Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Last thing you bought...

Old 07-30-19, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Last thing you bought...

A new furnace and heat pump. Installers are putting it in as I type. Bye bye window air conditioner!

It's an American Standard, which is apparently built by Trane. In any event, most of these things seem to be either built by one of about three American companies or are imported. Will have to be better than my 1973 Lennox furnace.
Old 07-30-19, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Had some rot at the bottom of my basement door frame and didn't feel like replacing the whole damn thing. This stuff worked exceptionally well, as it's one of only very few products that can be applied to vertical surfaces without slippage. Pain in the ass to work with, though; it's like extra, extra sticky peanut butter.
Old 08-04-19, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

64 GB
Old 08-04-19, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Question: A stainless steel decorative ring around one of my spa jets fell off. Obviously, I can empty the spa to stick it back on but what type of adhesive (glue, tape,..) do I use? A lot of this stuff says "waterproof" but I'm pretty sure that doesn't mean "can stay under water" in most cases.
Old 08-05-19, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

answer: Any 100% silicone sealer should work for that, eX. A little $5 tube will be more than enough. DAP Kwik Seal or Mono brand kitchen & bath sealant. Just make sure to clean old adhesive and soap scum, etc. off both the inside of the trim ring and the surface around the jet, and maybe give it a wipe down with 91% rubbing alcohol or mineral spirits to degrease before applying the sealant, and let it cure overnight before refilling the spa.
Old 08-05-19, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
answer: Any 100% silicone sealer should work for that, eX. A little $5 tube will be more than enough. DAP Kwik Seal or Mono brand kitchen & bath sealant. Just make sure to clean old adhesive and soap scum, etc. off both the inside of the trim ring and the surface around the jet, and maybe give it a wipe down with 91% rubbing alcohol or mineral spirits to degrease before applying the sealant, and let it cure overnight before refilling the spa.
Hadn't thought of silicone, thanks! Since this is just cosmetic, I might wait until I empty/winterize it.
Old 08-10-19, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

$15 at Macys

Old 08-16-19, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Suncloud Brown Lens Aviator

Old 08-17-19, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ray-Ban ORIGINAL WAYFARER CLASSIC Oh Yeah!!!!

Ray-Ban AVIATOR CLASSIC An added bonus!
Old 08-18-19, 12:34 PM

New toilet seat from Home Depot. The old American Standard toilet seat was crap (pun intended). The seat hinge wouldn't stay tightened and the seat kept sliding side-to-side.

Old 08-18-19, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When I was cleaning out my dead fridge, I was genuinely surprised at how many jars of pickles that I had in it--there had to have been seven or eight jars. I apparently have more pickle-making friends than I realized.
Old 08-20-19, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bought a small dslr bag. Tho it's a bit snug for my APS-C camera with sigma lens. Pretty nice for $5 shipped.

Old 08-21-19, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The hardwood floor is installed. We're going to get a lot less use from the vacuum cleaner.
Old 08-21-19, 05:39 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rbrown498 View Post
When I was cleaning out my dead fridge, I was genuinely surprised at how many jars of pickles that I had in it--there had to have been seven or eight jars. I apparently have more pickle-making friends than I realized.
Pickles are like fruitcakes. They are for regifting.
Old 08-21-19, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On a whim I bought some of those "snacks from around the world" assortments. Just received a box each of Turkish snacks and assorted Middle East snacks (some duplication). European and Eastern European on the way.
Old 08-21-19, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've heard about Turkish Delight.
Old 08-21-19, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Between the two boxes I received 4 identical individually wrapped pieces of turkish delight. The boxes each contain a variety of snack cakes, candy bars, cookies, small candies, chips, and at least one odd savory snack (a pouch of olives in one and a little tub with a pair of stuffed grape leaves).
Old 08-23-19, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 08-24-19, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bought a six pack of that new Sam Adams 76.

Not a fan.
Old 08-25-19, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Pickles are like fruitcakes. They are for regifting.

This is why I hang on to my pickles. I have 3 gallons of Kosher dills and 2 quarts of kkakdugi (Korean radish pickles) fermenting on my counter. It's why we need a second fridge, but it won't happen until next year. We tend to eat them fast, though. The dills are always gone by November, and I make various Korean pickles all year long. To me, that's where a lot of American Korean restaurants get it wrong--not enough variety in pickles and side dishes. The meat is easy, it's making all the sides that takes planning. Anyhow, no pickles for you!

What I just bought was one of these:

And 25 pounds of Hatch chilis, just roasted. I sealed them into one pound packages. Turned out 25 pounds fresh was about 12-13 pounds roasted. I left the seeds in and skin on. I might regret that, but it seemed daunting to do it all at once.

Last edited by tasha99; 08-25-19 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-25-19, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I've heard about Turkish Delight.
Enjoy it on a moonlit night.
Old 08-25-19, 03:32 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
This is why I hang on to my pickles. I have 3 gallons of Kosher dills and 2 quarts of kkakdugi (Korean radish pickles) fermenting on my counter. It's why we need a second fridge, but it won't happen until next year. We tend to eat them fast, though. The dills are always gone by November, and I make various Korean pickles all year long. To me, that's where a lot of American Korean restaurants get it wrong--not enough variety in pickles and side dishes. The meat is easy, it's making all the sides that takes planning. Anyhow, no pickles for you!
I love Korean (and Japanese) pickles. When I go to a Korean restaurant, they often bring out pickle and kimchi dishes first, and I often get full on them before the main dish arrives
Old 08-26-19, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just a follow-up on that Unicorn pepper mill I bought a while ago--it works great. It's not worth the expense to anyone who just wants to pepper their food, but it is able to make a few tsp of pepper really quickly. So for a kitchen pepper mill (vs. one for the table), it's really good.
Old 08-27-19, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
Just a follow-up on that Unicorn pepper mill I bought a while ago--it works great. It's not worth the expense to anyone who just wants to pepper their food, but it is able to make a few tsp of pepper really quickly. So for a kitchen pepper mill (vs. one for the table), it's really good.
Interesting... Sounds perfect, for what I often do. I make a dry rub that uses about 1 1/2 tsp of ground pepper. Feels like it takes forever to grind.

The unfortunate part is, It's $104 on Amazon.ca. I've put it in my cart to track the price. For a while, it was under $60, and at one point it was $28. Probably a pricing error, however.

I was also looking at this, but really, it looks like a toy, compared to the Unicorn mill.
Old 08-27-19, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another pair of shades. Not sure how they will look in person when I receive them but I fell in love with the style

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.