Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Law advice needed (child college payment)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Law advice needed (child college payment)

Old 08-11-12, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Law advice needed (child college payment)

Originally Posted by chino77 View Post
He's Hispanic and his dad doesn't want him in debt when he gets out of college. He told him he shouldn't even work. That college is for fun. The guy is an idiot.
Way to go dad! Nothing surprises me anymore. Keep on fucking up our future! THANKS DAD!
Old 08-11-12, 12:41 PM

The kid should apply for financial aid and put both parent's incomes on the forms. If i remember correctly, the aid forms will determine how much , if anything, the parents contribution will be. When I went to school, my parents owned a restaurant but due to all the money they had to pay out, I was eligible for a pell grant and also took out loans. Have your wife take the kid and go see the financial aid officer at the school he intends to attend and have them help figure out. Don't go by just what the ex husband says. The financial aid office was a huge help when I went to school. Other than that, tell the kid he needs to take out loans for whatever his father can't pay for cause obviously his mother can't help pay and tell him when he graduates with a degree that he can't get a decent income from, your door is open to him to move in
Old 08-11-12, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by pelenor View Post
The kid should apply for financial aid and put both parent's incomes on the forms. If i remember correctly, the aid forms will determine how much , if anything, the parents contribution will be. When I went to school, my parents owned a restaurant but due to all the money they had to pay out, I was eligible for a pell grant and also took out loans. Have your wife take the kid and go see the financial aid officer at the school he intends to attend and have them help figure out. Don't go by just what the ex husband says. The financial aid office was a huge help when I went to school. Other than that, tell the kid he needs to take out loans for whatever his father can't pay for cause obviously his mother can't help pay and tell him when he graduates with a degree that he can't get a decent income from, your door is open to him to move in
He already has about 3k in financial aid. Pel and state.
Old 08-11-12, 12:55 PM

He already has about 3k in financial aid. Pel and state.
Old 08-11-12, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by DirkUSA View Post
Why the eye roll?
Old 08-11-12, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The kid's parents got divorced and he gets a free education out of the bargain. I think he probably deserves it. I think I'd try to find a way to get the loans, etc. You marry with baggage, you deal with baggage. Sorry, man.
Old 08-11-12, 01:17 PM

Why would he deserve it?
Old 08-11-12, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Because it was agreed to by two adults in a divorce decree.
Old 08-11-12, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why would he deserve it?
And if he picked up his dads DNA then he needs all the education he can get or that same dna is probably going to make him a darwin winner. I'm surprised dad is still around at this point.
Old 08-11-12, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by glassdragon View Post
And if he picked up his dads DNA then he needs all the education he can get or that same dna is probably going to make him a darwin winner. I'm surprised dad is still around at this point.
I'm curious where you're drawing this conclusion from? What we've been told about the father:

1) He's Hispanic
2) and his dad doesn't want him in debt when he gets out of college.
3) He told him he shouldn't even work.
4) That college is for fun.
5) The guy is an idiot.

Since the source is biased, I'm discounting (5) entirely. Of the remaining points, only (4) is bad, and, again, we're hearing this from a biased source so we really don't know what exactly the dad said. I don't think this is enough to conclude the dad is a Darwin Award waiting to happen.
Old 08-11-12, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
I'm curious where you're drawing this conclusion from? What we've been told about the father:

1) He's Hispanic
2) and his dad doesn't want him in debt when he gets out of college.
3) He told him he shouldn't even work.
4) That college is for fun.
5) The guy is an idiot.

Since the source is biased, I'm discounting (5) entirely. Of the remaining points, only (4) is bad, and, again, we're hearing this from a biased source so we really don't know what exactly the dad said. I don't think this is enough to conclude the dad is a Darwin Award waiting to happen.

3 + 4 = 5

The guy needs to grow up and start being a parent instead of telling his kid to make horrible choices to A) Not work B)Do nothing in college but have "fun". The guy doesn't at all sound like a good parent from just those 2 points.

Honestly, if that is the shit he's telling the kid then I wouldn't want to pay half of college either. It is just wasted money if he keeps condoning that. He's trying to raise Van Wilder
Old 08-11-12, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just tell them that you are gay and that you are disowning him because you cannot support his heterosexual tendencies. It would be better if you tell him through a handwritten note though. It shows that you are serious.
Old 08-11-12, 04:14 PM

3 + 4 = 5

The guy needs to grow up and start being a parent instead of telling his kid to make horrible choices to A) Not work B)Do nothing in college but have "fun". The guy doesn't at all sound like a good parent from just those 2 points.

Honestly, if that is the shit he's telling the kid then I wouldn't want to pay half of college either. It is just wasted money if he keeps condoning that. He's trying to raise Van Wilder
I would assume that the "not working" goes for while the son is in school. The only person not working in this whole scenario, as far as I can tell, is the OP.

Really, OP has three likely options
1) talk to bankruptcy attorney and see if this can be discharged as a debt, 2) have OP's wife get a 2nd job and do what she previously agreed to do... 3) do nothing and risk getting held in contempt of court.
Old 08-11-12, 04:18 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think someone should be tased. Not sure who yet.
Old 08-11-12, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
I would assume that the "not working" goes for while the son is in school. The only person not working in this whole scenario, as far as I can tell, is the OP.

Really, OP has three likely options
1) talk to bankruptcy attorney and see if this can be discharged as a debt, 2) have OP's wife get a 2nd job and do what she previously agreed to do... 3) do nothing and risk getting held in contempt of court.
Seems pretty cut and dry to me that he is telling his son to NOT work while he is in school and let his mother (who can't afford to do so) carry him. That is a horrible standard to set on a kid to tell him to have everyone else carry you through life.
Old 08-11-12, 06:04 PM
gamer for life

He would have to go to a jr college

He lived with her until soph yr in high school. Then he moved to his dads so he could be in a better school district. Child support was rarely paid by the dad. She didn't pay any child support while he was living at his dads and he never asked her to. She did pay for his school and multiple other things though.
having not seen your divorce agreement I am just guessing, but I would think that there was an amount of money that was to be paid to your wife when you son lived with her. If it was me, I would try to work out the amount of unpaid child support along with any expenses that were never paid and then send that amount to the father. I would guess it would add up to more than 8000 dollars. Not sure how that part would hold up in court because your wife never pursued the money, but it is worth a shot.
Old 08-11-12, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry but this kid didn't just show up after an episode of Maury. He's been going to school and having birthdays. I am assuming someone talked to him about his plans for the future and what he wants to do after high school. This to be honest shouldn't have come as a surprise.
Old 08-11-12, 06:13 PM

Can her son get a student loan without the dad knowing? He said he would but I thought I read before that students under 21 need both parents present to sign papers.
Old 08-11-12, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by chowderhead View Post
Sorry but this kid didn't just show up after an episode of Maury. He's been going to school and having birthdays. I am assuming someone talked to him about his plans for the future and what he wants to do after high school. This to be honest shouldn't have come as a surprise.
The legal action is the surprise. Her ex kept telling her that she needed to pay and she said she couldn't and he would have to get student loans just like she did when she went to college.
Old 08-11-12, 07:09 PM
Political Exile

The legal action is the surprise. Her ex kept telling her that she needed to pay and she said she couldn't and he would have to get student loans just like she did when she went to college.
Sort of comes down to signing the divorce decree
Old 08-11-12, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also it should be noted that we don't live frivously our only bill that isn't important is Comcast $60 a month. Everything else is mortgage, car payment, food, medical, ect.
Anything in there look out of place? Anything at all....take a good look. Oh there it is....car payment. I'm sorry but you're going to need to provide specifics on that.(yearly salary, what's owed, how many miles do you drive it, etc) I realize it's been wired into our heads that it's just normal, but it really does belong on the frivolous list.
Old 08-11-12, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Anything in there look out of place? Anything at all....take a good look. Oh there it is....car payment. I'm sorry but you're going to need to provide specifics on that.(yearly salary, what's owed, how many miles do you drive it, etc) I realize it's been wired into our heads that it's just normal, but it really does belong on the frivolous list.
Not when she needs her car for work. Unless she is supposed to hitchhike to get to her works different branches. So no it doesn't belong on the frivolous list.
Old 08-11-12, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Philzilla View Post
Sort of comes down to signing the divorce decree
She was young and it was about 16 yrs ago. She didn't remember it was on there and he never brought it up in all the bitching he did.
Old 08-11-12, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seems pretty cut and dry to me that he is telling his son to NOT work while he is in school and let his mother (who can't afford to do so) carry him. That is a horrible standard to set on a kid to tell him to have everyone else carry you through life.
Yes, he told his son to focus on his studies while his ex-wife lived up to what she'd agreed to in the divorce.

Why would it be a surprise? She agreed to pay as part of the divorce. She's refusing. School starts in less than a month. What recourse does the father have?
Old 08-11-12, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Yes, he told his son to focus on his studies while his ex-wife lived up to what she'd agreed to in the divorce.

Why would it be a surprise? She agreed to pay as part of the divorce. She's refusing. School starts in less than a month. What recourse does the father have?
No he told his son that college is to have fun. He didn't say focus on his studies.

I already said why it was a surprise. The father doesn't have to do shit...just like he did most of the kids life. Now all the sudden he wants to be father of the yr and buy his sons affection. The only reason he lived with his dad was cuz her son fucked up and made it known he didn't really live in the school district so he had to move in. His dad didn't even want him there and took 2 yrs to even give him a key.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.