Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Thinking of joing a branch of the Military - Advice before I see a recruiter?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 08-19-12, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been seriously considering joining the military. Im already over 25 and would be considered old but Im in great shape (can still be better) and would like to give it one last hurrah! I also have a degree and Id like to travel before settling down. People tell me to join and Id go in as an officer and there are some benefits to joining. I plan on seeing a recruiter soon but Im going to list my concerns/questions below. If anyone has any advice or insights, its appreciated.

I DO NOT want a career in the military. Basically I want in and out for the SHORTEST period of time. I was thinking the National Guard cuz I read its 10 weeks, than I *think* I come back home and have to just give them a weekend a month and 2 full weeks a year.

I DO NOT want to see combat. People say that since Id go in as an officer that shouldn't be a problem. I also hear to be careful with Recruiters, that they are liars....ouch.

I want to get Veterans Preference. That fucking bill is now fucking me over in the pursuit of the career I want and Vets are getting the jobs just cuz they CAN over someone who has more skill, education, abilities, and DESIRE for a position. Shitty.

And hmmm, thats it for now. Im sure Ill get more as I research more and try to get more info.
Old 08-19-12, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Thinking of joing a branch of the Military - Advice before I see a recruiter?

My brother went into the Army as an officer and saw combat in Iraq. It might be different now.
Old 08-19-12, 11:23 PM

Re: Thinking of joing a branch of the Military - Advice before I see a recruiter?

Hey man. I'm currently in the Navy. Been in for about 2.5 years. I'm a nuclear reactor operator. As far as jobs in the military go, it is the highest paying, and will give you the best (second to none) options once you decide to get out. It is a 6 year obligation though. You will be able to serve on an aircraft carrier or like me, a nuclear powered submarine. Your degree will help you get in, since it is an extremely difficult door to have opened. Joining just to get Veterans preference however is an awful idea. You need to pick a job that can carry over into the civillian world. Just being a veteran is not enough anymore to land a job. Navy nukes are the most sought out veterans by the private industry. I can not talk about how good of a job being a nuke is. I'm 21 and I am absolutely set for life. No other job in the military even comes close to how much we get paid, I almost have a bachelors degree from the training alone, and just reenlisted for 2 years for $90,000 (tax free). Nuke is the way to go brother.
Old 08-19-12, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wanted to join one of those groups like EST, but they cost like $600! So, I decided to join the Army since you got like a... what? 6 or 8-week training program? Which is perfect for me! I'm gonna walk outta here a lean, mean, fightin' machine!
Old 08-19-12, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why would you go in as an officer? Don't you have to go to "officer school" to become an officer?
Old 08-19-12, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
Why would you go in as an officer? Don't you have to go to "officer school" to become an officer?
not if you have a bachelors degree.
Old 08-19-12, 11:47 PM

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

So, you want to go in for the shortest period of time, you don't want to see combat, and you want the same "perks" as those who served multiple tours in Afghanistan, Iraq, etc. Nice.
Old 08-19-12, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
not if you have a bachelors degree.
You still have to go to Officer's training. You just don't have to go to the ___ Academy, which is pretty much Miltary College.
Old 08-20-12, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by resinrats View Post
You still have to go to Officer's training. You just don't have to go to the ___ Academy, which is pretty much Miltary College.
So what's the benefit of going to one of the academies? From what I understand, the academies are EXTREMELY selective in who they accept. Doesn't seem right that I could graduate from "Bob's College", go to Officer's Training School and then end up exactly the same as somebody that graduated from West Point.
Old 08-20-12, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think it's really a good idea. You seem to be enlisting for all of the wrong reasons.

If you don't want to see combat and want the smoothest ride possible, consider in the Air Force. It's a 4 year commitment but the multiple people I've known in that branch as well as advice from others in different branches is that it's the one to be in. I almost joined myself but was over weight by a few pounds when MEPS rolled around.

Cutoff for new recruits is 26, though, so you'd just be making it.
Old 08-20-12, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
So, you want to go in for the shortest period of time, you don't want to see combat, and you want the same "perks" as those who served multiple tours in Afghanistan, Iraq, etc. Nice.
This. The military most likely is not a good fit for the OP. As for avoiding combat...the recruiter will tell you what you want to hear, but once you sign on the line you are basically the property of the US Gov't.
Old 08-20-12, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

What's wrong with that. Several of our most decorated and admirable leaders of the US did it this way.
Old 08-20-12, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was thinking the same thing

It is incredibly shallow of you to want to join just so you can get the perks of being a vet. It's kind of offensive to the people who went over there and lost friends or their own lives. If you don't want to see combat then don't join, that's the bottom line. There is no one that can promise you truthfully that you won't see combat. The recruiter will tell you that and ship you off the next day to Afghanistan possibly.
Old 08-20-12, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Unless things have changed, you don't automatically go in as an officer with a Bachelors degree. I knew lots of enlisted people when I was in the army who had their degrees--I even knew an enlisted lawyer (who didn't want to be a lawyer in the army--army lawyers get direct commissions). You may be guaranteed a slot in Officers Candidacy School, though, and become an officer once you pass.

My advice if you do go in: anything you're promised needs to be in writing. I can't tell you how many people showed up at basic training thinking that college loan forgiveness was automatic when it wasn't. They were told to read their contracts. No contract will promise no combat (and of course officers see combat).
Old 08-20-12, 01:23 AM
Banned by request

Join the Peace Corps. You'll get to travel, looks good on a resume, and you'll help people directly.
Old 08-20-12, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Join the Peace Corps. You'll get to travel, looks good on a resume, and you'll help people directly.
Old 08-20-12, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So what's the benefit of going to one of the academies? From what I understand, the academies are EXTREMELY selective in who they accept. Doesn't seem right that I could graduate from "Bob's College", go to Officer's Training School and then end up exactly the same as somebody that graduated from West Point.
Free school. As far as I know, there isn't a tuition to go to the academy. Also pretty much a guaranteed job as an officer. Also the prestige of going to West Point or Annapolis sure beats 'Bob's College' unless they went to an Ivy League. Good chance the people going to an Academy are much more into the military then the OP's desire just to have access to the VFW.
Old 08-20-12, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 08-20-12, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 145 Likes on 110 Posts

Unless I missed it, where was the part about serving your country?
Old 08-20-12, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe he misheard Kennedy's speech as. "Ask not what you can do for your country but what your country can do for you"
Old 08-20-12, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ravenous View Post
I want to get Veterans Preference.
Uh, don't you have to like be a veteran of a war for that? Like, combat and stuff.
Old 08-20-12, 07:04 AM

It's prestige. It's like the difference between graduating from Harvard University vs. Podunk University. Both have the same same degree. The Harvard grad, however, has a huge leg up on the Podunk grad.

The academy grad may start out with the same rank as the other guy, but is more likely to rise to the top.
Old 08-20-12, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been in 6 years as an officer in the Navy, my dad was enlisted in the Army for 23 years, and I've trained with both Air Force and Marines so I've had exposure to the basics of each service Some good some bad from each.

First off to become an officer you would have to go through OCS (or whatever they call it in the other services). Consider this boot camp. You have to apply for it just like any other job. Keep in mind that the military is not taking just anyone anymore. With the economy still recovering alot of people see the military as an easy go to, but because of this the military can be more selective with who they want, especially officer. We don't have the funding to keep what we have, so adding more is just not in the budget. Also harder considering the Navy, Army, and Air Force get almost half their officers from their respective military colleges, then most of the rest from ROTC units in other colleges.

Enlisted is a bit different, but still going to be tough to get exactly what you want due to the same funding/many applicants. Time obligations range from 2-4 years with a commitment of at least 8 years in the Individual Ready Reserves, meaning if they need you, you will be called.

I don't know what you consider "combat" but generally i would expect to be sent somewhere during your time in. The Air Force is the least likely to see real combat, as is the Navy in the traditional sense of active fighting. If you join the Navy though, expect to go on a deployment and underway if you end up in the surface navy which most people do. Even administrative positions go on deployment with whoever they are attached to.

Honestly, it sounds like you want all of the benefits and none of the work. Just like a civilian job, that doesn't fly. You attitude comes off as you think the military should feel lucky to have you. I wouldn't walk into a recruiting station with that attitude. Probably wont get you far with them. Have prepared questions to ask the recruiter, but putting high numbers on his fitrep looks good, so some of his answers may be skewed or worse. You are also 25, which means you are running out of time to even go in. 27 is the cut off with many of the services, and like i said, your competiting against 18 year olds who they view as more of an opportunity than you.

I'm an NFO(Goose in Top Gun) on P-3s and I love my job. I also miss it. I came off my second deployment and it was time to transfer to shore duty. I'm currently in Italy working to train bases for emergency situations. Not the most fun, but I'm in Europe so i can't complain much. Everyones experiences are different, so if you do decide to go in and you don't get what you want, keep an open mind and stay positive. You get out what you put in thats for sure.
Old 08-20-12, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bippitty View Post
It's prestige. It's like the difference between graduating from Harvard University vs. Podunk University. Both have the same same degree. The Harvard grad, however, has a huge leg up on the Podunk grad.

The academy grad may start out with the same rank as the other guy, but is more likely to rise to the top.
That used to be true, but with the changing military that is not the case anymore. The benefit to an Academy now is the totally free education and living expenses, something you can't get from ROTC or OCS.
Old 08-20-12, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

People in this thread are making me question my B.A. from Podunk U and my master's from Bob's College. Does everyone else's B.A. have a picture of Mr. T on it?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.