Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Is a resume writing service worth it?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Is a resume writing service worth it?

Old 01-02-14, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Is a resume writing service worth it?

I would say no, but I will say yes. I had resumes covered in a college course and it was really helpful. I would say, generally if you know how to use tables in Word, building the resume should be easy. Just google some samples for your particular industry and tailor the wording to your experience. Or try and get resumes from friends in the industry, and send them your drafts to get their thoughts.

But for $35 you might as well do it. The peace of mind alone is probably worth it - you will feel more confident about your resume and yourself during the interview.
Old 01-05-14, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe the O/P believes that if he didn't actually write it, then telling lies are okay. Just like when you have your tax return professionally prepared.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 01-05-14 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-16-14, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hiring a professional writer is beneficial. I have my own experience, they create resume professionally and guide effectively.
Old 01-16-14, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I looked into it when I wanted to change jobs. What turned me away was that they insisted on sending out the cover letter and resume directly. I was not allowed to ever see it. I figured for that price, I should at least be able to take possession of the work for future use myself.
Old 01-19-14, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

That's B.S.! How inconvenient is that to deal with every time you locate a job you want to apply for online?
Old 01-19-14, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to look at a lot of resumes. When I look at them I am required by my employer (because they don't want to be sued) to be looking for specific things. So the best resume, to me, is one that addresses the specific elements I am looking for-- those are pretty much always listed in the job description. If you address those, I HAVE to interview you. Anything that is not in the resume needs to be clear in the cover letter. Seriously, I sometimes have 50 or more resumes to look at, so I want to eliminate you because I don't want to do more than 4-6 interviews.

So, use a resume service as a start, but you are responsible for what you are submitting, and it is all about getting an interview, so don't just send that out and think it's good enough, look at the job you are applying for, and tell people why they should talk to you more, don't expect them to get you the job.
Old 01-20-14, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
I looked into it when I wanted to change jobs. What turned me away was that they insisted on sending out the cover letter and resume directly. I was not allowed to ever see it. I figured for that price, I should at least be able to take possession of the work for future use myself.
The chances of me letting someone else submit my resume without me ever having seen it are less than zero.

Resume services can be good or irrelevant. If you don't write well, or have minimal experience writing resumes, then they can probably help. They are probably not worth much for specialized fields; hopefully you know more about your profession than they do.

I've interviewed hundreds of people over the years, and I've seen a lot of bad resumes. A couple of general tips:

1. A resume doesn't have to be one page, but it needs to be succinct. Bulleted lists are a must. Paragraph narratives don't get read. Really, I'm not that interested in you. Also, if you're a professional, feel free to leave off your high school burger slinging.

2. Objective statements are generally worthless. They can only hurt you. If your objective doesn't match the position, you have a big strike against you. If it matches, I skim it. It's not worth the space.

3. I don't really care about your hobbies. That makes for wonderful water cooler chat after you're hired. Don't waste the space.

4. Your resume should be tailored to the specific position. Your resume should be tailored to the specific position. Your resume should be tailored to the specific position.

5. Reuse the keywords from the position description in your resume. Resumes are often filtered by HR folks who have no idea what the position actually requires. Using keywords from the description enable them to easily check the box and move your resume forward. If the position says something like "Microsoft Office experience required," don't say "MS software," or "MS Word and Excel." Say "Microsoft Office."

6. The purpose of a resume is to get an interview, not to get hired. Everything you put in your resume should point to getting your foot in the door. I should come away from reading your resume with the impression that you are qualified for the job, and I should bring you in to talk further.

7. Proofread your resume. Then have someone else proofread it. Then proofread it again. You may think it's a myth that resumes with spelling and grammatical errors get tossed, but it's not. If you're a borderline interview, spelling mistakes push you to a "No." I expect the resume to be representative of the best you can do. Riddled with errors, especially ones that can be caught with a simple spell check, are unacceptable. If you're filling out an online form, write the text in a word processor first so you can spell and grammar check it.
Old 01-20-14, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
That's B.S.! How inconvenient is that to deal with every time you locate a job you want to apply for online?
Not to date myself but at that time, paper resumes were still all the rage