Other Talk "Otterville"

Tesla and other Electric Cars Talk

Old 01-22-22, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 657 Likes on 459 Posts
Re: Tesla and other Electric Cars Talk

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
I know

Somehow Iíve avoided damage other than a couple of tiny scratches on the rim.
It has happened to me a couple of times also, when pulling close to a curb to park. I think the Model 3's tires are closer to flush with the car's exterior than on most cars. That's my empirical theory, for I have never had this curb-colliding problem with other cars.
Old 01-22-22, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 473 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
Over $47k now.According to a report by Kelley Blue Book, the new-vehicle average transaction price (ATP) reached $47,077 last December, marking an increase of 14% from 2020 and 1.7% compared to November 2021.

https://www.carsdirect.com/automotiv...-december-2021
That's quite ridiculous... it shows the widening gap between the middle class and the upper classess is really starting to affect everyday things. Or, it shows we're really fucked in the future, with an inflation rate that high... Probably both.

And, being that the "average" price of a car is now up to $47k in the "rich" USA, that just gives further credence to my contention that Tesla won't ever make a $25k EV because they simply don't have to, and there would be far, far less profit in it for them if they did (for US consumers). Being "mad" at Tesla has nothing to do with it. In fact, with car prices on the uncontrollable, rampant rise, it seems silly to be "mad" at anyone except the US government for printing too much money and the COVID situation causing the current shitty prediciment we find ourselves in now. We'll be seeing double-digit inflation soon, and it will undermine the middle class even further. The rich don't care about inflation, thay can "afford" it!
Old 01-22-22, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 182 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
That's quite ridiculous... it shows the widening gap between the middle class and the upper classess is really starting to affect everyday things. Or, it shows we're really fucked in the future, with an inflation rate that high... Probably both.

And, being that the "average" price of a car is now up to $47k in the "rich" USA, that just gives further credence to my contention that Tesla won't ever make a $25k EV because they simply don't have to, and there would be far, far less profit in it for them if they did (for US consumers). Being "mad" at Tesla has nothing to do with it. In fact, with car prices on the uncontrollable, rampant rise, it seems silly to be "mad" at anyone except the US government for printing too much money and the COVID situation causing the current shitty prediciment we find ourselves in now. We'll be seeing double-digit inflation soon, and it will undermine the middle class even further. The rich don't care about inflation, thay can "afford" it!
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Who u need to b mad at is consumers. We have had many, many cheap new cars. And no one would buy them. So they have all be discontinued.

If u want to blame low interest or whatever, that just a damn excuse. If u want to blame 5, 6 even 7 year loans, thatís just an excuse.

You canít excuse away the top three best selling vehicles in the US are full size trucks. The majority of which sell well above the average new vehicle price.
Old 01-22-22, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,908 Likes on 1,911 Posts

I will never understand why full sized pickup trucks are so popular. I think they're ugly, ride terribly, guzzle gas and rarely fit in most parking spaces. Yeah they can haul stuff and tow a lot but I bet that most people rarely use their truck for purposes thst couldn't be achieved with a smaller crossover vehicle. How often are you moving furniture really?
Old 01-22-22, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ Totally agree. I just can't understand the "pickup truck craze." Stupid, wasteful, and inefficient. People just like having a "my dick is bigger than yours" mentality, I guess. Crossovers do fulfill the "need of space" to transfer stuff better than trucks, anyway. And I hardly ever see people hauling stuff in their huge pickups. There's usually a single occupant in the truck, the bed is empty, and they're guzzling all of that gas. And many of my neighbors, for example, are so entitled that they have not one, but two or three huge pickups parked in their driveways (never in their garages, for they're full of their shit). Pickups really are a terrible first-world problem of senseless entitlement.
Old 01-22-22, 09:14 PM

I should probably add that no matter how ugly I think full size pickup trucks are, they're still way better looking than the Cybertruck.
The following users liked this post:
danwiz (01-23-22)
Old 01-22-22, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

That’s a pretty low bar considering the Cyber is uglier then sin.

I don’t agree with the comment that trucks ride terribly. My friend’s Honda full size is a very smooth ride and a smaller crossover would not be useful for him.

Old 01-23-22, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 77 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I should probably add that no matter how ugly I think full size pickup trucks are, they're still way better looking than the Cybertruck.
The F-150 and ilk are look uglier to me. The Cybertruck is Ö different. I love the lack of paint. That said, Iíd cringe at Cybertrucks occupying parking spaces and being driven by ďsoccerĒ moms & dads
Old 01-23-22, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The appeal of full size trucks is multiple. Sure just for show. Also marketing. Thanks to tariffs they face little competition (not that, that many non-legacy makers have trucks).

It’s a uniquely US market issue.

But, and I can’t stress this enough, manufactures are going to make what sells. And they sell. No one bought the Ford Focus. Even at full retail it was cheap, mostly reliable and had modern safety equipment. And no one bought them.

Now….I don’t want to put it 100% on the consumer. But is 95%. They dropped the Focus because so few sold and at such a cheap price there was little profit. Legacy makers are about immediate large profits. The Civic and Corolla (in their base versions) are still cheap and available. They don’t sell amazing, but are generally on top 25 sales list. Now I doubt many people buy them in their base versions. But technically available.

In 2021 the F150 sold something like 750,000 units. The Silverado and Ram each over 500,000. After that individual sales drop quickly. By number 10 on the top sales list your down to less than 300,000 units sold.

And btw, this isn’t a pickup “craze”. The F150 has been the best selling vehicle in the US for decades. It’s nothing new or trendy.

There is a lot of culture going on here. I was reading that we might finally get a “bullet train” in the US. And in all places, Texas. Between Dallas and Houston. A completely private effort. Point is, was reading why the US is so far behind on high speed trains. It’s a weird, odd, cultural, corporate greed, rabbit hole that has led people to cars, cars, cars. The bigger, the more expensive the better.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 01-23-22 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-23-22, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post
The F-150 and ilk are look uglier to me. The Cybertruck is Ö different. I love the lack of paint. That said, Iíd cringe at Cybertrucks occupying parking spaces and being driven by ďsoccerĒ moms & dads
I keep seeing rumors of a smaller CyberTruck. Like a mid-size version. That could be interesting.
Old 01-23-22, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
There is a lot of culture going on here. I was reading that we might finally get a ďbullet trainĒ in the US. And in all places, Texas. Between Dallas and Houston. A completely private effort. Point is, was reading why the US is so far behind on high speed trains. Itís a weird, odd, cultural, corporate greed, rabbit hole that has led people to cars, cars, cars. The bigger, the more expensive the better.
It all comes back to cheap gas. If gas were as expensive here as it is in Europe, maybe weíd have a much better commuter rail system.

I was at the Tesla dealership the other day and they had videos of the Cybertruck driving over the Brooklyn Bridge and on the streets of Manhattan. I canít stress this enough: it didnít even look real. This truck is so bizarre that it didnít look like this could really exist. Itís certainly unique and a lot of people are going to consider it an eyesore.

God until you mentioned it Ted, it never occurred to me about them parking next to me. Those big heavy stainless steel doors swinging open are like a battering ram into neighboring cars. No fear of scratches or dents for them, itís open season on the doors of the other vehicles unlucky enough to be next to them. 😬
Old 01-23-22, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
It all comes back to cheap gas. If gas were as expensive here as it is in Europe, maybe weíd have a much better commuter rail system.

I was at the Tesla dealership the other day and they had videos of the Cybertruck driving over the Brooklyn Bridge and on the streets of Manhattan. I canít stress this enough: it didnít even look real. This truck is so bizarre that it didnít look like this could really exist. Itís certainly unique and a lot of people are going to consider it an eyesore.

God until you mentioned it Ted, it never occurred to me about them parking next to me. Those big heavy stainless steel doors swinging open are like a battering ram into neighboring cars. No fear of scratches or dents for them, itís open season on the doors of the other vehicles unlucky enough to be next to them. 😬
Yes, cheap gas is a part of it. Agree.

But, we have short memories. During the oil shortages where people waited in line for gas there was brief up tick in cars with good gas mileage. But that faded quickly.

Having said that, regardless of cost, you could cut spending in half by not driving that truck. People donít do it.

Iíve mentioned before, my Wrangler gets worse MPG than a full sized truck. And a smaller tank. But I have no daily commute. Itís just a fun vehicle (that I donít even need). If tomorrow I had a daily commute Id drive something else. Iíd drive a commute vehicle.

As some mentioned, no one (few) consider usage when buying a vehicle. Only what they want. And thatís why this EV thing is going to be a tough sell. Even tho EV are better vehicles.
Old 01-23-22, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Speaking of marketing. I think Audi is just trolling 😂 They have a number of EVís ranging from $45,000 to $102,000+ and they decided to call them all ďe-TronsĒ. 🤣

I actually like the little Q4 (yes a version of the ID.4). And would prefer the RS GT over the Porsche.

But come on Audi. Get better names. 😝

(IIR Decker pointed this out before. I just didnít realize how many models there were).

https://www.audiusa.com/us/web/en.html
Old 01-23-22, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The appeal of full size trucks is multiple. Sure just for show. Also marketing. Thanks to tariffs they face little competition (not that, that many non-legacy makers have trucks).

Itís a uniquely US market issue.
And Canadian, to a lesser degree. When one of my German uncles visited a few years ago, he was dumbfounded by the sheer existence of pickup trucks (he has been here many times, but it was the first time he had raised the question with me). They're mostly a rural phenomenon, and I can understand why people in the hinterlands find them useful, not least because many dot-on-the-map places don't have garbage collection.
Old 01-23-22, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And btw, this isnít a pickup ďcrazeĒ. The F150 has been the best selling vehicle in the US for decades. Itís nothing new or trendy.

There is a lot of culture going on here. I was reading that we might finally get a ďbullet trainĒ in the US. And in all places, Texas. Between Dallas and Houston. A completely private effort. Point is, was reading why the US is so far behind on high speed trains. Itís a weird, odd, cultural, corporate greed, rabbit hole that has led people to cars, cars, cars. The bigger, the more expensive the better.
Picks-ups have increased greatly in Calif. over past 20+ years with the yuppies buying them. But, your point is taken, it's not really a "craze", but I think it's pretty crazy. And, yes the onus is on the "stupid" consumers for buying the damn things.

FWIW: The "bullet train" is nothing new either. In Calif, they've been talking about a "bullet" train for over 50 years. There was legislation back in the '70s and people voted it out... It's never gotten off the ground. The closest thing to it was the BART in San Fran back in the '60s, which was touted as being the "grand model" for all of Calif. People in TX love their cars just as much as people in CA. Distances are greater in TX, but suburbs are popping up and covering once vast distances with suburban sprawl, just as was done in Calif. from the 1940s - 80s. I don't think a "bullet" train is going to succeed in TX for the same reasons it hasn't gotten off the ground in Calif.
Old 01-23-22, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bullet trains have been around for decades in Japan and Europe, but they haven't managed to penetrate North America's auto-centric culture. At least, their expense hasn't been deemed justifiable.
Old 01-23-22, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 649 Likes on 505 Posts

I think the bullet trains not being able to break ground in CA is the same as why they will never finish the 710 fwy out here. It's the NIMBY's with money that can afford to lobby against having the system come through their neighborhoods. Now if it were to pass through poor neighborhoods then the NIMBY's would shut up and it would get built.

/rant
The following 2 users liked this post by Why So Blu?:
Norm de Plume (01-24-22), Ted Todorov (01-24-22)
Old 01-23-22, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I think the bullet trains not being able to break ground in CA is the same as why they will never finish the 710 fwy out here. It's the NIMBY's with money that can afford to lobby against having the system come through their neighborhoods. Now if it were to pass through poor neighborhoods then the NIMBY's would shut up and it would get built.

/rant
Ha.. can't really blame them, I wouldn't want the noise, people, or crowding either that having a bullet train in my neighborhood would entail. A possible solution? Go a more circuitous route through the deserts. Yes, the damn thing has to pass thru *somewhere* and the lobbyists have been busy with their poltics in stalling it for decades, for that very reason (wealthy people have lobbied it out of their 'special' neighborhoods).
Old 01-23-22, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 649 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Ha.. can't really blame them, I wouldn't want the noise, people, or crowding either that having a bullet train in my neighborhood would entail. A possible solution? Go a more circuitous route through the deserts. Yes, the damn thing has to pass thru *somewhere* and the lobbyists have been busy with their poltics in stalling it for decades, for that very reason (wealthy people have lobbied it out of their 'special' neighborhoods).
Well, the NIMBYs and ones with the money are the ones who complain that it takes them longer to get where they need to get by taking the slow route and ruining the road and causing congestion problems, etc. But when it comes to building through poor neighborhoods it's the whole "think about the future" and "progress" we're making.
Old 01-23-22, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We need high speed rail (bullet trains) as much as we need EVís. Arguably more so.

It might take private (see Texas and Florida) to happen.
Old 01-23-22, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 814 Likes on 548 Posts

Model Y delivered today. Its so beautiful... 😍😍😍 I low key dont want to take it out on the road. Its a replacement for my wife's car but...sheeeeyit PRECIOUS IS MIIIINE!!! 😂😡🤣

Guy dropped it off in our driveway, answered a couple questions, and left.
The following 6 users liked this post by Giantrobo:
Decker (01-23-22), Dvdlovr24 (01-24-22), nickdawgy (01-24-22), Norm de Plume (01-24-22), T-bone22 (01-23-22), Ted Todorov (01-24-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-23-22, 11:07 PM

What color? LR? 19 or 20" tires?
Old 01-24-22, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 77 Likes on 63 Posts

The US problem with high speed trains is two fold: yes, the NIMBY problem is huge. Here on the East Coast we have the fake TGV (Train ŗ Grande Vitesse) a.k.a. the very slow Acela, and that is no doubt pure NIMBYism in not rerunning a straighter, wider track to facilitate it, not to mention the new tunnels between NY & NJ which Chris Christy & the GOP torpedoed -- and with the old, clogged tunnels forget a TGV, it slows down the commuter train to a crawl. When I was in high school, you could take an Amtrak from Princeton Junction to NYC for 40 minutes, now Amtrak no longer stops in Princeton and the NJ Transit is usually 80 minutes for the same run. We are going backwards in train speed.

But the second and just as hard to solve problem, outside the Acela corridor (DC, NYC, Boston) even if the NIMBYs agreed to real TGVs, people wouldn't take them, because there is no good public transit at either end -- say going from Dallas to/from Houston -- they'd need to rent a car at either end -- why bother, might as well drive. In Europe TGVs exist everywhere because good public transportation works everywhere. The reason you'd take a TGV from/to Paris & Lyon or Paris & Marseille or ... is because you'd be taking the Metro to/from the train station and your final destination in those cities. Also if there are flights involved -- you can get on a TGV directly inside Paris' Charles De Gaulle Airpot go to Lyon, hop on the Metro there and exit at you stop and walk a short distance to your Air B&B or hotel.
Old 01-24-22, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Dallas to Houston train should be a hit. The idea is it’s just a touch to far to drive (4 hours assuming light traffic as you get into Houston but u can usually assume 4.5 hours), and to much a hassle now to fly. And using either airport in either city doesn’t put you real close to either downtown area.

If the train will make it in 90 min (as currently being stated) or even 2 hours (half the time of driving and that’s one wa) it should be a hit. Also it should be easier to fire up a laptop on a train then the cramp SWA flights that are so popular in Texas.

Assuming it’s downtown to downtown you can Lyft/Uber/Taxi and likely cheaper than getting a rental. Something you would almost always have to do if flying.

We don’t do local mass transit in Texas. But something like a high speed train to go Dallas, Houston and then likely Austin and up to Dallas, will be a hit. Assuming one huge thing. Cost. SWA is cheap within Texas. Pretty much ho they started. The train will need to under cut that since most of this is business travel being paid for by companies.
Old 01-24-22, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

The main reason high speed trains have never developed in the US is car ownership. Americans have had a love affair with their cars for well over a century. We have romanticized the ownership of cars; it has become part of psyche. It is a physical symbol of our independence. We can hit the road on our own terms without a care in the world.

It is no surprise that the percentage of the US population that owns a car is higher than any other country in the world at around 91% compared to Europe's 79%. To support our love affair, we have developed the infrastructure necessary for it to survive. The US is such a large country high speed rail between major population centers should have been a no brainer, but instead we developed a vast network of highways. Of course, lobbying from the auto industry spurred the development of the highway system, and the industry also worked hard destroy public transit when it could, case in point Los Angeles about a century ago.

We need to develop high speed rail, but it faces so much resistance it will be a take a long time.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.