55.32%
no
44.68%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Do you fight speeding tickets?

Old 09-10-12, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

I've only gotten something three speeding tickets in my life and I've weaseled by way out all of them.

One I managed to get dismissed over the phone because the cop made a mistake on the ticket. Another one, the cop didn't show up in court. The other one, someone else who got ticketed the same that day -- I think he was a lawyer -- managed to get out of his by proving that the radar gun wasn't calibrated or something, so I got out of mine, too.

All of the speeding tickets I got were from speed traps. It's not about speeding or endangering anybody, but generating revenue. Fuck them.
Old 09-10-12, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X View Post
That's why I'm doing a trial by written declaration. The cop doesn't get paid overtime to write his version. And if you lose you can request a trial in person (or request traffic school).
I did this and got my case dismissed. $500 fine was returned.
Old 09-10-12, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You guys that have gotten more than a few tickets, and keep getting them, can I ask how?

After getting stopped three times and two tickets in my late teens, early 20s, it's become pretty easy to avoid speed traps.
Old 09-10-12, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm not even sure I know what a speed trap is exactly.
Old 09-10-12, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RagingBull80 View Post
I guess I'm a sheep.
Only if you blindly pay the assessed fine and feel it is 'deserved' - I think you misunderstood what I meant by sheep. Go bargain it down!

Where are all the posters letting everyone here know that you still have to follow the rules even if you don't like them? Nearly every new thread started around here about someone dealing with something in every day life there are a handful of posters that come out with, "Yeah but those are the rules so you have no reason to bitch." Is something different in this case?
Yawn...

Just because you didn't see the sign that has the speed limit posted doesn't mean that it's not there.
Believe it or not, there are roads that don't have enough speed limit signs posted, trust me, had a judge let me go because of it, so I proved it to him.

Things aren't priced the way they are for a reason? There are still Circuit Citys?
Old 09-10-12, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RagingBull80 View Post
I'm not even sure I know what a speed trap is exactly.
That cop on his motorcycle hiding behind the bushes on main st every day with his radar gun.
Old 09-10-12, 08:49 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
I did this and got my case dismissed. $500 fine was returned.
Whoa, what was that fine for?

Luckily I didn't get caught last week when I was going over 150. I think that would resulted in a license revocation. But then again, it was safe for the conditions...
Old 09-10-12, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have never gotten a speeding ticket.
Old 09-10-12, 08:50 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
That cop on his motorcycle hiding behind the bushes on main st every day with his radar gun.
That's what I got caught with.
Old 09-10-12, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Ah, I was expecting something way cooler.
Old 09-10-12, 08:54 PM

No, in KY it is easier to go to Traffic school. They really only want the money, they dont give a shit about safety. Dont let anyone tell you different.
Old 09-10-12, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
If I get pulled over for speeding, I was speeding. I've never been falsely accused (which would be worth fighting). What am I "fighting" when I get a legitimate ticket? The sign is clearly posted, I went faster than it said, I got caught. I'd love to drive on the left side of the road sometimes too, or run the occasional stoplight...but that's also against the law.

There are plenty of people on this forum who fight tickets, even when they were legitimately speeding. Hoping the cop doesn't show up is getting off on a technicality.

Bottom line for me, which I know is unpopular around here, is that I pay for the mistakes I make. And I know that comes across differently than I intend...I just never think to fight something that I actually did.
You seem like a very honest person.

How about this scenario...

Your car is fitted with a device which automatically registers when you are going over the speed limit and issues you a speeding ticket which is sent to both the authorities and your home. Since you were speeding (even if you were not observed by a police officer doing so), you will gladly pay any and all speeding tickets because you are the type of person that pays for his mistakes. Regardless if you were observed breaking the law, you would still pay the fines. Correct?
Old 09-10-12, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

Your car is fitted with a device which automatically registers when you are going over the speed limit and issues you a speeding ticket which is sent to both the authorities and your home. Since you were speeding (even if you were not observed by a police officer doing so), you will gladly pay any and all speeding tickets because you are the type of person that pays for his mistakes. Regardless if you were observed breaking the law, you would still pay the fines. Correct?
You mean like speed camera's? I'll pay those and not think twice. It's a "cost of doing business" in my opinion. The municipality gets it's money, my insurance isn't affected, it's a win win. If officer issued tickets worked the same way I'd pay them and not "clog the court system".
Old 09-10-12, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't know, I've never gotten a speeding ticket or even pulled over for speeding.
Old 09-11-12, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Around here they have really raised their "court supervision" fees. A normal speeding ticket is $120 and court supervision is about $100 more. But... if you take court supervision and don't have another moving violation in the next 60 or 90 days, the ticket is completely off of your record.

For what it's worth, I picked up a Valentine 1 radar detector this summer, works great but I only use it when I am taking trips. Around town I just go with the flow of traffic and know where the cops like to set up traps.
Old 09-11-12, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've only had three (during a forty year driving history)... two of which I deserved because I was going over the posted limit, so I didn't fight them.

The one other ticket was a photo-radar ticket that "supposedly" clocked me doing 12 miles over the speed limit on I-17 in Phoenix. I shouldn't have had to pay, but I wasn't in a position to fight it. My wife and I were out of state for several weeks and got the ticket forwarded in the mail. The ticket was issued almost a week before we left AZ. It arrived at our out-of-state location about two days before the deadline to pay ($250+). The alternative was to show up at court less than a week later, which wasn't going to happen. I don't fly any more (due to severe sinus issues and claustrophobia, and I wouldn't have had any transportation once I got back, anyway) and I didn't have time to drive back.

I paid the rip off.

I said "supposedly" because I know I wasn't going that fast. My wife caught the photo-radar flash and asked me if I was going over the speed limit. I knew I wasn't, but I looked to make sure. It was 55. But here's the thing, and the photo-radar pic I got substantiates my recollection. I was in the middle lane, there were three cars in the right lane, two in the left, and one in front and back. I was literally surrounded by seven other vehicles... all of which were passing (or had just passed) me at the time.

So, no, I have no respect for photo-radar.
Old 09-11-12, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If insurance companies have their way, that will probably become a reality sooner than anyone thinks. My insurance company offered me a reduced rate to put one of those driving monitor devices in my car. It sounded like a good deal until I read the fine print. Talk about Big Brother watching everything you do. Called our insurance agent and returned it.
Old 09-11-12, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
BTW, I think all you guys who get speeding tickets often enough to have a "policy" about them are dicks.
Old 09-11-12, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X View Post
Whoa, what was that fine for?
V C Section 22454 Schoolbus Meeting and Passing. Up to $1000 fine.

Yes, I did pass the school bus while its lights were flashing red. However, I argued that I did not have sufficient time to stop safely as the bus was loading/unloading kids in a 40mph zone and cars behind me were going just as (if not) faster than I was. Cops were sitting there waiting on the other side of the bus and pulled 3 of us over.
Old 09-11-12, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
V C Section 22454 Schoolbus Meeting and Passing. Up to $1000 fine.

Yes, I did pass the school bus while its lights were flashing red. However, I argued that I did not have sufficient time to stop safely as the bus was loading/unloading kids in a 40mph zone and cars behind me were going just as (if not) faster than I was. Cops were sitting there waiting on the other side of the bus and pulled 3 of us over.
So the cops know that's a problem area so they sit out there padding their numbers? Why wouldn't they move the bus stop or lower the speed on the road?
Old 09-11-12, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
So the cops know that's a problem area so they sit out there padding their numbers?
Yeah, that happens often in my opinion.

Another one of my 'dropped' tickets (now that I have some time to type it out) was on a road that I had driven every day (multiple times per day) for 6 years. The limit on this road was 45 mph for 20+ years, 4 lane divided highway and was fairly straight for miles. The 6 years I drove it daily, I lived off of it.

One day the speed limit lowered to 35 mph for about a 2 mile stretch, about 2 weeks later the cops were out in force issuing written 'warnings' for people going 45-50 (the old limit).

About a month after that, they starting writing real tickets for 45-50 (the old limit) out of years of habit, I was doing about 50-52 down this road leaving for work early one morning, sure enough, I got a ticket

Went to court, explained that I had been driving that road for years and the limit was 45 (explained that I knew for 20 years prior the limit had been 45). Explained that it was habit I was doing the speed I was that morning, the judge tossed the ticket and let me go.

I noticed about 6 months later, they raised the limit on the road back to 45

Stupid and arbitrary, the limit on that road is 45 today (years later), but there were a couple of changes between 35 and 45 over the years. I never did figure out what was driving the changes, it seemed insane to me.

I could have mailed in payment for that ticket and been a sheep, but that road really SHOULD have a 55 mph speed limit, not a 35 or 45. The road conditions easily allow 55 safely, and the arbitrary changing of it down to 35 was horseshit (apparently the judge agreed).
Old 09-11-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Your 35mph road sounds almost like a road in my area here. Difference is they go from 45mph down to 35mph right over a hill and suprise suprise they put speed cameras a few hundred yards after the change. Everybody that drives it on the regular knows the cameras are there and slam on their brakes when they get close to them (really safe). It's a 4 lane divided, not in a residential area where 35mph is way to slow.
Old 09-11-12, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sure, if that was the law. I'd say the chances of something like that passing are slim but I agree to all sorts of laws just by living in this country. Honestly, I've wondered for years why cars are able to go faster than 70 mph, which seems like the easiest solution to the problem.

Speeding is something that has the potential to be dangerous. I know everyone here is an expert driver who can handle high speeds without a care in the world, but that doesn't mean the rest of the country can.

There is a difference between fighting a ticket because you didn't do anything wrong (35 in a 25 when you just passed the sign that changed it to 35...I'd fight that) and fighting a ticket WHEN YOU WERE SPEEDING.
Old 09-11-12, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been pulled over three times and never got ticketed.

You guys really need to work on your handjob skills.

You guys do give handjobs in lieu of tickets.

Right?
Old 09-11-12, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
So the cops know that's a problem area so they sit out there padding their numbers? Why wouldn't they move the bus stop or lower the speed on the road?
I don't know why the school bus couldn't pick up the kids (this was in the morning) on a side street that leads to this main street. I hate the damn school buses around here. They do this at main intersections, too.

Was I speeding? I was going about 45 and saw the bus with flashing yellows. I tried to slow down (it was a four lane road with an island divider), but the two cars behind me were on my ass and then I saw the flashing yellows turn to flashing reds and the little stop sign on the bus popped up. No way could I safely come to a complete stop. 2 motorcycle cops were at the front of the bus. All 3 of us were pulled over at the light half a block down. Cops comes up and asks, "do you know why I'm pulling you over?" I didn't say anything and let him write me up. Took it and left. (I had a feeling it was going to be failure to stop for the school bus) Looked up the infraction at home, confirmed it was for what I thought.

I sent in my trial by writ. Did my investigation, provided a CHP chart showing what safe stopping distance is for vehicles, a map of the location, and measurement showing the relation of my car to the bus. Sent in my case. Got it dismissed and they sent me back all my evidence.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.