Other Talk "Otterville"

Criticism

Old 01-25-13, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Criticism

I would talk to her about the critiscm and tell her how you feel.

Also, regarding the meat, you need a fattier cut of roast for all-day cooking. Even immersed in liquid, it's the fat breaking down that keeps it moist on the inside, not the outside moisture.
Old 01-25-13, 09:04 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander View Post
It's the fat breaking down that keeps it moist on the inside, not the outside moisture.
Giantrobo was right.
Old 01-25-13, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 655 Likes on 468 Posts

First world vagina problems.
Old 01-25-13, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 94 Posts

Good point.

Two normal guy friends = easy to get along, or they're not friends, no big deal. World peace.

Two women friends = passive aggressive drama.

Any spouses = psychotic games, all the war and injustice confined into one relationship. End of times death and destruction.
Old 01-25-13, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
It tasted fine to me ... not overly moist but certainly not the way she seemed to think. I had made sure it was covered with water and the broth I used to cook it in.
You covered the roast in water? If so, that could be your problem. Boiled meat is not very good.
Old 01-25-13, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 185 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Staff Sergeant Honeylamb I believe. The name tag on her uniform says "Honeylamb" from reports I've heard.

REALLY!?!?! I always thought Vibs referred to her as that because
Spoiler:
it was a reference to her woman area. Sorry for being crude
Old 01-25-13, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
You covered the roast in water? If so, that could be your problem. Boiled meat is not very good.
There were six of us. And we didn't have much money to eat. So I don't think I can complain. But I never knew what good steak is was until I moved out of my parents' house. It was always the cheapest meat, put in some water, some spices, and roasted in the oven. I remember HATING steak when I was a kid. A1 would help a little.

I was all about Ramen noodles with hot dog slices mixed in. Mmmm.
Old 01-26-13, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 581 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler View Post
And we didn't have much money to eat.
There's your first problem ... quit eating the money and buy some food.

That said, I grew up in a similar fashion ... my mom burned the hell out of everything. When I moved out I found that I prefer most foods undercooked ... a decent steak should stll be twitching.

Vibs -- if you are going to throw a roast in the crockpot, you shouldn't be cooking it for more than 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low. Add just a little water (it will produce its own natural juices) and some seasoning. It also helps to cook the vegetables in the crockpot with it (i.e., diced up potatoes, carrots, some celery).
Old 01-27-13, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 days out of 30, 90% good so she's telling your food gets an A.
Old 01-27-13, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Sear the roast in a pan with oil (and butter). Roast should be salted a little, and try to find some smoked salts. Sear all the sides of the roast until it's crusted. When you're putting the roast in a pot with vegetables, cook the roast on the lowest temp you can set it. In the oven, I cook it at around 180, for about an hour or two, but depends on size of the roast. Water is one of the best heat conductors, so it will cook something very quickly, even on low heat.

You'll know if a roast is over-cooked if you see it bulge and virtually all the blood is pushed out of it on the outside. This means just the fiber is left, and it's basically a Nike Shoe. So, check the roast frequently, and even take off a small piece to taste.
Old 01-27-13, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

^ That's pretty spot on, but I never use water. Instead, I use chicken broth and beef consume with garlic and bay leafs in the broth. I cook a 4 pound roast in the oven in a hotel pan (or dutch oven) sealed tight at 200 for about 3 hours and then pull out the garlic and bay leafs and add onion, carrots and small b size potatoes and let it go for another couple of hours. Take your liquid, make a brown rue and add the liquid to make the gravy.

FYI - I prefer a chuck roast with good marble.

Fuck the crock pot method all to hell.
Old 01-27-13, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

^Agree with trying to avoid water as your base. Ruins everything, really, even the taste. Broth is best.
Old 01-27-13, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My mom doesnt like it when we dont tell her when she misses. Because then the compliments mean nothing.
Old 01-27-13, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, duh, she's a borg.....
Old 01-28-13, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
REALLY!?!?! I always thought Vibs referred to her as that because
Spoiler:
it was a reference to her woman area. Sorry for being crude
No, that's SSG Honeyclam. Geez, try to keep up.
Old 01-28-13, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 534 Likes on 253 Posts

Thank you for your input and cooking advice. I promise I will never cook a lean roast on low all day, ever again.

And SSG Honeylamb? She's dead. I shot her.

Okay, just kidding. But haven't had any complaints the last day or two.

Cuz I haven't cooked.
Old 01-28-13, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
haven't had any complaints the last day or two.

Cuz I haven't cooked.
But did you "eat"? That's probably why she hasn't been complaining.
Old 01-29-13, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Sear the roast in a pan with oil (and butter). Roast should be salted a little, and try to find some smoked salts. Sear all the sides of the roast until it's crusted. When you're putting the roast in a pot with vegetables, cook the roast on the lowest temp you can set it. In the oven, I cook it at around 180, for about an hour or two, but depends on size of the roast. Water is one of the best heat conductors, so it will cook something very quickly, even on low heat.

You'll know if a roast is over-cooked if you see it bulge and virtually all the blood is pushed out of it on the outside. This means just the fiber is left, and it's basically a Nike Shoe. So, check the roast frequently, and even take off a small piece to taste.
More evidence that crock pot cooking is inferior in many situations. And now I want to spend all day Thursday cooking a roast.
Old 01-29-13, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post

Will add that whatever liquid you use, be it wine, broth, beer, vinegar, should be used to deglaze the pan you seared the roast in, before putting that liquid in the pot (or crock pot).

A crock pot can make some darn good meals, if done right with the right cut of meat.
Old 01-29-13, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by PrincessT View Post
More evidence that crock pot cooking is inferior in many situations. And now I want to spend all day Thursday cooking a roast.
crock pot cooking is inferior in almost all situations. That said, it's way inferior if you just throw it all in the pot and hit "on". You can do most of the same things like searing the meat, deglazing, etc, and then just do the cooking in the crockpot. In any case, crockpots are a great way to get good tasting home cooked food with little work. I am aware of its limitations but still use it often, because you can't beat the simplicity.