Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Five Million Dollar Question.

Old 07-31-12, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Five Million Dollar Question.

Lets say a family member of yours died and left you 5 million dollars in his/her will. The catch is you have to spend the money to do something "cool" and "innovative" to help the community that you live in. What "cool and innovative" means I do not know. I guess something that hasn't been done before. What would you do with the money? Any ideas?

Yes, I may have come into 5 million dollars with this interesting stipulation. It's kinda like Brewster's Millions, but I have to use the money for good. Maybe that's where he/she got the idea from.
Old 07-31-12, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Five Million Dollar Question.

This is easy...use the $5 million to become a low-budget Batman.
Old 07-31-12, 02:37 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

I think lots of keg parties fit the definition of "good."
Old 07-31-12, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree with Bandoman, mix this with the Bill Murray: Party Crasher thread and you'll have an epic event that puts your community on the map.

Or build a Dropzone, every community can use a good one with a quality plane (read: not a tiny Cessna)

Last edited by RichC2; 07-31-12 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-31-12, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can also rid the streets of prostitution by hiring them as personal maids.
Old 07-31-12, 02:41 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Seriously, though: have a neighborhood bbq/party and ask your neighbors how they think the money should be spent. maybe there's a local park that needs fixing up. Getting the whole neighborhood together on this would make the community stronger, and would make you pretty popular. Of course, once people know you have access to that kind of money, you'll probably be robbed.
Old 07-31-12, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spend $10,000 on lawyer to find simple loophole that allows me to keep the bulk of the five million.
Old 07-31-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Spend $10,000 on lawyer to find simple loophole that allows me to keep the bulk of the five million.
Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner.
Old 07-31-12, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Ever seen Brewster's Millions? I'm not interested in the 5 million. I just have to find a way to spend it. The coolest idea/plan that is implemented gets the rest of the money. It's kinda a competition with other people. I have 6 months to come up with a plan and another 6 months after that to implement it.
Old 07-31-12, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would start a school where local children could actually get an education. There would be no tuition, but a rigorous application process. Parents would be expected to participate.
Old 07-31-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
I would start a school where local children could actually get an education. There would be no tuition, but a rigorous application process. Parents would be expected to participate.
Something dealing with education would be nice, but I don't know how far 5 million would go to start a school, where tuition would be free.
Old 07-31-12, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A really well planned public park enhances communities in many ways. A place for people to go, children to play, helps with property values, etc.

You could put together a great park with that amount I bet.
Old 07-31-12, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Depending on your location, I would start a community garden to show kids the benefits to growing their own food. With that much start-up $, you could supply the whole neighborhood with fruit/vegetables.
Old 07-31-12, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How many people in the community? And how wealthy of an area? If it's 1,000 households (or less) and middle or lower class, receiving $5,000 would have a far more positive effect on their lives than anything anyone's going to cook up. Just give it away.
Old 07-31-12, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If I was to go the park route it would have to be something "innovative" with the park. High technology jumbotron in the middle of the park or something.
Old 07-31-12, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
How many people in the community? And how wealthy of an area? If it's 1,000 households (or less) and middle or lower class, receiving $5,000 would have a far more positive effect on their lives than anything anyone's going to cook up. Just give it away.
I would be doing it in a small city (50k people) lower middle class area. University, regional medical center, little industry, rural area, they were trying to bring in technology jobs into the area, but have done a poor job of it thus far. I don't live there anymore, but I did when the will was made out, thus I have to do it there.
Old 07-31-12, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool and innovative? Easy, build an ice cream making robot. The innovative part is that the ice cream comes out of the nipples
Old 07-31-12, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Take a repressed park (or area of town) known for prostitution/drugs and other crimes and drop a well lit 24 hour skate park there as well as a community garden in near proximity where neighborhood community organizations can meet on the weekends and organize classes.
Old 07-31-12, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Put in astroturf for everyone. No more wasting life or time on mowing the fucking lawn.
Old 07-31-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Simple.

Say you're going to donate it to a children's hospital, but instead, put it in a few secret bank accounts in the Cayman Islands and Switzerland.

Later, from somewhere nice in South America, text the lawyer about what you did. You'll get five million for sure that way, but there's a bonus. You might get the rest because you are a filthy scumbag who stole from sick children. The community is much better without you!
Old 07-31-12, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lemdog View Post
If I was to go the park route it would have to be something "innovative" with the park. High technology jumbotron in the middle of the park or something.
A playground all tricked out with cool stuff and recycled tire rubber flooring, one of those computerized water fountains that people can both play in a look at, lots of other cool features come to mind. You can do a lot in a park these days.

"Innovative" does not mean 'high tech'.
Old 07-31-12, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 07-31-12, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You buy 1,000 iPads. You distribute them to 50 of the poorest elementary schools in the country (20 per) and you pay for 1 year's internet service for all the schools. The catch is that each of the schools you choose must have at least 50 students become "pen pals" with at least one other child in another part of the country. In addition to writing emails to each other, the kids can also talk face to face using facetime. Other than the stipulation that the schools use the iPads for the pen pal program, they can use them however they want.

You're welcome.
Old 07-31-12, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
A playground all tricked out with cool stuff and recycled tire rubber flooring, one of those computerized water fountains that people can both play in a look at, lots of other cool features come to mind. You can do a lot in a park these days.

"Innovative" does not mean 'high tech'.
It doesn't mean playgrounds and water fountains either.
Old 07-31-12, 04:40 PM

I love how you guys are arguing about the "intent" of a dead fictional person in a hypothetical situation.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.