talk myself into any other car, last night I bit the bullet and ordered this one for June delivery:

Spoiler:

I ordered the new model, the 70D. Smart move by Tesla - they eliminated the 60 kWh battery RWD car from their line up with its more limited range and lack of Supercharging and replaced it with this model -- more expensive than that one obviously, but actually cheaper than the 85 RWD model and with a lot more standard features than before and with a dual motor -- and just as powerful and fast as the 85 RWD, and a 240 Mile range compared to the 85's 270. Only needed to add two options : Leather seats (kind of amazing that's not standard, but since I had to pay for leather, went with the upgraded seating as well) and the Autopilot Convenience features which adds traffic aware cruise control, Lane keeping with automatic steering and Self-parking. That will basically let the car drive itself when out on the highway and will soon allow me to have the car come fetch me from malls and other private properties. Pretty heady, awesome stuff you can read about here. (They reference the Tech package, but that's gone now making the option a little less expensive)

It's weird to order a car online, but it was surprisingly easy to do. Got to arrange the financing and stuff later. I've been to the local dealership a couple of times so I knew what I was doing there.

Anyway, of course, I'm pretty stoked right now (and a little nervous as this is a LOT more than I've ever spent on a car before). Gonna me a long wait the next six to eight weeks....

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 04-15-15, 10:39 AM   #57
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice looking car. I'm jealous.
Old 04-15-15, 10:51 AM   #58
DVD Talk Godfather

I've ridden in and driven a Tesla (don't remember the model) and I would have no issue considering it for whenever I will end up buying a car. (No time soon).

“OK. You got me. Your real world example proves that I was wrong.” – grundle
Old 04-15-15, 12:12 PM   #59
DVD Talk Legend

Decker: Have you looked into what your insurance rates will be? I'm curious if insurers are still considering Teslas to be "exotic" and therefore will cost an arm and a leg to repair in case of collision, like they used to do when the first wave of Hybrids hit the market.
Old 04-15-15, 12:34 PM   #60
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Decker: Have you looked into what your insurance rates will be? I'm curious if insurers are still considering Teslas to be "exotic" and therefore will cost an arm and a leg to repair in case of collision, like they used to do when the first wave of Hybrids hit the market.
My friend owns one and pays around $1000 a year for insurance. I thought it was kind of expensive for a 50 year old. He tells me there are no repair shops (I think there are but never looked into it) or aftermarket parts for replacement. Tesla actually tells customers not to put aftermarket parts such as wheels and tires on their cars. When it comes to collision repairs; the aluminum panels has to be OEM and patented parts which can only be purchased through Tesla. He lives down the street from the factory and money obviously isn't an issue for him. No problems so far.
Old 04-15-15, 01:19 PM   #61
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

$1000 / year?? That's half of what my mom pays for her 2015 Fusion in Michigan --- granted Michigan has horrible insurance rates.

Decker - nice car. The wife and I have toyed with getting one so I'm interested in your feedback.
Old 04-15-15, 01:25 PM   #62
DVD Talk Hero

Honestly I haven't checked insurance rates yet. The sales guy told us it would be comparable to other similarly-priced luxury sedans (actually I'm expecting it to be less than some due to all its active safety features like lane keeping and accident avoiding auto-braking). I can't imagine that they'd classify it as an Exotic any more than they would a standard Mercedes S-Class or BMW 7-series.

Rob, I'll be sure to give lots of feedback once I get mine in June.
I suppose I still have a week to back out if I get cold feet, but it's sort of set in stone after next Monday. So if anyone thinks the color is hideous or anything, let me know now!

Old 04-15-15, 01:38 PM   #63
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Honestly I haven't checked insurance rates yet. The sales guy told us it would be comparable to other similarly-priced luxury sedans (actually I'm expecting it to be less than some due to all its active safety features like lane keeping and accident avoiding auto-braking). I can't imagine that they'd classify it as an Exotic any more than they would a standard Mercedes S-Class or BMW 7-series.

Rob, I'll be sure to give lots of feedback once I get mine in June.
I suppose I still have a week to back out if I get cold feet, but it's sort of set in stone after next Monday. So if anyone thinks the color is hideous or anything, let me know now!
The P85 blows away both the M-Series and AMG variants and edging into supercar territory. The standard version comes close, too. They also have the same safety features; MBZ was selling the auto brake feature years ago. I'm sure the insurance companies know how good the Teslas performs and surely have considered it in it's rates.
Old 04-15-15, 05:05 PM   #64
DVD Talk Legend

Lucky bastard, Decker. Congrats.
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 04-15-15, 05:17 PM   #65
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very impressive, Decker. What is your final out-of-door, delivered cost? Under $100k, taxes, delivery, and all fees included? Isn't there a "luxury car" tax also added in Calif?

I think this new 70D model is a wonderful compromise, but how much does it actually save you over an 85 RWS, especially when you consider that you had to add leather and the other things?
Old 04-15-15, 05:46 PM   #66
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Very impressive, Decker. What is your final out-of-door, delivered cost? Under $100k, taxes, delivery, and all fees included? Isn't there a "luxury car" tax also added in Calif?

I think this new 70D model is a wonderful compromise, but how much does it actually save you over an 85 RWS, especially when you consider that you had to add leather and the other things?
Well I'd have to add leather anyways. The standard features are identical for all models now; the only differences are in the battery size, acceleration, range and single or dual motor (and I'd guess the single motor model will be the next to go).. The 70D starts at $75,000, the 85 RWD is $80,000 and the 85D is $85,000. Leather seats are $1750 for base leather, $2500 for "Next Gen" which apparently are much better or so the sales guy (who doesn't get any commission on the car I bought online) tells me. That Autopilot package is $2500 as well. Any color besides Black is another $1000 (Multicoat White or Red are $1500). Destination fees are around $1200. So that's like $82000 plus tax and registration in NV. I get a $7500 federal tax credit with next year's taxes though. And they estimate I'll save $10000 in gas over the next five years (which sounds conservative actually). Certainly not a bargain or a deal, but total expense is pretty comparable with another $60,000 luxury sedan that I'd be far less excited about.

Last edited by Decker; 04-15-15 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-15-15, 05:54 PM   #67
DVD Talk Hero

Oh yeah, I also have to add a 220 V outlet in my garage that I'm told will run me about $400-$500.

Old 04-15-15, 08:58 PM   #68
DVD Talk Legend

Hope you enjoy the new car Decker. Please give us some feedback, particularly on the autopilot package. I know a lot of the really cool stuff isn't implemented yet and is expected in an update later this year but can't recall the details. Do you know if you'll have your car before the update? Having a car get significant functional updates after purchase sounds amazing, but also a real chance of major headaches if it doesn't go smoothly.
Old 04-15-15, 09:38 PM   #69
DVD Talk Legend

The economy model is expected in 2017.
Old 04-15-15, 09:53 PM   #70
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen quite a few of these out here in the Phoenix suburbs.

I still want one. Have to make teh money first.
Old 04-15-15, 09:55 PM   #71
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
The economy model is expected in 2017.
To be a little cynical, the Model S was an "economy model" at first too. I think they started with a $45k price point way-back-when.

I love Tesla. Their factory fascinates me.
Old 04-15-15, 10:06 PM   #72
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
To be a little cynical, the Model S was an "economy model" at first too. I think they started with a $45k price point way-back-when.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can get the Model S for around that price, but it has a much shorter range. The extra cost is for the batteries that permit a 250-mile range per charge.
The economy model will have that long range for about 30 Grand.
Old 04-15-15, 10:17 PM   #73
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can get the Model S for around that price, but it has a much shorter range. The extra cost is for the batteries that permit a 250-mile range per charge.
The economy model will have that long range for about 30 Grand.
Here's how they framed it: It's $50k no $55k no $60k. And I think it ended at $60k for the base model. This year has a $57.5k entry level model.

There is a big difference between $45k and $57k. Two different classes. A lot of people around here drive around in $40k+ cars. If the Tesla was truly $45k, I bet it'd put a huge dent in BMW/Mercedes/Audi/Lexus/Etc sales. They would be EVERYWHERE. But when you're talking about $57k, you exclude a lot of people.

At $30k, everyone would buy one and we'd probably have to start worrying about electrical infrastructure.
Old 04-15-15, 10:25 PM   #74
DVD Talk Legend

Congrats on the order. I see a bunch of them in Austin. We have a showroom where you can go look but cannot buy or drive. I would be interested to see what the difference in your electric bill will be.
Old 04-15-15, 10:26 PM   #75
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, looking at their site, it's actually $75k. Their $57.5k # "includes tax incentive and gas savings". But that's hooey. It's a $75k car. $75k excludes most working-class-wealthy people.