Reload this Page >

Biggest Loser 2013 - Health and Nutrition edition

Other Talk "Otterville"

Biggest Loser 2013 - Health and Nutrition edition

Old 02-14-13, 06:58 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Biggest Loser 2013 - Health and Nutrition edition

Another thing about rapid weight loss that many people aren't aware of is that it kills your gallbladder. Its very common for a person who has lost weight very quickly to develop gallstones and then need to have their gallbladder removed.

That happened to me back in 2004 when I lost about 200 lbs in one year. Then in 2005 I got gallstones, and the doctor told me the reason was because of my rapid weight loss.
Old 02-14-13, 07:09 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

I'm finding another disadvantage of this weight loss: my clothes aren't fitting well. But it's balanced out by the fact that my wedding ring keeps flying off so I'm single again ladies!
Old 02-15-13, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I'm finding another disadvantage of this weight loss: my clothes aren't fitting well. But it's balanced out by the fact that my wedding ring keeps flying off so I'm single again ladies!

Old 02-15-13, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm freaking up 2.6 this week. Wiped out two weeks of losses. According to MFP I was on track for a loss. No days where I was over big time or anything. I'm know these things are perfect. I don't weigh the banana before I eat it. I really try to overestimate the calories and underestimate the excercise.
Old 02-15-13, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh, in the past 1-2 weeks I've gained 1 lb from 115.5 lbs working out 15 hours a week and eating 1600 a day That's how it works. Then one day, boom, 113-114.
Old 02-15-13, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Deb you have to come to Rochester and be my persoanl trainer for a few months. Doing anything say March thru June?
Old 02-15-13, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We may be able to work something out if Trevor doesn't work out
Old 02-15-13, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
I'm freaking up 2.6 this week. Wiped out two weeks of losses. According to MFP I was on track for a loss. No days where I was over big time or anything. I'm know these things are perfect. I don't weigh the banana before I eat it. I really try to overestimate the calories and underestimate the excercise.
Do you weight yourself at the same time each day? Is your scale both accurate and precise (most are neither)? Clothes or nekkid? Empty bowels?

I gain three lbs by the end of the day, sure as clockwork. And then when I wake up it's gone.
Old 02-15-13, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Do you weight yourself at the same time each day? Is your scale both accurate and precise (most are neither)? Clothes or nekkid? Empty bowels?

I gain three lbs by the end of the day, sure as clockwork. And then when I wake up it's gone.
Same way every time. In the morning, after I work out, after my morning constitutional, before I get in the shower
Old 02-15-13, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What scale do you have? I had a cheap Ikea one and it was totally fucking useless. I could step on it five times in a row and it'd be off by five lbs every time.

I bought an Ozeri that is about .3 lbs away from the beam balance scale I use at the gym.

http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Precisio...keywords=ozeri
Old 02-15-13, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It has never given me any reason to doubt its reliability. I can step on it 20 times and it will jump right back to the same weight
Old 02-15-13, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Could be water weight or just a fluke.

My weight is lowest Sunday, then it stays low Monday and Tuesday, Jumps up Wednesday-Friday, then back down on Saturday then lowest again Sunday. My body has done this EVERY week since I started.
Old 02-15-13, 12:46 PM

I've always heard that weight fluctuates several pounds, even if you follow the same routine. Personal preference, but I'm trying to only weigh myself once a week and only worry about trends over multiple weeks. I feel like I'd read too much into daily changes.

And speaking of routines, the talk of morning showers and constitutionals by you men is ruining my mental image of working out with GatorDeb.
Old 02-15-13, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well Trevor if you're not taking any constitutionals I think we figured out why you're gaining weight.
Old 02-15-13, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
It has never given me any reason to doubt its reliability. I can step on it 20 times and it will jump right back to the same weight
1st, don't let one (or even a couple) readings freak you out. It happens. You want trends, not one reading (positive or negative).

2nd, even by chance you didn't lose for a bit or even gained a couple, if you are exercising you WILL be healthier. While I don't discourage people from losing weight (I've lost) the real goal should be better health. Which doesn't always = weight loss or every time.

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020 View Post
Could be water weight or just a fluke.

My weight is lowest Sunday, then it stays low Monday and Tuesday, Jumps up Wednesday-Friday, then back down on Saturday then lowest again Sunday. My body has done this EVERY week since I started.
Exactly...nothing to get excited about.

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I've always heard that weight fluctuates several pounds, even if you follow the same routine. Personal preference, but I'm trying to only weigh myself once a week and only worry about trends over multiple weeks. I feel like I'd read too much into daily changes.

And speaking of routines, the talk of morning showers and constitutionals by you men is ruining my mental image of working out with GatorDeb.
Yup...I wait a few weeks before changing up. But then if I don't get the results I want, I will make minor changes.
Old 02-16-13, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah he might have ate something that's making him retain water. Or he's got a monster shit coming.
Old 02-16-13, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
Today: 181 lbs. 14 pounds down, 21 to go.
Today: 178 lbs. 17 pounds down, 18 to go.

I'm using a Tanita digital scale that gives weight in 0.2lb increments. It also estimates BMI, using the electric current method, and % water weight. According to the scale, my BMI is 23%. I think it was around 27-28% when I started. I've read mixed reviews about its BMI accuracy. Some say it is way off, others say it is accurate for them.
Old 02-17-13, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

AAAHHHH 114 lbs!!! Yeah!!!! Whoohoo!!

2 lbs heavier than lowest, 6.5 lbs to goal weight, 116 lbs lost, more than half weight. Just have to keep this up 6.5 more lbs and that's it, I can eat all the calories I burn. Whoohoo!! 7 weeks of eating 1600 a day and not 1 calorie more. This week I put in 17 hours and 22 minutes of swimming/biking/running/strength training.

I've been fighting cravings like crazy, but have not given in. When I get this close I always let it go Just have to keep my eye on the prize!!
Old 02-17-13, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

well.. corrie bought me a 6 month gym membership through a groupon deal
i went today and did the sign up, and was pretty underwelmed by their equipment.
plenty of treadmills, stair steppers, and cycles... but i have a treadmill at home and plan to stick with doing my cardio here..
the rest was mostly free weights... they were a few weight machines, that had 4 different workouts (one coming out each side)..

when i was regular with a gym years back.. i was very successful doing their circuit of weight machines.. that place had about 30-40 machines, and i would just hit each one for a set or two, then move on.. when i finished them all, i was done for the day..

this place.. im actually going to have to know what im doing... which is a shame, since i dont

planning to try and sneak over for a 30-40 min workout during my lunch hour each day.. any suggestions for a quick workout to maximize my time?
Old 02-17-13, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
AAAHHHH 114 lbs!!! Yeah!!!! Whoohoo!!

2 lbs heavier than lowest, 6.5 lbs to goal weight, 116 lbs lost, more than half weight. Just have to keep this up 6.5 more lbs and that's it, I can eat all the calories I burn. Whoohoo!! 7 weeks of eating 1600 a day and not 1 calorie more. This week I put in 17 hours and 22 minutes of swimming/biking/running/strength training.

I've been fighting cravings like crazy, but have not given in. When I get this close I always let it go Just have to keep my eye on the prize!!
Congrats!

I've been pretty good with my cravings all month until about two hours ago. Had plenty of points left for dinner and had a late lunch, even briefly thought of skipping most of dinner and going to bed, but something happened and I just had to stop at Taco Bell. Stayed relatively mild there with just three tacos, so still well within my points for the day; but then I got a chocolate craving and ate a few servings worth, going over my points for the first time in weeks. And tomorrow is weigh-in day.
Old 02-18-13, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's becoming very hard to do my bike rides without extra calories. I may be able to wing it this coming week at 70 miles but at 85/90/100 I'm gonna have to go over. 730 calories during a bike ride today Sunday (and you HAVE to to be able to do it).
Old 02-19-13, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whoever recommended C25K, thanks. I'm on week 7, ran over 2.5miles yesterday. My shin pain while running has vanished, and I could actually feel my body "activate" while I did the first lap.

Also the Zen Labs app gives me $1 amazon.ca GCs on occasion. I've made $5 so far.
Old 02-19-13, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Whoever recommended C25K, thanks. I'm on week 7, ran over 2.5miles yesterday. My shin pain while running has vanished, and I could actually feel my body "activate" while I did the first lap.

Also the Zen Labs app gives me $1 amazon.ca GCs on occasion. I've made $5 so far.
It's one of my favorite programs.

Be sure and get fitted for running shoes. I only do about 15 miles a week I've found shoes really do make a difference. I rotate between a couple of pairs. But really does help and make a difference.
Old 02-19-13, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Yeah, when my shins start hurting, I know it's time for new shoes. Soon as I put on a new pair, my shin splints "magically" disappear.
Old 02-19-13, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have both heavier cushioned shoes mainly for longer runs and very light weight more minimalist shoes I use for shorter runs. I feel the lighter shoes helps build strength. Plus the lower heal is good for lifting weights.

I track what shoes I'm wearing on my tracking program and rotate them out after 500 miles or so.

I usually buy last years models to save money, but I'm really drooling over those new Nike Flighknit Lunar 1+. But I normally buy two pairs for what those cost!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.