Reload this Page >

Your Favorite Clean Comedians...

Other Talk "Otterville"

Your Favorite Clean Comedians...

Old 05-18-13, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Your Favorite Clean Comedians...

Jim Gaffigan is my favorite. Jeff Foxworthy is pretty clean as well.
Old 05-18-13, 04:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Great thread topic, btw.
Thank you.

I could rant a treatise about why the lack of exposure of 'clean comedy' vs. the near-obligatory 'vulgar comedy'.
As could I.

Many of the most talented comics with the best timing & delivery CAN be ENORMOUSLY effective with squeaky-clean material that has universal appeal: Dave Chappelle, Eddie Murphy, Cedric, Sinbad, Carlin, etc. With Pryor, the language seemed to be a natural extension (need to hear some of his comedy albums performances) and inseparable. But the others seem to be able to get along just fine either way. So why go there at all?
I haven't ever seen Eddie or Dave be clean, and I don't think I've seen any of Cedric's routines at all. Carlin was much better when he wasn't cussing like crazy or demeaning everything religious; one of my favorites was the "airline safety lecture" speech.

It also seems that, the more famous a comedian becomes, the 'bluer' the material gets (Jeff Dunham, Larry the Cable Guy, etc.). BTW...and my mind is drawing a blank...the 'you might be a redneck guy...Jeff what's-his-name...is usually pretty clean.
I started watching Jeff Dunham in the very early '90s, when he did Showtime's "A Pair of Jokers" with Rondell Sheridan. Language has always been part of his act, but its gotten much worse since "Arguing With Myself". I do like some of his stuff with Achmed, though.

And, of course, the old master Cosby (who has expressed some pretty harsh criticism in the past toward the laziness of those who rely on vulgar, crude humor) is normally a safe bet. He rarely goes beyond 'slightly risque'...the kind that you could watch with Grandma without anyone blushing.
Yeah, like the old "cocaine intensity" joke from the "Himself" routine.
Old 05-18-13, 01:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some comedians are vulgar because their jokes aren't good enough to stand on their own two feet without the vulgarity. Those are not good comedians, and I don't want to watch them, not because of the vulgarity, because who gives a shit, but because they're not funny.

Other comedians use vulgarity as a form of expression, part of their bag of tricks as a comedian. These comedians are talented enough that their material stands on its own, but the vulgarity can add an extra layer of emphasis, drawing your attention to certain parts of the bit. There I have no problem with vulgarity, because like everything else they do, it's being used for a purpose, and it works.

My all time favorite stand up comedian is Stewart Lee, who makes very deliberate word choices in all of his routines. The few times he does use any kind of profanity, it's amazingly effective, because he's using it for a very specific purpose. But then, any words he uses are for a very specific purpose. He does an hour long show that culminates with him puking into the gaping anus of Christ that is one of the funniest things I have ever experienced.
Old 05-18-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Now you're just trolling him.
Old 05-18-13, 01:20 PM
Banned by request

I'm not kidding. Check out '90s Comedian by Stewart Lee. It can be hard to find because he's practically ignored in the states. I'd post a clip but his shows are meant to be seen from beginning to end, clips out of context don't have the same impact.
Old 05-18-13, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

The "cleanest" ones:

Abbott & Costello
Adam Ferrara
Adam Sandler
Aziz Ansari
Bill Cosby
Bob Newhart
Brian Regan
Comedian Bob Marley
Craig Ferguson
Dane Cook
Denis Leary
Gabriel Iglesias
George Carlin
George Lopez
Greg Giraldo
Jim Gaffigan
Joe Rogan
John Pinette
Jon Stewart
Lewis Black
Louis C.K.
Nick Di Paolo
Norm MacDonald
Patton Oswalt
Ralphie May
Richard Pryor
Robin Williams
Ron White
Roy D. Mercer
The Touch-Tone Terrorists
Old 05-19-13, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dimitri Martin.
Old 05-19-13, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
He does an hour long show that culminates with him puking into the gaping anus of Christ that is one of the funniest things I have ever experienced.
Sounds...hilarious...
Old 05-19-13, 06:15 AM
Banned by request

It's funnier than Dimitri Martin, I can tell you that.

But as I said, Stewart Lee's shows need to be seen from beginning to end. Clips don't work for his type of stand-up.
Old 05-19-13, 08:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. Music View Post
The "cleanest" ones:

Adam Sandler
Craig Ferguson
Denis Leary
George Carlin
George Lopez
John Pinette
Jon Stewart
Lewis Black
Louis C.K.
Norm MacDonald
Patton Oswalt
Ralphie May
Richard Pryor
Robin Williams
Ron White
I hope you're being sarcastic, because all of these guys are nowhere near clean.
Old 05-19-13, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

George Carlin did both clean comedy and risque "blue comedy" and seemed to use one or the other depending on what type of audience he had. It's probably due to when he first started in the early '60s, clean comedy was the norm. By the '70s, blue comedy was getting more popular so he added it to his act, but he always seemed to have some clean comedy bits ready for when he was on The Tonight Show (or something like that) for the rest of his career.

I was able to see Carlin live once back in the late '80s, but he apparently judged the audience to be a "clean" crowd, so he (disappointingly to me) used only his clean material for the show.
Old 05-19-13, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill Cosby has always been a favorite. Got to meet him back in 94 when I had my limousine service and he came to town. Got to drive him to his gig.

Jim Gaffigan - love his goofy stuff. Ran in to him at the airport in Atlanta a few years ago. Got to tell him how much the family loves his stuff

Steven Wright - OMG. That deadpan humor. " I was at the border, they asked if I had any guns? I said; "what do you need?" The wife and i saw his show here in Rochester probably 20 years ago.

As many have said. I'm not averse to risque' humor or swearing, but too many rely on that instead of actually being funny or writing funny material. But I guess that's what the market desires. We were in Vegas a few years ago at the Imrov Club, when asked for suggestions everyone started yelling out the bodily function humor options.
Old 05-19-13, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 524 Likes on 247 Posts

Jasper Carrott.
Old 05-19-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uldt6Y-CE3s

No one spoke about the importance of clean hygiene as much as Redd Foxx.
Old 05-19-13, 04:02 PM
Banned

Moviefan2k4.
Old 05-19-13, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley View Post
Moviefan2k4.
Old 05-19-13, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Music View Post
The "cleanest" ones:

Dane Cook
This is supposed to be a thread about good clean comedians
Old 05-19-13, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As kids, my brother and I shared a room. We used to go to sleep every night with my parents' Bill Cosby comedy records. Grew up on that stuff. Thought it was (and still do) very funny, especially for "clean". (He's got the occasional moment, but you're not going to find much squeakier out there.)
Old 05-19-13, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
This is supposed to be a thread about good clean comedians
Indeed!
Old 05-19-13, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don Rickles?
Old 05-20-13, 01:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
Thank you.

I haven't ever seen Eddie or Dave be clean, and I don't think I've seen any of Cedric's routines at all. Carlin was much better when he wasn't cussing like crazy or demeaning everything religious; one of my favorites was the "airline safety lecture" speech.
Didn't mean that they did a totally 'clean' show...just that they could do some bits that were hilarious before throwing in the usual profanity/vulgarity. What I was trying to say is that these guys (as well as most really talented comics) CAN be both clean AND funny, so it's obvious that they made the choice to go with with the harder-edged (or, in the case of Murray, just plain nasty) stuff to appeal to a different audience.

I've actually seen Cedric do the same routine in a relatively 'clean' version and then do the same routine with the standard dirt in another venue. Showed that it wasn't necessary for the material; it was just meeting audience expectations.
Old 05-20-13, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon2 View Post
Don Rickles?

I heard a story by Bob Newhart. Bob and Don are great friends. They met because their wives met, though they had heard of each other before. So Bob's wife tells Bob about this lady she met and what a wonderful husband she had. They meet, and Don's wife invites them to the show that night. Bob knows Don's brand of comedy, so he is not sure about his wife enjoying it. They accept, and Bob warns his wife that Don is pretty "blue." His wife can't believe it. Don was the nicest, most respectful person she could imagine.

They get to the show and during the beginning Don let's the audience know that Bob Newhart is down in the front, and they had met earlier. Then Don say something to Bob like, "And where did you find this whore?" looking at Bob's wife.
Old 05-20-13, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post

I heard a story by Bob Newhart. Bob and Don are great friends. They met because their wives met, though they had heard of each other before. So Bob's wife tells Bob about this lady she met and what a wonderful husband she had. They meet, and Don's wife invites them to the show that night. Bob knows Don's brand of comedy, so he is not sure about his wife enjoying it. They accept, and Bob warns his wife that Don is pretty "blue." His wife can't believe it. Don was the nicest, most respectful person she could imagine.

They get to the show and during the beginning Don let's the audience know that Bob Newhart is down in the front, and they had met earlier. Then Don say something to Bob like, "And where did you find this whore?" looking at Bob's wife.
Have you seen Mr. Warmth: The Don Rickles Project? great documentary. Filled with stories like that.
Old 05-20-13, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Shame that a lot of ppl haven't heard Anthony Griffith's comedy. 100% clean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vmxrkc1tek
Old 05-21-13, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There were some notoriously dirty comics back in the day. Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor didn't invent the F-word comedy. Buddy Hackett and Redd Foxx were known for their blue material. George Carlin would interlace some colorful language when I saw him but stayed away from explicit sex or bodily function talk. I don't mind a little risqué stuff but really am not entertained by hearing about how people take a dump.

We saw Rita Rudner in Vegas. Very clean and very entertaining. She would ask people's names and remember them, and refer back to them throughout the show. That alone was fun.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.