Moving to Sequoia National Park, California - What to do Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

Moving to Sequoia National Park, California - What to do Thread

Old 05-09-13, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 138 Likes on 101 Posts
Re: Moving to Sequoia National Park, California - What to do Thread

Originally Posted by crazyronin View Post
It sounds like the OP is not a 40-60 year old white man who believes the government is covering up the REAL story.
Old 06-30-13, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll bump this anyway...
Ravenous, I though you were still in death valley and was wondering about the heat. Do you have any reports from Death Valley about the heat? how do the park folks deal with it?
Old 06-30-13, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oddly enough it looks like a heat wave is hitting all Cali. Im sitting at 113 degree high here in Sequoia. Death Valley should hit 130 theyre saying. 135 is the record back in, oddly enough, 1913!

The Park employees deal with it by not going outside and reducing the programs offered outdoors.
Old 06-30-13, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Get together with some Star Wars cosplayers & recreate the Endor scenes.
Old 06-30-13, 02:12 PM

I might as well update as well!

Im loving Sequoia. Three Rivers is fun and I live by a string of bars and restaurants that I can walk to. I spend weekends in King Canyon with a friend and stay at her cabin. Go into Fresno once in awhile and its a shit hole. Visalia is nice, all they need is a Barnes and Noble.

The park is amazing. I see bears all the time hiking as well as Marmots and other critters. The trails are great here and damn this park is huge! Ive worked with the Bear Techs and tracked bears, Wilderness crews and the law enforcements. Weve had 3 deaths so far and 2 suicide attempts. Including some dumb bastard who drove off a cliff fell 300 feet and lived. Hes damn lucky he didnt land on the cars below. Theres always something going on here. Its wild. Love my life!
Old 06-30-13, 10:12 PM

Morbid curiosity, but how did those people try to commit suicide in the park?
Old 07-01-13, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 194 Likes on 143 Posts

I'm going to guess one tried to drive off a cliff.
Old 07-01-13, 08:45 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

That picture of Moro Rock reminds me of Half Dome in Yosemite. I love national parks (Zion being my current favorite). Might have to check out Sequoia sometime.
Old 07-01-13, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 144 Likes on 112 Posts

Ravenous,

I'm glad you're enjoying the park. I'm thinking of taking a trip in late July. I hope you could give me bit of advice please.

On previous trips I've only been to Sequoia; this time I'd like to check out King's Canyon. I'm typically a backpacker and prefer to be remote but I'm bringing my five year old so I've been looking at the established campsites. Cedar Grove and the Canyon itself look to be the same elevation as Yosemite Valley. Am I right to assume that it would therefore be hot as hell there in July? I'm thinking we'd be better off at a higher altitude campground near Grant Grove. I noticed a campground called Big Meadows which is actually in the Sequoia National Forest. Looks remote, maybe 7,000 feet. Would it be hot and dry? Can you give any advice? Maybe everything's hot and dry right now, I don't know?

If I came up on a Sunday (it would be July 28th) would I stand a chance of getting a site at any of the more popular campgrounds, like Hume Lake or Azalea? Are those campgrounds densly populated like the campgrounds in Yosemite Valley?

And out of curiosity have you been out to Mineral King? And if so did you have to take measures to protect your car? I've heard they have some marmoset or something that will eat your car's hoses and brake lines and wiring. Is it really as bad as they say?

Last edited by Mabuse; 07-01-13 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-01-13, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Also make sure you keep an eye out for pic-a-nic basket thefts.
Old 07-02-13, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Ravenous,

I'm glad you're enjoying the park. I'm thinking of taking a trip in late July. I hope you could give me bit of advice please.

On previous trips I've only been to Sequoia; this time I'd like to check out King's Canyon. I'm typically a backpacker and prefer to be remote but I'm bringing my five year old so I've been looking at the established campsites. Cedar Grove and the Canyon itself look to be the same elevation as Yosemite Valley. Am I right to assume that it would therefore be hot as hell there in July? I'm thinking we'd be better off at a higher altitude campground near Grant Grove. I noticed a campground called Big Meadows which is actually in the Sequoia National Forest. Looks remote, maybe 7,000 feet. Would it be hot and dry? Can you give any advice? Maybe everything's hot and dry right now, I don't know?

If I came up on a Sunday (it would be July 28th) would I stand a chance of getting a site at any of the more popular campgrounds, like Hume Lake or Azalea? Are those campgrounds densly populated like the campgrounds in Yosemite Valley?

And out of curiosity have you been out to Mineral King? And if so did you have to take measures to protect your car? I've heard they have some marmoset or something that will eat your car's hoses and brake lines and wiring. Is it really as bad as they say?
My two cents as a longtime backpacker/camper in the Sierra: Your only real option with a 5-year-old is to camp in one of the established campgrounds. The backcountry is gorgeous in both Parks but requires more hiking to access than a 5-year-old will want to do. The only campgrounds in Kings Canyon proper are around the Cedar Grove Visitor's Center, which is a bit of a drive down into the canyon and back. I find these campgrounds to be dry and hot and all of the good sites near water will have been taken early by advance reservation. The river is likely to be running low given the dry winter. The campgrounds are noisy, not unlike Yosemite Valley, since they pack a lot of sites into each campground. The store/cafe is pretty basic but convenient. They are not my favorite campgrounds but if you are showing up without advance reservations they are the most likely to have spots since they are so remote from the rest of the Parks.

I have never camped at Hume Lake or Big Meadows but they both look more crowded/popular than the Cedar Grove area. Since they are located in the National Forest it is a bit easier to find open spots at the last minute. In fact, when everything is full in the Parks, the Park rangers will direct you to just find some spot in the adjacent National Forest areas provided your vehicle is out of sight of the road and you agree to abide by all applicable fire rules. I think most of these camps are going to be waterless but you will have lots of shade.

I think if you arrive on a Sunday you have an excellent chance of picking up a campground space that has just been vacated by a weekend camper. The earlier in the morning you arrive, the better, but too early and the rangers won't really have a handle on what spaces have opened up. I'd say between 8-10 am is the sweet spot.

Never been to Mineral King so I don't know anything about possible marmot damage. I've heard the odd story about marmot damage at other places but have never actually seen it firsthand.

Last edited by ResIpsa; 07-02-13 at 02:18 AM.
Old 07-02-13, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the advice. Cedar Grove sounds as crowded and hot as I imagined. Big Meadow and Hume Lake are around 7,000 feet and I'm betting they are less hot and dry.
Old 07-07-13, 04:13 PM

Hey sorry for the late reply but I have limited Internet

Res is pretty spot on. I have not been to Mineral King yet but will by August. The Marmots chew your wires to get to your antifreeze and you have to wrap your car in a tarp. Good thing though is that its mainly lactating females and theyre done by mid July (which is why Im waiting)

Arriving Sunday is good and checkout time is noon. We have boards at the entrance stations to let you know whats full. With a 5 yr old invloved, Id stick to the main camps. Cedar is great and as nice as Yosemite (minus the easy access waterfalls, gotta hike to see those here) and doesnt have the huge crowds. I like the campgrounds there and Sheep Creek is the best. For Forestry, id hit Princess Camp. Lake Hume is a Christian camp so its crowded and annoying...to me Big Meadow is very awesome but its more rustic. Great views though. I reccomend checking it out.

Everything is going to be hot and dry now. At times, its ugly. Stay away from lower elevations and have plenty of water.
Old 07-07-13, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Ravenous, please please please take a hike from Bighorn Plateau to McClure Meadow for me. Probably the most gorgeous section of the PCT and I won't be able to make it this summer
Old 07-08-13, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ravenous View Post
Everything is going to be hot and dry now. At times, its ugly. Stay away from lower elevations and have plenty of water.
Thanks for all the advice. Since you say stay away from lower elevations should I avoid Cedar Grove altogether? You say it's great, but then you also say avoid lower elevations.

I'm glad you recomend Big Meadow because it looks to be around 7,500 to 8,000 feet. Probably much cooler.

To clarify, I'm thinking of making home base in Big Meadow and then take day trips by car to Giant Forest, Kings Canyon, Crystal Cave, etc.

Also, do you have any recomendations for fishing in the park?
Old 07-08-13, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You are a Park Ranger now?

Awesome sauce.

This is what I get for not visiting the Otter Farm anymore.

I am very envious. I have often thought being a Ranger would be a very gratifying experience.

Good luck and enjoy your next adventure.
Old 07-14-13, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
You are a Park Ranger now?

Awesome sauce.

This is what I get for not visiting the Otter Farm anymore.

I am very envious. I have often thought being a Ranger would be a very gratifying experience.

Good luck and enjoy your next adventure.
Thank you man. Its been a hard long road and I remember posting a little over a year ago asking for advice, and one was volunteering. That got the ball rolling for sure. Words cant comprehend how gratifying it is. And I got the next adventure already! Ive been hired for a park in Arizona already. Be there in October... Ill do a thread than too, and Ill give a hint, it aint Grand Canyon ;p

Res, I know McClure Meadow but not Bighorn. Im gonna look into it and do it for ya man! I know Ill never do that whole trail but a a piece is always do able!

Mabuse, dont avoid Cedar! Its a beautiful spot! Elevation is like 45000. Id avoid Ash Mountain, I do every weekend But Big Meadow is a good base camp spot but camp sites are primative in parts, so a kid maynot like that too much. As far as fishing, thats mainly done in Ash Mountain and water is so low you wouldnt really catch much. Keep in mind is a river so fly fishing is whatll work.

If you do come through, let me know. Itd be good to say hi to an otter!
Old 08-02-13, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm back from the trip. Everything went great. We did what I'd planned and camped at Big Meadows. I was VERY PLEASED with the campground. Lot's of shade, the sites were dispearsed, tempertures were cooler than everywhere in the park. We never got around to going all the way to Cedar Grove, but we visited Grant's Grove, Sherman Grove, and Crescent Meadow. We fished Hume Lake and had no luck. I can now tell that Sequoia is definately a springtime only fishing destination, everything was very dry.

We climbed to the Bucks Rock fire lookout, that was amazing. I didn't know what to expect but it ended up being the highlight of the trip. My 5 year old was so brave to climb those stairs. It was a great trip. Thank you for all the advice.

Sounds like your next destination is Saguaro. I've never been there. Good luck.

Last edited by Mabuse; 08-02-13 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-02-13, 07:12 PM

Glad you made it out! Shoulda let me known, I woulda given an otter hello! Im sure you woulda seen me
Old 10-01-13, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry about the forced vacation, Rav.

Hope it's short and enjoyable.
Old 10-01-13, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
Sorry about the forced vacation, Rav.

Hope it's short and enjoyable.
He can't see you. They probably shut off the internet access for the parks too.
Old 10-01-13, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm sure he's fine. He's probably holed up in some cabin with all the hot forest rangers.
Old 10-01-13, 08:43 PM
Banned

Does OP get to collect unemployment?
Old 10-01-13, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

This is political, so he probably doesn't know just yet.

And hundreds of thousands of Americans don't know, either. Democrats and Republicans will be using this in the near future to attack each other, and as usual, getting absolutely nothing accomplished.