55.32%
no
44.68%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Do you fight speeding tickets?

Old 09-09-12, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do you fight speeding tickets?

So I got pulled over tonight for speeding. Typically I've done driver's ed to clear the ticket, but my dad said he always shows up for the court date and almost (note almost) shows up and the cop never shows up, meaning the ticket is dismissed. Just wondering in general for you Otters, do you fight speeding tickets or just pay up.
Old 09-09-12, 11:26 PM

Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

Always try fighting it. Best case scenario: dimissed. Possibly reduced, possibly paying full amount. I have only had one ticket, but I got it reduced and I was totally at fault and knew it. Worth trying at least.
Old 09-09-12, 11:27 PM
X
Administrator

I'm going to be fighting one I got last month. 51 in a 35 zone, but it was written up for unsafe speed, not exceeding the speed limit. I don't think it was unsafe speed, so I'm doing a TBD.

The fine is around $350.
Old 09-09-12, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I would fight a ticket (there's no downside, right?). I've never gotten one, though. I've been stopped 3 times in my life for speeding, but got a warning each time. The last time was just a few months ago--12 miles over and it was 4 in the morning. The cop gave me a break because I was on my way to the airport and was late.
Old 09-09-12, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wouldn't count on the cop being a no-show. They make OT for court time, which they love.
Old 09-10-12, 12:13 AM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by filmerp View Post
I wouldn't count on the cop being a no-show. They make OT for court time, which they love.
That's why I'm doing a trial by written declaration. The cop doesn't get paid overtime to write his version. And if you lose you can request a trial in person (or request traffic school).
Old 09-10-12, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No. But I ignored those "camera" tickets before. I checked the AZ Courts website, and they say they were dismissed.
Old 09-10-12, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Always fight it. The courts are backed up almost everywhere.

I'm in Los Angeles and I just got a speeding ticket last month. First, I filed for a continuance which gave me an additional two months before I have to shell out any bail money.

Then I requested a late afternoon trial date. I received my ticket in August of 2012 and the soonest they can get me in is April of 2013. The cop could retire, quit, get fired, go on disability by the time that rolls around. And his memory of the incident probably won't be any better by that time, either.
Old 09-10-12, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Every single fucking time. Fuck em and their quotas.
Old 09-10-12, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I'm a chump, then, because I've gotten five speeding tickets in the 30 years I've been driving. In each case, I was speeding, and I paid the ticket. It never occurred to me to fight it. I earned it.
Old 09-10-12, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

No. The ones I usually get are minor (<$100) and not worth my time. Otherwise, I do fight them.
Old 09-10-12, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only ticket I've received was out-of-state, a few hundred miles away from home. Figured it wasn't worth it to fight it.
Old 09-10-12, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've kind of had to in the past for points issues, at least when it wasn't likely to just piss off the judge over what I was up to when I got the ticket. Got quite a few thrown out when the cop didn't show.

I was a lot better at dealing with the cop at the scene to not write it up for reckless driving or the like and cite me for the actual speed I was going most times.
Old 09-10-12, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
No. The ones I usually get are minor (<$100) and not worth my time. Otherwise, I do fight them.
Same here. I've had tickets under $100 and I just pay them off. Not worth my time to fight it. Once I got a $500 ticket and fought that. Got it reduced, can't remember by how much though.
Old 09-10-12, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think i've gotten 2 in my life... I haven't bothered fighting them, because both times I was actually speeding. I just pay the fine and go to traffic school.
Old 09-10-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I fight them all and have been much better off because of it. This is nothing but a money grab, don't make it easier for them
Old 09-10-12, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I usually do this sketchy bit where I write a letter saying I just got a new job and I simlply can't take time off at the moment to go to court so I ask for a postponement. Then when I do go for the second date I hope the cop doesn't show. My wife has done "probation before judgement" or soemthing like that and gotten off but I think you can only do that if you don't have a history.
Old 09-10-12, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Two speeding tickets in my life. One when I was 21 and went to traffic school. Other one earlier this year (screw you Washington State and your 60 MPH laws, I'm from California damnit where the speed limit is more of a suggestion!!!) that I just paid as it was under $100.
Old 09-10-12, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No. If I get pulled over for speeding, then I was speeding. I pay the fine.

Not sure why people think the rules don't apply to them and further clog the courts, even if they don't like the rules.
Old 09-10-12, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't gotten a speeding ticket in 12 years.
Old 09-10-12, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
No. If I get pulled over for speeding, then I was speeding. I pay the fine.

Not sure why people think the rules don't apply to them and further clog the courts, even if they don't like the rules.
The "rules" are spelled out right on the back of the ticket. It's well within your rights to dispute the violation and or fine. Why someone would throw away their rights under the guise of "courts being clogged" is beyond me.
Old 09-10-12, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
The "rules" are spelled out right on the back of the ticket. It's well within your rights to dispute the violation and or fine. Why someone would throw away their rights under the guise of "courts being clogged" is beyond me.
^ this

and the fact that 'speeding tickets' are all about a money grab for the local police dept. and insurance companies (after conviction) and nothing about public safety...
Old 09-10-12, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
^ this

and the fact that 'speeding tickets' are all about a money grab for the local police dept. and insurance companies (after conviction) and nothing about public safety...
Exactly. I have no problem at all paying the fine if I'm proven guilty but to have to pay for the next 3 years through your insurance is a pill that I will avoid any way I can.
Old 09-10-12, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Never had one *knocks furiously on wood*.
Old 09-10-12, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For those who always fight it, don't you feel like an asshole? I mean it's just piece of paper. It was already a majestic tree at one time so it feels a little like adding insult to injury.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.