Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Last thing you bought...

Old 06-10-19, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Last thing you bought...

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Smart garage door opener. Installation was much easier and faster than I feared. I lost a remote and instead of getting a new one, decided to get this instead. Now I can open it by phone.
Picked up the same thing. For the $40 i paid, it's hard to beat.
Old 06-10-19, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bought some helium balloons. Price went up 50% since a few months ago. And this place was illegally selling balloons too.
Old 06-11-19, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have this pump which is probably 25+ years old and every time I unscrew it from the valve, half the air I pumped in comes back out. My patience finally ran out.

Old 06-12-19, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Coffee makers shouldn't have a limited shelf life.
You would think so. I did leave it unplugged & up in my bedroom for a few days. Plugged it back in
& it worked, But every so often the led screen will go balnk & when you pull the plug you got to reset
all the settings again. I did contact Keurig. They tried me to do a few things & it worked perfectly at
that time. But the customer service rep said there is nothing they could really do since it was brought
2.5 years ago. Even though it just sat in the box that long. He said they usually don't sit on the store
shelves that long since newer models replace them. He said they could probably give me a discount
on a newer model.
Old 06-15-19, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Okay, I've been pretty bad. I discovered Etsy and have bought an absolutely appalling number of tote bags. One of the bags has a fabric called "cat in a parliament of owls." Its kind of a kawaii "Where's Waldo" (the cat has a different color nose as compared to the beaks, very subtle whiskers, and a little cat mouth.) I found the same pattern on a print to order site, and ordered matching coffee and travel mugs.

One of the things I love about this pattern is that even though it's blues and tans, from a distance in most lighting, it looks like shades of blue, purple, and green. It has a "what color is this dress" thing going on, because it doesn't have any purple or green in it.

I am going to have to cool it, though. I've ordered two fabrics for custom bags, and then I have to quit. It would be so easy for me to end up with everything in my house getting stored in a hand crafted bag.

Last edited by tasha99; 06-15-19 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-15-19, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a really cute pattern.

My picture of the laughing woman with birds is back from the frame shop. So . . . the last thing I bought was a picture frame.
Old 06-15-19, 04:56 PM
Political Exile

Coffee makers shouldn't have a limited shelf life.
This is not meant to be revelatory, but we have lived in the age of disposability for a couple of decades. You buy something, use it for a few years (if lucky), it stops working, and you throw it away and buy a new one. In the old days, merchandise was of sufficient quality and longevity that one had it repaired.
Planned obsolescence enrages me.
Old 06-15-19, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
This is not meant to be revelatory, but we have lived in the age of disposability for a couple of decades. You buy something, use it for a few years (if lucky), it stops working, and you throw it away and buy a new one. In the old days, merchandise was of sufficient quality and longevity that one had it repaired.
I'm not talking about a deliberately shortened product cycle. I'm talking about a coffee maker that wore out before the box was ever opened. That's even worse.
Old 06-15-19, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 06-15-19, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Me too Norm. For instance my soapbox is washing machines. 3 years ago I had to buy a w/d set because we moved and the previous one we bought was 15ish years old. I expected about the same but when I went to do research all these new w/d with all this useless tech in it only last 5-7 years now. That's ridiculous. And what's more because of EPA regulations they don't even wash as well as the old machines. So I went with a Speed Queen. All metal gears, no frills, 7 year warranty, made in the US. Expensive, but should last me 15-20+ years. And it washes clothes very well. I'm all for environmental regulations but a lot of times they aren't sensical and practical and when it comes down to it the almighty dollar still reigns supreme. Now, sure your w/d might use less water but you'll also throw 3-4 of them in the landfill vs. a well built "old school" machine.
Old 06-15-19, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Me too Norm. For instance my soapbox is washing machines. 3 years ago I had to buy a w/d set because we moved and the previous one we bought was 15ish years old. I expected about the same but when I went to do research all these new w/d with all this useless tech in it only last 5-7 years now. That's ridiculous. And what's more because of EPA regulations they don't even wash as well as the old machines. So I went with a Speed Queen. All metal gears, no frills, 7 year warranty, made in the US. Expensive, but should last me 15-20+ years. And it washes clothes very well. I'm all for environmental regulations but a lot of times they aren't sensical and practical and when it comes down to it the almighty dollar still reigns supreme. Now, sure your w/d might use less water but you'll also throw 3-4 of them in the landfill vs. a well built "old school" machine.
I had a similar issue with vacuum cleaners. I was going through them so fast, even though I'd have them serviced if they lasted a year. Usually they only lasted 6 months with all the plastic parts inside. Bought a Miele, and it still works more than a decade later.
Old 06-15-19, 11:31 PM
Political Exile

I'm not talking about a deliberately shortened product cycle. I'm talking about a coffee maker that wore out before the box was ever opened. That's even worse.
Oh, I understood. Equipment these days seems to break down over time, whether it is being used or sitting in the unopened box.
Originally Posted by tanman
Good luck with your washer. These days one must do research before virtually every purchase of any significance. In the old days, before the Throwaway Age (and now I feel like an old man again), one went to the store, looked at a couple of models, and bought something. Typically one would get many years of service out of even the cheapest models. Now, 90% of everything sold is shit. Maybe an exaggeration, but when one has been burned a few times by disposable modern junk, it feels like 90%.
Originally Posted by tasha99
I had a similar issue with vacuum cleaners. I was going through them so fast, even though I'd have them serviced if they lasted a year. Usually they only lasted 6 months with all the plastic parts inside. Bought a Miele, and it still works more than a decade later.
Don't even get me started on vacuum cleaners, much less Miele vacuum cleaners. We had an ages-old, bought-used Electrolux canister that was built like a tank, but developed some problems with the hose and electricity supply to the power head, so in 2011 we bought a $700 Miele S7 at Costco. We should have looked to make sure it was made in Germany, but we didn't. Big, massive, gargantuan oversight! It was made in China. The thing has power to spare, so the motor is fine, but the plastic hinges for the plastic lids are of such chintzy quality that they have broken about half-a-dozen times. Luckily we have a 10-year warranty from Costco, so all that work has been covered, and will be for another two years, but it's still an inconvenience one shouldn't have to deal with for that much money.
A year or two after we bought it, and the very same obviously Mickey-Mouse parts had broken at least twice or three times, I emailed Miele and explained the situation, hoping the company would stand behind its product and provide a refund or a model made of better plastic. The reply was something dismissive like, "Sorry, we don't do that". For that reason alone, I would never recommend Miele, as a company, to anyone, though I do acknowledge that, if you know what to look for, the vacuums are second-to-none. I don't blame the Chinese or Vietnamese, or Bangladeshis, or whoever is being exploited for pennies a day. I blame the multinationals that cut corners to maximize profit. They are exclusively to blame.
Old 06-15-19, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good luck with your washer. These days one must do research before virtually every purchase of any significance. In the old days, before the Throwaway Age (and now I feel like an old man again), one went to the store, looked at a couple of models, and bought something. Typically one would get many years of service out of even the cheapest models. Now, 90% of everything sold is shit. Maybe an exaggeration, but when one has been burned a few times by disposable modern junk, it feels like 90%.

Don't even get me started on vacuum cleaners, much less Miele vacuum cleaners. We had an ages-old, bought-used Electrolux canister that was built like a tank, but developed some problems with the hose and electricity supply to the power head, so in 2011 we bought a $700 Miele S7 at Costco. We should have looked to make sure it was made in Germany, but we didn't. Big, massive, gargantuan oversight! It was made in China. The thing has power to spare, so the motor is fine, but the plastic hinges for the plastic lids are of such chintzy quality that they have broken about half-a-dozen times. Luckily we have a 10-year warranty from Costco, so all that work has been covered, and will be for another two years, but it's still an inconvenience one shouldn't have to deal with for that much money.
A year or two after we bought it, and the very same obviously Mickey-Mouse parts had broken at least twice or three times, I emailed Miele and explained the situation, hoping the company would stand behind its product and provide a refund or a model made of better plastic. The reply was something dismissive like, "Sorry, we don't do that". For that reason alone, I would never recommend Miele, as a company, to anyone, though I do acknowledge that, if you know what to look for, the vacuums are second-to-none. I don't blame the Chinese or Vietnamese, or Bangladeshis, or whoever is being exploited for pennies a day. I blame the multinationals that cut corners to maximize profit. They are exclusively to blame.
Also back in the day, you used to pay for quality. There used to be a clear delineation in increase of quality with the amount you pay. Nowadays there's no such thing as a good "brand". Those top of the line $1000 Samsung washers won't last you any longer than a cheap $300 Haeir will. Also brands are nothing but names now. Look at Craftsman for an example. Used to represent good quality made in USA tools but they gradually got cheaper and cheaper until they aren't made in the US but China and now they're just a name for Lowe's to use. They all come out of the same factory in China and they just slap a different label on there.

That sucks about the Miele vacuum. You'd think for a $700 vacuum they could afford to make it in Germany. My parents had one of those really old Electrolux's too. Here's something the millenials won't know. One of our cheaper older tube TV's used to get out of alignment where the picture would be distorted at the edge. So we use to take the hulking electolux and run the back of the vacuum around the front of the TV. The massive magnet in the motor would realign the TV and fix it

But honestly it's our own fault as consumers. In general we look for the cheapest product and don't care about taking care of anything or longevity or quality. We just are suckers for marketing and the flashiest product out there at the cheapest price. So manufacturers have responded to that.
Old 06-16-19, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Our refrigerator, chest freezer, stove, washer, and dryer are all from the 1990s. They don't have circuit boards. The washer and dryer have mechanical relays. Our vacuum cleaner was a used 1990s commercial model I bought for the price of a new consumer model. I hope to get many more years of use from all of them.

In twenty years, this is all the service I've done. I've replaced the ice maker in the refrigerator, replaced the rollers under the drum of the dryer, replaced the controllers behind the knobs on the gas range, and disabled the bleach cycle on the washer. I like having major appliances that I can fix myself.

I did need a service guy come in twice to fix the stove.
Old 06-16-19, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Back on topic. 450 square feet of 3/4" oak floor boards.

Today I rented a U-Haul trailer, drove across town, and picked up the floor boards from the friend who's selling them to me. They were leftovers from when she replaced her carpet with hardwood floors. Someone ordered too much.

Now they're in our garage, and one of my motorcycles will be in the driveway for the next month.
Old 06-16-19, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, someone WAY overbought. Good news for you.

And that's awesome about your appliances. I think things like that do a whole lot more for our environment then HE w/d's.
Old 06-16-19, 08:51 PM
Political Exile

^All that hardwood must have cost a pretty penny. Do you no longer have your 1992 Wagonmaster 5000? I faintly recall a picture of it standing out in the desert.

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Also back in the day, you used to pay for quality. There used to be a clear delineation in increase of quality with the amount you pay. Nowadays there's no such thing as a good "brand". Those top of the line $1000 Samsung washers won't last you any longer than a cheap $300 Haeir will. Also brands are nothing but names now. Look at Craftsman for an example. Used to represent good quality made in USA tools but they gradually got cheaper and cheaper until they aren't made in the US but China and now they're just a name for Lowe's to use. They all come out of the same factory in China and they just slap a different label on there.
I'm really sad to hear about the decline of Craftsman. Up at the cottage we used to have a hand-me-down 1960s Craftsman electric mower. It was a basic model that didn't mulch, but it had good power and durability, and I don't remember why we finally replaced it no more than a decade ago, but we bought another bargain-basement corded Black & Decker that has done the job capably ever since.
Love your story about the ad hoc repair of the old CRT.
Old 06-17-19, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We still have the station wagon. That's what I used to pull the trailer. I rented a trailer because I was under the impression that the boxes were 8 feet long. The wagon only has a 7 foot bed, but they might have fit.
Old 06-17-19, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice bundle.
Old 06-17-19, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^Yum! One my favourites. I would buy it more often, but I'm still mad that their prices shot way up after a new marketing strategy, years ago.

In fairness, I think it was underpriced, initially, but the Original you've pictured went from about $40 to $60 in a very brief period. It's now about $70.
Old 06-18-19, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a bottle of Glenmorangie from sherry barrels. It was delicious. When I finished it and tried to buy another bottle, it had been discontinued. I wonder if the purchase of the distillery by the conglomerate LVMH had something to do with that.
Old 06-18-19, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had a bottle of Glenmorangie from sherry barrels. It was delicious. When I finished it and tried to buy another bottle, it had been discontinued. I wonder if the purchase of the distillery by the conglomerate LVMH had something to do with that.
I bet it's due to the same marketing direction I mentioned.

In addition to design (bottle and label) changes, they also renamed some of their products.

I believe the sherry casked version became 'Lasanta.'