Reload this Page >

I am hiring a nanny. Oh boy.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-07-12, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So our son, Alexander Ethan, was born on August 7th and my wife has been off on maternity leave since then. She goes back to work beginning in November and, unfortunately with student loans and expenses, it would not be financially feasible for her to be a stay at home mom. As such, we have decided to hire a nanny. I've read up on the pros and cons and think it is a lot better than a daycare situation. We are using a nanny agency for placement, but I was wondering if anyone here has any personal experience with nannies.

And yes, I was thinking of seeing if I could pee in their butt during the interview process, but I don't think I would want someone who actually let me do that looking after my child. Although it is Vegas...

Edit: oops, his birthday is actually August 7th.

Last edited by Hadrian7; 10-07-12 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-07-12, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: I am hiring a nanny. Oh boy.

the guiltier the better.
Old 10-07-12, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Be sure to ask them, "Has a child ever been hurt while in your care?"

If they answer, "Define 'hurt'." don't hire them.
Old 10-07-12, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you have really good jobs, right? Because if you're hiring a nanny, they are going to draw off a ton of your income. In AZ, you can write off $3000/year in childcare. But that's not much.

So if you're laying down $15 or $20 per hour for a nanny, I assume you're making $35+ per hour at your normal job. Going by AZ's rule, you're really only deflecting around $1000 (which is in turn collectively paid by taxpayers).

Just sayin'. You might want to do the math. Hope you guys are doing awesome at your jobs.
Old 10-07-12, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Make sure to ask them if they have any tattoos.
Old 10-07-12, 10:51 PM
Banned by request

Make sure the candidates come down to one really smoking hot girl and one very cute girl. That way, you can take the high road of not hiring the smoking hot one and score points with your wife while still getting some decent eye candy out of it.
Old 10-07-12, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nothing to contribute but my birthday is August 8th. Congrats on the kid and hot nanny!
Old 10-07-12, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got resumes and references I'm going over currently. Going to narrow it down to a half dozen candidates and do interviews this week. Financially, getting a tax break in my bracket is the furthest thing from my mind. I will have to look at some money and tax software now though. By the way, does this make me a small business owner now?
Old 10-07-12, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you ever want to run for public office, remember to file schedule H
Old 10-07-12, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ever think about getting an Au Pair instead? I think you only pay them minimum wage. Some of them can be hot. Or cute. Depending on your preferences.
Old 10-08-12, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
Make sure to ask them if they have any tattoos.
Don't worry. If they're Black, he wont see them.
Old 10-08-12, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So just my really rough estimate...

One Year's Wages: $30,000
Payroll Tax @ $30k: $4500

It's possible that your nanny would just take a W-1099 from you. But I don't think that they would take any less than $35k a year 'out the door'. Maybe I'm way off on what a nanny makes.

Because you can't write off childcare over $3000 (in AZ, at least), that means that it's going to take approximately $45,000 of your total income (pre-tax) just to pay for a nanny.

In comparison, a place like Tutor Time costs around $200/wk, with lower rates during the summer. That brings you to around $10k/year to use a place like that.
Old 10-08-12, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hadrian7 View Post
I've got resumes and references I'm going over currently. Going to narrow it down to a half dozen candidates and do interviews this week. Financially, getting a tax break in my bracket is the furthest thing from my mind. I will have to look at some money and tax software now though. By the way, does this make me a small business owner now?
Speaking of, I'd talk to a small business tax advisor and see if you can integrate your nanny with your other expenses. Because you might be able to use your typical expenses (which add up rather fast) for a deduction. Basically, you'd be going into business for yourself and then hiring a person to take care of your kid so you could operate your business.
Old 10-08-12, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Wait, what? Maybe I am obtuse but I do not get this comment at all. Please enlighten me if you could.
Old 10-08-12, 05:01 AM
Suspended

?
Old 10-08-12, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by GMan2819 View Post
Ever think about getting an Au Pair instead? I think you only pay them minimum wage. Some of them can be hot. Or cute. Depending on your preferences.
This, except I am serious. Au Pairs are awesome, especially if you want your child to learn other languages.

http://www.culturalcare.com/costs/program-costs.aspx
Old 10-08-12, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe if they hire Shaq as a nanny

Old 10-08-12, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Your wife must be getting paid very well if it's more cost effective to have her work, and hire a nanny, rather than let her stay home with the child.

What about YOUR income? Do you cost less than a nanny?
Old 10-08-12, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love how everyone assumes that if you're on Otter, there's no way you could make enough to pay a nanny. Don't you know everyone here makes $500,000 a year?
Old 10-08-12, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't gotten my check.
Old 10-08-12, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hadrian7 View Post
Wait, what? Maybe I am obtuse but I do not get this comment at all. Please enlighten me if you could.
It's from a comment in the tattoo thread.
Old 10-08-12, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I love how everyone feels the need to comment on the OP's income or counsel him on how much a nanny is going to cost. Uh, folks, I think he probably knows at this point.

FWIW, I went the daycare route, not the nanny route, for various reasons. I prefer to select a good daycare and let the professional director of the center be responsible for hiring people for that position, rather than me do the hiring. And I prefer to let them have to figure out coverage if someone calls in sick or quits unexpectedly. It is a cheaper than a nanny but at $1500/mo it isn't cheap. But there are advantages to a nanny: you get more control over your child's "curriculum", you still have care when your child is sick, etc. Some friends hired a nanny through care.com; they probably have some on-line resources for making this decision. I do believe that if they are full time, they are an employee and you have to pay all the required taxes. Don't ruin your future political career by paying them under the table.

As for au pairs, they are another option, but you have to provide them with housing (maybe some of you assume nanny means "live in nanny" but it doesn't); I personally don't want a "roommate" (even a young hot french one). Plus, au pairs have varying degrees of skill with children. Some friends are on their second au pair. The first was awesome, she kept their daughter entertained and was a member of the family. The new one (they only can stay for a year) isn't nearly as natural with kids, is less a member of the family than an employee and wants very much to "clock out" when her 40 hours are up.

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
Your wife must be getting paid very well if it's more cost effective to have her work, and hire a nanny, rather than let her stay home with the child.
Apparently, you don't understand that the calculation is more complex than that. The return on my wife's income is pretty small (ie the effective hourly wage is shit) and you'd probably say "why is your wife working then?" But even considering the poor return, we couldn't possibly survive on my income alone, so a poor hourly wage is better than no income at all.
Old 10-08-12, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

LurkerDan gave a pretty good summary. The biggest problem with nannies that I've seen is turnover and vacation/sick time. It's also a bigger pain to deal with the taxes - if the nanny works at your home, you have to pay FICA. Daycare takes care of those issues for you.

I've seen some friends get au pairs that would okay to good. I've also seen friends get au pairs that are batshit crazy and that I wouldn't let within 50 yards of my child. Nannies are generally interested in child care, au pairs may or may not be. I don't trust the screening agencies, either.
Old 10-08-12, 01:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Make sure the candidates come down to one really smoking hot girl and one very cute girl. That way, you can take the high road of not hiring the smoking hot one and score points with your wife while still getting some decent eye candy out of it.
This. Fool your wife. Fuck the cute girl too. Or just keep her as eye candy and just fill the cup every once in a while.
Old 10-08-12, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nanny rates around the US must vary, I was listening in on a conversation while sitting at a bar in Hershey PA about a girl who got a nanny job. Apparently she was making so much she could afford a $2500 per month condo (That is a lot in Central PA), 1200 car payment and all the fixins. Apparently this job ended when the child told the parents that he did not like the nanny anymore and the girl got canned, now she was scrambling not to get evicted and loosing her car.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.