Reload this Page >

Local News Anchor Tells Off Bully

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Local News Anchor Tells Off Bully

Old 10-03-12, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Local News Anchor Tells Off Bully

I don't think the letter was bullying either.

And not all fat people are "unhealthy"...

This being said by a fat woman who just had her physical at the doctor where all my blood work and tests came back "normal", much to my doctor's chagrin...
Old 10-03-12, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
The idiot who wrote the email is not a bully, and her response had nothing to do with her health, which was what the letter was all about.
Actually, the letter was all about some self-righteous jackwagon thinking he has the right to lecture complete strangers about their personal appearance. I heard yesterday that he's a lawyer. He also refused to appear on the show to discuss his email with her. So we can already see which one of them has more cojones.
Old 10-03-12, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Actually, the letter was all about some self-righteous jackwagon thinking he has the right to lecture complete strangers about their personal appearance. I heard yesterday that he's a lawyer. He also refused to appear on the show to discuss his email with her. So we can already see which one of them has more cojones.
In my mind, the letter writer is one of those old curmudgeons who writes letters to the local paper complaining about nonsense. They are best ignored.
Old 10-03-12, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So we can already see which one of them has more cojones.
Differences in testicular fortitude notwithstanding, they're both idiots. She moreso for turning it into a 4 minute rant. When she got the letter, she should have crumpled it while saying "what an asshole" and thrown it in the trash. He was being a douche and she was being an attention whore.
Old 10-03-12, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can only imagine how many stupid letters newscasters get on a daily basis. If every newscaster got up on a soapbox to talk about each and every "mean" letter they received, they would never actually report the news.

...after 28 minutes of bitching about mean letters...oh, oops...I guess some planes ran into some buildings in New York City. We'll tell you all about that tomorrow...as long as we don't get any more mean letters.

She's fat. Everybody knows she's fat. She knows she's fat. Everybody knows that she knows she's fat and she knows that everybody knows that she knows she's fat. Just ignore it fatty. She has two choices...lose weight or just deal with being fat and being ridiculed.
Old 10-03-12, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lawyer? Yes. HE???? Not so sure...

Old 10-03-12, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
And her line that we need to teach our kids to be nice and not be critical is a big heap of bullshit. We need to teach our kids to be critical of others and to know how to accept criticism, otherwise they'll never progress. We don't need to teach our kids to be kind, we need to teach them how to be critical in a constructive manner. Like I said, I'm a fat guy that's working on not being fat. If I wasn't criticized for my weight, I may never have pushed myself to get healthy.
So you're teaching your kids to be judgemental instead of nice to others? Good to know. I'll be keeping my kids away from yours, thanks.
Old 10-03-12, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

The people who are complaining about taking up too much of the broadcast time for a personal rant are acting like there was some other news that would have been covered instead.

But we all know that the time would have been used for an update on last year's gruesome murder (the accused killer appeared before a judge today for five minutes) and on the victim's mother (who still thinks that he deserves to be locked away forever for killing her baby).
Old 10-03-12, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander View Post
So you're teaching your kids to be judgemental instead of nice to others? Good to know. I'll be keeping my kids away from yours, thanks.
It would be nice if you actually read what I wrote. I said I'd teach my kids to give and receive constructive criticism. You can be nice and be critical. Hell, sometimes the nicest thing you can do is be critical.

Say there's that smelly kid in class. Say everyone is nice to him and no one tells him he smells bad. People are turned off but no one says anything in fear of being anything but nice. Well guess what, that kid is going to smell bad for a long time. Instead, how about someone tells him "hey man, we're friends and I like hanging out with you but you should do something about your stench." Sure it's asking a lot of a kid to be critical without being mean but that's why we teach them to be that way.
Old 10-03-12, 10:22 AM

I, for one, am fat and hate mostly fit people.
Old 10-03-12, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
It would be nice if you actually read what I wrote. I said I'd teach my kids to give and receive constructive criticism. You can be nice and be critical. Hell, sometimes the nicest thing you can do is be critical.

Say there's that smelly kid in class. Say everyone is nice to him and no one tells him he smells bad. People are turned off but no one says anything in fear of being anything but nice. Well guess what, that kid is going to smell bad for a long time. Instead, how about someone tells him "hey man, we're friends and I like hanging out with you but you should do something about your stench." Sure it's asking a lot of a kid to be critical without being mean but that's why we teach them to be that way.
So how are you claiming that it's "constructive" to tell someone you don't know and have never met in person that she's fat? How is it affecting the guy who wrote the email?

There's a difference between criticizing something that affects you adversely (like someone else you see all the time who smells bad) and something that has absolutely no effect on you.
Old 10-03-12, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
I don't think the letter was bullying either.

And not all fat people are "unhealthy"...

This being said by a fat woman who just had her physical at the doctor where all my blood work and tests came back "normal", much to my doctor's chagrin...
That's true but chances are that if someone is obese, they're unhealthy. And if they're obese and "normal" now, there is no guarantee they will be in the future.
Old 10-03-12, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So how are you claiming that it's "constructive" to tell someone you don't know and have never met in person that she's fat? How is it affecting the guy who wrote the email?

There's a difference between criticizing something that affects you adversely (like someone else you see all the time who smells bad) and something that has absolutely no effect on you.
Don't get me wrong. I don't think the guy was right in writing the email at all. It's not only none of his business but he wasn't exactly telling her anything she didn't already know.

I'm not trying to defend the guy writing the email (although I don't think it was bullying). I'm just pointing out that she said in her rant that it's more important to teach our kids to be kind than be critical and I disagree with that, to a degree.
Old 10-03-12, 10:36 AM

I personally believe that most people are well aware of their faults and the steps they need to take to remedy them. They don't need to have them pointed out, nicely or not.

Except maybe assholes.
Old 10-03-12, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
The people who are complaining about taking up too much of the broadcast time for a personal rant are acting like there was some other news that would have been covered instead.

But we all know that the time would have been used for an update on last year's gruesome murder (the accused killer appeared before a judge today for five minutes) and on the victim's mother (who still thinks that he deserves to be locked away forever for killing her baby).
Just because the sensational nature of typical news sucks, doesn't justify this goofy display. This is not news. Reporters get rude and abusive e-mails or facebook messages all of the time, what makes this e-mail so special that they need to take 4 minutes of air time calling the viewer out?

In the time I've worked in news, I've seen some viewers do some disturbing things such as stalking and harassment, which are much, much worse than calling somebody fat. This e-mail is really a non-event, and should never have been broadcast. If this woman was so comfortable with her appearance, she would have just ignored the e-mail, which is what should have happened to begin with.

This is a station exploiting their anchor's appearance and humiliating a viewer on air while clumsily tying it into the ridiculous "bullying epidemic" that the media wants us to be so afraid of. The station saw this as a chance to make something that might go viral, to get more attention for their anchor and station. There's nothing noble in that 4 minute rant, and they're really not taking a stand against anything. In my opinion this spectacle is just as sensational as the gruesome murder coverage you brought up in your post.

Last edited by DaveyJoe; 10-03-12 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-03-12, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
She never mentioned bulimia in that clip. She said October is "National Anti-Bullying Month."

Anyways, I don't know what was going on in that guy's mind when he wrote that letter, but it doesn't sound like bullying. Sounds more like a self righteous prick. Like when certain religious members of my family approach me at get togethers and bring up that the way I'm living my life is wrong because I'm agnostic and I support gay rights. Out of all things to criticize someone for, those are the things that make me in league with the Devil.

I need a hearing aid or something. Then again, my wife thought she said bulimia as well.
Old 10-03-12, 11:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
The fat chick has a point.

I wouldn't consider it bullying at all, but the e-mail was just stupid.

Who are these people to expect "celebrities" to be responsible for being a good example (however that's defined) for someone else's kids? You don't like what you see or what your kids see, turn the fucking channel. She's supposed to adjust her life for some stranger? Suck an egg.

With that said, she's not a half-bad looking woman. I think she could be somewhat hot if she decided to lose some weight.
This. And yeah i like her but then again i do like my women with meat in their bones
Old 10-03-12, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighters7 View Post

I need a hearing aid or something. Then again, my wife thought she said bulimia as well.
Don't feel bad, fat people mumble. I'm currently in the middle of writing an email to her about her pronunciation skills. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-03-12, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
"Look at me, I was bullied! Shower me with support and complimentary tweets and Facebook likes! Maybe I can get on Ellen!"
She made it onto GMA.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...nd-beauty.html
Old 10-03-12, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jbnugent View Post
I personally believe that most people are well aware of their faults and the steps they need to take to remedy them. They don't need to have them pointed out, nicely or not.

Except maybe assholes.
I don't know if I agree with this. Many people are simply in denial and won't do anything about their faults until somebody tells it to them straight.

It's kind of the whole point of interventions. Whether or not interventions truly work can probably be debated, but it's at least an attempt to get the clueless person to understand that he/she has a problem.

There are many people that run around every day stinking to high heaven because nobody has the balls to them them that they stink. There are many fat people that run around completely in denial that they're fat and it might take somebody else to look them right in the eye and tell that that they're fat and gross before they do anything about it. Now, of course morbidly obese people are totally aware that they're obese, but it takes a while to get to that point. Obese people aren't born obese. They gradually get fatter and fatter. If their friends would do them a favor and look them straight in the eye and tell them "you're fat and you better do something about it" maybe there wouldn't be so many morbidly obese people in this world. Once you're 400 pounds there more than likely isn't much you can do about it, but there's plenty you can do about it when you're only 30 pounds overweight. It's hard to notice gradual changes to your appeance and it's even harder to notice gradual changes when the people around you don't say anything.

I've said this numerous times, but I know that I'm 10-15 pounds overweight, but frankly haven't done much to change it. However, if people around me said "you're a fat ass and you don't look nearly as good as you did 3 years ago" I guarantee that would shame me into doing something.

I'm 100% positive that I don't stink. However, I'll freely admit that I might just be in denial and can't smell myself. Maybe I stink like a fucking homeless person. If somebody in my life told me with straight face that I smell bad and I need to do something about my body odor then you better believe I'm gonna look into it.
Old 10-03-12, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see how that specific single email is classified as "bullying"

It may not be 'nice' and there are a bunch of other terms we can use to describe it, but 'bullying' is not one.

http://www.stopbullying.gov/what-is-...ion/index.html

Bullying Definition

Bullying is unwanted, aggressive behavior among school aged children that involves a real or perceived power imbalance. The behavior is repeated, or has the potential to be repeated, over time. Both kids who are bullied and who bully others may have serious, lasting problems.

In order to be considered bullying, the behavior must be aggressive and include:

An Imbalance of Power: Kids who bully use their power—such as physical strength, access to embarrassing information, or popularity—to control or harm others. Power imbalances can change over time and in different situations, even if they involve the same people.
Repetition: Bullying behaviors happen more than once or have the potential to happen more than once.

Bullying includes actions such as making threats, spreading rumors, attacking someone physically or verbally, and excluding someone from a group on purpose.

She centered her whole response around this being anti bullying month, but as a reporter she looks like a fool that doesn't even understand the term she used.

Being overweight can be fixed, being stupid cannot

FAIL!
Old 10-03-12, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought this was breast cancer awareness month? I don't know what I'm supposed to care about this month!
Old 10-03-12, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
Aaahhh, the old "thyroid condition" excuse.
Old 10-03-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
Aaahhh, the old "thyroid condition" excuse.
My sister has it. She was hyperthyroid as a girl, so the doctors gave her a radioactive iodine cocktail to knock it back. They overdosed her. She's been obese ever since.
Old 10-03-12, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
I've said this numerous times, but I know that I'm 10-15 pounds overweight, but frankly haven't done much to change it. However, if people around me said "you're a fat ass and you don't look nearly as good as you did 3 years ago" I guarantee that would shame me into doing something.
You're a fat ass and you don't look nearly as good as you did 3 years ago.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.