Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else a little 'OCD' about year end/beginning tasks/lists/resolutions?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-31-12, 02:34 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I get a little obsessive this time of year. I make resolutions that I know I probably won't keep; rush to make dental/doctor/eye appointments; buy books that I never read; buy planners and other organizational tools; try to use all the coupons that expire today; etc.

I spend all of 12/31/xx worried that I'm forgetting to finish something that needs finishing, either due to real expiration dates or mental compartmentalizing. And then spend all of 01/01/xx worried that I'm forgetting to start something that really needs started on the 1st.

Anyone else?
Old 12-31-12, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Anyone else a little 'OCD' about year end/beginning tasks/lists/resolutions?

Nope. Tomorrow is just another day. Same as yesterday. The only things that I rush to finish are work related because there are tax reasons for things to be done before the new year.
Old 12-31-12, 02:43 PM

Re: Anyone else a little 'OCD' about year end/beginning tasks/lists/resolutions?

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
The only things that I rush to finish are work related because there are tax reasons for things to be done before the new year.
Oh yeah! As far as taxes and investments go, what do I need to do today?

Charitable deductions must be dated this year to count for 2012; but IRA contributions for 2012 we have until the end of March, right? Anything else?
Old 12-31-12, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I was obsessing all day because I have to do the final tweak to exactly hit my target Roth Conversion for the year. It only requires me to know three things I can't really know:
1) Every other spec of income that will affect AGI on my income tax (so I don't go over Medicare penalty threshold)
2) What my conventional IRA will be worth in 10 minutes when the market closes (because I have to split into taxable and after-tax basis)
3) The closing price (in ten minutes) of the shares I will transfer.

But I'm calm now. The order is in and I either did it right or wrong. Will know in a few minutes. I HATE TAXES.

Edit: Nailed it at 0.026% under target (which is a maximum). Thank God I am an engineer where an OCD diagnosis is an entry requirement to the program. I love it when a plan comes together.

Last edited by OldDude; 12-31-12 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-31-12, 03:02 PM

^ I understood none of that. Now I'm panicking again.
Old 12-31-12, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, it is just another day of the week.
Old 12-31-12, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

DVDTalk might need a "One and Only OCD compilation thread" that records the various discussions of year-end activities, DVD shelving, and other topics.
Old 12-31-12, 07:45 PM
Banned

January 1st is just another day. Nothing really special about it. Get over it. Get shit done that needs to get done, don't dictate your life to something stupid like a holiday. Just get it done. If needs to get done...well shut the fuck up and just get it done.
Old 12-31-12, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm always weird about the end of the year. I spent today compiling a list of all the books I've read, organizing all the video photos I shot into a 2012 folder.

The worse thing is, there are a lot of important things I could have accomplished in the last week, but I put them all off, cause I feel "Well, the year is almost over. Anything I do now is kind of a waste, since it will soon be a new year and all the slates are clean."
Old 12-31-12, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not really but I did have the week before Christmas off and got a lot of monotonous shit/errands done. Haircut, eye exam, allergy checkup, renewed drivers license, paid car taxes, got an oil change, etc.
Old 12-31-12, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No. I never understood new year's resolutions.
Old 01-01-13, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No.

2012 totals
Bike: 238h 59m 02s - 3009.16 Mi
Run: 123h 45m 05s - 626.71 Mi
Swim: 161h 06m 01s - 296813.7 M
Strength: 89h 58m
Athletics: 31m 18s
Crosstrain: 2h 58m 28s
Spinning Class: 5h 30m 02s
TurboKick: 2h 00m
Walking: 52m 04s
Yoga: 2h 00m 10s
Zumba: 6h 54m 40s
Old 01-01-13, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just another day for me too. Groundhog Day. Which actually is not too bad a thing.
Old 01-01-13, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well in many circles you have health benefits that expire on December 31st, so you want to use all of those up
Old 01-01-13, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
DVDTalk might need a "One and Only Trevor OCD compilation thread" that records the various discussions of year-end activities, DVD shelving, and other topics.
Fixed.