Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Moore,OK (same place that got hit in 1999) hit by tornado

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Moore,OK (same place that got hit in 1999) hit by tornado

Old 05-22-13, 09:17 AM

Re: Moore,OK (same place that got hit in 1999) hit by tornado

Just another Moore resident checking in. We had just seen on TV last week that the probability of a tornado hitting the same area twice was once every thousand years. It was a difficult decision to make quickly but we decided to stay in our home as we weren't sure which direction it would turn. Fortunately, we had no damage on this side of town but feel terrible for those who were affected.
Old 05-22-13, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Talked to my sister who lives between Moore and Norman and amazingly she didn't even lose power through this
Old 05-22-13, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by seester View Post
Just another Moore resident checking in. We had just seen on TV last week that the probability of a tornado hitting the same area twice was once every thousand years. It was a difficult decision to make quickly but we decided to stay in our home as we weren't sure which direction it would turn. Fortunately, we had no damage on this side of town but feel terrible for those who were affected.
I hope people really weren't treating that 1-in-a-thousand talk as if tornadoes were sentient beings capable of avoiding an area just because they know it got hit less than 15 years ago.
Old 05-22-13, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
I'm doing well, thanks for asking.

I live off of 4th street between Bryant and Sunnylane in Moore in the Rock Creek addition. Listening at work in downtown OKC, they were saying that the tornado was headed straight to that location, but obviously I couldn't beat the tornado there to pick up the pets.

On the way home, the weathermen were saying that the neighborhood was destroyed so I was expecting our house to be reduced to rubble and our two dogs to be dead. I had to park about 2 miles away from home and ran most of the way to the house in my work suit. Fortunately, as I got close I could see that our house was likely still standing, and hopefully only merely damaged. When I finally got there, it was still standing and looks to be unharmed. Houses at the end of our street are pretty damaged, but it appears to have missed us by a few hundred yards.

My son was at my mother in laws about 1 1/2 miles southeast of us and he was fine because they have a shelter and the storm didn't get there. My wife was okay because she was at work in NW OKC. My dad lives behind the high school and his house is fine. Unfortunately, my wife's aunt lived by Plaza Towers elementary, so their house is gone. Luckily they are fine and their dog survived in the rubble.

Power's still out at the house, so we are at the in-laws but all-in-all we are very fortunate.
Awesome, glad everyone is okay!
Old 05-22-13, 12:17 PM

I didn't get to make it out last night to help but I'm going today. The wife and kids are going to buy water and Gatorade and take the wagon and go help people who are trying to dig through their stuff. I'm leaving from work and going to do the same.
Old 05-22-13, 01:35 PM
Banned

It's horrible what happened, but maybe people shouldn't live where the bad stuff keeps happening ? You have tornadoes where you live, don't live there. The place where you live is a city in a bowl surrounded by soup (New Orleans) and therefor under constant threat of flooding,....maybe move.
Old 05-22-13, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think we can all just move to Fort Knox...
Old 05-22-13, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow! What a nightmare week this has been....the pictures on TV just don't do it justice, you just can't imagine what it looks like. My neighborhood is on the east side of Moore and was barely missed, but other family members were not so lucky. I was walking back to my car on Monday evening after checking on my house and a gawker asked where Veteran's Park was at, I told him he was looking at it. It's all gone. My brother is the PIO for the Moore Police Dept...it was absolutely surreal seeing him on the Today Show this morning giving Matt Lauer a tour....

My whole family lives in Moore....both my cousin and my aunt's homes were destroyed. My cousin received a call from daycare to pick up her 3 year old son because of the storms since the daycare did not have a saferoom. She was passing her own house on the way to daycare when she saw the tornado over the daycare. She had to make a split second decision to stop at her house and get in her storm shelter. When she got out, she ran to the daycare down the street and it was gone. She was able to find her son at Children's ER and he is just fine, but my heart breaks when I think about the choice she had to make. Had she gone on, she would have been killed....her home was in the plaza towers addition and she had to pass briarwood elem to get to the daycare.

Even though folks criticize the district for keeping school in session, it was probably for the best, even in hindsight. After the 1999 and 2003 tornados, the building codes in Moore were updated and were made stricter, but the houses around Plaza Towers are small homes built in like the 70's....not a lot of them have shelters and they're just older, small houses. Had the kids been out of school, they probably would have been at home and that addition was just devastated. Literally, piles of sticks and bricks. Our mayor has already said he is going to request new codes requiring safe rooms or shelters in all new construction. We have the 3rd largest school district in the state...there are like 20,000+ kids, but I imagine they will find the $50 million or so to get safe rooms built for all the schools after this. Very sad...
Old 05-22-13, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
It's horrible what happened, but maybe people shouldn't live where the bad stuff keeps happening ? You have tornadoes where you live, don't live there. The place where you live is a city in a bowl surrounded by soup (New Orleans) and therefor under constant threat of flooding,....maybe move.
Yes. I don't mean to be too big a dick because what happened is tragic, but all this talk from the governor and everyone else about, "We will rebuild. We will not be deterred. Etc" seems crazy. Maybe you shouldn't rebuild. Maybe move somewhere else.

I travel a lot in Mexico and the poor there have a habit of building their shanty towns in gullies and ravines and every couple of years there will be a flash flood that wipes the whole shanty town away and kills dozens of people. And a few weeks later they start building the shanty town again. In Mexico it's due to ignorance and desperation. Is OK that ignorant and desperate?

I live in earthquake country. Earthquakes are unpredictable but we only have a large destructive earthquake once in a generation and the damage is really minimal. The midwest has tornado SEASONS for God's sake. You get tornados every single year. Maybe just don't develop towns there.
Old 05-22-13, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's a series of side-by-side ariel photos: http://www.aerialok.com/MooreTornado/

Glad everyone in your world is safe, JM!

I didn't realize there were so many of us from the area.
Old 05-22-13, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Yes. I don't mean to be too big a dick because what happened is tragic, but all this talk from the governor and everyone else about, "We will rebuild. We will not be deterred. Etc" seems crazy. Maybe you shouldn't rebuild. Maybe move somewhere else.

I travel a lot in Mexico and the poor there have a habit of building their shanty towns in gullies and ravines and every couple of years there will be a flash flood that wipes the whole shanty town away and kills dozens of people. And a few weeks later they start building the shanty town again. In Mexico it's due to ignorance and desperation. Is OK that ignorant and desperate?

I live in earthquake country. Earthquakes are unpredictable but we only have a large destructive earthquake once in a generation and the damage is really minimal. The midwest has tornado SEASONS for God's sake. You get tornados every single year. Maybe just don't develop towns there.
Don't develop the entire midwest? There are areas of Oklahoma that have never seen a tornado (at least since they have been developed). Are we also not going to develop the gulf or east coast? Hurricanes spin off tornados too during hurricane "season". There is about a thirty day period where tornados pop up....must are small and weak. Natural disasters happen everywhere, just gotta move forward.

Last edited by JMLEWIS1; 05-22-13 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-22-13, 02:26 PM

We get tornadoes every year, but the vast majority do not cause widespread destruction. You take a bigger gamble living in earthquake or hurricane country because all it takes is one big one and everyone gets screwed. Even with this tornado, houses and neighborhoods were completely unscathed.
Old 05-22-13, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by JMLEWIS1 View Post
There are areas of Oklahoma that have never seen a tornado .
I guess develop those places, not the places that get hit twice in 10 years.
Old 05-22-13, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sure, there are tornadoes a lot but not like this one. Many more people die where it's cold and hot too. Where exactly SHOULD we live? There aren't many places where Mother Nature can't take you out if she's so inclined.
Old 05-22-13, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm so glad that 48 hours later the thread has completely reset into the same inane argument.

Don't understand why people live here? Don't live here. Move on.

When I was in Boston a few weeks ago, I would have assumed car horns were sounds of nature. I prefer not living around people like that, but some people still put up with it. Idiots.
Old 05-22-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
I'm so glad that 48 hours later the thread has completely reset into the same inane argument.
Time to...

Old 05-22-13, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How large of an area feels the brunt of an earthquake? How large of an area feels the brunt of a hurricane?

Since the lion's share of tornadoes are weak, the average width of a tornado is only about 125 yards, or 375 feet, according to Dr. Forbes. The benchmark tornado width: a 2.5 mile-wide monster that tore through Hallam, Neb. on May 22, 2004. By the way, this mammoth wedge also had a path length of 52 miles.

Dr. Forbes says in the past 100 years, only about 1% of the U.S. land area has had a tornado track through.

Therefore, the odds of a tornado striking you or your home are small. A study by Schaefer et al. (1986) found that, even in "Tornado Alley", average return intervals are only as high as once every 2500 years. (source)
Return interval of once every 2500 years? Yeah, that certainly warrants completely removing civilization from the Great Plains.
Old 05-22-13, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by JMLEWIS1 View Post
Don't develop the entire midwest? There are areas of Oklahoma that have never seen a tornado (at least since they have been developed).
So, rebuild the town in those areas?
Old 05-22-13, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
So, rebuild the town in those areas?
Or rebuild it better, stronger, faster.
Old 05-22-13, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
How large of an area feels the brunt of an earthquake? How large of an area feels the brunt of a hurricane?
A question related to this. Does the typical homeowners insurance policy along the San Andreas cover earthquakes? Or do you have to get a special insurance for that (like coastal/river areas do for National Flood Insurance). I would assume that the typical homeowners policy in Tornado Alley covers tornado damage.
Old 05-22-13, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
We get tornadoes every year, but the vast majority do not cause widespread destruction. You take a bigger gamble living in earthquake or hurricane country because all it takes is one big one and everyone gets screwed. Even with this tornado, houses and neighborhoods were completely unscathed.
What I get from this is that dvdjunkie32 is from my state. Dammit.
Old 05-22-13, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As a side note, I think it's kind of weird that DVD Talk has so many members from a city I had never heard of until a few days ago.
Old 05-22-13, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Crazy video from a friend on facebook....the video is shot in front of southmoore high school, which is about a half mile south of briarwood elementary and a mile sw of plaza towers elementary

sorry, edited to add that it does contain some profanity
Old 05-22-13, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Memorial Ceremony to mark the 2nd Anniversary of the Joplin Tornado will begin at Cunningham Park shortly. The ceremony starts at 4:40 p.m. CT with a moment of silence to be observed at 5:41 p.m. CT.

Ongoing prayers for Moore....
Old 05-22-13, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Linky: Monetary donations cited as best help for Moore (Joplin Globe)

Volunteers for Moore are NOT being solicited right now. Right now, trained search and rescue personnel are needed, but additional volunteers could impede the rescue and security efforts. Approximately 5,000 trained responders are available in the Oklahoma City area who can provide immediate service. The National Guard also has been deployed there.

Please do not self-deploy there, hoping to help. They're not ready for you yet and will probably turn you back. "If you are interested in volunteering, we ask at the request of the local Emergency Management in Oklahoma that you not self-deploy. This can cause delays in the current efforts which are search, rescue and recovery.

What is recommended now is donations to the American Red Cross or the Salvation Army to provide shelter and meals for the displaced residents and emergency workers.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.