Reload this Page >

Famous BBC childrens presenter presents PP for children to see

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 10-24-12, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This appears to be quite a scandal in the UK. It's a few weeks old, but I couldn't find a thread on it here.

After long time BBC presenter, charity celebrity and royal knight Sir Jimmy Savile died last year the BBC decided it was time to finally look into the persistent rumors that he had a thing for very young girls. They found roughly a dozen or so victims and witnesses who said he routinely had sexual contact with girls as young as 14. He would allegedly recruit girls from his BBC show audiences or invite them to tapings and initiate sexual contact backstage. He was also a regular visitor to girl reform schools where he would take several naughty girls on unsupervised trips in his Rolls Royce or bring them aboard the custom van he famously traveled around the country in.

The BBC reporters working on the story were miffed when it was killed after they say the producer required impossible standards to be met for it to be broadcast. Perhaps not coincidentally this was shortly before a big BBC tribute was scheduled to be aired celebrating Savile. The former police investigator who was working with the BBC program took his findings to rival ITV who were more than happy to broadcast the news. Now british police say they are looking into hundreds of allegations of abuse by Savile and the BBC is under fire for turning a blind eye to the rumors for decades and killing the recent investigation. The producer was suspended and the BBC now says they are cooperating with authorities on the Savile inquiry and inquiries into several other BBC employees.
Old 10-24-12, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Re: Famous BBC childrens presenter presents PP for children to see

The guy was always an utter weirdo. He lived in a penthouse apartment close to where i went to school as a child and i remember everyone thought that he was hiding something. As Ian Hislop said on a recent episode of "Have I Got News for You", great disguise....go around dressed as a pedophile to avert suspicion. Glad that he has gone and only a shame this all did not come out whilst he was still alive. Scumbag.
Old 10-24-12, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yikes

Old 10-24-12, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Now there's some British teeth for ya.
Old 10-24-12, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 342 Likes on 216 Posts

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2QsEWHzByOE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-24-12, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 473 Likes on 341 Posts

I have no idea who that guy is and I'm not saying the dude wasn't a freak. Possibly a child molester as well but is the BBC really getting criticized for wanting proof before they run a story that could end up ruining a man's life/reputation. Shouldn't we be criticizing ITV for happily airing a sensationalist story with nothing but accusations?
Old 10-24-12, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I have no idea who that guy is and I'm not saying the dude wasn't a freak. Possibly a child molester as well but is the BBC really getting criticized for wanting proof before they run a story that could end up ruining a man's life/reputation. Shouldn't we be criticizing ITV for happily airing a sensationalist story with nothing but accusations?
You can't ruin his life if he's already dead.
Old 10-24-12, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think they have to worry about ruining his life
Old 10-24-12, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 473 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
You can't ruin his life if he's already dead.
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
I don't think they have to worry about ruining his life
I was under the impression that these allegations had been around for some time, from before he died, and they were just now coming to light. Whether he was alive or dead before they refused to run the story is beside the point considering they have no proof.
Old 10-24-12, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Explains why so many of them end up abusing drugs and alcohol

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusive...xual-predators

http://21stcenturywire.com/2012/10/1...r-child-actor/
Old 10-24-12, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Damn, did not know about this. I only knew him from this vid which was linked a while back. He got some kid to visit the set of Empire Strikes Back.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f98TW0-_10c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-24-12, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I could only watch 40 seconds before bailing. I was afraid Mark Hamill was going to start molesting the boy right there on the picnic blanket.
Old 10-24-12, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was under the impression that these allegations had been around for some time, from before he died, and they were just now coming to light. Whether he was alive or dead before they refused to run the story is beside the point considering they have no proof.
Where exactly did you read that they have no proof? It only said that some BBC producer was using impossible standards as reason to kill the story. A dozen or so accounts from victims and witnesses sure as shit counts for something.
Old 10-24-12, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Damn, did not know about this. I only knew him from this vid which was linked a while back. He got some kid to visit the set of Empire Strikes Back.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f98TW0-_10c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
That was awkward...
Old 10-25-12, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle View Post
Where exactly did you read that they have no proof? It only said that some BBC producer was using impossible standards as reason to kill the story. A dozen or so accounts from victims and witnesses sure as shit counts for something.
You don't kill a story like this because of a celebrity. You kill a story like this because somebody in a high political office sends you a message.

Just my few pounds worth.
Old 10-27-12, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At last count he police say they have received complaints from more than 300 people of abuse by Savile. All but 4 were from women. Personally I'm a bit skeptical of the number just because this issue seems to breed a type of hysteria, but we will have to wait and see.

BBC is still in hot water over the cancellation of the investigation. The one person who could shed the most light on the decision, the producer who shut it down, isn't talking. He put up a blog post about his decision shortly after the ITV special aired but after 3 weeks the BBC issued a public correction on critical points of fact contained in it and the reporters involved say it was fundamentally misleading.

EDIT: I watched a BBC Panorama that focused mostly on the BBC investigation. It was interesting, but one thing I found funny was that they showed parts of the memorial/tribute shows the BBC broadcast. Obviously those shows included archive footage of Savile on his shows, usually surrounded by kids. The funny part was that when they showed clips of the tributes they blurred out all the kids faces from the archive footage being shown.

Last edited by wmansir; 10-27-12 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-27-12, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 128 Posts

Why do BBC children's show hosts always look so creepy?
Old 10-27-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
Why do BBC children's show hosts always look so creepy?
This perv is Canadian:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3TRBwKFfJv4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-28-12, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
This perv is Canadian:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3TRBwKFfJv4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Wow, how did they ever let that stuff continue and air?
Old 10-28-12, 07:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like Gary Glitter has also been named as part of teh investigation or at least caught up in the sweep.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lebrities.html
Old 10-28-12, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 153 Posts

That Canadian one is from a show called "Just Like Mom". I used to watch that as a kid. The grand prize was a trip to Camp Onondaga.
Old 10-28-12, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
That Canadian one is from a show called "Just Like Mom". I used to watch that as a kid. The grand prize was a trip to Camp Onondaga.
Where they were promptly molested by the Camp Counselors
Old 10-28-12, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

Savile must have been one hell of an accomplished child sex abuser, since The Vatican still has him on their Papal Honours list.
Old 10-28-12, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 279 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by rduncan View Post
Looks like Gary Glitter has also been named as part of teh investigation or at least caught up in the sweep.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lebrities.html
you don't say
Old 10-29-12, 01:06 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Is he Nigel Lythgoe's dad?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.