Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there a best cholesterol medication?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Is there a best cholesterol medication?

Old 09-07-12, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 454 Likes on 391 Posts
Re: Is there a best cholesterol medication?

Start reading this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Track-Your-Plaque-prevention-coronary/dp/0595316646/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347080205&sr=1-6&keywords=dr.+william+davis

Here is the Doctor's blog that wrote the above book:
http://blog.trackyourplaque.com/
Old 09-08-12, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

And FYI, many people on statins suffer side effects. Like, similar to dementia.
Old 09-08-12, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 555 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan View Post
And FYI, many people on statins suffer side effects. Like, similar to dementia.
Well I just took my first one and no dementia yet pacman. Thanks spaghetti socks.
Old 09-08-12, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 446 Likes on 316 Posts

I take 20mg of simvastatin every night before bed. Change of diet and increased exercise did nothing. Haven't had any side effects.
Old 09-08-12, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 522 Likes on 246 Posts

I've been taking Lovastatin for years and it works like a charm. I did take Lipitor before that, but Lovastatin is a generic and I'm cheap.

But not when it comes to groceries. No matter how cheap margarine is, it will never be allowed in my house. Butter, please.
Old 09-10-12, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
The best medication is a change of diet. I haven't been able to find any studies that convince me that taking medication to lower your cholesterol reduces your risk of heart disease.

Yes, it reduces your cholesterol, but there's no compelling evidence that this helps any, when you do it with medication.
Laughably bad disinformation.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=117121&page=1

About 85 percent of your blood cholesterol level is produced by your body. The other 15 percent or so comes from an external source aka your diet.
Good luck moving a dangerously high cholesterol level with diet and exercise alone.
Old 09-10-12, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 182 Likes on 156 Posts

The magic "pill" is eat right (most of the time) and exersice.

Since I have done that literally every measure have improved. Substantially. That is where you should go first.

Having said there are professional athletes that eat perfectly that have issues. It might be genetic. But you won't know if you don't try eating right and exercise.

And even if you are normal weight, you can be at risk. There is "skinny fat" or what is called Normal Weight Obesity.
Old 09-10-12, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nugent View Post
Laughably bad disinformation.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=117121&page=1

About 85 percent of your blood cholesterol level is produced by your body. The other 15 percent or so comes from an external source aka your diet.
Good luck moving a dangerously high cholesterol level with diet and exercise alone.
That is not what the article you posted says. And that is exactly how I lowered mine (with diet and exercise). Or maybe it went down on its own while I was eating right and exercising. And maybe it was just coincidence that my blood pressure went down as well.

Much more common sense approach,

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-man...ol-fast?page=1

And yes, if you are dangerously high, you should consider medication, while you take care of the diet and exercise which will take time to show results. I took blood pressure meds for nearly two years until I kicked its ass with eating right and exercise and now don't need them. And yes tho my cholesterol was only in the marginally high range my bad has dropped substantially while the good has improved a ton!

(oh you are commenting on the note about lowering cholestoral with medication has no benefit - yea, I agree, it needs to be lowered out of the danger zone. I prefer doing it myself than with drugs, tho something need the help).

Last edited by Sdallnct; 09-10-12 at 05:54 AM.
Old 09-10-12, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 821 Likes on 553 Posts

The goal should always be to use the meds short term...while, if possible...working to either reduce the need for the current dose or getting off the meds altogether.
Old 09-10-12, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
The goal should always be to use the meds short term...while, if possible...working to either reduce the need for the current dose or getting off the meds altogether.
Same for blood pressure too? I've been on 10 mg of lisinopril for maybe 3 years now. I've asked my doctor a few times if I can ever go off it and he said most likely not, especially since it appears to be more genetic...although I'll freely admit that my diet isn't great.

I was in the 140-150/90-95 range before the medication and ever since have been at 120/80 or lower. My doctor really hasn't stressed diet or exercise very much. Of course he suggests that I should eat well and exercise, but he hasn't REALLY stressed it. I'm probably 10-15 lbs overweight and it sure seems like if I started to really be a health nut that I could eventually get off the medication, but my doctor has implied that I'll most likely be on it for the rest of my life no matter what. It really doesn't bother me though. It's just not something I think about anymore.

Last edited by whoopdido; 09-10-12 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-10-12, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
So after a recent blood test (after they broke hundreds of needles before I gave them one I happen to have from Krypton) it turns out my Cholesterol is like 280 or something... which is bad. So I've got to go on some medication but some have side effects, some more effective than others, etc.. Just wondering what has worked for everyone else.

I know it can vary from individual to individual but I enjoy nothing more than putting my private life out there and following medical advice from strangers.

I'm not sure why it's so high. I've cut down my Jack-In-The-Box taco intake from 8 a day down to 6.. what more can I do?
I was on Simavastin (generic of Zocor), Just some minor side effects. Mixed the drug, with diet change (Lots of Fiber), and I dropped it from 270 to 149
Old 09-10-12, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 555 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
I was on Simavastin (generic of Zocor), Just some minor side effects. Mixed the drug, with diet change (Lots of Fiber), and I dropped it from 270 to 149
Great job. I told my Dr. I wanted on that but he said he didn't want to give me that because he was concerned about the side effects when taken with other drugs (which I don't take any other drugs.. but I guess it's for future planning..). Anyhow great job. So far no problems with this Lipitor stuff. I go back in 5 weeks for a recheck.
Old 09-10-12, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
Same for blood pressure too? I've been on 10 mg of lisinopril for maybe 3 years now. I've asked my doctor a few times if I can ever go off it and he said most likely not, especially since it appears to be more genetic...although I'll freely admit that my diet isn't great.

I was in the 140-150/90-50 range before the medication and ever since have been at 120/80 or lower. My doctor really hasn't stressed diet or exercise very much. Of course he suggests that I should eat well and exercise, but he hasn't REALLY stressed it. I'm probably 10-15 lbs overweight and it sure seems like if I started to really be a health nut that I could eventually get off the medication, but my doctor has implied that I'll most likely be on it for the rest of my life no matter what. It really doesn't bother me though. It's just not something I think about anymore.

Yes, BP meds as well. That is my case. However 120/80 is not low. I'm sure dr would not consider changes (you would drop dosage slowly over time) until it was considerably lower. My dr finally took action cause I told him when I got up off the floor from doing pushups I was getting light headed almost like I was going to pass out...

And in my experience most drs don't spend a lot of time on getting healthly (by the way, its not just the lbs, but where you carry it and lack of exercise) because simply most people won't do it. So why beat you up over something you won't do, might as well focus on what you will. Like taking meds.

And you have to be in charge. I change dr's when I was talking to him about lowing my meds. He said I'd have to lose a lot more weight than 10 lbs to do that. When I said, that was 10 lost just from my last visit, he said "oh you will need to lose more than 20..." when I explained that was total for the year he looked perplexed. I then explained I had lost 60 at that point. He literally didn't believe till he went in got my file from previous year. And then he still didn't want to make changes.

So I switched dr who immediately dropped the dosage a little. Then I got dizzy and he dropped it in half. Then to like the min, and eventually all together.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 09-10-12 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-10-12, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post

I was in the 140-150/90-95 range before the medication and ever since have been at 120/80 or lower. My doctor really hasn't stressed diet or exercise very much. Of course he suggests that I should eat well and exercise, but he hasn't REALLY stressed it. I'm probably 10-15 lbs overweight and it sure seems like if I started to really be a health nut that I could eventually get off the medication, but my doctor has implied that I'll most likely be on it for the rest of my life no matter what. It really doesn't bother me though. It's just not something I think about anymore.
Yeah, sounds like he knows you wont make any real effort to lose the weight to get you to a point where you can get off of them. He is like, here take this and make another appt in 3 mo.
Old 09-10-12, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Yes, BP meds as well. That is my case. However 120/80 is not low. I'm sure dr would not consider changes (you would drop dosage slowly over time) until it was considerably lower. My dr finally took action cause I told him when I got up off the floor from doing pushups I was getting light headed almost like I was going to pass out...

And in my experience most drs don't spend a lot of time on getting healthly (by the way, its not just the lbs, but where you carry it and lack of exercise) because simply most people won't do it. So why beat you up over something you won't do, might as well focus on what you will. Like taking meds.

And you have to be in charge. I change dr's when I was talking to him about lowing my meds. He said I'd have to lose a lot more weight than 10 lbs to do that. When I said, that was 10 lost just from my last visit, he said "oh you will need to lose more than 20..." when I explained that was total for the year he looked perplexed. I then explained I had lost 60 at that point. He literally didn't believe till he went in got my file from previous year. And then he still didn't want to make changes.

So I switched dr who immediately dropped the dosage a little. Then I got dizzy and he dropped it in half. Then to like the min, and eventually all together.
Old 09-10-12, 02:18 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Well it turns out I'm going to be prescribed atorvastatin (aka lipitor) .. I guess we'll see what happens.

If I start posting anything crazy or unreasonable in the future please let me know right away
You know, there's an election coming up. We're going to need you in top shape for razor sharp commentating.
Old 09-10-12, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts

I also was hitting 140ish/90-95 on BP and went on 10mg of lisinopril a couple years ago. Have neve rupped the dosage. I'm probably a good 50lbs overweight but I hide it well as I am tall and broad shouldered.

My home readings on the pill had typically been 125/82 or in that neighborhood.

I started doing the DASH diet (targets hypertension) and significantly reduced my sodium intake to a little under 2000mg a day. After doing that a few weeks I was in for a follow up and they got me at 120/80. Usually I still hit almost 140/85 at the doctor's since I get anxious over WTF is going to be wrong with me.

So I'm hoping that with several more months of this DASH diet, I'm going to get closer to a good weight, and more importantly, if I can demonstrate BP readings consistently lower than 120/80, maybe I can finally stop the meds. We'll see.
Old 09-10-12, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A lot of you are targeting 120/80 as "good". Anything above this is considered an increased risk.

I didn't have changes to my meds till I was consistently in the 100/65 range. And it wasnt out of line to get readings lower than that. I would think most dr wouldnt look at changes till you were much lower than that 120/80. For if you are at that with meds, you almost assuredly be above that with out. Which anything above that is the bad (or not good anyway).

http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-hi...w-your-numbers

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/blood-pressure/HI00043

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condit...64_Article.jsp
Old 09-10-12, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts

That's if you accept that everyone should run at the exact same numbers. For all I know I always ran a little high. Same goes for cholesterol.

I will say that after over 2 years on the drug I haven't had to increase dosage so either I'm not building a resistance to it, or my BO has gotten better.
Old 09-10-12, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm 30 and my cholesterol cholesterol was 228.

I don't eat as healthy as I can but I don't eat fast food all the time either. I think mine is genetics because I train in MMA 3-5 times per week.

The doctor told me to eat healthier, more veggies and less red meat and carbs. I'm also taking fish oil and red yeast rice.

I'll find out next month if it goes down.
Old 09-10-12, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Congrats on your success!

That is not what the article you posted says. And that is exactly how I lowered mine (with diet and exercise). Or maybe it went down on its own while I was eating right and exercising. And maybe it was just coincidence that my blood pressure went down as well.
Yes, the article I linked to was one small bit of thousands of bits of info that show lowering LDL will decrease events.

Your blood pressure dropped because you lost 50 lbs.

And yes, if you are dangerously high, you should consider medication, while you take care of the diet and exercise which will take time to show results. I took blood pressure meds for nearly two years until I kicked its ass with eating right and exercise and now don't need them. And yes tho my cholesterol was only in the marginally high range my bad has dropped substantially while the good has improved a ton!

(oh you are commenting on the note about lowering cholestoral with medication has no benefit - yea, I agree, it needs to be lowered out of the danger zone. I prefer doing it myself than with drugs, tho something need the help).

I will repeat what I said in more detail. If you have dangerously high LDL cholesterol of 200 plus and a goal of sub 100 LDL 99% of the time you will NOT reach that goal with diet and exercise alone. The ATP III guidelines of course say to start with diet and exercise. You donít give any actual numbers but I am going to go out on a limb and say you didnít move it from 200 plus LDL to sub 100 LDL with diet and exercise.

If someone can reach their target lipid numbers without the use of drugs that's great. People just need to be realistic with how much diet can help lower very high LDL numbers.

Lifestyle modifications make sense for anyone with elevated cholesterol. But if your cardiovascular risk is high, you may also need to take a cholesterol-lowering drug. Michael Richman, MD, medical director of the Center for Cholesterol Management in Los Angeles, calls drug therapy "the only thing that will work fast" to lower high cholesterol. "Everyone should do the basics, like stopping smoking and losing weight," Richman tells WebMD. "But these things lower the risk only modestly. They're nothing to write home about."

Beckerman agrees. "Lifestyle modifications are important, but we should also be emphasizing the benefits of medication when appropriate," he says.

Several types of cholesterol-lowering medication are available, including niacin, bile acid resins, and fibrates. But statins are the treatment of choice for most individuals. "Statins can lower LDL cholesterol by 20% to 50%" says Pamela Peeke, MD, assistant professor of medicine at the University of Maryland School of Medicine in Baltimore
Finally, people should pay no attention to any medical advice found on DVD message boards. If you have elevated LDL north of 200 and have a history of stroke, heart attack or other risk factors in your family by all means see a physician and get on a plan to lower that number.
Old 09-10-12, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well it is certainly easy to say that people can't do it with diet and exercise alone because most people don't change to make diet and exercise a part of their life.

And im now at -96 lbs.

And its not about losing weight. It's better health. Losing weight in and of itself does not = better health.

And I agree with you. For some genetics plays to big of a role to overcome and medication is needed.

And in my example that worked for me, my BP was high. I did take meds until my diet and exercise kicked in. Then I didn't need them. I was monitored by my dr as he changed my dosage. There is no reason one couldn't try similar with cholestoral. If it high, take meds. Excercise and eat better. If it drops you can adjust dosage and adjust and monitor.

Unfortunatly most will find it easier to pop a pill and not make the needed changes. And = Unfortunatly, drs find it easier the if something is working why change.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 09-10-12 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-10-12, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
That's if you accept that everyone should run at the exact same numbers. For all I know I always ran a little high. Same goes for cholesterol.

I will say that after over 2 years on the drug I haven't had to increase dosage so either I'm not building a resistance to it, or my BO has gotten better.
For your health your really going to hang your hat on "for all I know". Really?

Why not shoot for lower? What is the downside?
Old 09-10-12, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Nugent View Post
Congrats on your success!

Finally, people should pay no attention to any medical advice found on DVD message boards. If you have elevated LDL north of 200 and have a history of stroke, heart attack or other risk factors in your family by all means see a physician and get on a plan to lower that number.
Did Devlin McGregor send you a check this month? Any one armed men come snooping around your house?

But seriously....Agreed, talk to your doctor. Do what's right for YOU. But also talk to other doctors. Do your research.

Doctors don't know everything and frankly they love pushing meds on us like candy. It's a multi-billion dollar med pushing industry and hearing that there may be another ways to deal with some medical issues pisses them off. As mentioned, some of the drug pushing comes from Doctors getting tired of telling their patients to lose and weight and eat healthy when they know damn well the patients ignore them. It's just easier to put them on meds and call it a day. They did their part right? Riiiiight.

Don't be so quick to just buy everything these doctors say, GET MORE THAN ONE OPINION...TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR HEALTH.
Old 09-11-12, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Did Devlin McGregor send you a check this month? Any one armed men come snooping around your house?

But seriously....Agreed, talk to your doctor. Do what's right for YOU. But also talk to other doctors. Do your research.

Doctors don't know everything and frankly they love pushing meds on us like candy. It's a multi-billion dollar med pushing industry and hearing that there may be another ways to deal with some medical issues pisses them off. As mentioned, some of the drug pushing comes from Doctors getting tired of telling their patients to lose and weight and eat healthy when they know damn well the patients ignore them. It's just easier to put them on meds and call it a day. They did their part right? Riiiiight.

Don't be so quick to just buy everything these doctors say, GET MORE THAN ONE OPINION...TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR HEALTH.
This! Dr also push meds because it is quick, easy and protects themselves. They are running a business.

And your right, even my dr who is solid, told me to drastically reduce eating whole eggs as my cholestoral crept up. He said no more than 2 per week. I told him that current research is showing eggs don't increase cholestoral and in fact are the "new" wonder food. He said no. So i went in the opposite direction, eating 3-4 eggs per day. I lost a little more weight added a little more exercise and my cholestoral went down. When I told him, his answer was "well it seems to work for you".

Of course, I also kept an open mind. If my cholestoral had gone up I would have cut back. But that is more to the point I feel. Do something. Make a change. Monitor and change. It's not all rocket science. When I was fat and they put me on BP meds I asked which one. His highly scientific response was "we put you on one and see what happens". And when they cut me back, I feel part of it was yes I was getting dizzy, but also I told him I wanted to try a generic. Even with my prescription card it was over $30 a month. And tho he said mine wasn't available yet in generic, I took him a list of $4.00 generic's that I wanted to try instead of what I was on. My guess is he figured if we were going to make a change and do something might as well be to get off them all together.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.