Bakery Refuses To Make Same-Sex Marriage Cake

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 02-03-13, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

http://www.katu.com/news/local/Gresh...189575431.html

A Baker who refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple is the subject of a state investigation.

Two women protested the decision Saturday by giving away free cupcakes outside Sweet Cakes bakery and holding signs that said “tolerance is sweet” and “don’t hate, let them eat cake.”

“We just thought that was really hurtful and we feel like we should be out here taking a stand,” said protester Rachel Oleson. “We’re not going to go along with that type of hate.”

“We’ve talked to gay people and lots of allies in this neighborhood, and just so they know that shop and those views aren’t the only ones that are around,” said Kim Crane.

The Oregon Equality Act of 2007 prohibits discrimination against people based on their sexual orientation and gender identity. The statute includes public accommodations, such as businesses. Oregon Attorney General's civil enforcement officers are looking into whether Aaron Klein broke the law when he denied the couple a cake.

“I apologized for wasting their time and said we don’t do same-sex marriages,” Klein said Friday. I “honestly did not mean to hurt anybody, didn’t mean to make anybody upset, [it’s] just something I believe in very strongly.”

Supporters flocked to the bakery as well. Klein said Saturday was one of his busiest days ever.

“We’ll be coming here as long as they’re here,” said Miya Shalashov, who supports Klein’s decision. “We’ll buy everything.”

“[There was] pretty much a line out the door since 9:30 this morning before we opened,” Klein said. “The phone hasn’t stopped ringing all day long.”

The Portland couple who filed the complaint against Sweet Cakes asked for privacy Saturday, but their lawyer told KATU News that they appreciate the support they’ve received.

Klein said he doesn’t care about the publicity.

“It comes down to one thing plain and simple,” he said. “This is what I believe. This is my religious faith.

“The initial rush may wane, we’ll see how that plays out, but again, like I said, I’m willing to take this as far as it needs to go to stand up for what I believe in.”
Old 02-03-13, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Bakery Refuses To Make Same-Sex Marriage Cake

The whole same sex marriage stuff is supposed to be a boon to cake makers, wedding planners and that whole industry. Guess some people just don't want to make money.
Old 02-03-13, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, there have been alot of these. In this case, with Oregon already having added sexual orientation into their civil rights laws for business, the baker doesn't have much legal grounds. And I (surprise) don't have a problem with that.
Old 02-03-13, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So refusing to make someone a cake now equals hate. We live in a stupid world. Just go to the next baker, dumbasses.
Old 02-03-13, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stupid people with their unapproved nonsanctioned unpopular individual beliefs that interfere with no one's rights to anything.
Old 02-03-13, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You guys just aren't taking equal cake access seriously!

Last edited by adamblast; 02-03-13 at 03:40 PM. Reason: added smiley. itza joke.
Old 02-03-13, 02:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah. How dare people stand up for what they believe in ? Those jerks. You'd think that people had freedom of speech or something....
Old 02-03-13, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by adamblast View Post
Yeah, there have been alot of these. In this case, with Oregon already having added sexual orientation into their civil rights laws for business, the baker doesn't have much legal grounds. And I (surprise) don't have a problem with that.

This is the same as discriminating on basis of skin color. Anyone who says otherwise is being ignorant.
Old 02-03-13, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
Yeah. How dare people stand up for what they believe in ? Those jerks. You'd think that people had freedom of speech or something....
Hell yeah!

Not that I can actually tell which side you're talking about.
Old 02-03-13, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts

Twenty years ago when my ex and I were planning our commitment ceremony, we had everything done by friends so we didn't have to rely on potentially reluctant businesspeople. Her college roommate took the photos, the roommate's boyfriend ran the videocamera, another friend made the cake, and my hairdresser's aunt catered it. I think it's better to find "connections" like this when you have an important event like this.

I don't agree with this confectioner's opinion, but she has the right as a business owner to hold it--and to refuse service for whatever reason. In return, the rejected customers have the right to let the public know why they were rejected, although I think it's a waste of time.
Old 02-03-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So wait, I can support same sex unions AND get free cupcakes?
Old 02-03-13, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I don't agree with this confectioner's opinion, but she has the right as a business owner to hold it--and to refuse service for whatever reason.
So the libertarians are right that the '64 Civil Rights Act was wrong? It seems to me eminently reasonable to label *some* refusals as discrimination and say that they're a public bad. The question is what, why, how, when etc.
Old 02-03-13, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So the libertarians are right that the '64 Civil Rights Act was wrong? It seems to me eminently reasonable to label *some* refusals as discrimination and say that they're a public bad. The question is what, why, how, when etc.
So, if he is legally forced to bake it under protest, how good do you think that cake is going to be? Is that really the best solution for the couple vs going to another baker?

I think I'd rather know he isn't motivated to do a good job for me, if even if it is for a dumbass reason.
Old 02-03-13, 04:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So he's a dumbass for having a different view than you.....good to know.
Old 02-03-13, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

the baker doesn't have much legal grounds. And I (surprise) don't have a problem with that.
People like this thrive on perceived persecution.
Old 02-03-13, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For sure, OldDude. It's like fighting with a waiter or fast food employee *before* you get your food. Unwise to say the least.

Of course, I doubt any gay people much *want* to support this guy's business at this point. More like ruin it. (The towelroad comments section is a-flurry with calls to "take 'em down!" and links, etc). And he's getting a conservative customer bump like chick-fil-a did. Still, he's legally wrong in Oregon, hence the complaint & investigation. (Note: not a lawsuit. At least yet.)

Last edited by adamblast; 02-03-13 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-03-13, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't know why I'm helping bigots, but here's a free piece of advice to people in the wedding industry who don't want to work a same sex wedding: Ask what date they're planning for, and when they tell you look at your calendar and then say "Sorry, we're booked up for that date."

Or you could violate your state law ( if there is one), get negative publicity and have you day in court.
Old 02-03-13, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those that support the Bakery's decision; Replace same-sex with Inter-racial. Would you still agree with them?
Old 02-03-13, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 107 Likes on 79 Posts

I think the baker should be allowed to refuse service. There are plenty of other bakers who will take the job. I also think that if I lived in that town, I'd never go to that bakery.

This is different from Blacks in the pre-civil rights era in a practical sense: a Black family back then could drive all day without finding a place that would serve them lunch. The discrimination was so comprehensive that a remedy was necessary, even if the remedy was as distasteful as ordering the local police to tell private businesses who they could and could not serve. It seems to me that anti-gay bakers, florists, and charities are sufficiently uncommon that it makes the news when they refuse someone service or return donations. It wasn't newsworthy that Sammy Davis Jr. couldn't eat at the night clubs where he sang. That was just the way the world worked.
Old 02-03-13, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 133 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by OldDude View Post
So, if he is legally forced to bake it under protest, how good do you think that cake is going to be? Is that really the best solution for the couple vs going to another baker?

I think I'd rather know he isn't motivated to do a good job for me, if even if it is for a dumbass reason.
OR one could just make a sale and bake a damn cake. Who the fuck cares who it's for? It's a sale and keeps your doors open for business.
Old 02-03-13, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
Those that support the Bakery's decision; Replace same-sex with Inter-racial. Would you still agree with them?
Personally, I'd love a 50/50 vanilla/chocolate cake.
Old 02-03-13, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 157 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
So he's a dumbass for having a different view than you.....good to know.
The aren't making this cake out of the goodness of their hearts. If they want to run a business (which means working with the local government) then they shouldn't be able to refuse service to an entire group of people without repercussions.

Would you be just as tolerant if they wouldn't serve black people? How about Asians? Or women? Or the elderly? Or the handicapped?

I think your personal beliefs make you think this is less of a big deal than it is.
Old 02-03-13, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
This story seems like a repeat. Or maybe it was a florist.
there was an identical story in the Denver area a few months ago, maybe it was posted here too.
Old 02-03-13, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

Sad shit. But hey, although they have a right to their OPINIONS no matter how Racist, Sexist, Homophobic, and etc they are...I could be wrong, but they DO NOT have a right to refuse services based solely on Sexual orientation correct?

It's like, yeah...stick to your beliefs. But realize the rest of the world may not share them and you may have some pushback.
Old 02-03-13, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
The aren't making this cake out of the goodness of their hearts. If they want to run a business (which means working with the local government) then they shouldn't be able to refuse service to an entire group of people without repercussions.

Would you be just as tolerant if they wouldn't serve black people? How about Asians? Or women? Or the elderly? Or the handicapped?

I think your personal beliefs make you think this is less of a big deal than it is.
If he didn't like to bake for old farts, I wouldn't want him to make an exception for me, because the cake would be crap. How many bakers are in this town; there's plenty here, I'd move on to the next.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.