Reload this Page >

Moving to Sequoia National Park, California - What to do Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 05-07-13, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So as my Park Ranger career is now in full stride I move on to my next park! For those curious, each park is like its own business. If you want to go to a different park, you have to apply and hope to get hired. So after finishing a stint at Scottys Castle, Death Valley, I have applied and got hired for Sequoia NP. Ive given up the desert for trees, rivers, and snowy peaks. I am super excited! Though I would have loved to gone to another state, Cali and I have unfinished business!

If anyone saw my previous thread you can see I did alot, but now Ill be closer to central Cali and looking for recommendations on things to do. Though Ill be living in the park, the closest town to me is called Three Rivers and than Visalia 45 mins away. Anyone have any suggestions on things to do, sights to see, bars to go to, food to eat, etc etc. I was pretty isolated in Death Valley. I had to drive an hr just to buy groceries in a podunk town called Pahrump, so Im looking forward to being near civilization!
Old 05-07-13, 11:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Moving to Sequoia National Park, California - What to do Thread

That's really cool, congrats! If I take a road trip up there will you give me a park tour?
Old 05-07-13, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

I've camped at Sequoia National Park. Very beautiful.
Old 05-08-13, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was a short stint at Death Valley. How hot did it get while you were there?

The Sequoia/Kings Canyon area is my second favorite place on earth. The interior wilderness areas (Evolution Valley, Bighorn Plateau, etc.) are gorgeous. The Rae Lakes Loop is a great 5-7 day trip. Mount Whitney is obviously a must-see too (you can wave down at Death Valley from its summit).

I'm not familiar with the outlying town life, except for Fresno, which is a festering armpit. Not a whole lot going on in the Central Valley, but everyone knows that. A lot of the smaller Sierra communities in the foothills seem weird about strangers. The Parks are very popular in the summer and you should be a very busy man. Congrats!
Old 05-08-13, 12:17 AM
X
Administrator

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You sure didn't get very far, just the other side of the Sierra. I don't know, equidistant from Fresno and Bakersfield might make Death Valley and Pahrump look pretty good.
Old 05-08-13, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravenous View Post
I had to drive an hr just to buy groceries in a podunk town called Pahrump, so Im looking forward to being near civilization!
One of my best friends lives in Pahrump. Been there quite a few times. Not much to do there. But that was his reason for moving there. And it's not too far from Vegas.

You could probably go hiking in Sequoia for the next five years. You know, make friends with trees and shit. Sit up against a Sequoia and ponder the origins of the universe. That's what I would do, anyways. I've considered moving to the wilderness. I lived like that when I was little (parents ran a campground).
Old 05-08-13, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 138 Likes on 101 Posts

You can tell tourists how the Karl Marx tree was renamed by the capitalist overlords to celebrate a war criminal.
Old 05-08-13, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No good cities or attractions around Fresno, but Sequoia itself is awesome.
Old 05-08-13, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 194 Likes on 143 Posts

If you want to go to a different park, you have to apply and hope to get hired.
So what you're saying is that if you want a new job you have to apply and get hired? Well, I never!

Joking aside, sounds like a pretty cool gig. Congrats!
Old 05-08-13, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And here we all thought park rangers just wandered from park to park, working wherever they felt like it.
Old 05-08-13, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OT but Pahrump is the home of Art Bell
Old 05-08-13, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 144 Likes on 112 Posts

Bad news for you Ravenous Three Rivers is SMALLER than Pahrump. I think there's like two motels and a grocery store.

You should hike from Death Valley to Sequoia. You go up Mt. Whitney, down the back side, and then I think it's about 15-20 miles across the Sierras to Sequoia. I've always wanted to do that hike.

Sequoia is beautiful. It's kind of Yosemite's little brother. Many of the same things to see and do but not on nearly as dramatic a scale. Still very beautiful though. They have a tree with a tunnel you can drive through. That's awesome. About 8 years ago I did the hike to their high sierra camp called Bear Paw. That was fun and luxurious.

While the western side of the Sierras is flatter, less hostile, and more populated there's actually a lot LESS to do there than there is on the eastern side which is filled with so much splendor, beautiful desolation, and history. The western side is just agriculture and dusty towns, high unemployment, nothing much in the way of entertainment, and very little history.
Old 05-08-13, 01:19 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
And here we all thought park rangers just wandered from park to park, working wherever they felt like it.
They're like Jedi that way.
Old 05-08-13, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What type of qualifications do you really need to be a park ranger with the NPS (not the minimum posted on USAjobs.gov)? I applied to a couple dozen positions this year hoping to get out to one of these areas for 4-6 months. I'm an avid outdoorsman, Eagle Scout, Wilderness First Aid certification, etc. I'd much rather get one of the backcountry patrols than interpretive positions, but whatever. I saw the online interpretive ranger courses you can take for ~$100 or so. Will those help at all? I've got to imagine they get tons of people like me every year that's basically, "tired of my office job, love being outdoors, want to help people, etc". How did you stand out?
Old 05-08-13, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 138 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
What type of qualifications do you really need to be a park ranger with the NPS (not the minimum posted on USAjobs.gov)? I applied to a couple dozen positions this year hoping to get out to one of these areas for 4-6 months. I'm an avid outdoorsman, Eagle Scout, Wilderness First Aid certification, etc. I'd much rather get one of the backcountry patrols than interpretive positions, but whatever. I saw the online interpretive ranger courses you can take for ~$100 or so. Will those help at all? I've got to imagine they get tons of people like me every year that's basically, "tired of my office job, love being outdoors, want to help people, etc". How did you stand out?
Maybe you can volunteer for search and rescue crews?
Old 05-08-13, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
That's really cool, congrats! If I take a road trip up there will you give me a park tour?
I love Sequoia. We should have a gathering there. "Otters in the park"
Old 05-08-13, 09:40 PM
Banned by request

Sounds pretty gay.

Count me in!
Old 05-08-13, 09:42 PM

Supermallet, I can give ya a tour but it would be on one of my off days if we do a hike. Cant do it while working cuz ill be working and doing patrols, etc.

Res, Death Valley got about 105 at the hottest, the next week it was cool again. I left right before it started hitting the teens. Yea I wasnt there very long. I do 6 month stints. Keep traveling, see more! I did Telescope Peak (11,331 elev) Where you can stand on the top and see the highest point (Whitney) and the lowest (Badwater) in the US at the same time! Very epic.

Troy, Ive heard Fresno sucks ass, and Three Rivers in basically a "ski resort" town. So Visalia will be the closest town. But its alot better cuz Pahrump NV (just an hr from Vegas!) didnt have a theater, mall, nothing. And I had to drive an hr to get there! To nothing :/ But Ill be hugging them trees for sure. And what the hell is Art Bell?

Corvin, I just wanted to clarify since the NPS was started by the military I always get alot of people asking me if the NPS moves us around by choice or how that all works

Mabuse, Ive heard of that hike and theres no way I wanna do that. I love hiking and camping but for days on end? Nahhh lol. But from what Ive heard about the Bear Paw hike, it is bad ass! Glad you got a chance to do it. I hope to as well. Apparently theres a music festival in Yosemite in the summer and my buddies want to take the trail from Sequoia to there. Sounds amazing. But thats heartbreaking on the nothingness on boring-ness of the west Sierras. Ive been all along the east, from Mammoth, Mono Lake, Big Pine, all that stuff. LOVE the little towns and atmosphere. Sucks the west whont have that

John, the best I can say is experience, experience, experience. You gotta work hard and volunteer. I had experience already with a state park and I still heard NOTHING when I applied. Volunteering is how I started (theres even a thread I did here asking for advice and a special person here gave me the idea to volunteer). I know a PHD in death valley. Working for the concessionaires (the peeps not NPS related selling hotels and food within the park). He works a shitty $9 per hr job and volunteers on his off days because he wants to be a park ranger so bad. I know another girl doing the same shit. Shes a volunteer and works harder than alot of the actual park rangers. So its tough. And you guys heard of the Sequestration? Thats not making anything any easier
Old 05-08-13, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Maybe you can volunteer for search and rescue crews?
I'd love to do SAR, but once again, how do you get "in"? Positions like these seem to always want people who have this type of experience, so where do you get the training, unless you got it in the military?
Old 05-08-13, 11:00 PM

So given that Ive never been to Sequoia , I got in contact with my future house mate. Sure we live in the park and get a house so I asked how it was. He just told me the living room in our place has a window with a view of Kaweah River and Moro Rock. I dont know what these things are so if anyone here has seen them, i hope they kick ass
Old 05-08-13, 11:04 PM
X
Administrator

Old 05-08-13, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

I've been to Moro Rock. It's a big huge rock in the middle of the park. There's stairs that lead to the top so you can easily get up there to enjoy the views. Like the rest of the park.. it's awesome.
Old 05-08-13, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

So given that Ive never been to Sequoia ...
You won't believe how tall they are. It's pretty amazing.
Old 05-09-13, 03:34 PM

I saw this great picture in a national geographic of the Sequoias.

Cool story, a BUNCH of professors from San Jose uni go to death valley for spring break and camp out and party. I hung out with them a few times (they even brought some of their cute and not so cute students with em) and we talked about parks and wildlife. Professors knew their stuff on astronomy, others history, others reptiles, it was cool! most have been doing this annual treck to Death Valley for 20+ yrs. I told one about Sequoia and he ran to his truck and pulled out a framed natgeo poster of all these loggers on a huge old Sequoia. It was astonishing. I cant believe im gonna be there.

And thats a sick pic with a hell of a view. Wow
Old 05-09-13, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And what the hell is Art Bell?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.