Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Last thing you bought...

Old 09-10-19, 11:30 AM
  #3576  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,273
Re: Last thing you bought...

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
I need to buy winter tires + cheap set of rims. My car (lease) came with run flat tires but I can just buy regular winter tires right? I know that if I have a flat, I also don't have a spare but I'll just call CAA (AAA).
Shouldn't be a problem to run winter tires.

You can replace the run flats with regular tires too, once they wear.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 09:58 PM
  #3577  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
tasha99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: the North
Posts: 5,836
Re: Last thing you bought...


A Janome sewing machine from Amazon. Also, they're sending me another Unicorn peppermill to replace the broken one.
tasha99 is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 10:38 PM
  #3578  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 29,818
Re: Last thing you bought...

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post


Shouldn't be a problem to run winter tires.

You can replace the run flats with regular tires too, once they wear.
Thanks, winter tire sales are about to start and that will be cheaper than run flats. And considering how little I drive,
I doubt I'll have to replace the current run flats.
eXcentris is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 12:07 PM
  #3579  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
DaveNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Sacramento (The City of a Beer)
Posts: 6,872
Re: Last thing you bought...

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
A Janome sewing machine from Amazon. Also, they're sending me another Unicorn peppermill to replace the broken one.
Janome's are great machines. My wife has a fancy one. Nothing makes sewing more frustrating than trying to do it on a cheapo machine.
DaveNinja is online now  
Old 09-12-19, 03:56 PM
  #3580  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
mrhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,132
Re: Last thing you bought...

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
I need to buy winter tires + cheap set of rims. My car (lease) came with run flat tires but I can just buy regular winter tires right? I know that if I have a flat, I also don't have a spare but I'll just call CAA (AAA).
You need to make sure to also get a set of TPMS (sensors) to go with those new wheels. I'm sure whomever you get your tires/wheels from would know to include them. It's original equipment nowadays on newer vehicles; especially if you have run flats.
mrhan is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 05:25 PM
  #3581  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,273
Re: Last thing you bought...

Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
You need to make sure to also get a set of TPMS (sensors) to go with those new wheels. I'm sure whomever you get your tires/wheels from would know to include them. It's original equipment nowadays on newer vehicles; especially if you have run flats.
Tpms is mandatory for all vehicles in the US since 2007.

My aftermarket wheels/tires don't have tpms and I was able to disable the tpms warning light. But I would only advise doing so if you are a pro.
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 07:06 PM
  #3582  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lower Gum Curve
Posts: 19,029
Re: Last thing you bought...


And two 4TB Seagate IronWolf NAS hard drives. Had a WD Mybook failure that cost me some pictures (not a lot, but more than enough) so I'm getting serious about data protection. It'll be uploading all my photos to Amazon photo too.
Jason is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 07:27 PM
  #3583  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 21,369
Re: Last thing you bought...

Originally Posted by Jason View Post

And two 4TB Seagate IronWolf NAS hard drives. Had a WD Mybook failure that cost me some pictures (not a lot, but more than enough) so I'm getting serious about data protection. It'll be uploading all my photos to Amazon photo too.
DVDTalk isn't where I typically post my technical stuff but I'm a HUGE Synology advocate.. I think their stuff is top notch. I've got the 918+ (I've gone from the 1 bay (beta), to the 2 bay, and now to 4). It does so much more than just storage - I think you'll really enjoy it.

You can also load DSPhoto on your phone and it will automatically upload your photos to your DS (sort of like Google does).

Enjoy!
General Zod is offline  
Old 09-13-19, 04:47 PM
  #3584  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,273
Re: Last thing you bought...

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) is offline  
Old 09-13-19, 10:32 PM
  #3585  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
tasha99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: the North
Posts: 5,836
Re: Last thing you bought...


Better you than me! I do not miss the Chuck E Cheese days!
tasha99 is offline  
Old 09-14-19, 09:23 AM
  #3586  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 8,771
Re: Last thing you bought...

This 2 pack of smart canister lights from Costco, only $15! Screaming good deal! We're going to put these throughout the house, they work great!!

joeblow69 is offline  
Old 09-14-19, 12:55 PM
  #3587  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 22,272
Re: Last thing you bought...

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Bought an acacia end grain cutting board from Amazon Warehouse. This weekend I'm going to sand it and oil it.

I sanded the top, rubbed it with mineral oil a few times, and refinished it with beeswax. It looks a lot better now. Mrs Danger says that she wants to hang it on the wall instead of using it for cooking.
Nick Danger is offline  
Old 09-14-19, 01:51 PM
  #3588  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,273
Re: Last thing you bought...

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post

Better you than me! I do not miss the Chuck E Cheese days!
True but i mean keeping a kid entertained all day while getting toys for $20 is pretty good, imo. I mean better than paying for other places which cost more.
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) is offline  
Old 09-14-19, 04:39 PM
  #3589  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 29,818
Re: Last thing you bought...

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post

Tpms is mandatory for all vehicles in the US since 2007.

My aftermarket wheels/tires don't have tpms and I was able to disable the tpms warning light. But I would only advise doing so if you are a pro.
Well I can deal with a warning light I guess, as long as this doesn't affect other systems. I don't really see the point of this TPMS on non run flat tires, I have a habit of always checking tire pressure when I gas up.
eXcentris is offline  
Old 09-17-19, 07:04 AM
  #3590  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
mrhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,132
Re: Last thing you bought...

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Well I can deal with a warning light I guess, as long as this doesn't affect other systems. I don't really see the point of this TPMS on non run flat tires, I have a habit of always checking tire pressure when I gas up.
Actually, checking your tire pressure at the gas station is the worst time because the tire has already built up pressure from rolling. Best time to check it is at home when it is still cold. It will give you a true reading. I always pump my tires at home, also because the pressure gauge at the gas station is highly inaccurate. I prefer using an analog dial gauge. The TPMS also give an accurate reading; it will tell you exactly when the tire starts to lose pressure while your driving. Pulling over as soon as you can might prevent the sidewall beads from breaking and creating a bubble. Otherwise, you can't save the tire. Most punctures can be fixed if it isn't near the sidewall but if the beads break you will need a new tire.
mrhan is offline  
Old 09-17-19, 05:07 PM
  #3591  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 30,395
Re: Last thing you bought...

devilshalo is offline  
Old 09-18-19, 05:39 PM
  #3592  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Vipper II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Abingdon, MD
Posts: 3,163
Re: Last thing you bought...

Carburetor for my lawnmower.
Vipper II is offline  
Old 09-18-19, 07:43 PM
  #3593  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 29,818
Re: Last thing you bought...

Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
You need to make sure to also get a set of TPMS (sensors) to go with those new wheels. I'm sure whomever you get your tires/wheels from would know to include them. It's original equipment nowadays on newer vehicles; especially if you have run flats.
Not mandatory in Canada. And I can do without the expense on a lease. I bought regular (not run flats) winter tires and cheap steel rims. I'll just ignore the TPMS warning light.
eXcentris is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.