Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there a best cholesterol medication?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Is there a best cholesterol medication?

Old 09-11-12, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts
Re: Is there a best cholesterol medication?

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
For your health your really going to hang your hat on "for all I know". Really?

Why not shoot for lower? What is the downside?
The downside, hmmm, let me see, being on a drug for the rest of my life?

Remember, I watched a prescription kill my father. One he didn't absolutely need to be on. I don't believe in popping pills for everything like some do.
Old 09-11-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post

Remember, I watched a prescription kill my father. One he didn't absolutely need to be on. I don't believe in popping pills for everything like some do.
I dont either. As you can read from my posts.

But I didn't and I would never recommend your health being "for all I know". And my point for shooting for a lower number was not to take drugs. It was to excersize more and eat better.

When I started on BP meds I had to take pretty high dosage and a combo pill just to get down to 125-130/85-90. But while being on the meds I got in better health but certainly understood just because it was regularly 120/80 was not enough to change what I was doing. So kept working at it till it was so low that I sometimes got dizzy. Which is when dr agreed to make changes (and that when he pushed back I told if I was staying on them I wanted to try generic).

And sorry about your dad. But I'm with you. Im taking pills as a last resort only. I'm taking nothing now. I rarely take even asperine.

Besides, I'm convinenced the best drug for curing everything is exercise. Until it is proven it wont work for you.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hig...essure/HI00024

Last edited by Sdallnct; 09-11-12 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-11-12, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only downside to not getting your LDL as low as possible is possibly dying sooner. But if it means that much to you to not taking a pill......

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-man...wer-heart-risk

The results showed that for approximately every 40-point drop in LDL achieved with statin therapy, there was a corresponding 10% reduction in risk of heart-related complications in the first year of treatment. But that reduction in heart disease risk rose to 20%-30% in each successive year of treatment.

Analyzing the data at the end of five years, the researchers show that the overall risk of heart-related problems was reduced by about 20% for each 40-point drop in LDL cholesterol.

In particular, the nearly 40-point decrease in LDL cholesterol levels achieved with statin treatment was associated with the following benefits:

12% reduced risk of death due to any cause
19% reduction in heart-related death
23% reduced risk of heart attack
24% reduction in the need for heart surgery to restore blood flow to the heart (coronary revascularization)
17% reduced risk of stroke
Old 09-11-12, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nugent View Post
The only downside to not getting your LDL as low as possible is possibly dying sooner. But if it means that much to you to not taking a pill......

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-man...wer-heart-risk
I'm not going to dig up the links right now but there are many horror stories out there about the side effects of statins. So I can a live little longer with muscle deterioration, memory problems and who knows what else? No thanks. You guys keep taking what you're told - after all, all research is always right on the money and impartial.
Old 09-12-12, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not going to dig up the links right now but there are many horror stories out there about the side effects of statins. So I can a live little longer with muscle deterioration, memory problems and who knows what else? No thanks. You guys keep taking what you're told - after all, all research is always right on the money and impartial.
Really? Some all drs and drug companies are able to hide that all people suffer these effects?

All drugs can have side effects. Not all do to all people. And for most things there are multiple drug and dosage options. I personally hate drugs which is why I got in better health. But I'm also not so stubborn to just think "for all I know" and "who know what else" is the way to go.

But lets go with your belief. Have you changed you eating and added exercise to improve yourself without drugs? Or do you feel there are to many side effects with that as well?

I do believe (and I know this is totally ground breaking) that the vast majority of people can substantially improve their overall health with proper eating and exercise. However most people don't. And even world class athletes need help on occasion. But you won't know unless one is to get in better shape.

Even my dr as I got in shape, as he charted it, as I went in every 6 months openly told me he didn't believe I could make the needed changes. He never once suggested an exercise, a workout routine, how often I should work out, etc.

Or maybe you believe that those studies about proper eating and exercise aware wrong as well.
Old 09-12-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Please point to where I said all doctors hide it. But I don't doubt these statin side effects have presented more often in actual clinical situations than the trials. How else do you explain why so many people go off them in less than 6 months?

I have made a personal decision to affect my health with diet and exercise before even introducing the possibility of the side effects which are very real for statins. My doctor agreed we should try this first. Can I make any of this more clearer for you?
Old 09-12-12, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Please point to where I said all doctors hide it. But I don't doubt these statin side effects have presented more often in actual clinical situations than the trials. How else do you explain why so many people go off them in less than 6 months?

I have made a personal decision to affect my health with diet and exercise before even introducing the possibility of the side effects which are very real for statins. My doctor agreed we should try this first. Can I make any of this more clearer for you?
Nope. And I guess I misunderstood. I thought you were refusing drugs and were still dangerously high.

Good luck in your efforts and check out the biggest loser thread for better health and fitness ideas.
Old 09-12-12, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is a trainwreck.
Old 09-12-12, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 449 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
This thread is a trainwreck.
Yep, you have tons of people with nominal experience commenting on an issue the conventional medical establishment hasn't dealt with very well. Drugs are but a small part of the answer, but lifestyle changes are much tougher to prescribe to patients. I strongly encourage reading the above book.
Old 09-14-12, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Medicine is secondary. Your diet and daily routine are primary factors

Avoid red meat, oil, fried stuff
Exercise regularly and jogging/running helps a lot!

I had never set my foot in gym in the first 32 years of my life. Now i feel guilty if i skip gym for even 1 day. Brought my HDL/LDL/Tri-glycerides to acceptable level and weight down from 190 lbs to 155 lbs in 6 months flat. Never felt so much fit.