Old 10-14-12, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Skydiver will attempt to break the sound barrier

833.9 MPH

Mach 1.24
Old 10-14-12, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just got home in time to see about the last 20 minutes of ascent and the jump. Really enjoyed it, very cool to watch. I honestly expected something unfortunate to happen, very glad it didn't happen that way though.
Old 10-14-12, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
833.9 MPH

Mach 1.24
wow. the stuff on screen was wrong. i only saw it get to 738 or so.
Old 10-14-12, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Any video highlights? I missed it.
Old 10-14-12, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bdshort View Post
He did it! 833 mph or mach 1.2!

Unbelievable!

Press conference is ongoing ATM.
lol he didn't do it. They're just putting their spin on it, so that it doesn't look like a failed attempt.
Old 10-14-12, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind View Post
lol he didn't do it. They're just putting their spin on it, so that it doesn't look like a failed attempt.
Are you serious? Why do you say that? There is no reason for them to do that. Their main, primary objective was to parachute higher than anyone else. This was done and not in dispute.

They simply also noted and predicted several other "possible" records. Breaking the sound barrier, longest free fall (which they said he did not make) and something else, but I don't remember. But those were just sort of the icing on the cake (if they happened). The main objective was the distance/height which I don't think there is a question about.
Old 10-14-12, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk God

highest balloon ride was one that he broke.
Old 10-14-12, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Are you serious? Why do you say that? There is no reason for them to do that. Their main, primary objective was to parachute higher than anyone else. This was done and not in dispute.

They simply also noted and predicted several other "possible" records. Breaking the sound barrier, longest free fall (which they said he did not make) and something else, but I don't remember. But those were just sort of the icing on the cake (if they happened). The main objective was the distance/height which I don't think there is a question about.
As deftones has mentioned, the meter on the screen never even came close to the speed that they are claiming.
Old 10-14-12, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm assuming they had more accurate data than the live telemetry. And he had 7,000 more feet than expected to get there, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.
Old 10-14-12, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As deftones has mentioned, the meter on the screen never even came close to the speed that they are claiming.
None of the new marks set by Baumgartner can be classed as "official" until endorsed by the Federation Aeronautique Internationale (FAI).

Its representative was the first to greet the skydiver on the ground. GPS data recorded on to a microcard in the Austrian's chest pack will form the basis for any height and speed claims that are made.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19943590

FAI update...
Brian Utley of the FAI, the international federation that certifies aerospace records, told reporters at a news conference that according to a preliminary analysis, Mr. Baumgartner reached a maximum speed of 833.9 mph during his jump from more than 24 miles over the New Mexico desert. That is a speed of Mach 1.24.

Mr. Utley, who was here to independently evaluate data from Mr. Baumgartner’s suit, said the final figures might be slightly different after a thorough analysis of the data over the next several weeks, but that there was no doubt Mr. Baumgartner reached a record-breaking supersonic speed.

The speed was even higher than what was predicted by Red Bull Stratos engineers. They had expected Mr. Baumgartner to reach perhaps 720 m.p.h., or Mach 1.1, in a region of the stratosphere where the speed of sound is close to 690 m.p.h.

Mr. Utley found that the jump began from an altitude of 128,100 feet, or 24.2 miles, and that the free fall extended for 119,846 feet — both records.

But the time of the free fall, 4 minutes and 20 seconds, was 16 seconds short of the record, set by Joe Kittinger, 84, the retired Air Force colonel who in 1960 jumped from 102,800 feet and reached a speed of 614 miles an hour.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/15/us...skydiving.html

Old 10-14-12, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fucking awesome. And done on the anniversary of Chuck Yeager's airplane record.
Old 10-14-12, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just watched a youtube video of this, starting during his final steps before jumping. Pretty amazing stuff, the look out from the top made me a bit giddy. I'm glad it went well for him, although I'm surprised his free fall time was shorter than the previous record.
Old 10-14-12, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
I just watched a youtube video of this, starting during his final steps before jumping. Pretty amazing stuff, the look out from the top made me a bit giddy. I'm glad it went well for him, although I'm surprised his free fall time was shorter than the previous record.
it's because kittinger wasn't going for speed, so he wasn't in a tuck position, so his top speed was slower.
Old 10-14-12, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Speed is more impressive than free fall time in my book.
Old 10-14-12, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

When I watched the jump a second time, it looked like the speed indicator stopped at 739 or whatever it was at for awhile. And in any case, it said right on the screen it was only an estimated speed, so I'm not sure where that number was coming from. They also mentioned during the press conference that he had the longest freefall without a drogue chute, which might explain why Kittinger had a longer freefall time even though his jump was about 25,000 feet lower.
Old 10-14-12, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-14-12, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yea, I saw that too. But the broadcast had a 20 delay and it was clearly an aproximate.

Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
I'm assuming they had more accurate data than the live telemetry. And he had 7,000 more feet than expected to get there, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.
They did and as mentioned, they had to have all stats made "official". And they were. And it was clear the Red Bull group wasn't trying to get away with anything.

Honestly, it is the first time in a long time anything has taken my breath away. I had it going on my iPad and laptop (for some reason there was a slight delay between the two, so it was like having instant replay). But anyway, when he put his feet out of the capsule, I was amazed. When he stood up, I started holding my breathe. I could not believe he had the balls to just step off like that.

I haven't rewatched it, but I'm fairly sure that early on he was falling out of control and spinning. And he recovered. Which is amazing....

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
Dude might be my new hero!
Old 10-14-12, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
it's because kittinger wasn't going for speed, so he wasn't in a tuck position, so his top speed was slower.
Wouldn't that make his free fall time longer?
Old 10-14-12, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yes, that's why kittinger still holds the record for free fall time, even though he jumped from much lower (almost 25,000 feet lower)
Old 10-14-12, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, which it was.
Old 10-14-12, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As Baumgartner ascended in the balloon, so did the number of viewers watching on YouTube. Nearly 7.3 million watched as he sat on the edge of the capsule moments before jumping. After he landed, Red Bull posted a picture of Baumgartner on his knees on the ground to Facebook, generating nearly 216,000 likes, 10,000 comments and more than 29,000 shares in less than 40 minutes.

On Twitter, half the worldwide trending topics had something to do with the jump, pushing past seven NFL football games.

Among the tweets was one from NASA: "Congratulations to Felix Baumgartner and RedBull Stratos on record-breaking leap from the edge of space!"
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2012/...sound-barrier/

Old 10-14-12, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

generating nearly 216,000 likes, 10,000 comments and more than 29,000 shares in less than 40 minutes.

Wow. What does that mean.

Next month my doorknob will have more comments, likes, and shares than he will.

Take that back. My toilet handle will have more comments, likes and shares.
Old 10-14-12, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-14-12, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Truly Amazing.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.