Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

I dislike my neighbors so very very much . . .

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 09-09-12, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts

I live in a fourplex, and it used to be almost perfect. The neighbors downstairs are a little trashy, but actually very nice people. It was a warm community, and especially in the winter, we all got together sometimes for meals. Then the neighbors across the hall moved out, and a large Mormon family moved in. Who knew that a religious family like that would be less considerate than the stoners downstairs? Since moving in they have done all these things to annoy the crap out of me:

* Put a huge freezer in front of my car, in my section of the garage. I decided live and let live. I've since bought my own freezer for fish, and have to keep it in my bedroom. Not a huge loss, since I'd rather know that only I have access to my precious halibut stash, but still . . . I would never park stuff in someone else's space without asking.

*Though they have 3 teenagers instead of babies, they do more laundry than anyone I've ever seen. And they leave it in the machines for hours so that anyone else who does laundry has to move it into a basket (wet or dry, though usually both).

*They had a social gathering, and one of their guests decided the best place to park was directly behind my car, blocking me in. Who does that?

*Yesterday they butchered a reindeer. They decided to age the meat for a few hours in the garage before freezing it. The smell was pretty obnoxious, and I could live with it, except that they also:
--threw out the bloody carcass parts that they didn't want in the green dumpster unbagged. So now the dumpster is covered with giant, Alaska sized flies and will be until garbage day next week.
---They left blood on the door to the garage. I know I will eventually clean this up, because except during the passover, blood on doors is not a good thing.

AAAAAAhhhhhhh. This is just a vent; maybe I'm being too picky, but no, I think most or at least many people would find these things to be really, really rude. I wish they would decide to move back to Oklahoma, or wherever they came from. If there are any rites that could make that happen, I'm almost willing to kill a chicken at this point (not really, but I can dream about it)

Old 09-09-12, 08:34 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 147 Likes on 94 Posts
Re: I dislike my neighbors so very very much . . .

You need to grow a pair, and do something other than piss and moan on the interwebs.
Old 09-09-12, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe View Post
You need to grow a pair, and do something other than piss and moan on the interwebs.
I know, but what can I do that won't make it confrontational here? I mean, I had them move that guy's car so I could get out. The bloody carcass . . . well it's kind of a done deal. I guess a laundry discussion might be worthwhile since that is ongoing.
Old 09-09-12, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

I'd also suggest parking close enough to their freezer to dent the fuck out of it.
Old 09-09-12, 08:53 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 147 Likes on 94 Posts

Tell them to move their fucking freezer.
Tell them if they don't clean up the BLOOD in the public area you'll call the Department of Public Health.
Tell them to get their shit together.
Old 09-09-12, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
I know, but what can I do that won't make it confrontational here? I mean, I had them move that guy's car so I could get out. The bloody carcass . . . well it's kind of a done deal. I guess a laundry discussion might be worthwhile since that is ongoing.
Give them 30 Minuten to remove their laundry from the machine after that take it out and throw it on the floor.
Old 09-09-12, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 266 Likes on 215 Posts

< sarcasm >A religious family inconsiderate? Whoever heard of such a thing?

Clearly you're lying... < /sarcasm >

And I agree with TallGuyMe.
Old 09-09-12, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I wouldn't block in the freezer. I would block in their cars WITH their freezer.
Old 09-09-12, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 183 Likes on 111 Posts

I would put their laundry in their freezer.
Old 09-09-12, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 172 Likes on 113 Posts

We do not claim your trashy neighbors, probably Utah.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
After smearing it in the deer remains. This would address three of their transgressions in one shot.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
I like this idea, but I'm afraid the freezer is a done deal as well. If I'd said something 3 months ago when they put the freezer there, that would be one thing, but I'm not okay with making them move it when I was silent about it for so long. The only reason the freezer matters is all the other stuff. Why I didn't recognize immediately that it would be par for the course instead of a one time instance of inconsideration, I have no idea. If they'd asked, I'd have let them put the freezer there.
Old 09-09-12, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 243 Likes on 143 Posts

You should fuck his wives.
Old 09-09-12, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

Invite some friends and throw a wild party. Blast music (some Slayer or Norwegian black metal would be good), smoke weed, have people running around naked and all other kinds of debauchery. See how the new neighbors like it.
Old 09-09-12, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It would be interesting if just one word in the OP was changed to a different word. I can only assume that if Mormon was changed to Muslim the hipsters here would tell you to simply respect their culture.
Old 09-09-12, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Invite some friends and throw a wild party. Blast music (some Slayer or Norwegian black metal would be good), smoke weed, have people running around naked and all other kinds of debauchery. See how the new neighbors like it.
Believe it or not, conservative fundamentalist LDS and Mormons are actually quite tolerant. They have to be, because their standards are so fucking high. They don't even drink coffee because caffeine is considered a drug, and therefore, off limits.
Old 09-09-12, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
Believe it or not, conservative fundamentalist LDS and Mormons are actually quite tolerant. They have to be, because their standards are so fucking high. They don't even drink coffee because caffeine is considered a drug, and therefore, off limits.
I had this stereotypical notion that they would be awesome neighbors of the no loud parties type, and that is true of them. They are actually pretty friendly, and I have never felt judged when they see me walking around with a drink.

I just had to vent. I guess in three months or so, this is all small stuff compared to how bad neighbors can get. It was kind of petty to vent in a public forum about them, but oh well. I feel better. I will probably go knock on their door when I do laundry tonight rather than move it into a basket. The basket is there for that situation, but it should be a rare slip up, not a habit, to forget about your laundry.
Old 09-09-12, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blast this. At maximum volume. All day. Every day.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-IjBi1eEaAA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-09-12, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Yesterday they butchered a reindeer.
I believe that falls under the category of "naughty" and they will receive their comeuppance when they receive no gifts on Christmas morning.
Old 09-09-12, 10:56 PM

Knock on their door and politely introduce yourself. Tell them you would like to talk to them about a few issues and let them know that you're not trying to make any complaints or start any problems, then;

1. Ask them nicely if they could please not put their freezer on your side of the garage as you use that spot to park your car. And ask them if they could please not have their guests/friends not block your car in with theirs when they come over (or at least to let you know first so you can move it out ahead of time if your going to be going out while they are there)

2. Ask them nicely if they could please not leave their laundry in the washers for hours on end as it makes it difficult for you and the other tenants to do their laundry when needed.

3. Ask them nicely if they could please clean up any blood that gets on the building after their butcher and if they can please bag any unused carcass parts before putting it in the dumpster as it cases an unpleasant stench and draws in flies and maggots. Yes, trash is dirty, but it doesn't have to be put out there in a filthy manner.

Let them know that this would make for a friendlier living situation for everyone all around and then thank them.

If that doesn't work. then next time, wrap any carcass pieces up with any of their left out laundry and stuff it into the freezer, then get a dolly and (assuming they park their car in the garage) block their car in by putting said freezer in front of it.
Old 09-09-12, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
It would be interesting if just one word in the OP was changed to a different word. I can only assume that if Mormon was changed to Muslim the hipsters here would tell you to simply respect their culture.
Just kill a pig and leave the carcass in the garage.
Old 09-09-12, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe you're okay with the freezer being in your space without being asked. That would tick me off to no end. Is a fourplex a condo or an apartment? If it is the latter then I'd drag in whoever is running the place.
I can't blame you for not wanting to talk to them directly. There are some folks you can't say anything to. Doesn't matter how nice and civil you are, they'll make it personal. Happened to me with neighbors who I approached "very nicely" about a small issue. I've since been fingered as the mean guy on the street.
Old 09-09-12, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The more you let them continue to do whatever the fuck they want
, the more they will do so
Old 09-09-12, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
The more you let them continue to do whatever the fuck they want
, the more they will do so
Exactly. Hense the expression, "Give them an inch and they'll take a mile."

I would get a shovel and put the reindeer offal in their freezer. Then I'd put their laundry in the freezer. Then I'd hit the freezer with my car just hard enough to damage the freezer. I'd wrap it up by unplugging the freezer.

And if you don't want to get confrontational, I'd get the landlord involved. But you need to stop being a doormat.
Old 09-09-12, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

I would have called a donation center to come by and pick up that freezer. That's just rude.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.