Reload this Page >

Biggest Loser 2013 - Health and Nutrition edition

Other Talk "Otterville"

Biggest Loser 2013 - Health and Nutrition edition

Old 01-08-13, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Biggest Loser 2013 - Health and Nutrition edition

i've just been switching from my holiday "diet" to my regular diet of 2011. cut down on portions, cut out some of the junk.

i'm down three pounds in the last 8 days according to the scale this morning. i'd like to lose about 20 more, but i want to get ten gone before i start exercising again. losing 20 would get me to my ideal weight i think based on the amount of muscle on my body. ten i'd look pretty toned but not perfect.
Old 01-08-13, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Well I'm just surprised you could lose 10lbs of it in 72 hrs. If true, doesn't seem healthy or sustainable.
It doesnt have to be sustainable.. alot of times a diet like this is specifically for dropping weight quick when you have to make weight... like when military have their weigh in.. or an athlete weighing in, and wanting to fight in a lower weight class.

I remember my dad taking 'water pills' when i was younger, which would make him pee alot, a day or two before physical tests.. to bring his weight down a few pounds prior to having to weigh in.
Old 01-09-13, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not a fan of specific diets. But can understand/see the benefit for some.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/08/health...ml?hpt=hp_bn12

Most of these top rated ones are pretty common sense.
Old 01-12-13, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm 6 months into a low carb diet and down over 60 pounds. I feel great, have lots of energy and I'm never all that hungry. I cook most of my own food from fresh ingredients. I don't see any reason to go back to sugar and grains. I'm in it for the long haul.
Old 01-12-13, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

First 5k race of the new year. Daughter running with me and thinks she might be able to beat me....hehehe
Old 01-12-13, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by focker View Post
I'm 6 months into a low carb diet and down over 60 pounds. I feel great, have lots of energy and I'm never all that hungry. I cook most of my own food from fresh ingredients. I don't see any reason to go back to sugar and grains. I'm in it for the long haul.
The best i ever did was 35lbs on the Atkins diet in 2001. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get it work since. It was a shame too. I never really had any cravings for carbs while i was on it but the constant nagging from family and co-workers about just a little won't hurt me eventually got me back into eating too many carbs.

Hurt my shoulder so I taking my day off today instead of tomorrow. Weighed in at 192 again yesterday so at least I didn't gain this week
Old 01-12-13, 10:25 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 142 Likes on 107 Posts

Have always been a bit overweight, but always thought I was one good lifestyle change from losing 20 pounds and being back to healthy. Well, ignoring this for several years and gaining a few pounds per year suddenly puts me 50 or so pounds overweight, with knees that ache when I walk on stairs and high blood pressure. I have to do something now before it's too late. At an all-time high of 245# right now. Signing up for Weight Watchers online version. Got some books/tools and downloaded the apps.

Might wait until Monday to officially start; as the NFL playoff weekend and a couple days worth of cleaning out the pantry of "bad food" is my likely immediate future. I know, I know, but I'm definitely doing this.
Old 01-12-13, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Fuck. I'm trying to put on 10 pounds of "winter weight" to stay warm during these cold months, and even after gorging myself on food, turns out I lost 5 pounds just this week. WTF?
Old 01-12-13, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am joining the wait-loss wagon after a 4 year hiatus. Back then I had dropped from 185 to around 165. But since then I have gone up to about 195.

My plan is simple. I will reduce calorie intake and increase calories expended:
- Switch from soda, wine and beer to water
- Cut coffee back to 1 cup/day.
- Stop snacking on junk food. Switch to fruit/veggies for snacking.
- Reduce portion size for lunch and dinner.
- Walk on the treadmill at home. Walk around campus at work.
Old 01-12-13, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Fuck. I'm trying to put on 10 pounds of "winter weight" to stay warm during these cold months, and even after gorging myself on food, turns out I lost 5 pounds just this week. WTF?
Fuck. You.

Old 01-12-13, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Have always been a bit overweight, but always thought I was one good lifestyle change from losing 20 pounds and being back to healthy. Well, ignoring this for several years and gaining a few pounds per year suddenly puts me 50 or so pounds overweight, with knees that ache when I walk on stairs and high blood pressure. I have to do something now before it's too late. At an all-time high of 245# right now. Signing up for Weight Watchers online version. Got some books/tools and downloaded the apps.

Might wait until Monday to officially start; as the NFL playoff weekend and a couple days worth of cleaning out the pantry of "bad food" is my likely immediate future. I know, I know, but I'm definitely doing this.
If you want to snack during the games, pick out a couple things, one for first half, one for second. Take some reasonable portions and put the bag away. It's the sitting there with a bag open that is worse than a small snack. I can eat the better part of a bag or a box if I'm eating straight from it.
Old 01-13-13, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone recommend a light weight, travel, strap system? Like TRX? It would be used almost exclusively anchored to a door.

Last two times I traveled out of town, I joined gyms, but the weight area sucked. So I'd like something I can do in my hotel room. I have a set of traveling push-up bars. So ill start packing thise. I'd like it to all fit in my gym bag.
Old 01-13-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just going to just to Insanity in the hotel. Easier than having to drag more crap with me.

I really screwed up my shoulder Friday morning. I was going to take Saturday off instead of Sunday. I ended up taking both off. I was working around the house yesterday and found myself needing to do do things left handed. I have a physical scheduled this Friday anyway so I'll wait and see how it feels then.
Old 01-13-13, 06:09 PM

Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts

Anyone have some favorite recipe sites for healthy cooking? Here's a couple I use, but I'm hoping to find some more.

http://www.snack-girl.com/
http://www.skinnytaste.com/
http://greenlitebites.com/
http://www.theyummylife.com/
http://www.emilybites.com/
Old 01-14-13, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
Anyone have some favorite recipe sites for healthy cooking? Here's a couple I use, but I'm hoping to find some more.
corrie has a bunch.. ill ask her or some examples later
i know she likes to get recipes from emeals though
Old 01-14-13, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by twikoff View Post
looks like i will be jumping back on board
a few years back, i posted in one of the previous threads after letting myself get up to 217.. through diet and exercise, i was able to get back down to 168 (I'm 6' 1")..
i maintained for a few years around 180 (my comfortable weight).
Ive let myself go too much in the past year and it time to get back in gear..
the other day i weighed in at 216.8 (so close to an all time high)...
Im also getting annoyed by breathing a bit hard after going up stairs.. so I really have to get back into better shape..
I havent decided on which diet/exercise plans Im going to follow yet.. Ill probably just track calories and start off with the treadmill, while I decide.
just a quick check in..
Dec 29th - 216.8
didnt actually start trying until the first..
Jan 1st - 213.2
Jan 14th - 202

down 14.8 since my high... 11.2 in the past 2 weeks of actually working at it.
Just watching my calories & hitting the treadmill.. some moderate weights, but pretty minimal (planning to pick up on this eventually, just havent yet)..
Goal weight is 170, but Im pretty happy at 180...

although Im probably past the easy weight, and now I expect the loss to slow down significantly going forward.
Old 01-14-13, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Must have been during the high plank, low blank portion of insanity I did something to my shoulder. That's where you go from a full pushup position to down on your elbows for you unfamiliar with Insanity. It's bad. Still sore 3 days later. No range of motion and can't do a pushup or even benchpress 35lbs. I can go for short runs to keep from being totally sedentary but boy is this disappointning. Hurts just to put a jacket on
Old 01-14-13, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk God

corrie has a bunch.. ill ask her or some examples later
i know she likes to get recipes from emeals though
From Corrie -

Skinnytaste.com and emilybites.com are very good.

budgetbytes.blogspot.com
hungrygirl.com
cookinglight.com

I do like http://emeals.com/. I think it's pretty reasonable and have found that I like having someone else come up with a menu plan for us. We usually have 5 of the 7 dinners each week when subscribed. It's $15 for 3 months.

Last edited by twikoff; 01-15-13 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-14-13, 08:41 PM

Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts

budgetbytes.blogspot.com
hungrygril.com
cookinglight.com
Thanks. Those look good. Especially that Budget Bytes blog.
Old 01-14-13, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I think it's time for me to go back to the watching my weight philosophy. Well watching it go down as opposed to up

Anyhow I'm at 280ish now. I'm 6'2" so it's not that obvious that I'm overweight, but I know it and that's bad enough. That and my son will be two in a few months, and I want to be able to keep up with him.

I don't get enough exercise, I know that much. Outside of work and watching my son, my exercise is walking around a store or to and from a parking space

I don't have any problem running around or walking other than its not as easy as when I was 10 years younger (I'm 34 now).

I don't eat sweets, or chow down on junk food. I do drink a few cans of soda a day but I drink water as well. I have been eating out more often lately instead of bringing a lunch, though.

So where do I start? Any advice?

Oh and I don't have a real firm goal weight other than anywhere around say 250 would be great. Maybe 225-230 as a long term goal.
Old 01-15-13, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post

Oh and I don't have a real firm goal weight other than anywhere around say 250 would be great. Maybe 225-230 as a long term goal.
Well why do you want to lose weight? Assuming for better health, than you have to attack from two fronts; food and exercise.

Food, im a big believer in going slow, small steps. For example, if you drink three cokes a day, switch to 2 for a week or two, then switch to 1, then a couple weeks later switch to none. Do the same with food. Slowly drop calories and crappy food aver time. Not overnight. I use an app on my phone to track.

Exercise, the best exercise is the one you do. The one you do consistently. Though I recommend not getting to hung up on cardio only. Building (or maintaining) muscle will really improve your health and help with weight loss.

If you want to run, check out the C25k program. If you like really swithing things up, check out HIIT or crossfit type stuff. I'm a big believer in joining a gym. However, there are a lot of fantastic programs that you don't need a gym for.

Like the eating though, I wouldn't jump in trying to do an intense hour workout every day. Start slow. Build up.

Remember, you didn't gain that weight overnight, your not going to lose it overnight. And you really want life time changes. Not "one and done".
Old 01-15-13, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it's time for me to go back to the watching my weight philosophy. Well watching it go down as opposed to up

Anyhow I'm at 280ish now. I'm 6'2" so it's not that obvious that I'm overweight, but I know it and that's bad enough. That and my son will be two in a few months, and I want to be able to keep up with him.

I don't get enough exercise, I know that much. Outside of work and watching my son, my exercise is walking around a store or to and from a parking space

I don't have any problem running around or walking other than its not as easy as when I was 10 years younger (I'm 34 now).

I don't eat sweets, or chow down on junk food. I do drink a few cans of soda a day but I drink water as well. I have been eating out more often lately instead of bringing a lunch, though.

Tracking calories is the best thing to do to start imo. Even before you diet. Just see how many calories per day you are eating. My guess is it is somewhere between 3500-4000 at that weight (on average, might be more or less on any given day). Then cut that back to 3,000 for a month, then 2000. Then add exercise. That should get you down to around 220 in 5-6 months easy.
Old 01-15-13, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I havent posted in here because I started at the beginning of last year and never came back. But I started again this year and myfitnesspal has been great. The app is AWESOME.
Old 01-15-13, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020 View Post
I havent posted in here because I started at the beginning of last year and never came back. But I started again this year and myfitnesspal has been great. The app is AWESOME.
it is the best thing... i have lost over 52 lbs using myfitnesspal... its so easy and recommended now by consumer reports...

its just a diary and a way to connect with other users... its the best thing out right now
Old 01-15-13, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
it is the best thing... i have lost over 52 lbs using myfitnesspal... its so easy and recommended now by consumer reports...

its just a diary and a way to connect with other users... its the best thing out right now
The recipe builder on the app, and the barcode scanner have made tracking what I eat MUCH less tedious. When tracking what I eat is easy then I don't skip doing it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.