Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Are you at the place you thought you'd be at your current age?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Are you at the place you thought you'd be at your current age?

Old 09-17-12, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Are you at the place you thought you'd be at your current age?

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Man when I go to CVS they have this announcement over the PA where they say "If you're over 55, you should get tested for shingles"
Yep. When I was at the pharmacy waiting for my shingles meds I heard the same announcement along with seeing signs posted everywhere saying the same thing (it must have been shingles season or something).

Another shitty thing about it was that the shingles meds are also used to treat herpes, which was a little embarrassing getting my pills from the cute pharmacy girl. I'm sure "shingles" was the last thing she thought I had.
Old 09-17-12, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

hmmm....I would have to say that I'm rather surprised at the turns my life has taken. I'm a full time student now and I would have never guessed that to happen.
Old 09-17-12, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't read the first two pages, but my answer has probably been state: FUCK NO!
Old 09-17-12, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

51, retired/unemployed or un-employable. I guess I have now what they call FU money and I'am very cheap, like trash service when the world is full of trash cans. And I have a supply of a 121 unused Depends. I was going to donate them to Goodwill but I thought there might be a time when I really need them like if I get the squirts. I remember years ago I had a stomach virus and it was shooting out both ends and maybe I could cap one end with a Depends.
Old 09-17-12, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

38, own a good sized home on a half acre in a quiet neighborhood. I'm married and a father, two things I did not think I would be. Have some good friends that share similar interests. Great job with awesome benefits. Yeah I wish I was in better shape (working on that), also wish we had more $$$ (also working on that), but overall I'm good with where I am at.
Old 09-17-12, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait. No. I figured that by now, I'd have "real friends" and get away from this forum.
Old 09-18-12, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe View Post
I just want about 4 more years of singlehood, my friends marriages are boring as fuck, we go over to there place drink some cheap trader joes wine and play taboo or apples to apples then everyone is home by midnight. I'm not in a rush for that lifestyle. I've never had a proper Vegas experience yet.
I understand what you're saying, but do you want to do the same thing for your entire life? At 50, would you feel the same way about partying?

I never thought I'd be married, but now I am and we will hopefully be buying our first place in the next few months. Maybe start a family and I can't wait.

I do wish I was making more money and that will require me starting with a new company, which scares me a bit, but I will do it eventually.
Old 09-18-12, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

No, but almost nobody ever ends up where they thought they would be, life has taken me through different places and I been fortunate enough that I never in my life had I ever had to go to bed without food in my belly

Life its good right now we just purchased our first house and are expecting our first child in less than 2 months but the wife will be out of work for a while and the company is under new contract and might end going into strike so it can all turn around again. Oh well that's life sometimes u are up sometimes u are down and make the best u can
Old 09-18-12, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most of my old friends from high school are a lot better paid than I am. I just sort of assumed that I'd get a graduate degree in something or other and then get a good job.

But I'm happy, and I'm loved, and I never dreamed that could happen to me.
Old 09-18-12, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm 33.

+ Married my high school sweetheart and best friend.
+ Great new job at a company I love. Been here 5 years. Good pay, acceptable benefits, great environment.
+ Just moved into our very own townhouse this past weekend. Feels amazing not to rent anymore.

- Need to be healthier.
- Need to save more money for the future.

So, overall, I'm pretty happy where I am at. And the couple negatives are very fixable.
Old 09-18-12, 02:31 PM

I'm 39 and in a way better place than I would have envisioned when I was in my 20s and completely self-absorbed and directionless.

I have a wonderful 9-year old son, a job that I love, loads of vacation time, my dream car, in the best shape of my life, plenty of sex, and a decent salary (despite a 12% paycut this year).

But things could be better. I rely on online dating to meet women and I'm ready to be done with that and start a family. I rent a small apt. that's suitable for me and my son, but I'm ready for a home yet nowhere close to being able to afford one. And I don't have any close friends. Pretty much spent my entire 30s dating, at the expense of having friends to be active or travel with. Things to shoot for in my 30s, I guess.
Old 09-18-12, 09:51 PM

24 here, gonna follow Quake's format:

+ decent job (~60k) with free flight benefits
+ great gf
+ live in paradise (hawaii)
+ no debt (student loans paid off)
+ in decent physical shape (5'10", 155 lbs, ~12% bodyfat)

- living at home (moving out next month)
- in a long distance relationship (free flights help though)
- haven't been saving up money (free flights=frequent expensive weekend trips)
- job has little room for advancement

Getting to that point where I need to stop thinking I'm just a kid and start growing up. Maybe next year though :>
Old 09-18-12, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm 35 and my life certainly didn't turn out how I expected when I was in high school or college. But that's not to say I'm unhappy. In fact I'm very happy with how things turned out. Things could be better I suppose, but I don't dwell on those things.
Old 09-19-12, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I dont know. I was so high all the time when I was younger I cant remember what I was supposed to be. I guess I failed or maybe I didn't.
Old 09-19-12, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
I dont know. I was so high all the time when I was younger I cant remember what I was supposed to be. I guess I failed or maybe I didn't.
Old 09-19-12, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe View Post
.........But at least I'm not like some of my friends having kids............
I do actually enjoy having kids, maybe your friends do too????????
Old 09-19-12, 02:18 PM

^ yeah i would assume they do, PenguinJoe still not mature enough to see it or appreciate it so its good he is not having kids yet
Old 09-22-12, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I was young I had ambitions to be a cult leader. Unfortunately I can't even get my pet iguana's to listen to me.
Old 09-22-12, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, hell. It's Saturday night and I'm posting on here. I'm supposed to be out tricking women into thinking I'm worth having sex with. Lame.

Lets do this.

*ties belt to computer chair*
Old 09-22-12, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not exactly I guess. I mean things are decent enough I suppose but there's a lot that could be better. I'm 25 (going to be 26 in less than a month) don't have my own place yet which isn't so bad but it gets kind of lame telling people you're still living at home, however I don't really want to get a place and just barely be able to afford it either. I'm still single and no real prospects on the horizon at the moment, I've just never really had the greatest luck with women to begin with. My job is stable but I'd like to get paid more (I'm sure most of us would) and I'm just not really sure I see myself going too far within the company if I stay. On the bright side though I'm still relatively young so the way I look at it I've got plenty of time to change these things hopefully sooner rather than later.
Old 09-23-12, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

41 and thought I would be dead by now so, no.
Old 09-23-12, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Decent job with good benefits, but the overall pay isn't very good. Of course, it would help if the company didn't put a freeze on all raises for the last 4 or 5 years.

Very frustrating when the cost of everything continues to go up, but your salary stays the same for a number of years.

But, I knew this company was non-union when I signed up, so I guess I can't really be too upset.
Old 09-23-12, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Howie2000 View Post
When I was young I had ambitions to be a cult leader. Unfortunately I can't even get my pet iguana's to listen to me.
You're doing it wrong. Your iguanas are smarter than your average cultie.
Old 09-23-12, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Originally Posted by Howie2000 View Post
You're doing it wrong. Say it's a space iguana and that he only speaks to you. And he thinks some of the hot new recruits should help his keeper (you) to release some dangerous, um, space bleeblots from your Column of Leadership.

Holy shit, I need to start a cult.
Old 09-23-12, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.