Reload this Page >

To call or not to call...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-03-12, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long story short... my previous boss was recruited by a new company and left. He called me shortly thereafter and asked me to apply for an open position in his new department stating he didn't care for the candidates they had. Was the first person (of at least four) they interviewed on July 23. Interview went fantastic. I sent him a thank you email and he said they were hoping to reach a decision "by early next week" which would be early this week. We are at Friday.

Should I give this guy a ring to see what's up or hold steady? I don't want to appear pushy or desperate, but I also don't want the guy to think I'm not interested.
Old 08-03-12, 10:37 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Re: To call or not to call...

I wouldn't think a brief followup call would appear pushy or desperate. You might even turn the call into another thank you for the interview and ask if there was anything that need to be clarified.
Old 08-03-12, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When it comes to hiring matters, I typically wait a week after the timeframe given to me by someone before following up - so early next week. I always think back to when I've been doing the hiring and all the other shit that comes up that distracts me from it, plus it's summer so maybe decision makers are on vacation or something. I think a week or so after gives them enough time to get it together and enough space for you to follow up without looking pushy or desperate. Good luck.
Old 08-03-12, 10:44 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u0PUrNwvvBk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-03-12, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On your drive home from work, just send him a text asking if they've come to a decision.
Old 08-03-12, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
On your drive home from work, just send him a text asking if they've come to a decision.
Just make sure you don't go over a cliff!
Old 08-03-12, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No reason to call in my opinion. If they want you for the job, they'll call you. If they've already forgotten about you, a phone call to remind them isn't going to help you in any way. If you've already sent an email, that's all you should do in my opinion.
Old 08-03-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vryce View Post
I wouldn't think a brief followup call would appear pushy or desperate. You might even turn the call into another thank you for the interview and ask if there was anything that need to be clarified.
This.

A brief follow up call is a good thing. Make it a 'thank you' thing, for thinking of you and the opportunity, and tell him if he needs anything to let you know. Leave it at that, unless more is made of it from his end.
Old 08-03-12, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vryce View Post
He already sent an email thank you. 2 thank you's in the course of a week?

Would you call a girl twice in the same week after a first date? Same thing. Like I said, if the company is interested in you, they will get in touch with you. Same as the girl. No amount of reminding is going to get the girl to like you, just as no amount of calling and thanking and reminding that you had an interview a week earlier is going to get you the job. It's not like the company will be like "Oh shit...I completely forgot about madcougar. He's the perfect man for the job. I'm so glad he called again to remind us to hire him."
Old 08-03-12, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
No reason to call in my opinion. If they want you for the job, they'll call you. If they've already forgotten about you, a phone call to remind them isn't going to help you in any way. If you've already sent an email, that's all you should do in my opinion.
He already sent an email thank you. 2 thank you's in the course of a week?

Would you call a girl twice in the same week after a first date? Same thing. Like I said, if the company is interested in you, they will get in touch with you. Same as the girl. No amount of reminding is going to get the girl to like you, just as no amount of calling and thanking and reminding that you had an interview a week earlier is going to get you the job. It's not like the company will be like "Oh shit...I completely forgot about madcougar. He's the perfect man for the job. I'm so glad he called again to remind us to hire him."
Actually, unlike dating, it makes you appear more eager than other candidates in a non-creepy way. A simple call to follow up on the proceedings keeps you more fresh in their minds, so it's not a bad thing at all.
Old 08-03-12, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
Actually, unlike dating, it makes you appear more eager than other candidates in a non-creepy way. A simple call to follow up on the proceedings keeps you more fresh in their minds, so it's not a bad thing at all.
To each his own I guess, but as somebody that does hiring, I disagree. I keep track of my candidates and I know who's good and who's not good. If an applicant calls more or less asking why I haven't called him back yet (the applicant wouldn't use those words, but that's really why he's calling) that would most likely just piss me off. Trust me. I wouldn't have forgotten about a good applicant.
Old 08-03-12, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
Exactly. I've done plenty of hiring in my day and if I gave a deadline and didn't meet it, I'd expect calls from the people I had interviewed. A friend of mine once told me his dad never hired anyone at his company if they didn't follow up about the job.

That said, I'd wait until Monday. That gets you out of the promised week (even if it was supposed to be at the beginning) and into the justifiably curious follow-up range.
Old 08-03-12, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Just get over it and go out with someone else.
Old 08-03-12, 01:51 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Write him a strongly worded letter about his lack of punctuality.
Old 08-03-12, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

He called you about the job didn't he? Call. It's not like he doesn't already know you. You're long past the first few awkward dates. Go for second base.
Old 08-03-12, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
Write him a strongly worded letter about his lack of punctuality.
You should take it further than this. If they want to hire you, tell them that you don't want to work for them anymore because of their lack of punctuality! That will teach them!
Old 08-03-12, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To each his own I guess, but as somebody that does hiring, I disagree. I keep track of my candidates and I know who's good and who's not good. If an applicant calls more or less asking why I haven't called him back yet (the applicant wouldn't use those words, but that's really why he's calling) that would most likely just piss me off. Trust me. I wouldn't have forgotten about a good applicant.
I have to agree with this. This past year, I was put in charge of the hiring for our company. After speaking with many applicants, I set aside the ones we were interested in. As we were combing through some of the maybes, I was inundated with "follow up" calls & e-mails on a daily basis. Some just "checking in." Some wanting to know if they can clarify something we didn't understand. Some wanting to know when a decision will be made. Some wanting to schedule another appointment to discuss more. It was absolutely annoying and it cost each one of them the jobs we had available.

You have to realize that you're not the only one after this job. And you're not the only one who would be calling to inquire about it. You don't want to be at the wrong end of a day of answering "follow up" calls.

A simple "Thank You" e-mail was enough.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 08-03-12 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-03-12, 03:27 PM

Starting rant....

Is it that hard for companies to just put out general information that almost every job seeker is looking for? Things like a time frame (posted date, decision date, start date), job salary range (I hate it when they don't post at least a minimum and then ask you in the first interview, but if you ask them, you get the old based on experience crap, you have a range, just tell us!).

Maybe you wouldn't get as many call backs if you just said this stuff up front. Also, maybe even post a status update for things like taking resumes, picked your top applicants, found someone, hired someone, etc then everyone will be on the same page.

Ending rant.
Old 08-03-12, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They don't do any of that because they don't need to, especially in the current job market.
Old 08-03-12, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Valeyard View Post
It was absolutely annoying and it cost each one of them the jobs we had available.
Maybe I'm not reading your post correctly, but are you saying some people that were qualified for a position were excluded simply because they called or emailed you to check on things?
Old 08-03-12, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
He called you about the job didn't he? Call. It's not like he doesn't already know you. You're long past the first few awkward dates. Go for second base.
I agree...under a normal situation, I wouldn't call. But this guy called and asked you to apply...how many times does that happen in a hiring situation. I'd call him up and find out what's up.
Old 08-03-12, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

There's no harm in calling. If anything, I would argue against making you seem desperate and making you seem interested.

At one of my first jobs (as a teenager), I was given a tip to call the manager every day to ask how the application was coming. After about a week of this, they hire you, figuring you are committed enough.

I can't argue with their logic, especially if you are hiring 15-year olds.
Old 08-03-12, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Valeyard View Post
I have to agree with this. This past year, I was put in charge of the hiring for our company. After speaking with many applicants, I set aside the ones we were interested in. As we were combing through some of the maybes, I was inundated with "follow up" calls & e-mails on a daily basis. Some just "checking in." Some wanting to know if they can clarify something we didn't understand. Some wanting to know when a decision will be made. Some wanting to schedule another appointment to discuss more. It was absolutely annoying and it cost each one of them the jobs we had available.

You have to realize that you're not the only one after this job. And you're not the only one who would be calling to inquire about it. You don't want to be at the wrong end of a day of answering "follow up" calls.

A simple "Thank You" e-mail was enough.

I hire a lot of people, and this is correct.

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
There's no harm in calling. If anything, I would argue against making you seem desperate and making you seem interested.

At one of my first jobs (as a teenager), I was given a tip to call the manager every day to ask how the application was coming. After about a week of this, they hire you, figuring you are committed enough.

I can't argue with their logic, especially if you are hiring 15-year olds.
On the other hand, this is absurd. I would never hire someone who did this.
Old 08-04-12, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I think we need to clarify who the OP is calling. I think he is calling his former boss, not the pencil-neck HR person who lives through his job because it is the only power he will ever hold in the world.

Calling your former boss would not be out of line; particularly since he recruited you.

Any company who gives their HR people power in hiring is making a huge mistake. HR should act as a consultant through the hiring process. HR should ensure all laws are followed and proper procedures are adhered to. HR should NEVER be the decision maker.
Old 08-04-12, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by auto View Post
On the other hand, this is absurd. I would never hire someone who did this.
You wouldn't hire someone who is following the request you've given?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.