Reload this Page >

Local News Anchor Tells Off Bully

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Local News Anchor Tells Off Bully

Old 10-02-12, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Local News Anchor Tells Off Bully

She should thank that person for trying to save her life and the lives of so many others. Her obesity is a virtual weapon of mass destruction that targets the weakest members of our society. In return, the writer is being further assaulted via a mass media barrage at the hands of the very one responsible for the initial atrocity. 'Heroic' seems somehow insufficient.
Old 10-02-12, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80 View Post
I imagine this thread would have turned out differently had the news anchor been a skinny blonde who had been abused in some way.

BTW I don't think she was whining or anything like that. I think she was using a platform she had to spread a good message.

Oops, I meant to say that she's a stupid fat slob.
Not from my perspective, I work in local news and I'd be critical of any on air personality taking 4 minutes to complain about a nasty e-mail they received. Like I said, this sort of thing happens all the time but we normally don't take 1/5 of a newscast calling out a viewer and acting like we're standing up against an epidemic.
Old 10-02-12, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
Not from my perspective, I work in local news and I'd be critical of any on air personality taking 4 minutes to complain about a nasty e-mail they received. Like I said, this sort of thing happens all the time but we normally don't take 1/5 of a newscast calling out a viewer and acting like we're standing up against an epidemic.
You have a legitimate argument.

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
She should thank that person for trying to save her life and the lives of so many others. Her obesity is a virtual weapon of mass destruction that targets the weakest members of our society. In return, the writer is being further assaulted via a mass media barrage at the hands of the very one responsible for the initial atrocity. 'Heroic' seems somehow insufficient.
Old 10-02-12, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Actually, it sounded like the person was concerned. And being the "I don't give a fuck if I'm fat I eat what I want" kind of behavior I see all the time, she has to justify her fatass by going public. Why even go public? This isn't a "bullying" letter.
Old 10-02-12, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i didnt click on the video but what did this fat chick say....is this some cookie segment?
Old 10-02-12, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler View Post
That's the DVDTalk forum I know.

Losing weight is easy. Being fat is a life choice. And you're costing taxpayers billions of dollars!
This is what the typical internet guy who bitches about women being fat and/or ugly looks like:

Old 10-02-12, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

*paging Giantrobo*
Old 10-02-12, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
This is what the typical internet guy who bitches about women being fat and/or ugly looks like:
Doesn't invalidate her situation of being an attention whore and having nothing else to do and reporting about something that really isn't what she makes it out to be. In other words....bad reporting.
Old 10-02-12, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't know if I would necessarily call it bullying. After about 2 minutes of the clip it began to feel like a little too much air time was dedicated to it.

However, I think the writer of that email or letter was pretty stupid. I would say more of the problem of obesity relies on the food that's easily available to us and promoted. We have McDonalds, Taco Bell, Wendy's, In-N-Out, KFC, Jack N The Box, all over the place. Santa Claus personally endorses Coca Cola. You go to the check out at a grocery store and the quick food fixes at the line are nothing but candy bars.

Considering how fat people are regularly ridiculed in the media and in public, I really doubt that young girls are looking to a chubby anchor to justify not being skinny. Usually they look to skinny celebrities to make themselves feel worse about not having the "perfect" body. Magazines telling us how "Lady Gaga hides that those 25 lbs," or how Kim Kardashian lost 15 lbs!!!

I would be more worried about celebrities living or promoting promiscuous and drug addicted lifestyles having a negative effect on the public, rather than an anchor woman's weight.
Old 10-02-12, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VePMEVNqdd0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 10-02-12, 09:38 PM
Premium Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Butch!
Old 10-02-12, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think the guy should have emailed her, but I don't see it as bullying. There was nothing written in that email that made me think that he was just being malicious for the sake of being malicious. I think he was trying to be helpful and push her to become healthy. I just think his criticism is misplaced because her lifestyle is none of his business and it's silly to think that kids will emulate the fat local news anchor.

I don't know how I feel about the womans point. On one hand, it's good to happy with your appearance. It's also none of my business if she chooses to lead an unhealthy lifestyle. However, I don't think you should preach that it's ok to be fat because you might as well say it's ok to be unhealthy.

Now people may say that it may not be her fault. Coming from a fat guy that has been working hard to lose weight, trust me when I say that you don't get to that size by having a balanced diet and exercising regularly.

And her line that we need to teach our kids to be nice and not be critical is a big heap of bullshit. We need to teach our kids to be critical of others and to know how to accept criticism, otherwise they'll never progress. We don't need to teach our kids to be kind, we need to teach them how to be critical in a constructive manner. Like I said, I'm a fat guy that's working on not being fat. If I wasn't criticized for my weight, I may never have pushed myself to get healthy.
Old 10-02-12, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
Person who wrote the letter is an idiot for being so concerned about a anchor woman's duty as a role model.

However, she seems to be no better than he is, trying to align an email she didn't like with a now popular cause (anti-bullying) as a way of making it seem like a bigger deal than it really is.
I agree. The person had no business writing the e-mail but she went and made a mountain out of a mole hill.
Old 10-02-12, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree with her message, but she took too long to put it across. Two minutes would have been better. And the "helpful" guy who wrote the email is a douche. Like she said, does he really think she doesn't know she's fat?
Old 10-02-12, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
I don't know if I would necessarily call it bullying. After about 2 minutes of the clip it began to feel like a little too much air time was dedicated to it.

However, I think the writer of that email or letter was pretty stupid. I would say more of the problem of obesity relies on the food that's easily available to us and promoted. We have McDonalds, Taco Bell, Wendy's, In-N-Out, KFC, Jack N The Box, all over the place. Santa Claus personally endorses Coca Cola. You go to the check out at a grocery store and the quick food fixes at the line are nothing but candy bars.

Considering how fat people are regularly ridiculed in the media and in public, I really doubt that young girls are looking to a chubby anchor to justify not being skinny. Usually they look to skinny celebrities to make themselves feel worse about not having the "perfect" body. Magazines telling us how "Lady Gaga hides that those 25 lbs," or how Kim Kardashian lost 15 lbs!!!

I would be more worried about celebrities living or promoting promiscuous and drug addicted lifestyles having a negative effect on the public, rather than an anchor woman's weight.
The weight thing shouldn't just be a superficial thing as it is in society. So many people dismiss it as saying "Well I'll just never be a model" but they should be saying "Well I'll just never see past 70" Because that's really the reality of it.
Old 10-02-12, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I couldn't even get through all of her video so perhaps I missed somthing but oh well.

Ok, first of all whoever the nut was who wrote the note to her is an idiot. Not because he was wrong about her weight but because...why? Who does this? I don't get it really. But then again, we post here so who knows.

BUT, her video was idiotic and the fact that she brought up that this month is anti bulimia month was hilarious to the tenth degree.

Yeah yeah yeah, we don't know you, you're more than just a fat girl, you have heart and love to give, yada yada yada. I don't care. I'm sure you're great but you are fat so don't act like you've been raped and post this idiotic video.

The guy wasn't even that hurtful in his letter. Seemed pretty professional.

Fat people annoy me, and idiots like the letter writer annoy me. I'm not sure who wins this battle.
Old 10-02-12, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Surely you don't see yourself a suitable example to this community's young people, girls in particular."

I think this is where the letter writer crossed the line. Not only is writer trying to be "helpful" but he/she is accusing the anchor of being irresponsible not just to herself but by allowing the public to see her weight.

I can imagine criticizing someone AND their effect on the public if they were doing cocaine, paying prostitutes for sex, promoting bigotry, something along those lines.
Old 10-02-12, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by foofighters7 View Post

Fat people annoy me, and idiots like the letter writer annoy me. I'm not sure who wins this battle.
When in doubt, always side against fatty.
Old 10-02-12, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by troystiffler View Post
Losing weight is easy.
Not true.

Being fat is a life choice.
True. I know morbidly obese people. They actively consume enormous amount of calories to maintain that weight. And they don't care. I used to think "it wasn't their fault", but when I saw one of them give HALF A CAKE to his son at a party, I realized it was a life choice and his son is going to grow up to be just as morbidly obese as he is (I'm talking 400+ lbs).

And you're costing taxpayers billions of dollars!
Very true, but this is obvious.
Old 10-02-12, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I quote my wife - "This is F'ing retarded all round". Everyone involved in this was an idiot.

I watched the whole video and now I have to say....She is an idiot, perhaps more so than the idiot who wrote the letter in the first place.

Her making a Martyr out of herself was just ridiculous. The letter WAS NOT bullying and if it was, then I guess no one can have an opinion of anyone as it could be bullying. The letter was stupid and needless but if the guy felt that, fine, say it. I just don't understand taking time out to write to this woman. How does it mean that much to the guy?

She tries to spin this into an actual story. Sorry woman, this isn't a story. Stop acting like you've been violated by this guy and get over it. You're degrading real bullying.

Again, back to the bulimia issue....Let's see...what's more dangerous....hmmm.....bulimia...or obesity.....hmmmmmmmmmm??? Seriously, you're going to try to spin it so that skinny people are the ones who need help? Leave the fatties alone? I don't know what she was thinking there.

She needs some accountability. Stop pointing your stubby phone key mashing fingers at others and accept that some people find you repulsive and do not agree with your lifestyle. Doesn't mean you have to change but you need to accept they might have a point, and even if they don't have a point, don't get all hot and bothered and out of breath just because they don't agree.
Own it and move on, at least until you have a massive heart attack.
Old 10-03-12, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by foofighters7 View Post

Again, back to the bulimia issue....Let's see...what's more dangerous....hmmm.....bulimia...or obesity.....hmmmmmmmmmm??? Seriously, you're going to try to spin it so that skinny people are the ones who need help? Leave the fatties alone? I don't know what she was thinking there.
She never mentioned bulimia in that clip. She said October is "National Anti-Bullying Month."

Anyways, I don't know what was going on in that guy's mind when he wrote that letter, but it doesn't sound like bullying. Sounds more like a self righteous prick. Like when certain religious members of my family approach me at get togethers and bring up that the way I'm living my life is wrong because I'm agnostic and I support gay rights. Out of all things to criticize someone for, those are the things that make me in league with the Devil.

Last edited by brayzie; 10-03-12 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-03-12, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Several of my friends are posting this story to their Facebook feed. Compare these two thumbnails for the story, I like how she's fat in one and stretched thin in the other.

Old 10-03-12, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I worked at a TV station where Jennifer interned many years ago. Back then she was really hot, and would flirt with all the guys to get help with her resume tape and such. Guess that ain't happening anymore.
Old 10-03-12, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
Agree with this... I happen to think she's attractive and dont care about her weight, however her job is to report the news. I couldnt finish listening to her blathering on and bitching about her white people problems.

I dont think I could finish either is she was blabbering the whole time.
Old 10-03-12, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The idiot who wrote the email is not a bully, and her response had nothing to do with her health, which was what the letter was all about.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.