Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Valedictorian drops the H bomb in graduation speech and is denied her diploma!

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 08-21-12, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

School withholds valedictorian’s diploma for saying “hell”

PRAGUE, Okla.– There’s a bit of diploma drama going on between a local high school and that school’s valedictorian.

David Nootbaar is furious his daughter’s school is keeping her diploma.

He said, “She has worked so hard to stay at the top of her class and this is not right.”

Kaitlin Nootbaar graduated from Prague High School, the Red Devils, in May and was named valedictorian.

When tasked with writing the graduation speech, her dad said she got her inspiration from the movie “Eclipse: The Twilight Saga.”

Nootbaar said, “Her quote was, ‘When she first started school she wanted to be a nurse, then a veterinarian and now that she was getting closer to graduation, people would ask her, what do you want to do and she said how the hell do I know? I’ve changed my mind so many times.’”

He said in the written script she gave to the school she wrote “heck,” but in the moment she said “hell” instead.

Nootbaar said the audience laughed, she finished her speech to warm applause and didn’t know there was a problem.

That was until she went to pick up the real certificate this week.

“We went to the office and asked for the diploma and the principal said, ‘Your diploma is right here but you’re not getting it. Close the door; we have a problem,’” Nootbaar said.

He said the principal told Kaitlin she would have to write an apology letter before he would release the diploma.

A move her dad believes is illegal.

“She earned that diploma. She completed all the state curriculum. In four years she has never made a B. She got straight A’s and had a 4.0 the whole way through.”

Kaitlin starts college in a few days on a full scholarship, making the administrators’ decision even more appalling to her family.

We tried to get the school’s side of the story.

Superintendent Dr. Rick Martin said in a statement, “This matter is confidential and we cannot publicly say anything about it.”

Kaitlin doesn’t plan on writing an apology letter because she doesn’t feel she did anything wrong.

Her family supports that choice.

Kaitlin sent KFOR-TV this statement Monday afternoon:

“First off, I would like to thank everyone who is backing me on this, especially my friends and family. And to those who don’t agree with me, that is fine also. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and is free to comment however they choose. It’s one of the great advantages of living in a free country. A country where we are free to speak. I would also like to note that I do not hate Prague. I have loved that town since I was a child. I don’t hate the school either, the teachers have always been great! I don’t feel that the whole town should suffer from the mistakes of few. Again, thanks

The offender:

Old 08-21-12, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Valedictorian drops the H bomb in graduation speech and is denied her diploma!

I suspect she may be a child molester. They have a much higher rate of cursing at graduation speeches than the average person.
Old 08-21-12, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Valedictorian drops the H bomb in graduation speech and is denied her diploma!

What the hell is that principal's problem?
Old 08-21-12, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I support the ban. Not for her use of the word hell, but that she was inspired by Twilight.
Old 08-21-12, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
I support the ban. Not for her use of the word hell, but that she was inspired by Twilight.
Agree. How bright can she be?
Old 08-21-12, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Why would a school named the Devils be mad about someone saying hell?
Old 08-21-12, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 08-21-12, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
Agree. How bright can she be?
This was my issue as well.
Old 08-21-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 99 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
Yep...that explains it.
Old 08-21-12, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 132 Likes on 87 Posts

That's just stupid.

I never understood how the word "hell" can be thought of as a curse word.
Old 08-21-12, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
That's just stupid.

I never understood how the word "hell" can be thought of as a curse word.
I attended a very small private school for junior and senior year of high school. In my senior year, I was the student director of the school play, Richard Nash's "The Rainmaker."

Our school principal (who, like most of the student body, was devoutly Mormon) threw a fit the night before the opening because there were so many "damns" and "hells" in the script. (There weren't THAT many, but impish students actually threw in MORE during the dress rehearsal. )

The drama instructor stood up to her and the play went on as written. However, the instructor's contract for the next year was not renewed.
Old 08-21-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

As Valedictorian, she should have known the proper pronunciation is "H-E-double hockey sticks"
Old 08-21-12, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Our high school rule was that you'd get a day of detention for each letter in the cuss word. One day the principal overheard my friend say "what the hell?", the principal comes out of his office and takes my friend in. As soon as they go in the office and the door shuts I turn to my other friend and say "are you fucking serious?"... To this day I have no idea how he heard me with the door closed but he comes out and gives me 10 days worth of detention. 7 for the word 'fucking' and 3 more because I was stupid enough to say it right as he was giving someone else detention for cursing.

I got out of all 10 days of detention though, so suck it authority.
Old 08-21-12, 12:07 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 162 Likes on 122 Posts

She shouldn't pick up her diploma. She doesn't need it. No one ever asks to see your deploma in real life.
Old 08-21-12, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Seriously. Who displays their H.S. diploma? He**, who even knows where theirs is?
Old 08-21-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't go to graduation because I hated every motherfucker at that school. I never even went to pick it up. I have never even had it in my possession and I am doing fine.
Old 08-21-12, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
She shouldn't pick up her diploma. She doesn't need it. No one ever asks to see your deploma in real life.
Absolutely. Throw it back in this dick prinicpal's face that his piece of paper is worthless and his authority over her is over. She moves on to real life, he's left at a crummy high school with a bunch of loser kids.
Old 08-21-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MWB View Post

Kaitlin Nootbaar

Old 08-21-12, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Superintendent Dr. Rick Martin said in a statement, “This matter is confidential and we cannot publicly say anything about it.”
Apparently Super Nintendo Martin has changed his mind:

“My name is Rick Martin. I am the Superintendent at Prague Public Schools. This morning two news articles involving our school district and Kaitlin Nootbar [sic] , the valedictorian for the class of 2012, were brought to my attention. Unfortunately, I have not had any communication with any member of the Nootbar [sic] family regarding this matter. It has been reported that the district is denying Ms. Nootbar [sic] a diploma because of a statement made during the 2012 graduation exercises. My comments are limited to those matters already released to the media by the Nootbar [sic] family.

Valedictorians for Prague Public Schools earn this title through the achievement of academic excellence. Our school has traditionally allowed the valedictorian to speak as part of the district’s graduation ceremonies. Speakers are allowed significant freedom in their remarks but all speeches must be approved in advance as being appropriate for graduation exercises. In this case, Ms. Nootbar [sic] prepared an appropriate speech, which was approved by the high school principal. Unfortunately, she did not present the speech as written and used language that was inappropriate for a graduation exercise. Therefore, the high school principal requested a private apology for her transgression before releasing her diploma. His request was both reasonable and in keeping with established federal caselaw interpreting the First Amendment.

Ms. Nootbar [sic] is an outstanding student and her achievements have reflected positively on our district. It is my hope that the family will contact me personally so that this matter may be resolved between the proper parties.”

Old 08-21-12, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rick, you're doing a heckuva job.
Old 08-21-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MWB View Post

Rick Martin

Old 08-21-12, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
^ Seriously. Who displays their H.S. diploma? He**, who even knows where theirs is?
I don't even know where my college diploma is, and that one I'm actually proud of. I don't really need a piece of paper to prove it though.
Old 08-21-12, 12:53 PM
gamer for life

I am from OK...and my kids use Hell all the time...it is part of the school work I think...
Old 08-21-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

One day she'll be livin' in a big ol' city, and all he's ever gonna be is mean.
Old 08-21-12, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post

Back in 2009, I was working in Singapore. The company decided to get work passes for the American crew because some Labor folks were upset they hired Westerners for the gig and not Singaporeans. One of the things we had to provide was a High School Diploma. You had to have this or wouldn't be considered for the work pass.

Since I was already in Singapore, my poor wife had to dig through a ton of boxes in our garage to find my old High School shit and then scan the diploma for me.

I realized after the fact I could have just Photoshopped a diploma up. They said they'd verify each document but I'm pretty sure they didn't.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.