Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Do you pay?
yes
26
55.32%
no
21
44.68%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Do you fight speeding tickets?

Old 09-10-12, 12:28 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 31,270
Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
The "rules" are spelled out right on the back of the ticket. It's well within your rights to dispute the violation and or fine. Why someone would throw away their rights under the guise of "courts being clogged" is beyond me.
If I get pulled over for speeding, I was speeding. I've never been falsely accused (which would be worth fighting). What am I "fighting" when I get a legitimate ticket? The sign is clearly posted, I went faster than it said, I got caught. I'd love to drive on the left side of the road sometimes too, or run the occasional stoplight...but that's also against the law.

There are plenty of people on this forum who fight tickets, even when they were legitimately speeding. Hoping the cop doesn't show up is getting off on a technicality.

Bottom line for me, which I know is unpopular around here, is that I pay for the mistakes I make. And I know that comes across differently than I intend...I just never think to fight something that I actually did.
Draven is offline  
Old 09-10-12, 12:36 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,905
Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

It's fine that you're ok paying. Hell I'm ok paying as well. I'm not ok with some arbitrary, secret, point system and an insurance industy that will penalize me for 3 years for simply mailing in my admission of guilt.
Timber is offline  
Old 09-10-12, 12:51 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Mobile AL USA
Posts: 1,644
Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
I think I would fight a ticket (there's no downside, right?). I've never gotten one, though. I've been stopped 3 times in my life for speeding, but got a warning each time. The last time was just a few months ago--12 miles over and it was 4 in the morning. The cop gave me a break because I was on my way to the airport and was late.
I'm assuming by your name that you are female, thus that would answer why you've always got warnings... women are just as bad about speeding as men, but can charm their way out of tickets
lewisb73 is offline  
Old 09-10-12, 12:52 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 21,733
Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

The real reason to fight any ticket is keeping it off your insurance record. It's a crooked system designed to enrich local jurisdictions.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 09-10-12, 12:53 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,905
Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

A system where they can arbitrarily decide who to give tickets to has to be on the up and up right?
Timber is offline  
Old 09-10-12, 12:54 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
It's fine that you're ok paying. Hell I'm ok paying as well. I'm not ok with some arbitrary, secret, point system and an insurance industy that will penalize me for 3 years for simply mailing in my admission of guilt.
Do you get that many tickets that you have to worry about points on your record and insurance or fight each one?

When i've been ticketed, I know I'm in violation so I don't really contest. I would contest if it's something that I thought was bullshit or incorrect though. Even then, i've only gotten a couple over the last 15 years of driving so other then a session of traffic school, I don't even worry about it.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 09-10-12, 12:57 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,905
Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Do you get that many tickets that you have to worry about points on your record and insurance or fight each one?
It only takes one to affect your insurance. I got one for having a radar detctor in a state that it was illegal. I mailed in the payment and my isurance went up for having a a moving violation. One moving violation and an increase in my insurance rate.

Other than that I had one speeding ticket 15 some odd years ago that I didn't go to court on and just mailed it in and that resulted in an insurance increase as well.

It only takes one.
Timber is offline  
Old 09-10-12, 01:12 PM
  #33  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,720
Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

I wouldn't fight a ticket for exceeding the speed, but that's not what I got. I'm fighting it because I got a ticket for violating V C Section 22350 Basic Speed Law: "No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property."

Well, the conditions were perfect weather, high visibility, no other traffic or persons on the road or waiting to enter it.
X is offline  
Old 09-10-12, 01:22 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Osiris3657's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,318
Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

Thanks for the advice. I plan on postponing and then showing up to court at the later date. My Dad also told me that when the cop has actually showed up he hired one of the lawyers for 40-50 bucks that are at the courthouse and they get the ticket dismissed for some technicality.
Osiris3657 is offline  
Old 09-10-12, 01:27 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
It only takes one to affect your insurance. I got one for having a radar detctor in a state that it was illegal. I mailed in the payment and my isurance went up for having a a moving violation. One moving violation and an increase in my insurance rate.

Other than that I had one speeding ticket 15 some odd years ago that I didn't go to court on and just mailed it in and that resulted in an insurance increase as well.

It only takes one.
That sucks, I haven't had my insurance affected by the tickets i've received (speeding and running a stop sign) thanks to traffic school.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 09-10-12, 01:38 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
covenant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 4,896
Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
. My Dad also told me that when the cop has actually showed up he hired one of the lawyers for 40-50 bucks
Was that in the 40's?
covenant is offline  
Old 09-10-12, 01:52 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Osiris3657's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,318
Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

last year. think about it, these traffic lawyers hang around the courthouse and get 40-50 bucks for 10 minutes of their time. That adds up quite nicely over a day.
Osiris3657 is offline  
Old 09-10-12, 02:18 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,563
Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

I never fight them because I've never gotten one I didn't earn. If I get one for 10 over or less I will fight. But when I've been tagged, it's been for 42 in a 25 or something like that.

The last couple I got were under $100 and all I had to do was stay infraction-free for 90 days for it to expunge from my record. Not worth my time.

Plus don't you risk having to pay court fees on top of the ticket?
bunkaroo is offline  
Old 09-10-12, 02:27 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,905
Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
I never fight them because I've never gotten one I didn't earn. If I get one for 10 over or less I will fight. But when I've been tagged, it's been for 42 in a 25 or something like that.

The last couple I got were under $100 and all I had to do was stay infraction-free for 90 days for it to expunge from my record. Not worth my time.

Plus don't you risk having to pay court fees on top of the ticket?
You do pay court fees, everybodies pockets need to be lined. However in your case they probably would have reduced the 17mph over to less than 10 over.

Everybody knows it's a game, especially the judges who regularly reduce charges just for you showing up and giving some sort of explanation.

If you ever go to traffic court listen to cases and tell me it isn't a game that's played by everyone involved.
Timber is offline  
Old 09-10-12, 02:31 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mrs. Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With Nick Danger
Posts: 17,757
Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

Where's the option for "I only fight it if I wasn't actually speeding"?
Mrs. Danger is offline  
Old 09-10-12, 02:32 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mrs. Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With Nick Danger
Posts: 17,757
Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

BTW, I think all you guys who get speeding tickets often enough to have a "policy" about them are dicks.
Mrs. Danger is offline  
Old 09-10-12, 03:53 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,173
Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
If I get pulled over for speeding, I was speeding. I've never been falsely accused (which would be worth fighting). What am I "fighting" when I get a legitimate ticket?
You are fighting a stupid system. Speed limits are arbitrarily set with the exception of school zones, hostipal, zones, etc, etc the rest are mostly bullshit.

I can give example, just don't feel like typing that much right now.

The sign is clearly posted, I went faster than it said, I got caught.
not always, but ok

I'd love to drive on the left side of the road sometimes too, or run the occasional stoplight...but that's also against the law.
Very different, but nice try

There are plenty of people on this forum who fight tickets, even when they were legitimately speeding. Hoping the cop doesn't show up is getting off on a technicality.
I will say that in however many tickets (and it's been a lot) I have never had a cop miss a court date no matter how many times I have postponed.

Also, I feel that I need to clarify what 'fighting a ticket' actually means. It is not always a literal as you take it. I have never stood in front of a judge and claimed innocence to speeding

Like anything else, this is a game and either you are a player or a sheep. I have bargained down almost every ticket I have ever gotten to a lower fine and points dropped. Well worth my time and effort and it just really shows what a sham the whole thing is.

Bottom line for me, which I know is unpopular around here, is that I pay for the mistakes I make. And I know that comes across differently than I intend...I just never think to fight something that I actually did.
Sheep I bet you never asked the guy at circuit city to take 10% off the price of something either?
4KRG is offline  
Old 09-10-12, 03:56 PM
  #43  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Obi-Wan Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,656
Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

The first couple that I had, I went to court and fought them, and got them put "under advisement" which basically means that I still had to pay a fee, but no points would go on my record if I didn't get another ticket for a year (and I didn't). Then most of the districts in this area stoped doing the under advisement thing. Now if I get one (which isn't very often, I don't remember the last time I had one), I have this lawyer who gets it reduced to impeding traffic (a zero point ticket), without me even having to show up. It's totally a game.
Obi-Wan Jabroni is offline  
Old 09-10-12, 05:30 PM
  #44  
Senior Member
 
bippitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 958
Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

Originally Posted by X View Post
I wouldn't fight a ticket for exceeding the speed, but that's not what I got. I'm fighting it because I got a ticket for violating V C Section 22350 Basic Speed Law: "No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property."

Well, the conditions were perfect weather, high visibility, no other traffic or persons on the road or waiting to enter it.
You may find that exceeding the speed limit is considered proof of violating the basic speed law. The basic speed law means that the maximum speed limit may be lower than the posted limit if conditions are bad. I've never heard of a state that allows you to exceed the posted limit if conditions are good.


Do I fight speeding tickets? Constantly. I throw them up in the air and punch the hell out of them. Little bastards can't fight worth a damn.
bippitty is offline  
Old 09-10-12, 05:39 PM
  #45  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,720
Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

Originally Posted by bippitty View Post
You may find that exceeding the speed limit is considered proof of violating the basic speed law. The basic speed law means that the maximum speed limit may be lower than the posted limit if conditions are bad. I've never heard of a state that allows you to exceed the posted limit if conditions are good.
That may be, but from what I've read about it the section I'm charged with violating brings up all types of things, like the speed surveys used to establish the speed limit and the municipality creating a speed trap that make it more difficult to prosecute if you demonstrate that your speed was safe. And of course the chance that the cop doesn't write up his response.
X is offline  
Old 09-10-12, 06:30 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 4,352
Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

I've only been pulled over 3 times since I started driving. I received warnings the first two times and a $160 ticket the third. I payed the ticket and moved on.


Originally Posted by Draven View Post
No. If I get pulled over for speeding, then I was speeding. I pay the fine.

Not sure why people think the rules don't apply to them and further clog the courts, even if they don't like the rules.
That's how I've always felt about it. It's my fault and I'll be mad about it but I can't be mad at anyone but myself.


Originally Posted by Timber View Post
The "rules" are spelled out right on the back of the ticket. It's well within your rights to dispute the violation and or fine. Why someone would throw away their rights under the guise of "courts being clogged" is beyond me.
It may be within your rights to fight the ticket but you got the ticket because you were speeding. If you were wronged in some way, sure fight it.
RagingBull80 is offline  
Old 09-10-12, 06:39 PM
  #47  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 4,352
Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
You are fighting a stupid system. Speed limits are arbitrarily set with the exception of school zones, hostipal, zones, etc, etc the rest are mostly bullshit.
I agree that speed limits are a dumb set of arbitrary set of rules. But they are still the law and I have to follow the law. I guess I'm a sheep.

Where are all the posters letting everyone here know that you still have to follow the rules even if you don't like them? Nearly every new thread started around here about someone dealing with something in every day life there are a handful of posters that come out with, "Yeah but those are the rules so you have no reason to bitch." Is something different in this case?


not always, but ok
Just because you didn't see the sign that has the speed limit posted doesn't mean that it's not there.


Sheep I bet you never asked the guy at circuit city to take 10% off the price of something either?
Things aren't priced the way they are for a reason? There are still Circuit Citys?
RagingBull80 is offline  
Old 09-10-12, 06:50 PM
  #48  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mrs. Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With Nick Danger
Posts: 17,757
Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

I was just trying to think how long it has been since I got a speeding ticket. More than twenty years ago.

I got pulled over for speeding not too long ago, but I told the officer I just wasn't used to the new headers, and let him have a look at the engine.
Mrs. Danger is offline  
Old 09-10-12, 07:12 PM
  #49  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: On the banks of the Red Cedar
Posts: 9,867
Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

I have fought 2 tickets when I was in college. I ended up losing both times, and having to pay the tickets, just a while later. Cop showed up, said I was speeding, judge agreed.

Now it wouldn't be worth my time to waste a day to lose in court.
I just play my cards when I get pulled over,and hope I get a warning then. Once the ticket is written on paper, it may as well be etched in stone.
jonw9 is offline  
Old 09-10-12, 07:16 PM
  #50  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,905
Re: Do you fight speeding tickets?

Originally Posted by RagingBull80 View Post


It may be within your rights to fight the ticket but you got the ticket because you were speeding. If you were wronged in some way, sure fight it.
It's not even "within your rights" to fight it, it's expected. Mailing in the fine is you "waiving" your rights to a trial. You are expected to go to court to defend yourself. If the cop is judge, jury and executioner why don't they just accept payments right there on the spot?
Timber is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.