Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

So whilst i am away the thieves are at play.

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 08-31-12, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

On a work trip to Chicago at the moment and got a call from my girlfriend this afternoon telling me that whilst she was at a job interview during the morning our apartment was broken into. They managed to literally take everything i own (including a Blu ray collection of around 500 movies), 42 Inch Plasma, my watch collection, all my girlfriends jewelry, my PS3 and all my games, Wii and all games, my Alienware desktop my laptop, my iPad....shit the list goes on. I have no desire at this moment to go back and wish i could stay where i am and simply start afresh away from that shit. Only moved in to my girlfriends apartment 2 months ago and i find out today she doesn't have any insurance. Oh great.

Just glad my girlfriend is safe. Trying to be positive...but easier said than done.
Old 08-31-12, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: So whilst i am away the thieves are at play.

This sucks .. sorry to hear about this. Hopefully they catch whoever did this and you can get some of your stuff back.
Old 08-31-12, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn that is terrible. I'm feeling pain reading all that was stolen.
Old 08-31-12, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cheers mate. The one good thing is that i had a couple of watches that are pretty impossible to buy to in my neck of the woods, so i am posting pics of the watches to all my friends and asking them to post around to their friends in case anyone sees them. Also gonna make some flyers to post around the city in case anyone sees the watches (they are very unique looking and easy to identify) to call me with details. Finally i have a friend who is an FBI agent and will try to talk with him about what i could do to be proactive.

The worst thing is that they stole my fathers wedding ring that he carried for 49 years (he was only ever married to my mother) and he gave it to me on his death bed last Christmas. It had no real value, but that can never be replaced for me.
Old 08-31-12, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, sorry to hear this. Did none of your apartment neighbors see anything? With all of that stuff taken, I can't imagine that they were in and out within minutes. That was quite a haul, especially the 42-inch tv. I'd be massively upset, but I'm glad your girl is safe.
Old 08-31-12, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude that sucks. Sorry.
Old 08-31-12, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well to get into the apartment they need to go through a wooden gated door, a wood door and then a padlocked gate. Apparently they had some kind of cutting equipment that made their life sooooooo much easier. I have tried playing detective though since hearing about this and i checked on the local classifieds and what a coincidence.....a 42 inch plasma, same model as mine, just up for sale in my area. Called the girlfriend and told her to get one of her male friends to call the number provided and both of them go check it out. She might have a chance to see any of our other stuff at the place if its them and then call the cops on their front door as soon as they leave. Lets see.....but i am pretty bummed. Shame as well because i was having a great time in Chicago. Still got two more days, but kinda taken the wind out of my sails.
Old 08-31-12, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, and no one saw anything. Most people around work 8am-5pm, so kinda not surprised. I need to check when i get back if there is any local CCTV (doubt it in my area). Trying to be proactive even though i am not at home.
Old 08-31-12, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 102 Posts

I feel your pain. When I was living in my last apartment, a few months before I bought my townhouse in 2006, someone broke in. They didn't take any of my things except for jewelry, and what they got couldn't have been worth that much to them (the claim that was settled was for $4K), but the sentimental value was beyond calculation--my rings from my relationship in the 90s including a large diamond solitaire (I had kept them with the idea of having them re-set one day but never did), all the jewelry my favorite uncle had had designed for me over the years, etc. Thank God I was wearing my late mother's watch and wedding set (I wear them every day) or I would have lost them too.

Please call an insurance agent today and get some renters insurance. It is CHEAP. Money can't bring back your stuff, but it's better than eating your heart out.
Old 08-31-12, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your girlfriend usually home during the day? If so, what's the odds unless they were watching.

It sounds like they knew what you had to have made such a clean sweep and knew what tools they needed to get in. Any new acquaintances for either of you? My friend had his place broken into (An ederly neighbor actually watched them do it but didn't call the police.) By the description, it was his recent ex, not that he could do anything.

Totally sucks.
Old 08-31-12, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Damn, sorry to hear that. Good luck recovering and be very careful when dealing with the suspected thief on cl.
Old 08-31-12, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ugh, that's infuriating. Sorry to hear it.
Old 08-31-12, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

Is your address listed on your luggage?
Old 08-31-12, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This smells like an inside job.

Why do you not have renters insurance? for less than 100$ your crap would be covered.
Old 08-31-12, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Good to hear that you're okay but still sucks nonetheless. I watched local news last night and a robbery victim saw pictures of his stolen items posted on his iCloud account with his stolen iPad. Hopefully something turns up for you on the classifieds item.
Old 08-31-12, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenaline78 View Post
This smells like an inside job.
Very inside?

OP, how long have you been with your girlfriend?
Old 08-31-12, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Awful feeling when you get robbed. We got broken into about 15 years ago and (amongst other things) they took the things that my dad left me when he died. I would have loved to have run into the robbing bastard on his way out of my house, but he was long gone. Police came and fingerprinted, took statements etc. and then we never heard from them again.
Old 08-31-12, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Man that sucks and I hope the get caught and you get your shit back any cameras there? But as some have speculated it does sound like an inside job.
Old 08-31-12, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Have you tried the iPad search function? Did you set it up? Many stolen iPads have been recovered that way...
Old 08-31-12, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Maybe your iPad can tell you where it is, did you set it up to tell you its location?
Great minds think alike
Old 08-31-12, 11:20 AM

Did the police process the scene? Don't know where you live but there may have been evidence left behind by whoever did it (sounds like it would have had to have been 2 or 3 people). If you live in a larger city like NYC or LA, the cops may not really put too much effort into it but I would check.

The cops should have discussed with your girlfriend anything that was there that didn't belong to her or you. Stealing all that stuff requires some time and you would be surprised what thieves leave behind - hats, socks, shoes, gloves, other items of clothing. They may have drunk or eaten some food/drink you had and left the container in the trash (or on the counter). They may have smoked a cigarette. All of these are things that the cops should have collected for possible DNA testing.

FWIW - my job is to do forensic DNA testing at a state crime lab and with that much stuff being stolen, we would definitely work this case if it happening anywhere in my state - even the cities.
Old 08-31-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saudi-style justice is the only for house break-in thieves. Aside from the simple monetary loss, it's invasive, upsetting and obnoxious. The mentality a person has to have to break into someone else's home is beyond me. There's something primal about my complete hatred of that. Also, the thought of some asshole fingering my personal stuff assessing it only for what it's worth him/her to sell is just infuriating.
Old 08-31-12, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Very inside?

OP, how long have you been with your girlfriend?
I hate to say it but I was thinking the same thing. Have you noticed in changes in your girlfriend's behavior lately? It would be awful to think that she would have anything to do with it but in this day and age, you never know.
Old 08-31-12, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Sorry to hear about this, OP.

Like others, my first reaction was it being strange that it would take place during the day at a time when someone would normally be home (since the GF was at a job interview).

Could another off-the-wall possibility be that the girlfriend thinks this is a great practical joke to pull on the OP while he's away?
Old 08-31-12, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not as quick to suspect the girlfriend as others here, but how long have you been with her? How sure are you that she actually was at this "job interview"?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.