Reload this Page >

Airport Layover Question - Help!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 02-08-13, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Booking a trip to Las Vegas in May...the flight I'm looking at goes from Indianapolis to Denver to Vegas - but the layover in Denver is only 40 minutes. Is that even enough time to switch flights? There are literally NO available flights for the time period we're going to with a longer layover. Thoughts?
Old 02-08-13, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 157 Likes on 94 Posts
Re: Airport Layover Question - Help!

That's enough time, but it hopes everything goes according to plan, and your next gate is relatively close to where you get off the first plane.
Old 02-08-13, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I've done scheduled layovers as tight as 30 minutes before.
Old 02-08-13, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I have limited layover experience, but have watched enough The Amazing Race to know that it could be an issue.
Old 02-08-13, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
I have limited layover experience, but have watched enough The Amazing Race to know that it could be an issue.
I've watched enough The Amazing Race to know that they will hold the plane for you if you're running late...
Old 02-08-13, 11:50 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

That's pretty tight...Denver's a big airport. Are both flights in the same terminal (likely if they are the same airline)?
Old 02-08-13, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

Is the layover with the same airline? Denver is huge but if you don't have to change concourse it's not so bad. If you haven't been to Denver each concourse has those moving walkways to speed you along.

But, as was mentioned, a lot depends on the first leg arriving on time.
Old 02-08-13, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope that your 1st flight is not delayed. But the 2nd flight should wait for you if you are on or close in schedule.
Old 02-08-13, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I've watched enough The Amazing Race to know that they will hold the plane for you if you're running late...
Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

Just last week I was flying back to Minneapolis from Hawaii and had a 3 hour layover at LAX. After the 3 hours, I board the plane and find out that the "powers that be" decided to hold the plane because a flight from Salt Lake City was late and it was decided that those passengers would be accommodated. It was very weird. Even though supposedly only the Salt Lake City passengers were getting on my flight, people kept filtering in for like 30 minutes. You would think that they would all come on at once. And freebie passengers were kicked off the plane only to be let back on 15 minutes later. The captain was pissed. He made a point of telling us that this was not his decision and frankly he didn't know who made the decision and he apologized to everybody who was already on the plane because some of them would most likely miss their connecting flights in Minneapolis.

Turns out we left like 50 minutes late, but got to Minneapolis only like 10 minutes late, so he was hauling ass.
Old 02-08-13, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
That's pretty tight...Denver's a big airport. Are both flights in the same terminal (likely if they are the same airline)?
How do I tell this? (Have I mentioned this is my first flight since I was 5 years old? )

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Is the layover with the same airline? Denver is huge but if you don't have to change concourse it's not so bad. If you haven't been to Denver each concourse has those moving walkways to speed you along.

But, as was mentioned, a lot depends on the first leg arriving on time.
Yeah, same airline.
Old 02-08-13, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe Denver's airport has info on connections? Again, no guarantees for that tight of a connection. However, if you booked with the same airline as 1 itinerary (not two separate tickets), they are required to find you a seat on a subsequent flight if you miss the connection.
Old 02-08-13, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a little tight and your connecting flight will probably already be boarding when you land in Denver, but you still shouldn't have any problems if your flight isn't delayed (same airline, and Denver's airport isn't Dallas-or LAX-big).

Having said that, I will never fly again if the there isn't at least an hour between flights. I had a 40 minute layover in Dallas when returning to LA from Detroit a few years ago, not realizing that the gate I needed was on the opposite side of the airport. Had to take a train and literally sprinted the remaining distance (felt like miles) with my then 3-year old in my arms...made it just seconds before they closed the doors.

That airport is fucking long.
Old 02-08-13, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by argh923 View Post
Yeah, same airline.
Okay, that is a good thing. Go to the website for Denver International and they will show the layout of each concourse. Most airlines will occupy one concourse. As the time gets closer check your itinerary for the gate numbers. That will give you an idea of the distance. With those moving walkways you can get from one end of a concourse to the other end in about 5 mins if you briskly walk while on the moving walkway.

Another factor on making your connection is where your seat is on the first flight.
Old 02-08-13, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

If it's Southwest to Southwest (assuming since it's Denver and Las Vegas we're talking about here) you should be fine. They spend so much time with their non-assigned seating that you'll walk up while people are still loading.

I have a similar layover in Denver next weekend.
Old 02-08-13, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So long as your first flight is not delayed (and even that might be okay if the problem is weather in Denver, which means all flights are probably delayed), 40 mins is plenty of time so long as you do not have to change terminals. With that said, I would try to get as close to the front of the plane as possible on the fist flight and still hustle over to the second flight, they usually close the door 5 mins prior to takeoff, so your 40 mins is really 35.
Old 02-08-13, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
If it's Southwest to Southwest (assuming since it's Denver and Las Vegas we're talking about here) you should be fine. They spend so much time with their non-assigned seating that you'll walk up while people are still loading.

I have a similar layover in Denver next weekend.
I was wondering if it is Southwest also. If it is then I would suggest paying extra for the Early Bird on the first flight so he can be as close to the front as possible. Works out pretty well with short layovers.
Old 02-08-13, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I was wondering if it is Southwest also. If it is then I would suggest paying extra for the Early Bird on the first flight so he can be as close to the front as possible. Works out pretty well with short layovers.
Yeah, plus Concourse C (Southwest) at Denver really isn't tremendously crowded.

It's generally easy if you're flying the same airline for both legs. Unless you're in Atlanta. Denver isn't a particularly huge airport (and they have some of the slowest baggage claim ever created, but you won't have to deal with that.)

Last edited by RichC2; 02-08-13 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-08-13, 01:38 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

If your airline is United, then you're more safe than any other airline, since your connection is in Denver. You can always check which gates those flights typically fly in/out of at DEN and see if they're close. Just go to united.com and check flight statuses for the last day or two for those flight numbers.
Old 02-08-13, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For what its' worth when I go through the booking process it's allowing me to choose my seats. That said...there are 8 of us doing this. I can get the airline later, but I think it's Frontier.
Old 02-08-13, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Booking a trip to Las Vegas in May...the flight I'm looking at goes from Indianapolis to Denver to Vegas - but the layover in Denver is only 40 minutes. Is that even enough time to switch flights? There are literally NO available flights for the time period we're going to with a longer layover. Thoughts?
Don't risk it, you might miss your flight. All that has to happen is your flight from Indy to Denver is delayed by 10-15 minutes and you are in serious trouble.
Old 02-08-13, 01:47 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Good news...all the Frontier gates are together at DIA.
Old 02-08-13, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TimeandTide View Post
It's a little tight and your connecting flight will probably already be boarding when you land in Denver, but you still shouldn't have any problems if your flight isn't delayed (same airline, and Denver's airport isn't Dallas-or LAX-big).

Having said that, I will never fly again if the there isn't at least an hour between flights. I had a 40 minute layover in Dallas when returning to LA from Detroit a few years ago, not realizing that the gate I needed was on the opposite side of the airport. Had to take a train and literally sprinted the remaining distance (felt like miles) with my then 3-year old in my arms...made it just seconds before they closed the doors.

That airport is fucking long.

Same thing happened to us, connecting in Dallas from Nashville to Seattle flight..a guy on a cart had to drive us a LONG way to the other side of the airport..and still had to run and almost not make it. We had a hour and 15 minutes, but our flight to dallas was delayed.
Old 02-08-13, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Frontier is based in Denver so they are in Concourse A. The gates could be at opposite ends of the concourse. Have the fastest guy get as close to the front of the plane.

I have this visual of all 8 of you recreating the beach race scene from Chariots of Fire
Old 02-08-13, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Don't risk it, you might miss your flight. All that has to happen is your flight from Indy to Denver is delayed by 10-15 minutes and you are in serious trouble.
Not risking it isn't an option...it's the only flight available.
Old 02-08-13, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not risking it isn't an option...it's the only flight available.
Oh..well then risk away! Make sure your carry on is not heavy..will suck when you have to run 1-2 miles

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.