Reload this Page >

Customers Flee Wal-Mart's Empty Shelves for Target, Costco

Other Talk "Otterville"

Customers Flee Wal-Mart's Empty Shelves for Target, Costco

Old 03-28-13, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Customers Flee Wal-Mart's Empty Shelves for Target, Costco

Something tells me she has no idea what a swastika is.

Surprised grundle's so down on Walmart. All the right wingers I know think it's the great American superstore because it caters to rednecks and puts small businesses out of business (free enterprise).
Old 03-28-13, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,512 Likes on 986 Posts

You could just replace "Walmart" with "Best Buy" and have pretty much the same article. The last 3 or 4 times I've been to Best Buy the Blu-ray shelves looked like they've been picked clean. I want to tell the manager to have the DirecTV pusher just stock the shelves in his down time between bothering customers since they're always lurking in the DVD aisles anyway.

I avoid Walmarts at all costs so I can't speak to their shelves but the last few times I have been their I've had to take detours through the aisles due to all the pallets dropped everywhere. Kind of odd that two things people associate with Walmart is 1. Shelves are empty and 2. Pallets of product all through the aisles. Seems contradictory.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 03-28-13 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-28-13, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,042 Likes on 810 Posts

In the store forum thread about BB, they mention that the Bluray/DVD sections are outsourced and stocked by a different company. They're loss leaders for the most part anyway, and it seems like some stores are shrinking the sections down. Now if they weren't stocking TVs or monster cables or Geek Squad services or something, they'd be in trouble.
Old 03-28-13, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

And? FedEx guys have stolen before too. The biggest issue is liability, you are right there though. This service would essentially make these guys couriers.

Btw, the ontrac guy that delivers here drives a beat up dented van...

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
And here's another really dumb idea from Wal-Mart:

And what's wrong with that?

Why, let's see what the professional analyst has to say about that:

Really?

They paid good money to a professional analyst, to tell them what anyone with common sense could have told them for free?

Old 03-28-13, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 609 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
That black dude might want to consider dumping his girlfriend.
She probably lets him pee in her butt.
Old 03-29-13, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
That black dude might want to consider dumping his girlfriend.
Is she pregnant?
Old 03-30-13, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley View Post
Target shoppers should be scared to death of this news. Shit stained ghetto dwellers are now shopping at Target!
They've always shopped at Target, just a whole lot snottier.
Old 03-30-13, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I recently sat through a 2 hour presentation about what my come does with social media
WTF?!
Old 03-30-13, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
I agree with the poster about the annoyance of the self-checkout machines, too. I hate to use them but when the alternative is to stand behind 2 to 3 people with carts so full they are about to spillover...you would think the self-checkout would be the way to go. That is until it locks up after every other item due to a weight issue, item not found, age restriction, or just it generally trying to piss you off.
No, absolutely not. I will wait before I'll use one of those damn self-checkouts. I'll consider it only they start paying me/giving me a discount for being their cashier.
Old 03-31-13, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I love the self checkouts. I'm through those things way quicker than a normal line.
Old 03-31-13, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have just a few things the self checkouts are the way to go. After you get too much they are much slower due to waiting for the weight checker to work or deal with restricted items (WD-40 is freakin' restricted!)

I hate all the restricted crap. Let's face it, if it's a chemical, someone can use it to get high. Let's get past that and stop wasting everyone's time to buy something that 99.9% of people are going to use the correct way. Drugs, ok that's fine restrict that, but beyond that it's just ridiculous.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Self checkouts are my jam, but I only use them like express lanes. I wouldn't use it when I have a full cart, but only when I have a few things.

I work at a Wal-Mart, and I will agree that being understaffed is an issue. It's not even that we're understaffed by much, but when you constantly try to do the work of 20 people with 15, that difference adds up to become a big problem.
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
I love the self checkouts. I'm through those things way quicker than a normal line.
I like them until the lady with an overflowing basket tries to go through one.

There only ever seems to be about three of these damn things open at a time.
Old 04-01-13, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,042 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighters7 View Post
If you have just a few things the self checkouts are the way to go. After you get too much they are much slower due to waiting for the weight checker to work or deal with restricted items (WD-40 is freakin' restricted!)

I hate all the restricted crap. Let's face it, if it's a chemical, someone can use it to get high. Let's get past that and stop wasting everyone's time to buy something that 99.9% of people are going to use the correct way. Drugs, ok that's fine restrict that, but beyond that it's just ridiculous.
Considering the average wait at a regular Walmart line, even with weighing and needing someone to come over, it usually ends up being quicker unless you're behind someone that has no idea what they're doing (which may be 75% of the time).
Old 04-01-13, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 648 Likes on 504 Posts

I forgot about ONTRAC. The other day my local UPS guy was dropping something off and he was like "dude, I thought you moved away, haven't seen you in months!" I was like yeah, I still order from Amazon, but now ONTRAC and USPS seem to be the only ones that deliver. Then he commented on how much stuff he has to deliver to ONTRAC and USPS, so that they sort it out. It's as if UPS and FEDEX have become somewhat of a premium service or they just stick to priority items and what not.

I have noticed that the ONTRAC folks that have delivered to me do drive some beat up vehicles.
Old 04-01-13, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Self checkouts and grocery stores are the shit. Walmart self checkouts are shit. Why can't they figure out the weight of anything? Are they not putting items into the system correctly? Is that a staffing issue as well?
Old 04-01-13, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
No, absolutely not. I will wait before I'll use one of those damn self-checkouts. I'll consider it only they start paying me/giving me a discount for being their cashier.
Meh....its a trend in all industries. Having the consumer do more of the work.

I mean, ATM machines and bank apps, have all but eliminated the need to go to a bank for normal checking activities. Heck, my main bank has no branch offices. At all. Someone gave me a check and I had to think for a second what to do with it. But of course all I had to do was take a pic of it in the app and done. But I was the one that did all the work, not the bank.

Full service gas is all but done. Places like Amazon thrive because the consumer does the research, decide what to buy, type in their CC, etc. The consumer is doing all the work.

You just need to show your support with your money. There is no doubt that a computer is registering every single transaction and compares it to a host of other transactions.

For me, if I only have a couple items, I'll use the self check out. But a cart full, I'll go through the regular lane. But lets be real here, going through a regular lane doesn't mean you get better service. I mean those folks aren't exactly highly paid professionals.
Old 04-01-13, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

IF the people in the self checkout line don't look too stupid, I will use a self checkout
IF I know for certain everything I have has the proper code on it, I will use a self checkout
IF the self check is 100% empty, I will use it even if I have items that will be a problem, the one cashier there will help me immediately and it all works out

I use a good many self checkouts, usually ends up being way faster for me. I have RARELY encountered the weight issue that everyone is speaking about. I have seen it, but it's not normal, usually pulling the item, waiting a couple seconds and putting it back fixes it.

Sure you can look at it as I am doing the work, but I am faster at it than the typical cashier and it's not like I am doing anything else while I am waiting in line (other than playing on a smartphone or something), so the way I see it, I get 10 minutes of my life back in exchange for doing a little brainless work, DEAL for me and I will do it.

Same with shopping online and doing all the work. That saves me hours of my life not driving to stores, waiting in lines, and wasting my time dealing with morons (both that work at the stores and that shop at them) Seems like a deal to me, plus free or cheap shipping is pretty easy to come be these days, it's a double win.
Old 04-01-13, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I forgot about ONTRAC. The other day my local UPS guy was dropping something off and he was like "dude, I thought you moved away, haven't seen you in months!" I was like yeah, I still order from Amazon, but now ONTRAC and USPS seem to be the only ones that deliver. Then he commented on how much stuff he has to deliver to ONTRAC and USPS, so that they sort it out. It's as if UPS and FEDEX have become somewhat of a premium service or they just stick to priority items and what not.

I have noticed that the ONTRAC folks that have delivered to me do drive some beat up vehicles.
Ups mail innovations and FedEx smartpost use ups and FedEx to deliver to the local post office then the local post office does final delivery. It is cheaper than having ups and FedEx do the final delivery. Amazon pretty much uses ontrac for my deliveries, even with prime, other prime like programs that I use like shop runner, inner circle or shop your way max uses ups.

Ontrac at least for me also has a beat up van.
Old 04-01-13, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
IF the people in the self checkout line don't look too stupid, I will use a self checkout
IF I know for certain everything I have has the proper code on it, I will use a self checkout
IF the self check is 100% empty, I will use it even if I have items that will be a problem, the one cashier there will help me immediately and it all works out

I use a good many self checkouts, usually ends up being way faster for me. I have RARELY encountered the weight issue that everyone is speaking about. I have seen it, but it's not normal, usually pulling the item, waiting a couple seconds and putting it back fixes it.

Sure you can look at it as I am doing the work, but I am faster at it than the typical cashier and it's not like I am doing anything else while I am waiting in line (other than playing on a smartphone or something), so the way I see it, I get 10 minutes of my life back in exchange for doing a little brainless work, DEAL for me and I will do it.

Same with shopping online and doing all the work. That saves me hours of my life not driving to stores, waiting in lines, and wasting my time dealing with morons (both that work at the stores and that shop at them) Seems like a deal to me, plus free or cheap shipping is pretty easy to come be these days, it's a double win.

I don't like prime that much anymore, you don't get free shipping for add on items under $25. There are ways around it but that makes the prime less convenient,