Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Law advice needed (child college payment)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Law advice needed (child college payment)

Old 08-15-12, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Law advice needed (child college payment)

Originally Posted by chino77 View Post
Also the decree is very vague. It doesn't mention percentages or money at all. Just that they will pay for college and have a mutual agreement on the school.

Thats the law here in the state of illinois. Every divorce decree has the verbage that the parents will split the cost. a guy at work is going through the same thing right now.. The kids just think they have it coming no matter what the parents can really afford..

And why is it that kids think there parents are expected to pay their college tuituion? Like they have it coming. I mean I want my kids to go to college and I will help them as much as I can but depending on the school they choose there may be no way I can pay the tuition.

Last edited by ANDREMIKE; 08-15-12 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-15-12, 01:04 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It's amazing to me how divorced parents are forced by law to pay for something they wouldn't be legally obligated to pay if they stayed married.
Old 08-15-12, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah I'm confused about that too. Not to mention the kids aren't minors anymore, so why are the parents obligated in any way legally past age 18?

I went to college right after HS even though I didn't think it would be right for me, and after 5 semesters I had enough of wasting my parent's (and my own) money via loans for something I was not interested in completing. So at age 20 I was more than aware the hardship it was putting on my parents. I don't think it's unreasonable for an 18 year old to recognize the hardship. At 18 I was already working 20-25 hours a week at UPS (not easy work back then) in addition to school. I helped where I could.
Old 08-15-12, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
It's amazing to me how divorced parents are forced by law to pay for something they wouldn't be legally obligated to pay if they stayed married.
I'm waiting for the article where little johnny hires a private investigator when he's 17 to catch his dad fucking the receptionist at his work so he can tell mom and get them divorced so he can be a lazy fuck and not work to pay his own way through college.
Old 08-15-12, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
An 18 year old with no credit history isn't going to get the loans to pay for college without a parent cosigning.

And given that classes will be starting in two or three weeks, it might not even be possible to get a loan in time.
Bullshit...never heard of a guaranteed student loan or Stafford Loan?

Tuition can be deferred until the loan papers go through showing what he will get.

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
oops, glad it all got worked out.

Welcome to Other....we judge. And we only need to know your height and hair color to do so.

That is what I get for replying a post several days old

Last edited by d2cheer; 08-15-12 at 03:43 PM.