DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Shell Gas Card - My Limit Was REDUCED!!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/605395-shell-gas-card-my-limit-reduced.html)

DVD Polizei 10-04-12 09:05 PM

Shell Gas Card - My Limit Was REDUCED!!!

So, I missed a payment with my Shell Gas Card. My "online green statement" was sent to my spam box and I forgot about to even make a payment altogether. I got a phonecall about 5 days after my payment was due. It's not like I wasn't paying on it...and they know my payment history. I've been with these shitholes since 2001. I haven't missed a payment in over 4 years!

I just found out online they reduced my credit limit by $50. What the fuck. I emailed their customer service and said I would gladly close my account if Shell is hinting that I should. And that I will go elsewhere. Fucking shithead duck fucks. I don't get a CREDIT INCREASE in the past 3 fucking years, even though I've made double payments and more, easily past the minimum payment requirement. But this one fucking time and they dock me? WHAT THE FUCK!!!

EDIT: LOHAN-HEADED EVIL MUTANT FUCKS.

X 10-04-12 09:22 PM

Re: Shell Gas Card - My Limit Was REDUCED!!!

Do you eat with that mouth?

ernestrp 10-04-12 09:24 PM

Close the account and go elsewhere. I think they want you to pay them interest and not pay it off every month.

GoldenJCJ 10-04-12 09:24 PM

If you can't trust big oil or their credit card companies who can ya trust?

NotThatGuy 10-04-12 09:24 PM

He got Lohan'd.

filmerp 10-04-12 09:49 PM

American Express outright cancelled the card I had with them through Costco, and I had never even carried a balance, though I had spent around $10K in 6mo and paid every month in full, plus earned a hefty cashback bonus. When they cancelled my card, I wasn't notified- I was out of town and had my card declined for a slice of pizza, so I figured the account was flagged due to unusual activity and would deal with it when I got home a couple days later. Come to find out, I had three auto-bill pays set up that got rejected, so I had to pay late fees on those accounts. When I called AmEx, they just said they were cancelling "bad" account holders. I'd ask the reps to check my history, and none could explain why my card was closed- maybe they ran a new credit report and didn't like it. At that point, I didn't care to continue using them and just requested my cashback balance (~$170). AmEx said I was no longer entitled to it because I closed my account. Curse words followed.

I sent a complaint to Costco, and they made sure my cashback check was sent a couple months later.

tbone 10-04-12 10:00 PM

Why do you really care? It's only a $50 credit line decrease due to your fault in missing the payment. It is called loss mitigation. Sometimes they will completely close the account.

tbone 10-04-12 10:02 PM

Also, you've had the "card since 2001 and haven't missed any payments in four years." So what I derive from that statement is that you had late payments on the account over four years ago.

DVD Polizei 10-04-12 10:11 PM

Yes, I had a late payment 4 years ago.

4KRG 10-04-12 10:12 PM

Sir, why are you unable to pay your bill?

:lol:

I hate how companies 'punish' you for not being PERFECT and treat you like you must be penniless or something over a simple mistake. Cancel your card, move on, there are other gas stations.

DVD Polizei 10-04-12 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by ernestrp (Post 11413397)
Close the account and go elsewhere. I think they want you to pay them interest and not pay it off every month.

I think this is pretty much what I'm going to do.

Originally Posted by tbone (Post 11413444)
Why do you really care? It's only a $50 credit line decrease due to your fault in missing the payment. It is called loss mitigation. Sometimes they will completely close the account.

Yeah, but the issue is I make payments on-time and more than double and often triple the minimum payment 9/10 times...but they don't give me a lower APR nor do they increase the limit. So, what gives. They are only penalizing me and not rewarding me on the 9/10 times I pay appropriately.

Which makes me conclude I really shouldn't have this card. I'm better off without them since they have such a policy.

cungar 10-04-12 10:17 PM

If your finances are affected by a $50.00 reduction of the credit limit on a gas credit card, this is the least of your prblems.

DVD Polizei 10-04-12 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by 4KRG (Post 11413469)
Sir, why are you unable to pay your bill?

:lol:

I hate how companies 'punish' you for not being PERFECT and treat you like you must be penniless or something over a simple mistake. Cancel your card, move on, there are other gas stations.

Actually, this is what the gal who called me said. I replied, "Uhhhh, oh crap, I missed a payment." Then she goes on about what she can do for me, and I said, "Well, instead of calling me AFTER I'm already charged a $25 late fee and docked points, why can't you call me a few days before as a courtesy and say, 'hey, FYI, a payment is due in a few days!" Silence on the other end...and then "So, are you satisfied with my service?"

Seems like this particular gas card CITIBANK has me marked for a sucker. I guess I have been letting them pee in my butt (sorry, X for my un-Christian mouth) for many years.

DVD Polizei 10-04-12 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 11413476)
If your finances are affected by a $50.00 reduction of the credit limit on a gas credit card, this is the least of your prblems.

My point is that it's just the principle of the matter. Could've been a $1, and I'd still be pissed. In addition to charging me a late fee. People forget. Shit happens. And they are just taking advantage of this, using a system which sets up the consumer for continuous sanctions and fees.

A 10% reduction in my limit won't mean shit, but it's the fact they did it, when I've been a great customer for many years. They have the math in front of them. They should know better, but assume I'll take it the ass another 4 more years. That's just rude.

tonyc3742 10-04-12 11:14 PM

I had a card with Capital One I got in college. I ALWAYS had a balance, for about the next fourteen years, and quite often paid late or went overlimit.
One year I came into some money and paid it off. Within a week I got a letter saying the card was cancelled. I called customer service and let them have it. I don't usually do that. This time was worth it though. Nothing changed, however.
I do dislike how fast the credit score drops, versus how slow it increases.
Not sure I'd cancel and get a new card just over this, but then my credit's not great anyway. Maybe getting and using another one and keeping this one open so your debt use ratio is lower.

Abob Teff 10-04-12 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 11413358)
So, I missed a payment with my MISTAKE #1:Shell MISTAKE #2:Gas Card. My MISTAKE #3:"online green statement" was sent to my spam box and I forgot about to even make a payment altogether. I got a phonecall about 5 days after my payment was due. It's not like I wasn't paying on it...and they know my payment history. MISTAKE #4:I've been with these shitholes since 2001. I haven't missed a payment in over 4 years!

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that you have an "online green statement" for purchasing gasoline? Yeah, it's the stamp and the paper that are Mother Nature's tipping point. <sarcasm>

Get rid of the credit cards ... all of them.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) 10-05-12 12:34 AM

I have had luck with cc taking off late charge if it is your first and you sweet talk them. Bitch at them and they won't lift a finger to help. Although now I always set all my cc on automatic minimum payment, so i don't have to worry. I usually pay the balance in full, but in case i forget, it is no big deal.

Heat 10-05-12 12:44 AM

Why do you even have a Shell card? If I remember the terms right, you get 5 cents off per gallon if you buy at least 50 gallons, but less than 99 gallons, in a calendar month.

Or you could get an Amazon card which will give you 2% back in the form of Amazon credit for gas station purchases with none of the minimum gallon per month bullshit.

Around here gas is about $3.60 a gallon - 2% with Amazon would be 7.2 cents per gallon. Doesn't sound like much, but it adds up.

Sean O'Hara 10-05-12 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 11413481)
Actually, this is what the gal who called me said. I replied, "Uhhhh, oh crap, I missed a payment." Then she goes on about what she can do for me, and I said, "Well, instead of calling me AFTER I'm already charged a $25 late fee and docked points, why can't you call me a few days before as a courtesy and say, 'hey, FYI, a payment is due in a few days!"

Because you're an adult who should be able to take care of your financial obligations.

And because having enough CS reps to call every customer to remind them of their responsibility while still having people to answer incoming calls would increase their costs, which would have to be passed on to all their non-dead-beat customers.

story 10-05-12 01:17 AM

This thread has me all kinds of paranoid now as we've been paying our Amazon Visa balance every month, even if it exceeds a grand, and now I wonder if they'll say that's too good and not making them money so they'll cancel it and there goes all of our points down the drain...

hal9000 10-05-12 02:10 AM

Whoa! Is that a typo, your limit was reduced by $50 or $5,000? If it's $50 dare I ask what the original limit was, what, like $400?

DVD Polizei 10-05-12 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara (Post 11413627)
Because you're an adult who should be able to take care of your financial obligations.

And because having enough CS reps to call every customer to remind them of their responsibility while still having people to answer incoming calls would increase their costs, which would have to be passed on to all their non-dead-beat customers.

That's kinda funny, because I get about 1 or 2 phone calls a month from Shell, asking me about a life insurance program (or similar I can't specifically remember), after which I keep on telling them NO THANKS.

Oh, they got the fucking resources, they just don't want to use them to allow their entire customer base to be paying on-time. Because let's face it, being an "adult" is not their agenda. They want everyone to miss their payments as much as possible. A good credit rating isn't in their best interest either, and I have to wonder if the entire lending industry is setting customers up for worse credit scores so they have to pay more interest, no matter what their legitimate excuses.

Of course, when a corporation of lending has issues, why, they expect a bail out from the US Government. Well, I don't. I'll find a fucking 2nd job to pay my bills.

But I agree with everyone on here. I need to find an alternative like an Amazon Card or whatever, and drop Shell.

wmansir 10-05-12 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by filmerp (Post 11413431)
American Express outright cancelled the card I had with them through Costco, and I had never even carried a balance, though I had spent around $10K in 6mo and paid every month in full, plus earned a hefty cashback bonus. When they cancelled my card, I wasn't notified-...

They did the same to me a couple of years ago. It was a card I'd had for about 10 years. I only put a few grand a year on it, never carried a balance or got anywhere near my limit, so I don't think they were making much money on me. The only late payment I ever had was in the first year I had it, around Xmas when I mailed the payment at the normal time not realizing how slow mail could be that time of year. A while after they canceled my card I read some news stories that said they were cancelling accounts and slashing credit limits for flimsy reasons due to the credit crunch.

Even though I didn't have problem because it wasn't a card I used often I too was pissed that I didn't even get notified until about a week after the account was closed I got a letter in the mail. I didn't fight them for the ~$50 in rewards points I had on my account either, even though keeping them was a BS move on their part. I wasn't happy, but also wasn't too upset because over the years they had eliminated or reduced a lot of the account perks that made the card worth using.

Deadman31 10-05-12 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by hal9000 (Post 11413676)
whoa! Is that a typo, your limit was reduced by $50 or $5,000? If it's $50 dare i ask what the original limit was, what, like $400?

$51

danwiz 10-05-12 04:35 AM

such is life - move on!