Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Why isn't New Orleans Mother's Day parade shooting a 'national tragedy'?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 05-16-13, 12:30 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On 3 September 2005 less than a week after Hurricane Katrina devastated the Gulf Coast I began to understand that America cared little about what was happening in New Orleans.

I was an undergraduate at Davidson College in North Carolina at the time, worried out of my mind because my family in Mississippi was still without electricity and friends and family in New Orleans and the Mississippi Gulf Coast were still missing. The images of families stranded on rooftops were trickling in via news outlets, but it was obvious that the response from the government would be slow.

But it really hit me on 3 September. I was driving around and noticed all the American flags at half-mast. Because Supreme court chief justice William Rehnquist died.

At the time, the Gulf Coast death toll was rumored to be in the thousands with nobody knowing for sure. But flags stayed at full mast until a chief justice died. To me, this was a slap in the face to what was going on in New Orleans and a sign that the city just didn't matter to the overall fabric of the country.

Year after year, I watched the anniversary for Katrina pass while people gathered around flagpoles two weeks later to mourn the deaths from 9/11. Both were horrible tragedies, but only one seemed to say in the nation's consciousness.

Years after Katrina, I lived in Evanston, Illinois and learned about the warm weather massacres in Chicago that happen every spring break or beginning of summer where dozens of high school kids get shot within matters of hours. And how nobody seemed to care. Living in New Orleans and near Chicago has left me jaded to what America prioritizes or chooses to ignore.

So I shouldn't be surprised that the Mother's Day Parade shooting has largely been forgotten. On Sunday, shots were fired into a crowd during a parade in the New Orleans 7th ward. Police said they saw three suspects running from the scene.

This is the largest mass shooting in the United States where the shooters were still at large after the crime was committed. Think about that for a minute. From Columbine to Virginia Tech to Fort Hill to Aurora, all the shooters were either killed or apprehended on site. But the person or people responsible for shooting 19 Americans are still free.

So why am I allowed to go outside? Where's the city quarantine or FBI and Homeland Security presence for this act of "terrorism"?

Because this is an act of domestic terrorism right? Just because the alleged shooter was wearing a white tee and jeans does that suddenly make the shooting a gang-related affair? And we all know how irrelevant gang-related shootings are in America. The Mother's Day shooting is so irrelevant that politicians haven't even bothered to mention it to further their anti-gun agendas. If the shootings aren't even important enough for politicians to spin, then it's truly reached a black hole of irrelevance.

Did I mention the shooter is still on the loose? I have? Just checking. Police have released photos and video of one of the suspects, but he is still at large.

Now take a moment and imagine a Mother's Day Parade in the suburbs of Denver, a neighborhood in Edina or a plaza in Austin where bullets rain down on civilians and even hit children. I can't help but imagine the around-the-clock news coverage. And I can't help but think it's because most of America can identify with the fear of being bombarded with gunfire while just enjoying a parade in the middle of town. But America can't identify with being at a parade in the "inner city" where "gang violence" erupts. The "oh my God, that could happen to me" factor isn't present with a story about New Orleans or the Chicago southside.

But no matter where the incident occurred, the victims are still there. Victims like 10-year-old Ka'Nard Allen whose father was stabbed to death in October. Whose five-year-old cousin was shot to death at Ka'Nard's birthday party last May (Ka'Nard was also shot in the neck that day). He was also grazed with a bullet in his cheek at the Mother's Day parade. No matter what part of the country Ka'Nard is from, his story should linger in your heart.

But it hasn't because you haven't heard of him, and you've barely heard anything about what should be considered a national tragedy.

Unforunately, though, I've learned to redefine what constitutes an American tragedy. American tragedies occur where middle America frequents every day: airplanes, business offices, marathons. Where there persists a tangible fear that this could happen to any of us. And rightfully so. Deaths and mayhem anywhere are tragic. That should always be the case. The story here is where American tragedies don't occur.

American tragedies don't occur on the southside of Chicago or the New Orleans 9th Ward. They don't occur where inner city high school kids shoot into school buses or someone shoots at a 10-year old's birthday party in New Orleans. Or Gary, Indiana. Or Compton. Or Newport News. These are where the forgotten tragedies happen and the cities are left to persevere on their own.

So, once again, New Orleans will survive. And move on. Because, really, we've been here before.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-national-news
Old 05-16-13, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Why isn't New Orleans Mother's Day parade shooting a 'national tragedy'?

What's this "New Orleans" you speak of?
Old 05-16-13, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I think it's pretty obvious that, like W before him, Obama doesn't care about black people.
Old 05-16-13, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 449 Likes on 362 Posts

It's always been like this.
Old 05-16-13, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 358 Likes on 263 Posts

We're still in mourning over Boston.
Old 05-16-13, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Serious answer - I believe people, at least in Chicago, have largely become desensitized to it. How can you not? Oh another shooting on the south or west side? That's tragically not news anymore unless it involves some piece of crap using a baby as a shield or something. I assume it's the same for NOLA. Sure they could lead off every local news broadcast with it, but then people would just turn off the news.

Someone shoots someone on Michigan Avenue - that's big news because that rarely happens there.
Old 05-16-13, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm tragedied out for awhile.
Old 05-16-13, 01:00 PM
RIP

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

It's not a very sexy story.
Old 05-16-13, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 180 Likes on 146 Posts

Because people only care about the restaurants and bars in the Fr. Qtr. As long as those are running, all is well.
Old 05-16-13, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did anyone even die?
Old 05-16-13, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 886 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
I think it's pretty obvious that, like W before him, Obama doesn't care about black people.
I would ask why Kanye isn't down there saving the day but that mutherfucker is busy dealing with a tragedy of his own.
Old 05-16-13, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What Dat?
Old 05-16-13, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by clappj View Post
What Dat?
He bumped his head on a sign trying to evade paparazzi. Don't you watch the news!!
Old 05-16-13, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 886 Likes on 615 Posts

I was refering to the Kardashian katastrophe. That dude is stuck dealing with those dipshits for the rest of his life.
Old 05-16-13, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't think anyone was killed either.
Old 05-16-13, 01:50 PM
RIP

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I was refering to the Kardashian katastrophe. That dude is stuck dealing with those dipshits for the rest of his life.
Which catastrophe? You mean, just the fact that he emptied his balls in that big-titted moron and now is stuck dealing with her forever?
Old 05-16-13, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I heard about the shooting in New Orleans I didn't even think about gang violence. I thought it was probably Mardi Gras and a bunch of people got drunk & started a fight, which brought out the guns.

Maybe their was a whole "Hard Target" situation going on and they were hunting someone who ran into the crowd.
Old 05-16-13, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Black people were involved. No cute white girls to grab the nations attention.
Old 05-16-13, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Non-famous Black people were involved. No cute white girls to grab the nations attention.
Fixed. We all cried for Aaliyah.
Old 05-16-13, 02:23 PM
RIP

Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
Fixed. We all cried for Aaliyah.
Sorrow. Empathy.
Old 05-16-13, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Black people were involved. No cute white girls to grab the nations attention.
Old 05-16-13, 02:42 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

From the article:
The Mother's Day shooting is so irrelevant that politicians haven't even bothered to mention it to further their anti-gun agendas. If the shootings aren't even important enough for politicians to spin, then it's truly reached a black hole of irrelevance.
That's the part that blows my mind. Shooting up a MOTHER'S DAY parade is pretty high on the heinous acts scale. You'd think they'd be beating their "ban assualt weapons" drum.
Old 05-16-13, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
From the article:That's the part that blows my mind. Shooting up a MOTHER'S DAY parade is pretty high on the heinous acts scale. You'd think they'd be beating their "ban assualt weapons" drum.
The key word is right in your quote. Right in front of the word hole.
Old 05-16-13, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
You'd think they'd be beating their "ban assualt weapons" drum.
Especially since of the 19 wounded, 2 were 10 years old.
Old 05-16-13, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't even hear of this 'til you posted it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.