Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Shell Gas Card - My Limit Was REDUCED!!!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Shell Gas Card - My Limit Was REDUCED!!!

Old 10-05-12, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Shell Gas Card - My Limit Was REDUCED!!!

I pay my bills and found it offensive as fuck when they do this, too. Back in 2008-2010, I had accounts that I didn't use, or just barely used (but wanted to eventually have those 20 year old accounts). They went through and closed out a lot of them. And reduced limits on others.

I know that it was all based around those people losing so much value back in 2008. But it still pissed me off. I had all of these cards, and intended on having aged accounts in another 10 years to help bulletproof my credit rating, and just to have basic presence at different banks. And then they went and pulled them out. Annoying.
Old 10-05-12, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by filmerp View Post
American Express outright cancelled the card I had with them through Costco, and I had never even carried a balance, though I had spent around $10K in 6mo and paid every month in full, plus earned a hefty cashback bonus. When they cancelled my card, I wasn't notified- I was out of town and had my card declined for a slice of pizza, so I figured the account was flagged due to unusual activity and would deal with it when I got home a couple days later. Come to find out, I had three auto-bill pays set up that got rejected, so I had to pay late fees on those accounts. When I called AmEx, they just said they were cancelling "bad" account holders. I'd ask the reps to check my history, and none could explain why my card was closed- maybe they ran a new credit report and didn't like it. At that point, I didn't care to continue using them and just requested my cashback balance (~$170). AmEx said I was no longer entitled to it because I closed my account. Curse words followed.

I sent a complaint to Costco, and they made sure my cashback check was sent a couple months later.
You got cancelled because you are, as credit card companies refer, a deadbeat. You were accruing cash back points while not carrying a balance, thus not giving them interest.

Not saying it's right, it's the way they work.
Old 10-05-12, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dtcarson View Post
I had a card with Capital One I got in college. I ALWAYS had a balance, for about the next fourteen years, and quite often paid late or went overlimit.
One year I came into some money and paid it off. Within a week I got a letter saying the card was cancelled. I called customer service and let them have it. I don't usually do that. This time was worth it though. Nothing changed, however.
I do dislike how fast the credit score drops, versus how slow it increases.
Not sure I'd cancel and get a new card just over this, but then my credit's not great anyway. Maybe getting and using another one and keeping this one open so your debt use ratio is lower.
You got canceled because you completely paid off a constantly delinquent/overlimit account. If you wanted to keep the card, you should have paid off all but ~$100 dollars of your account.
Old 10-05-12, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
such is life - move on!
He can't he ran out of gas!

Old 10-05-12, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

People still use gas cards?
Old 10-05-12, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I feel a lot better about my check cashing thread now.
Old 10-05-12, 08:24 AM
Suspended

We got a Sams Club card around two months ago. Got first bill, set it all up. I thought everything was fine because when I put the bank info in, Key bank name came up, so I thought it was good to go. Its the same set up as Walmart card, and TRU card.

I paid the bill about 2 weeks before it was due, get con # and con email. Today, six days after due date, I get an email at 4 in the morning saying that they rejected the payment because bank couldnt be found. Of course they throw a late fee on it on the day it was due. Almost 20 fucking days after I made the payment, six after the due date, NOW THEY SEND A FUCKING EMAIL.

Yeah, my fault I entered an extra number when putting in bank info. But how do they take 20 days to finally send notice that it was wrong. Thats them being dicks to make a whopping extra 25 bucks. So my wife gets to talk to somebody who dont speak english later today. Shes in her "where everything fucking annoys her" stage in her pregnancy. I shall listen in, the laughs might be worth the 25 bucks.
Old 10-05-12, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat View Post
Why do you even have a Shell card? If I remember the terms right, you get 5 cents off per gallon if you buy at least 50 gallons, but less than 99 gallons, in a calendar month.

Or you could get an Amazon card which will give you 2% back in the form of Amazon credit for gas station purchases with none of the minimum gallon per month bullshit.

Around here gas is about $3.60 a gallon - 2% with Amazon would be 7.2 cents per gallon. Doesn't sound like much, but it adds up.
Shoot, I just saw gas at $5.43 in LA. Granted it was one of the more pricey locations...

Discover Open Road is 2% up to $250 a month(was 5%,those bastards), and they had a promo a while back to buy shell gas gift cards for half off. I.e. Buy a $50 gift card for $25 in rewards.

Chase freedom offers 5% on gas a certain quarter usually around summer. The 5% rotates among several categories.
Old 10-05-12, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
That's kinda funny, because I get about 1 or 2 phone calls a month from Shell, asking me about a life insurance program (or similar I can't specifically remember), after which I keep on telling them NO THANKS.

Oh, they got the fucking resources, they just don't want to use them to allow their entire customer base to be paying on-time. Because let's face it, being an "adult" is not their agenda. They want everyone to miss their payments as much as possible. A good credit rating isn't in their best interest either, and I have to wonder if the entire lending industry is setting customers up for worse credit scores so they have to pay more interest, no matter what their legitimate excuses.

Of course, when a corporation of lending has issues, why, they expect a bail out from the US Government. Well, I don't. I'll find a fucking 2nd job to pay my bills.

But I agree with everyone on here. I need to find an alternative like an Amazon Card or whatever, and drop Shell.
You're part of the 47%, aren't you? Grow up, get a calendar for your computer and note down when your bills are due, and stop whinging because you're being punished for your own irresponsibility.
Old 10-05-12, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
You're part of the 47%, aren't you? Grow up, get a calendar for your computer and note down when your bills are due, and stop whinging because you're being punished for your own irresponsibility.

So how many times is OK to be late with a payment in 20 years?

1? or none?

How about in 30 years?

1? or none?

How about in 50 years of payments? Are you going to say that there is NEVER a valid reason that anyone should ever be late on a payment ever?

Seriously?

Life happens and is unexpectedly busy sometimes. I would say if someone was 2 or 3 days late (DAYS not weeks or months) on a payment once every 18-24 months or so, that should be 'forgiven' by the credit company. No one is perfect and sometimes life gets to be too much to remember every bill on time every month for 30+ years straight.

Credit companies are taking advantage of a crappy system that works against people (sets everyone up to fail eventually).

I forget which bills I have exactly that offer a grace period, but several say payment is due on 11/5, but no interest or penalties will be charged if payment is received by 11/10. These are companies I prefer to do business with. I always try to hit the early mark, but if something happens there is a built in grace period. Fits better with my life over the long haul. The one time a year I might miss the 5th, I do make the 10th without issue.
Old 10-05-12, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've made one late payment on a CC before -- in 20+ years. It was a $29 penalty or something. I called the CC company and told them I will cancel the card unless they waived the penalty. They immediately waived the penalty.

I prefer having bills mailed to me - makes it easier for me to remember to pay them.
Old 10-05-12, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post

I prefer having bills mailed to me - makes it easier for me to remember to pay them.
I agree. And they hate doing that.
The one thing that gets to me are bank payments that need several days to process. All I know is the moment I push the button my money is gone from my account and from my end I made a payment.
Old 10-05-12, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
That's kinda funny, because I get about 1 or 2 phone calls a month from Shell, asking me about a life insurance program (or similar I can't specifically remember), after which I keep on telling them NO THANKS.

Oh, they got the fucking resources, they just don't want to use them to allow their entire customer base to be paying on-time. Because let's face it, being an "adult" is not their agenda. They want everyone to miss their payments as much as possible. A good credit rating isn't in their best interest either, and I have to wonder if the entire lending industry is setting customers up for worse credit scores so they have to pay more interest, no matter what their legitimate excuses.
Do you also need someone to remind you to wipe your ass after a particular long shit because you "forgot"?
Old 10-05-12, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My Discover card balance had been slowly increasing over the past couple of years, due to medical bills and things like that, and they had been giving me regular credit limit increases over that period. Starting a few months ago, I've been slowly paying it down, and I did a balance transfer of over half the balance last month, and ever since I started doing that, I haven't received one increase to my limit.

It's just how they operate.
Old 10-06-12, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't get why you're so upset with a $50 limit reduction unless the limit is low like $100 or something. The Shell gas CC with the $0.05/gallon rebate is not even that good to begin with. If gas was $4/gallon, that's only 1.25% back. Not only that, Shell gas is almost 3% higher than everyone else, at least for me. There are better gas cards out there. Bank of America has a Cash Rewards card that gives 3% on any brand of gas, 2% on groceries, and 1% on everything else. Discover and Chase have rewards cards that pay 5% on any brand of gas every other quarter.
Old 10-06-12, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I forgot a payment once on a credit card. I got hit with the late payment fee, but that was it. Didn't get any other penalties or a reduction in my credit limit. It sucked and I hate paying fees, but it was totally my fault that I forgot to pay it. Since then, I've developed my own system so I never forget to make a payment again. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way so you'll remember.
Old 10-06-12, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by crazyronin View Post
You got cancelled because you are, as credit card companies refer, a deadbeat. You were accruing cash back points while not carrying a balance, thus not giving them interest.

Not saying it's right, it's the way they work.

You understand that the credit card companies make money from merchant fees as well right?
Old 10-06-12, 07:39 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I feel a lot better about my check cashing thread now.
You shouldn't.
Old 10-06-12, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Do you also need someone to remind you to wipe your ass after a particular long shit because you "forgot"?
PM me if you're interested.
Old 10-08-12, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You carry a balance? Well that is stupid just pay it off every few days and you won't have any problems and will still get the points or whatever shell gives.
Old 10-08-12, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Actually, I didn't have a balance for about 6 months or more. Then I did some traveling and carried a balance. I've never even come close to going over my limit.