Reload this Page >

How trusting of others are you?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 09-09-12, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

I got a haircut yesterday. After finishing, the barber asked, "Would you like me to shave the back of your neck?" I thought he meant the clippers and was surprised when he pulled out a straight razor to do it.

It sounds silly, but I was really nervous. I kept thinking what if this guy is some kind of psycho, and any moment now he's going to pull back my head and slit my throat. I wanted to tell him to stop, but figured if he wasn't planning to kill me, I'd look silly.

I also worry about cab drivers, there is a lot of fly-by-night quasi-legal looking cabs around here, and I sometime wonder if the driver is going to drive me off into the woods and murder me.

Obviously, nothing bad has happened to me yet. I'm not sure if I'm unduly stressing myself by being hyper suspicious of everyone, or if it is a good thing that I'm always on guard.
Old 09-09-12, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: How trusting of others are you?

It all depends on the situation, but generally I have to trust the others around me.
Old 09-09-12, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not very.
Old 09-09-12, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
I got a haircut yesterday. After finishing, the barber asked, "Would you like me to shave the back of your neck?" I thought he meant the clippers and was surprised when he pulled out a straight razor to do it.

It sounds silly, but I was really nervous. I kept thinking what if this guy is some kind of psycho, and any moment now he's going to pull back my head and slit my throat. I wanted to tell him to stop, but figured if he wasn't planning to kill me, I'd look silly.
You probably wouldn't have to worry about stuff like this if you didn't continually hijack loads from the Five Families.
Old 09-09-12, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I trust very few people. Working retail for 16+ years and seeing all the backstabbing that goes on has made me that way.
Old 09-09-12, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

I also worry about cab drivers, there is a lot of fly-by-night quasi-legal looking cabs around here, and I sometime wonder if the driver is going to drive me off into the woods and murder me.

Obviously, nothing bad has happened to me yet. I'm not sure if I'm unduly stressing myself by being hyper suspicious of everyone, or if it is a good thing that I'm always on guard.
You worry too much. And might be paranoid.
Old 09-09-12, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on the situation but I mostly trust people.
Old 09-09-12, 06:41 PM

I would say that you are being paranoid, but just what I know of you, you may want to watch out.
Old 09-09-12, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

I hate people, especially after working for many years lower tier jobs in Corporate America you see the lowest scum of the earth.
Politicians, Lawyers & Bankers and their ass kissing minions are some scary mother fuckers.
Old 09-09-12, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't trust people, but not like the OP is talking about

I have never thought my barber (or anyone) was going to slit my throat or kill me

I think most people in general (the public at large) are out to get something for themselves at my expense.

Especially if someone I don't know just starts talking to me for no reason, that get's me suspicious of what they are up to (unless there is some obvious reason to be talking)
Old 09-09-12, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 169 Likes on 116 Posts

Hold my wallet for a second and I'll tell you.
Old 09-09-12, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
I don't trust people, but not like the OP is talking about

I have never thought my barber (or anyone) was going to slit my throat or kill me

I think most people in general (the public at large) are out to get something for themselves at my expense.

Especially if someone I don't know just starts talking to me for no reason, that get's me suspicious of what they are up to (unless there is some obvious reason to be talking)
I pretty much agree with this. It's a dog eat dog world and, for the most part, the vast majority of people will screw others in an attempt to better themselves.

There are relatively few homicidal psychopaths lurking around out there though so you're probably ok getting into a cab or getting a shave. However, most people are extremely dumb and irresponsible and therefore are a danger to those around them so you always should be aware of your surroundings and be on the lookout for people trying to take advantage of you either though violence or not.
Old 09-10-12, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 413 Likes on 202 Posts

Was the barber shop on Fleet Street?
Old 09-10-12, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

I know the fear of a Sweeney Todd barber sounds a bit extreme, but I've always been nervous around razors. Also, while he was working away, some guy came out of the backroom and went to the front door, and I was thinking he was going to lock it. The barber shop is on a real shady street (lots of hookers, druggies and random troublemakers).

However, I got a ton of "Nice haircuts" over the rest of the day.
Old 09-10-12, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

Yea. I trust people all the time. I always put myself out there. I think it has something to do with my risk taking personality.

I still think that mostly people suck, though. I'm left mostly disappointed.
Old 09-10-12, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by troystiffler View Post
Yea. I trust people all the time. I always put myself out there. I think it has something to do with my risk taking personality.

I still think that mostly people suck, though. I'm left mostly disappointed.
I put myself out there all the time. I stopped when I realized that "outgoing" was synonymous with "manic" for me, and it really led me into a lot of dangerous situations.
Old 09-10-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I trust no one until they've earned that trust. After a while, they can start by picking my nose delicately. Once they've cleaned out my nostril, welcome to the inner circle!
Old 09-10-12, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Considering my job I am extremely trusting in most normal circumstances.
Old 09-10-12, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

However, I got a ton of "Nice haircuts" over the rest of the day.
The people saying that are the ones to worry about. They compliment you in an effort to seem friendly, while waiting for you to turn your back so they can knock your ass out and steal your wallet.

My advice to you on encountering someone who is a little "too" friendly: shoot them them in the head.

It's the only way to be sure.

Wait - maybe I'm mixing up "being courteous" with "protecting yourself from zombies". I frequently get those two confused.
Old 09-10-12, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 348 Likes on 203 Posts

Well, I don't trust any of you guys any farther than I could spit you.
Old 09-10-12, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 441 Likes on 350 Posts

Depends on varying situations, I don't trust most strangers.
Old 09-10-12, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Old 09-10-12, 03:51 PM

I've never been able to truly relax and enjoy getting a blowjob due to my irrational fear that my wonderful loving girlfriend might suddenly get the urge to bite my dick off.
Old 09-10-12, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 348 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard View Post
I've never been able to truly relax and enjoy getting a blowjob due to my irrational fear that my wonderful loving girlfriend might suddenly get the urge to bite my dick off.
That's what dental gags are for.

Old 09-10-12, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
That's what dental gags are for.

Mr. Danger is a very lucky man.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.