Reload this Page >

Anyone ever do Weight Watchers?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 01-11-13, 10:47 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

I know that I should have the discipline to eat better/less and exercise more; but the facts are that I don't have that discipline and that programs help a lot of people. Perhaps my OCD will sync with their point system or whatever it is they do; and I'll see results. I'm the heaviest I've ever been, about 245 pounds, and seriously need to do something now.

I just saw my brother-in-law from Louisiana for the first time in over a year. He joined Weight Watchers eighteen weeks ago and lost 43 pounds so far.

They have a deal going on this month where they waive the activation fee. The two main options appear to be an online only option for $19 a month, or a meetings/online option for $44 a month.

I went to a free meeting this morning. While I see the potential benefits of accountability and encouragement at them; I'm not sure the once a week I'll likely make it to a meeting being worth an extra $25 a month.

Any advice, tips, or past experiences?

And again; I know that I should be able to easily do this on my own, probably even being able to find all their material online and doing their system for free; but I have 35 years of having no discipline in this area, so probably need some kind of a system.
Old 01-11-13, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Anyone ever do Weight Watchers?

Surprisingly (to me) CNN rated it one of the better "diets" and the number 1 "easiest to follow".

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/0...iets-for-2012/

Couple things,

Your right. WW doesn't do anything you can't do on your own.
If you don't learn to eat right you will just gain it back once you go off the program. Or do you plan on staying on it forever?
Losing weight in and of itself does not = better health. It just makes you lighter. So be sure and ask yourself why you want to lose.

Check out the Biggest Loser thread we have going.
Old 01-11-13, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I never used it but Weight Watchers is great start because it isn't a fad diet thing. They simply put points on calories to make it easier to count your calories. Plus you go for a weigh in once a week to keep you motivated.

You don't need to stay on WW forever. Once you get the hang of eating healthier, it'll just become routine and you can do it on your own.
Old 01-11-13, 01:42 PM

Received 166 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm on Weight Watchers and I really like it. I've been on-and-off diets my entire life (40+ years). This is the first one I feel like I can do for the rest of my life. Since September 2012, I've lost 50+ pounds. But I'm morbidly obese and it's easier for me to drop large amounts of weight quickly. So don't expect the same results.

I'm doing the online version. I don't have any interest in going to meetings. The online tools are great and easy to use. There are also apps for phones and iPad which are convenient. The Weight Watchers site has message boards, tips, blogs, articles, etc to help you out. I weigh on my bathroom scale every week. I can do everything at home on my own. Some people need the meetings, but it's not for me. If you decide you want to go, you can always add them later.

The online version costs $19/month. When I joined, they charged for the first 3 months, so the initial charge was around $60. In addition to that, you'll probably want to pick-up a WW Points calculator ($10) and a food scale ($20 at Amazon). I know a lot of people balk at paying for a diet plan. But I definitely feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

The diet works by assigning points to each item. The points are calculated based on Fat, Carbs, Fiber and Protein. They give you a Daily Points allowance based on sex, age, weight and height. Being a big guy, I get a lot of points. You also get Weekly Points and Activity Points. It sounds complicated, but it's really simple.

I'm surprised that it's so easy to follow. I don't feel hungry. Actually for being on a diet, I eat a lot. I eat the same food as everyone else. I still eat out and order pizza. There's nothing that I can't have. I just control my portions and make smarter choices throughout the day. People that do Weight Watchers will tell you that it isn't a diet. And having done it for 4 months, I agree. The plan gives you structure and teaches you how to eat properly. I don't feel like I'm dieting.

So I highly recommend Weight Watchers. If you have any questions about it, let me know.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 01-11-13 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-11-13, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I know people who have done it and had great success. Then they gaied it all back because they did not learn anything, they just ate the food.

I have lost 20 lbs in the last 3 months just by watching portions size and exercising more.
Old 01-11-13, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never tried it but I know a few people who have used it for a while, liked it a lot, and gotten some results. Still, for free you might want to check out myfitnesspal.com. They have great, easy to use calorie and activity tracking tools, and there is a social component to the site that you can use as well, if you find that that sort of thing helps with accountability.

Although the fact that you actually pay money to Weight Watchers may be motivating in itself.
Old 01-11-13, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My niecve lost a bunch of weight with the online program and has kept it off a couple years. A former co-worker tried it in person and didn't have much luck, however she tried every diet or plan and none of them worked for her. And I agree with SD, join our Biggest Loser thread. We share ideas about diet and excercise that may help you.

Edited to add:

You should lose weight just from the excercise of opening all those Amazon packages of DVD's, no?
Old 01-11-13, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm not sure how much you're looking to lose. My wife would routinely go through phases where she'd put on 15 lbs, lose it through a diet, put it back on, lose it and so on. She did weight watchers and found that it was highly effective when you're on it, but since it focuses on quantity rather than quality, it wasn't really ideal. The system that's really worked for her is the 'shopping the perimeter' diet. That only really works if you're willing to commit to making your own meals, but she loves it and it's made both of us eat a lot healthier. If you can commit to that, it's a good way to go. If you just want to take a step towards it, she says she'd advise just buying the points system and sticking to it yourself rather than paying the monthly WW fee, with the goal of eventually moving to healthier eating instead of less eating. Hope that helps.
Old 01-11-13, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

My wife is a Weight Watcher and I do her.
Old 01-11-13, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try supergluing your lips together.
Old 01-11-13, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was successful with the program and lost 40 lbs. Problem is I didn't stay on it and ended up going back to my old eating habits and gained 25 back. Actually starting again tomorrow with the online version. The WW phone app makes it very easy to track your food. I think it is a great program because it allows you to eat what ever you would like as long as you stay within your point range. You are also allowed extra points each week so you can use that to splurge on a meal if you would like.
Old 01-11-13, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

WW is a great way to start a discipline. If you can master WW, you can move on to making your own meals, and exercising more. WW meals are a nice convenience, which is probably the reason why most people are fat in the first place -- they don't wanna cook ("don't have the time") and choose unhealthy fast foods.
Old 01-11-13, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I know that I should be able to easily do this on my own, probably even being able to find all their material online and doing their system for free
I wouldn't recommend using the unofficial WW stuff you find online. Most of the calculators are incorrect. And they changed the whole Points system in 2011. So a lot of the information is outdated.

If you're interested in doing WW, at least join for the initial period. Learn the program and get the calculator. Then you can try doing it on your own. But using those free tools you can find online is not the same.

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
WW is a great way to start a discipline. If you can master WW, you can move on to making your own meals, and exercising more. WW meals are a nice convenience, which is probably the reason why most people are fat in the first place -- they don't wanna cook ("don't have the time") and choose unhealthy fast foods.
Actually, the WW diet isn't about the prepackaged meals. It's not like Nutrisystem or Jenny Craig. On WW you eat normal food. Just figure out the points for each item, and limit yourself to your points allowance.
Old 01-11-13, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 102 Posts

I have belonged to Weight Watchers six times: in 1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1990, and 1996. It worked the first time. (Of course, I was fifteen years old and only had 25 pounds to lose ... those were the fucking DAYS. )

The program was a lot different in 1980. It was more of a support group. You went to the same class every week (mine was on Thursday nights) and really got to know the people who belonged. The diet back then was much more restrictive and there were a lot fewer options because the majority of "diet" foods that are around now weren't back then. So you had to improvise. I remember drinking those horrible Alba 77-calorie "milkshakes" that you made with three ice cubes, a half cup of skim milk, and an envelope full of the powder in a blender. My girlfriend Nancy and I learned that you could use a whole tray of ice cubes and get MORE milk shake--horribly diluted and even worse tasting, but what the hell! You got MORE!

Same with plain unflavored yogurt. Mix in a little Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix powder and voila, you could pour the whole wretched fucking cup of dreck on your "legal" vegetables.

Each time I have gone back, it has been more and more of an anonymous thing, people just rushing in and out. Sort of like a gay bathhouse.

It is a step up from the "toy food" programs like Jenny Craig and NutriSystem, but it's a shallow step, since Weight Watchers markets its "toy food" pretty aggressively too, you just aren't REQUIRED to use it like you are with the other ones.

If you don't know much about basic nutrition, Weight Watchers is a good place to start, but it won't keep the weight off unless you really make a change for good.

Last edited by Vibiana; 01-11-13 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-11-13, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am a lifetime member of WW, and I put on a lot of weight, because of stress and family problems and went back, right before Christmas, I do the on site meetings and pay in advance and it includes the on line tools. When I first went to WW, you could not eat anything, no rice, no potatoes, and you had to have liver once a week , but I got to goal and became a lifetime member, that means you never have to pay a registration fee, and if you are 1-2 pounds within goal you don't have to pay for meetings. With the new WW you can eat anything and you just have to figure out the points, and the books that you can purchase have the points value for everything including eating at restaurants and fast food places. I would go to the meetings for about a month, and once you get the hang of it you should be able to do it your self. Good Luck
Old 01-11-13, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I tried it and found it difficult to live within the point system. I am not sure if they changed it or not but they allowed the same point allottment for Men and Women. So in order to lose weight they have it geared to Women. I asked about it and their response was "Well you will just lose weight faster". Problem was I stayed hungry.

I am currently listening to the Audiobook of "The Wheat Belly". It makes some pretty interesting arguments that the problem with Obesity is Wheat.
Old 01-11-13, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by BKenn01 View Post
I tried it and found it difficult to live within the point system. I am not sure if they changed it or not but they allowed the same point allottment for Men and Women. So in order to lose weight they have it geared to Women. I asked about it and their response was "Well you will just lose weight faster". Problem was I stayed hungry.

I am currently listening to the Audiobook of "The Wheat Belly". It makes some pretty interesting arguments that the problem with Obesity is Wheat.
You guys on Weight Watchers used to piss me off. You got more food than we did and you usually dropped your whole sixty pounds down to goal in about three and a half weeks.
Old 01-12-13, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A friend of mine swears by it, she has lost close to 90 pounds in the last 2 or so years. I don't what will happen when she is off the program though.
Old 01-12-13, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BKenn01 View Post
They've changed it, I get I think 10 more points than if I was a woman. I lost 50 pounds on it, but put some back in December. I'm back on now, and going to keep going on it. As long as you put everything down, and don't go over your points, I think it works well, but it's not super fast (maybe at first but then it takes time). Basically, you can eat anything, you just have to figure out the points. It's pretty tough for the women in my office because they get so few points, but usually not too bad for me (I get like 20 points more than them, which is like 700 calories). I went from South Beach (lost 45 pounds there) to this one, and it was a whole lot less restrictive and a lot closer to something you could actually live with long-term. South Beach is kind of my jump start to get off my bad habits, but I can't really do it long term.
Old 01-12-13, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is just my own personal experience. When I was starting to lose weight, I went to two different meetings (because I didn't like the first and I wanted to give it a chance). In both meetings it was just people going around saying how hard it was to eat right and lose weight, and that was pretty much the whole meeting. I didn't want to go to meetings just to hear how hard it was to eat right or lose weight, so I decided it wasn't for me.
Old 01-12-13, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the input everyone! I went to their one-day event just now, found that their special promotion for the day was only an extra $5 off their starter kit of books, points calculator, coupons, DVD, etc.

The regular meeting was sort of meh for me as well Deb. It appears that most people go to the same meeting times each week, and could potentially form a nice little support group. But due to my work schedule, it is impossible for me to attend anything at the same time each week. I'd likely make a few random meetings a month, and I'm not sure if that is worth an extra $25 to me.

I'm going to sign up for the online only option for $19 a month. Since I'm addicted to my iPad and iPhone, the apps there should keep me on track. It's a three month $ commitment to waive the enrollment fee, and I like to get my money's worth, so hopefully I'll go all in for 90 days here.

I'll definitely join our Biggest Loser thread here as well. Thanks again everyone.

Edit to add: I should have waited until after the NFL playoffs and all that junk food to join....
Old 01-12-13, 12:18 PM

The regular meeting was sort of meh for me as well Deb. It appears that most people go to the same meeting times each week, and could potentially form a nice little support group. But due to my work schedule, it is impossible for me to attend anything at the same time each week. I'd likely make a few random meetings a month, and I'm not sure if that is worth an extra $25 to me.
Check out the WW Goad Forum (Guys on a Diet). It's a lot like a support group with the same people posting every day. They do weigh-ins, fitness challenges and all kinds of stuff.

I'm going to sign up for the online only option for $19 a month. Since I'm addicted to my iPad and iPhone, the apps there should keep me on track.
If you use the iPhone & iPad apps, you probably won't need the points calculator. But if you decide to buy one (or any of the WW stuff), get it from the local WW store or meeting site. The online store charges $8+ for shipping. And I saw lower prices at my local WW store.

You should definitely consider getting a kitchen scale. I bought this one for $20 at Amazon. It's convenient, simple to use and doesn't take up much room. When I started using a scale, I found out all my previous estimations were way off. Now I feel much better about my diet knowing that my portions are the proper size. And knowing the exact weight helps you figure out the points.

http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-...dp/B003E7AZQA/
Old 01-14-13, 04:23 PM

Trevor-

About the only thing I can add to this (as I've been in and out of WW too), is I hope you have a lot of support at home. If not, it'll be tough. I've always done it by myself, and family/friends sabotage things more than you realize. And I personally never found the support at the meetings to be too substantial.
Old 01-14-13, 04:58 PM

I'd likely make a few random meetings a month, and I'm not sure if that is worth an extra $25 to me.

I'm going to sign up for the online only option for $19 a month. Since I'm addicted to my iPad and iPhone, the apps there should keep me on track. It's a three month $ commitment to waive the enrollment fee, and I like to get my money's worth, so hopefully I'll go all in for 90 days here.

I'll definitely join our Biggest Loser thread here as well. Thanks again everyone.

Edit to add: I should have waited until after the NFL playoffs and all that junk food to join....
Changed my mind and did the full monthly pass. Figured if I'm going "all in" I might as well give myself every chance to succeed.

But I did "cheat" and not join until today, giving myself the weekend to gorge on all the junk food in my house during the NFL playoffs.

Somehow lost three pounds, which is impossible, so now I know the scales at my local WW are screwed up.
Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
If you use the iPhone & iPad apps, you probably won't need the points calculator. But if you decide to buy one (or any of the WW stuff), get it from the local WW store or meeting site. The online store charges $8+ for shipping. And I saw lower prices at my local WW store.

You should definitely consider getting a kitchen scale. I bought this one for $20 at Amazon. It's convenient, simple to use and doesn't take up much room. When I started using a scale, I found out all my previous estimations were way off. Now I feel much better about my diet knowing that my portions are the proper size. And knowing the exact weight helps you figure out the points.

http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-...dp/B003E7AZQA/
Thanks. I bought their welcome kit which included a points calculator. I'll be shopping for a scale for sure.

Now that I'm signed up and able to access all the e-tools, I'm a bit disappointed in them. Was hoping to see more items from grocery stores and restaurants preprogrammed in, but it looks like I'll be using the points calculator or searching for better cheat sheets often.
Originally Posted by Russell S View Post
Trevor-

About the only thing I can add to this (as I've been in and out of WW too), is I hope you have a lot of support at home. If not, it'll be tough. I've always done it by myself, and family/friends sabotage things more than you realize. And I personally never found the support at the meetings to be too substantial.
Thanks. I think I'm good at home, as the wife and daughter both eat better than me, and are always nagging me to eat healthier. Jen doesn't like to cook much, and neither do I, so I think I'll be relying on a lot of the Healthy Choice and type meals until we learn. I'm hoping to get out of the meetings and go online only after a month or three; hoping the various meetings I go to give me some support and good ideas to get me settled into new routines.
Old 01-14-13, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^When I lost weight on Atkins I was surprised how often people would encourage me to eat foods i shouldn't eat. I usually cheated 3 times a year; birthday, Thanksgiving day and Christmas. But eventually I gave in and did more and the weight slowly came back on.

If I were an alcoholic I'd have really been in trouble.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.